Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
Hello, I have a MacBook Pro (13 inch, early 2011, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i5 de doble núcleo and 16GB RAM) I running on it Mac Os Catalina 10.15.7, and I have a problem with the webcam, is working on facetime but it doesn't work in Skype, how can I fix it, if not, wich is the most recen OS that I can run in this MacBook with the less issues? Thanks in advance.
With MACos, try Big Sur with Open Core Legacy Patcher.

With Linux, I like Manjaro.

makra

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2020
Northern Germany
Hello, I have a MacBook Pro (13 inch, early 2011, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i5 de doble núcleo and 16GB RAM) I running on it Mac Os Catalina 10.15.7, and I have a problem with the webcam, is working on facetime but it doesn't work in Skype, how can I fix it, if not, wich is the most recen OS that I can run in this MacBook with the less issues? Thanks in advance.
I would have a go with Monterey and OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.5.0.

But have a look at tccplus, if you want to stick with Catalina - that should cope with your problem.

Gibang

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2023
I was (MBP 13" Late 2011, i7,16GB RAM) recently solved same issue with following guide from this below:

Reactions: Elgatilla

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I've recently been trying to get Catalina patcher to work for a macmini4,1 and imac10,1 (very similar hardware) but I've been having no luck at all.

Both systems are currently running fully up-to-date High Sierra installs with boot ROM support for APFS, though neither system is currently using APFS on their internal drives (as they are stock HDDs I'm going to replace), however I'm not installing to these.

I'm installing clean to an APFS formatted SSD in an external USB enclosure, my intention being to get the systems ready in advance of swapping in the SSDs, while leaving the known good High Sierra installs untouched (as it turns out, a very good precaution to take 😉).

I was able to get both systems working with Mojave installed in this way using dosdue1's Mojave patcher, but I have thus far had no luck with either system using dosdude1's Catalina patcher in otherwise identical circumstances.

To install Catalina I'm using a USB installer created with Catalina patcher from a copy of Catalina downloaded by the patcher as well. Installation proceeds as expected, however when I progress to the point of starting up from the finished install (not the installer volume), all I get is either the grey Apple logo and no progress bar, or if I get a progress bar it advances very slowly, in both cases no matter how long I leave it the system it never finishes starting up.

I also haven't had any luck in finding any clues as to what might be wrong; I've tried starting up in safe or verbose modes but neither seems to work (exact same boot screen, no extra information). I've also tried booting back into the USB patcher to run the post-install patches (with force kext cache rebuild) in case patching was being skipped by the installer, but that doesn't work either. I've attempted to do the install now three times, with a fully erased disk two of those times, it has made no difference.

Everything seems to suggest I should be able to install Catalina on these systems using the patcher, but it just won't work. Is there some incompatibility between the current version of Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest patcher (1.4.7)? Maybe a security update that was integrated and breaks one of the patches or something? Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited:

pkordolian

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2022
I have same problem as @haravikk - macmini 4,1 with High Sierra installed - however the final result somehow different. After first reboot (during catalina installation): "The installer is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS". It is decsribed in FAQ as patcher vs installer version conflict ("This happens when using a release of the macOS Catalina Installer App that is incompatible with the version of Catalina Patcher you are using. Download the latest Catalina Installer using the latest Catalina Patcher version."). Since both (patcher and installer) were downloaded just today installer via patcher) it looks that some changes in installer might occurred - or there is some other issue with versions. Will check in a while - after several SSD changes for Catalina and patcher instalation on USB, SSD and finally SDcard (!!) I've installed High Sierra ssd back :)

Lostdotfish

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2023
Can anyone help? I'm trying to follow this guide - https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/install-macos-catalina-unsupported-mac/

I've created a patched install USB but when I boot from it, the Apple logo progress bar takes a very long time to fill and then nothing happens once the bar is full. The install never starts.

Target machine is a late 2011 MBP 13"

I've tried a couple of different USB sticks in case that was the issue and I get the same result

Last edited:

Lostdotfish

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2023
Can anyone help? I'm trying to follow this guide - https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/install-macos-catalina-unsupported-mac/

I've created a patched install USB but when I boot from it, the Apple logo progress bar takes a very long time to fill and then nothing happens once the bar is full. The install never starts.

I've tried a couple of different USB sticks in case that was the issue and I get the same result

Replying to myself in case anyone else stumbles across this. The latest version of Catalina pulled by the patcher doesn't seem to be working. I "found" and old Catalina install DMG (10.15.4) and used patcher version 1.4.4 - https://github.com/dosdude1/macos-catalina-patcher/releases

This now installs

Deltakon

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2022
I have a computer from 2012 that I changed the RAM to 16gb and hard drive. The whole computer works great without any problems but it is not supported for update anymore. Is it possible to update it somehow?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016

Hi Lostdotfish I own the same device and luckily I could help as I have all of these behind me
(so I am on MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) on macOS Catalina 10.15.7, only Continuity is not working yet - but Airdrop is alive <3).

I installed MacOs Installer on usb-3.0 pendrive following steps from this site and files from it:
click on [Download Latest Version]
catalina

Direct link to tutorial: How to Install macOS 10.15 Catalina on an Unsupported Mac

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I have a computer from 2012 that I changed the RAM to 16gb and hard drive. The whole computer works great without any problems but it is not supported for update anymore. Is it possible to update it somehow?
Yes, but don't. --In fact, backgrade it (from Catalina or whatever) to run Mojave in an HFS+ partition.

Throw Safari in the trash; replace it with Vivaldi and Opera.

vorob

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Guys, first of all thank you very much for your work, to make it possible installing 10.15 on older Macs. You saved my day. My father uses MBP 2011 and after 12 years AMD card is dead. I wanted to disable it and sit on High Sierra, but I would lose sleep and brightness control. And then I found that Catalina can solve all my issues, so it's a deal breaker! Newer OS, brightness and sleep keeps functioning.

I did all that was requested but installed over High Sierra my father was using, so its more like an OS upgrade. Testing it now and all seems to function properly except few little things.

1. Third-party programs were giving me errors, but after some googling I used terminal command:

sudo nvram boot-args=amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1

It fixed my issue and now all apps are launching as they should. But what is this command? What did it do?

2. If I open videos from iPhone (HDR HEVC) in QuickTime, it just reboots OS X interface. Click on a file and boom I'm at login screen. If I use, for eg, IINA player, it works. It's expected in Catalina on unsupported Mac or it's my personal issue? Moreover, if I spotlight search for such file it also crash the interface.

3. I also don't have Siri animation when I open Siri search.

Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Guys, first of all thank you very much for your work, to make it possible installing 10.15 on older Macs. You saved my day. My father uses MBP 2011 and after 12 years AMD card is dead. I wanted to disable it and sit on High Sierra, but I would lose sleep and brightness control. And then I found that Catalina can solve all my issues, so it's a deal breaker! Newer OS, brightness and sleep keeps functioning.

I did all that was requested but installed over High Sierra my father was using, so its more like an OS upgrade. Testing it now and all seems to function properly except few little things.

1. Third-party programs were giving me errors, but after some googling I used terminal command:

sudo nvram boot-args=amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1

It fixed my issue and now all apps are launching as they should. But what is this command? What did it do?

2. If I open videos from iPhone (HDR HEVC) in QuickTime, it just reboots OS X interface. Click on a file and boom I'm at login screen. If I use, for eg, IINA player, it works. It's expected in Catalina on unsupported Mac or it's my personal issue? Moreover, if I spotlight search for such file it also crash the interface.

3. I also don't have Siri animation when I open Siri search.
I don't have much experience with Catalina on unsupported Macs, but:

1. I believe it disables Apple Mobile File Integrity check.
2. and 3. Metal capable GPU is required for a proper hardware acceleration and animations. Your IINA player is just using CPU power to muscle through tasks.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I've recently been trying to get Catalina patcher to work for a macmini4,1 and imac10,1 (very similar hardware) but I've been having no luck at all.

Both systems are currently running fully up-to-date High Sierra installs with boot ROM support for APFS, though neither system is currently using APFS on their internal drives (as they are stock HDDs I'm going to replace), however I'm not installing to these.

I'm installing clean to an APFS formatted SSD in an external USB enclosure, my intention being to get the systems ready in advance of swapping in the SSDs, while leaving the known good High Sierra installs untouched (as it turns out, a very good precaution to take 😉).

I was able to get both systems working with Mojave installed in this way using dosdue1's Mojave patcher, but I have thus far had no luck with either system using dosdude1's Catalina patcher in otherwise identical circumstances.

To install Catalina I'm using a USB installer created with Catalina patcher from a copy of Catalina downloaded by the patcher as well. Installation proceeds as expected, however when I progress to the point of starting up from the finished install (not the installer volume), all I get is either the grey Apple logo and no progress bar, or if I get a progress bar it advances very slowly, in both cases no matter how long I leave it the system it never finishes starting up.

I also haven't had any luck in finding any clues as to what might be wrong; I've tried starting up in safe or verbose modes but neither seems to work (exact same boot screen, no extra information). I've also tried booting back into the USB patcher to run the post-install patches (with force kext cache rebuild) in case patching was being skipped by the installer, but that doesn't work either. I've attempted to do the install now three times, with a fully erased disk two of those times, it has made no difference.

Everything seems to suggest I should be able to install Catalina on these systems using the patcher, but it just won't work. Is there some incompatibility between the current version of Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest patcher (1.4.7)? Maybe a security update that was integrated and breaks one of the patches or something? Is there anything else I can try?
I still haven't had any luck getting my test machine to boot into Catalina, I tried verbose mode today and no luck both using Command + V on startup, and setting nvram boot-args="-v" from the installer; all I see is the grey Apple logo and no progress bar, so it's like it's not even trying to start up since no messages appear at all to describe what's happening.

Where are people getting alternate installer disk images from? My install USB was made from the latest Catalina patcher, and letting it download Catalina using what I assumed would be a good copy, but is it worth me trying a Catalina DMG from another source? If so, where can we get these now?

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
more info is needed from you for anyone to help . its a 2012 what? mac pro, macbook pro? imac?

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Latest update for Chrome crashes after launch and displays a grey screen, on non Metal. Version 117, possibly due to the new theme. Anyone else who can confirm?

davigarma

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2021
Latest update for Chrome crashes after launch and displays a grey screen, on non Metal. Version 117, possibly due to the new theme. Anyone else who can confirm?
Yes, it doesn't start. But it is not 117, it is 116.0.5845.187 that does not start on my machine

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
ATTEMPTS TO INSTALLL CATALINA FAILING, BECAUSE THE TARGET DRIVES ARE NOT FORMATTING AS NEEDED.

1694801531581.png

The scanDisk running catalina on my 2012 CMP Croaked for the most part. It will not start my computer, though most of the files are readable when the machine is booted with a spare installation of High Sierra I was lucky to have had available.

Now, I want install to Catalina and get back to running under it. I have a thumb drive setup as an bootable installer of Catalina, which I created following carefully the instructions and software provided graciously by Mr. Dosdude.

I HAVE THE INSTALLER BUT CANNOT FORMAT A DISK TO HAVE CATALINA INSTALLED

The problem I have is the HDD devices where I expected to install Catalina are not formatting as needed. I tried following the instructions to format them as APFS drives, provided by Mr. DosDude, but that formatting does not seem to be going right. I have not figured out how to reformat those drives as though they are new. When I try formatting APFS onto them, they end up NOT MOUNTED. It looks like there is a container at the top level of these drives that is Apple Journal type of containers so the APFS underneath them will not mount. I tried changing those then tried deleting them..I could not get the formatting of the drives to accept Catalina

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

1. Is there a way to reformat these old hard drives so I can get them running as the APFS needed for Catalina?

2. Is there an inexpensive HDD I can buy that already is formatted APFS to accept a Catalina installation?

shaocaholica

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
When you boot into the installer run disk utility and then choose ‘view all devices’. Select the disk you want to format and hit the ‘erase’ button. Choose APFS and GUID.

Afterwards you should have some hfs+ containers. Don’t worry about that. That’s normal.

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston

I had that problem for awhile with the Catalina installer on a thumb usb drive. The fix was to reformat the usb thumb drive, starting with the top level of what was on there already and make it

catalinainstaller.png

1694807591277.png

Untitled 13.png

startup.png

Last edited:

danallen

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
When you boot into the installer run disk utility and then choose ‘view all devices’. Select the disk you want to format and hit the ‘erase’ button. Choose APFS and GUID.

Afterwards you should have some hfs+ containers. Don’t worry about that. That’s normal.

What if the disk has multiple containers?

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Guys; is this the latest build number (19H2026) of Catalina?

Edit: looks like this one is the latest. Thank you guys.

Last edited:

ClaudAA

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
On MacPro5,1 from Mojave, installed Catalina Dosdude1 patch and had very poor graphics so... I went to install BigSur with OCLP... now using OCLP EFI Big Sur boots but I can only make it boot in Safe Mode.

When I restart with Option key I see EFI created by Dosdude1's Catalina install also as an option.

Is the Catalina EFI not allowing the normal boot ? How do I get rid off ? since I don't need it anyway.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.