Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
With dosdudes Catalina patcher you have to install the legacy graphics driver after install. Then reboot. Graphics will be fixed. It fixed it on my 5,1 anyway. Your mileage may vary.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
On MacPro5,1 from Mojave, installed Catalina Dosdude1 patch and had very poor graphics so... I went to install BigSur with OCLP... now using OCLP EFI Big Sur boots but I can only make it boot in Safe Mode.

When I restart with Option key I see EFI created by Dosdude1's Catalina install also as an option.

Is the Catalina EFI not allowing the normal boot ? How do I get rid off ? since I don't need it anyway.
Catalina EFI boot does not affect OCLP EFI boot. Maybe you need to reinstall Big Sur. What GPU are you using?

ClaudAA

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
Catalina EFI boot does not affect OCLP EFI boot. Maybe you need to reinstall Big Sur. What GPU are you using?
Nividia Quadro Metal 4000, fully compatible. YES, I reinstalled 3 times...different USB drives, and SATA SSD and PCIe SSD, same results.

Do not understand why cannot boot but in Safe mode...

Catalina EFI boot .... I just do not want to see it there in the Option boot screen, no use for it. How do I get rid of it ???

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Nividia Quadro Metal 4000, fully compatible. YES, I reinstalled 3 times...different USB drives, and SATA SSD and PCIe SSD, same results.

Do not understand why cannot boot but in Safe mode...

Catalina EFI boot .... I just do not want to see it there in the Option boot screen, no use for it. How do I get rid of it ???
Mount the EFI partition containing the Catalina EFI boot and remove the efi file. One of the Catalina EFI boot files is name startup.nsh.
Google "joevt" "startup.nsh" site:macrumors.com

AngelOlsenStan

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2023
Helo everyone.

iMac9,1 works ok with High Sierra, after some fiddling.

Now I'm trying to get Catalina with the final update package. I keep trying the recommended update procedure, and it's not taking. Now the OTA patch thing is giving me a cryptic "-192" (iirc) error no matter what i do.

About to wipe and reload patched Catalina from USB again, but I'm not envisioning it magically working, unless i can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Strongly considering reading the source code and hacking at it myself. Probably a rabbit hole I'll regret.

From what i gather, OCLP is not a good match for this machine. If i recall, it's got a 9400M gpu.

Might have to settle for a lesser version. Yeah, High Sierra works, but the shelf life is shortening by the day.

dikafe

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Hello! It's been almost half a year since I had installed 10.15.7 OS with dosdude's patcher on mbp 5,3 and I had minor issues so far except of one, which is rather counterproductive.
The problem narrows down to gpu panics (not always, but often) when I try to switch from a web browser (Chrome and Firefox for sure) to Unity in my particular use case. In a more broad perspective I believe the problem lies in switching between an app that is not requiring the discrete gpu (chrome or firefox) to one that does (Unity). My conclusion is that it's the switching that gives the panics and not the performance of the geforce gpus themselves.
I tried a few unsuccessful workarounds (which I mention below), but at this point I am wondering if there is a way to permanently disable the integrated gpu (geforce 9400M), by deleting kext files or some other really permanent (but hopefully reversible if needed) method.

To whoever wants to check some more of my observations around the issue:
  • I have noticed several topics about disabling the discrete gpu especially in the 2011 models for specific reasons, but very few info for the other way around, so I'm unaware of secure method to do it.
  • I have tried gSwitch, pmset commands to force the use of discrete gpu, but I cannot conclude if the gpu switching is actually disabled.
  • I have not even figured out if the mid 2009 mbp is actually capable to switch gpu at run-time (with the supported OSs a logout is needed to perform the switch), therefore I cannot tell for sure if it's the switching problematic or it just never happens and the problem lies elsewhere (e.g. failing hardware).
  • I suspect the switching to be the source though, because I can run Unity or other graphics intensive apps without problem, for as long as it takes, and only when I have activated a firefox window and then I return to Unity quite frequently the panic will occur (screen flickers and then everything freezes except of the mouse pointer. I strongly believe the cpu and OS is running normally at this point, no overheating, etc, only the gpu does not deliver graphics and there is no user interaction). If I manage to quickly cmd+Q Unity I will skip the panic, but most of the times I can't, so I have to power off the computer. If I leave it hanging for a long time, it might catch the cmd+Q event at some point, close Unity, and then the system recovers.
  • I mention Unity and Firefox (or Chrome) in particular, because I use these apps lately, so I have only noticed this issue with those. The strange thing is that (to my experience so far) it only occurs when changing windows between the browser and Unity not from other applications to Unity. Also, I don't know if it is worth mentioning that I could not manage hardware graphics acceleration on both firefox and chrome and this is the main reason I assume they employ the integrated gpu, not the discrete. The same is indicated by the Activity Monitor too, although I don't know, if this is just theoritical info provided by the app and not an actual report of the system.
  • I always use an external monitor (and when one is plugged in, the employment of the discrete gpu is supposed to be always forced), and I haven't tested if the problem persists without one. (I could unplug it, just for testing, but it's of no use to me, so maybe some other time)
  • At some point I post installed the patches again leaving out the Legacy Video Card patch and the system (to my surprise) would perform very well (only opening some windows where a bit flicker-ish for a second, however, opening web pages felt snappier, but this could be a placebo not an actual effect). Nevertheless, the gpu panics reoccured. I have also disabled some effects in Accessibility options, but it did not help.
  • I also thought to reapply thermal paste (although I did it relatively recently) and I found no certain resource which implies that the battery's health (mine is below nominal) could be somehow related. I personally doubt on both of these points however. Moreover, I found out that some people have replaced the C9560 capacitor on 2010 models, which is responsible for gpu switching as far as I understand, but I don't prefer to go down this road yet.
I very much appreciate any help, because it's the only computer I have for the time being.

UPDATE two days later: While I was typing the above post, it crossed my mind to test with the Safari browser (which I had abandoned for several other reasons soon after installing Catalina). Despite the gpu switching guess as the source of the problem, I had only noticed the panics when changing from Chrome browser originally and later from Firefox to Unity and not between other applications. In short, two days later and not a single crash occurred. So whoever can speculate why was that, I appreciate your insight.

Last edited:

Trallo trallo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2023
Hi all,
I have a MacBook White Unibody, 13", Mid 2010, 2,4 GHz Core 2 Duo.
I managed to upgrade to Catalina thanks to the Dosdude1 work.

I bought this white Macbook for my sister as she needs to take online exams, but by coincidence the only way it is with Chrome linked with lockdown browser. Google Chrome is not working anymore, so she is waiting for me (we live in different cities) to solve her problem with Chrome.

Now, circa one year ago, I downloaded the two patches: library validation and video etc. and the computer could not boot anymore, stuck at a blank white screen. I managed to boot from the USB Catalina and downgraded the Mac without the patches. So, I am puzzled now: To fix Chrome, do I need to use the sudo nvram boot-args=amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1 as dosdude1 explains without problems?
I need to upgrade only the library validation patch maybe after one year dosdude corrected the error?
Let me know, so I can instruct my sister and guide her via video call. Thank you very much. Trallo

dikafe

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Given the chance, I would like to also report the popular problem where the chrome does not open (after reboot).
I am not sure of the exact origin of the problem, but as far I can remember it started after one of the gpu panics I'm describing on post #15,808. It could have been a coincidence though.
All the workarounds I tried and patch post-installs were unsuccessful and I could in no way start the application. Only after reinstalling Catalina (normal reinstall, not clean) and restoring Chrome from a former backup before the date the problem occurred, it fixed Chrome. For a short time though...Not very long later -maybe after some certain Chrome's update- the problem relapsed. With only difference this time being that, if I navigate to the contents folder of Chrome's installation and start it with terminal or just Right-click-open, it will start. Once it is open then it functions normally and I can close and reopen it however I like.
In combination with the problem on post #15,808, I decided to use Firefox, which had never such an issue so far. Neither any other application (among the few) I have installed.

Trallo trallo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2023
Thank you for your answer.
The other browser are fine. The real problem is for that exam she needs to work with lockdown browser (university browser) and apparently lockdown browser works only in combination with google chrome. As result, she is going to take the exam with a friend's computer. Very annoying! Also, I could only try to repair chrome via Anydesk, so I need to be careful as the last time the Mac could not boot anymore.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Has anyone else been finding that it's impossible to run Brave Browser or Chrome? For me, Brave crashes immediately or opens to blank window -- unless I use a new install pkg and then open it from the command line:

open /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app --args --no-sandbox

And then it is accompanied by the warning:

“You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer.”

OTOH, Firefox runs perfectly normally.

Any ideas for a fix?

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Has anyone else been finding that it's impossible to run Brave Browser or Chrome? For me, Brave crashes immediately or opens to blank window -- unless I use a new install pkg and then open it from the command line:

open /Applications/Brave\ Browser.app --args --no-sandbox

And then it is accompanied by the warning:

“You are using an unsupported command-line flag: --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer.”

OTOH, Firefox runs perfectly normally.

Any ideas for a fix?
Does it look like this?
No idea how to fix this. Though I’ve got another chromium browser that works perfectly, so it’s chrome issue. Maybe it’s somehow trying to use GPU?

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Does it look like this?
No idea how to fix this. Though I’ve got another chromium browser that works perfectly, so it’s chrome issue. Maybe it’s somehow trying to use GPU?
Sorry, just got around to seeing this. Looked at YT video, but just not clear enough to be able to compare. Have pretty much given up on Catalina for Ventura via Open Core OCLP.

boredandlonely

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
I finally got around to trying the patcher and installing Catalina. It did not go well.

MBP 17" md-2010

First attempt:
I created the thumb drive without issue.
I booted the thumb drive without issue.
I installed Catalina, seemingly without issue.
The machine restarted and continued installation.... then a problem:

I don't think I missed a restart, but now the MBP appears to be asleep and won't wake. The screen is black, and the light is doing a very low pulse.
I finally had to hold the power button to shut down.
I tried to power up a few minutes later, and nothing.
I waited longer and tried again, and MBP still won't start or react at all.
I tried to resert SMC, and still nothing.
I unplugged all accessories and reset SMC again, and still nothing.
After about 10 minutes I tried the power button one last time and it finally started!
I held down option, and picked the Catalina drive, but it never boots. It diverts to a different drive.
I option boot again, and picked the thumb installer. I used Disk Utility First Aiid to check the Catalina drives and they are fine.
I ran the Post-Install tool just to make sure that wasn't the issue.
I restarted and Catalina was the startup drive, but it diverted to another drive.
I restarted, held down option, selected Catalina again, booted, and it still diverted to another drive.

Second attempt:
I re-downloaded the patcher.
I re-downloaded the macos installer.
I re-made the thumb drive.
I booted the thumb drive without issue..... then a problem:

Now it says my installer is damaged.
I tried the macos installer used to make the thumb drive, and it works fine.

Third attempt:
I created a MacOS Extended Journaled partition.
I tried to create a bootable drive installer. The patcher tool said I succeded.... then the problem:

The drive is NOT bootable, and contents do not match the previously made thumb drive.
I repeated the process 2 more times with the same result.

Fourth attempt:
I created a MacOS Extended Journaled partition.
I tried to clone the thumb drive to my partition. Partition becomes bootable.... then the problem:

Booting off the partition and I get the "[?]-folder" boot error.
I restart, hold down option, and now only the previous thumb drive is available, and all my drives are gone.
I go into Disk Utility and find all my drives are unmounted and refuse to mount.
I used First Aid and the drives are all okay, they just refuse to mount.
I shut down, pull out thumb drives, start up, hold option... all my drives finally come back.
Deleted my install partition.

Fifth attempt:
I went back and booted the previous thumb drive.... then a problem:

Now it says my installer is damaged, which it DIDN'T the first time I used it.
I go into Disk Utility and find all my drives are unmounted and refuse to mount, which it DIDN'T the first time I used it. It's very disconcerting that this behavior somehow jumped from the new thumb to the old thumb.
I rebooted and tried my Unsupported Mojave thumb drive, and it works fine and sees all my drives. No idea why the Unsupported Catalina thumbs went from good to bad and won't mount any drives.

Anything sound familiar and have a fix?

If I run the Patcher and choose "Install to this machine", will it allow me to pick a blank drive, or does it install on top of a current OS?

Last edited:

PapaPiccolino

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
How important is SIP (System Integrity Protection) ?

I just installed 10.15 Catalina on a Mac pro 5.1 (mid 2012) using the dosdude patcher. The installation went well although I've not started using the computer. I needed to disable SIP prior to installation, but now I cannot re enable it. I'm definitely following the right procedure (booting into recovery mode), and using the correct Terminal command. I suspect the patcher needs SIP to remain disabled in order to work correctly, but this is just a guess.

I don't know what SIP does, or how important it is, and whether leaving it disabled is an issue.

Thanking you in advance.

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, now my second chromium browser died on OSX Catalina installed with patch on MBP 2011. I'm quite angry cause i don't know what to do and internet won't help :(

Same story:

At first i was chrome and now it's yandex browser.

RichE1920

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2024
Macbook pro 8,1 13" 2011 install/boot hung bar 1/3 across

Used Dosdude's patcher to put 10.15 on this system, works fine. Would like to go to higher MacOS, ideally Sonoma, but anything newer would be great.

Used the opencore patcher to create usb installer. Ran app, downloaded sonoma, added EFI(?). Boots fine to the USB EFI, then select the installer from the opencore start, all goes well, starts installing to internal SSD that has the 10.15 on it in partition 1 (partitioned to 3 80G partitions). Partitions are SSD1 SSD2 and SSD2. Installing to SSD2. I don't watch it whole time, looks like it reboots at least once, then continues with the bar across and estimated time.

After a while, check again and no time listed any more, bar about 1/3 (more like 2/5) across (stops right under the left side of the apple logo). Then nothing. Hold power button down to shutdown. Turn on, option, USB EFI, then select SSD2, get same boot 'til it stops at same point.

Tried Ventura and Monterey with same results. UGH. Don't know what to do/try next.

Oh, still figuring how APFS works with containers vs. partitions, tried removing 2 partitions, then creating SSD2 container, install goes the same, with same result at end, just stops 1/3 across. Not sure if it's still trying to install, or boot or ???

What do I do next/diagnose/troubleshoot? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, my Chrome-based browsers stopped working in this modded OS. No idea what happened. I managed to launch Chrome via this command: Chrome.app --args -no-sandbox

But maybe there is a way to fix it in better way? I've got another Chome-based browser, and that's it error log:

scholefn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi - this might be a newbie question but do I erase the target HDD during the process? I have a 9,1 iMac and have created the Dosdude1 Catalina installer USB fine from another Mac. I can boot from it and then run 'reinstall MacOS'. It seems to do its thing but at the end I get an error 'MacOS could not be installed on your computer' - 'Volume contains an OS X release that is too old'.

I can get to the Disk Utility from the installer so do I just 'Erase' the main HDD and then reinstall OS?

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA
Hi - this might be a newbie question but do I erase the target HDD during the process? I have a 9,1 iMac and have created the Dosdude1 Catalina installer USB fine from another Mac. I can boot from it and then run 'reinstall MacOS'. It seems to do its thing but at the end I get an error 'MacOS could not be installed on your computer' - 'Volume contains an OS X release that is too old'.

I can get to the Disk Utility from the installer so do I just 'Erase' the main HDD and then reinstall OS?
No because his installer will erase it for you if I remember correctly.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

Catalina should be installed to a new partition. Then you can use Migration Assistant to copy apps and docs and prefs from another partition.

You can reinstall Catalina on top of an existing Catalina to update it or fix it without erasing anything.

scholefn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Catalina should be installed to a new partition. Then you can use Migration Assistant to copy apps and docs and prefs from another partition.

You can reinstall Catalina on top of an existing Catalina to update it or fix it without erasing anything.
Got it, thanks. I don't care about anything on the old disk - I want to start afresh. I'll see if I can work out how to do a new partition. The iMac won't boot to the old version anyhow.

Furka

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Guys, now my second chromium browser died on OSX Catalina installed with patch on MBP 2011. I'm quite angry cause i don't know what to do and internet won't help :(

Same story:

At first i was chrome and now it's yandex browser.
Try Orion. It works perfectly on CatalinaOS and can make wepapps from urls, like Safari on Sonoma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.