Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yes, the eject menubar applet has been around for over a decade. It's just not obvious how you enable it. You can do it in apps like Onyx, or manually:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and double click the Eject.menu icon.
[automerge]1580142656[/automerge]
By the way, the Apple menubar app ejects the first Optical disc or external device it comes across (or whichever one you have selected) ONLY.

A free app called Semulov (volumes spelled backward) offers more control, including the force eject command. It's quite nice in that you can set ignored volumes, add a keyboard shortcut, and more.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I just noticed that when I'm in Safari and then the scheduled Dark Mode activates at first the URL loading indicator's color stays the same but when I completely quit Safari and re-launch it the loading indicator becomes turquoise:
Bildschirmvideo aufnehmen 2020-01-29 um 01.45.47-0001.png

alfon_sico

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2015
I take care that now Photos can import a Live Photo although it was added in the photo stream as a still one

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
A late surprise: programmers who measure free space in a program by the file "/" get the wrong info.
They should change their program in using the file "/Users".
.... assuming that /Users will stay in macOS for a while ....
;JOOP!

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
A late surprise: programmers who measure free space in a program by the file "/" get the wrong info.
They should change their program in using the file "/Users".
.... assuming that /Users will stay in macOS for a while ....
;JOOP!
Catalina split the disk into two volumes. One, read-only, mounted on / and the other, read-write, mounted on /System/Volumes/Data with hard links everywhere (such as /Users). If you do a "df -k" in /Users you'll see what I mean.

The Disk Utility app will show this.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
When have they added the turn on wifi button? I don't recall seeing it before.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 22.12.55.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 22.12.55.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 341

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any way, to find quickly all the obsolete 32bit apps, that no longer work in catalina, and then delete them?
I have a long list of apps, in a dozen of folders (not only the official 'Applications' folder), and it is hard a time consuming to discover them.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Is there any way, to find quickly all the obsolete 32bit apps, that no longer work in catalina, and then delete them?
I have a long list of apps, in a dozen of folders (not only the official 'Applications' folder), and it is hard a time consuming to discover them.
Download 32-bitCheck here: https://eclecticlight.co/32-bitcheck-archichect/. Then just click Scan and pick the folder, and it'll detect any 32-bit applications.

Herpaderpa

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2020
Post screenshots, etc., of the little things that has changed in macOS 10.15 here.

NOTE: As always this is NOT a thread for bugs, questions, or troubleshooting the betas. All posts must present a new feature or function, or new behaviour not mentioned in the keynote. Please screenshot where necessary. Comments on features are welcome, but stay on topic. This is also not a thread for whining about missing features, complaining, in-fighting, or personal agendas. Keep this informative and to the topic at hand.

Just a heads up that many games on Steam won't work when you update to Catalina at all for 32 bit games.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It's incredibly annoying that you can't hide the Time/Date menubar item anymore (since it's tied to Control Center. All those 3rd Party Time/Date/Calendar apps now have to reside further to the left and if they don't allow you to hide the time, you have duplicate clocks in the menubar.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Now i'm on Catalina (...it only took 5 releases to get there)... i can sweat over how bad the little things are.

When you lock a file in Get Info pane on a file it's only visually locked in the pane.. Finder does not show a lock, on the icon(s)

I tried deleting finder.plist, but that didn't seem to work,

You wouldn't know it otherwise, unless you opened up the file(s) i.e combination of RTF/TXT files., the 'lock' would appear in title bar.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.59.17 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.59.17 am.png
    583.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: johnalan

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Hi @Tech198,

this can be considered a bug for sure but there's more behind it. Actually the Lock icon does show in Finder, but only for files that do not offer a icon preview like .zip files and similar. The issue you observe thus is also true for most common photo files and so on. I will fill a bug with the Feedback Assistant (applefeedback://) and you should, too.

Reactions: TimothyR734

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
Can you arrange the width of the sidebar in Mail in settings somewhere? Whenever I open Mail and go full screen, I have to make the sidebar with the mailboxes wider in order to see the full names of the mailboxes. It would be great if I could set the width of the sidebar and it remains fixed, that would save me time and alleviate a lot of annoyance. If anyone knows a way, thanks.
And sorry if this has been asnwered somewhere.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Can you arrange the width of the sidebar in Mail in settings somewhere? Whenever I open Mail and go full screen, I have to make the sidebar with the mailboxes wider in order to see the full names of the mailboxes. It would be great if I could set the width of the sidebar and it remains fixed, that would save me time and alleviate a lot of annoyance. If anyone knows a way, thanks.
And sorry if this has been asnwered somewhere.
My sidebar stays at whatever width I drag it to when in fullscreen, or zoomed, or just as a normal window. I'm running Big Sur, so at least you know a fix is coming if you wanted to upgrade. Otherwise, you could try deleting the preferences file (well, renaming it, so you can rename it back in case that makes things worse).

Reactions: zkap

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
My sidebar stays at whatever width I drag it to when in fullscreen, or zoomed, or just as a normal window. I'm running Big Sur, so at least you know a fix is coming if you wanted to upgrade. Otherwise, you could try deleting the preferences file (well, renaming it, so you can rename it back in case that makes things worse).

Thanks, I'll be upgrading to Big Sur, hopefully it's intended behavior and the sidebar is fixed in width on the official release, as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Probably not specific, but i hate how the view options in Finder Window (aka. Show path bar, show status bar" does not always stick to external drives..

eg.. It you show these on "Macintosh HD", then pull up a new Finder window to USB external drive they will be gone, however if you stay in that same window, but just change views, status and/or path bars appear fine.

I think show view options (where you enable "Shw item Info" and those view settings in this popup, are also per-window based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.