Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
This was supposed to be wiki post, but I can't find the button to enable that. If someone can point me to it please

Anyway, macOS Mojave have now been out for a while, and I thought it would be fun to start a wishlist for features we would like to see in the next macOS, that we will likely get previewed at WWDC 2019 in June.

macOS features wishlist:
  • Website settings synced with iCloud (Settings for Reader-view, auto-play and so on)
  • Custom colors for the Accent colors
  • Smart sorting of e-mails in "Mail" (Like automatic sorting to Newsletters and notifications and so on)
  • iCloud synced custom tempales for Pages, Numbers and Keynote
  • iCloud synced "Sticky Notes" (The yellow notes on the screen)

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Touchscreen interface. We’ve had icons and mice for over three decades now. iOS has trained us to use the best pointer in the world, the one attached to our hands. It’s time to stop pretending that trackpads and mice are the only way to manipulate data on a Mac.

Reactions: user_xyz

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
1. Really modern memory management (as in Linux), where the OS always discards cached files before swapping or compressing. This will be of great benefit to those low on RAM (which is most people). Also discarding stale cached files after a certain time. Restarting daemons after a while, since they constantly grow RAM.

2. Bloat control, where you can disable services and daemons you never ever use. top reveals that MacOS currently uses 415 processes, including such exotic features as AppleSpell, backup-helper, cloudpaird, commerce, gamecontrollerd, photoanalysisd, Photos Agent and videosubscriptiond.

3. Intelligent spotlight indexing performed when the user is idle, and certainly not at startup.

4. Full support of HEIF/HEIC. What is the point of HEIC if Safari can't handle it?

5. UI customization for menus, buttons etc., so that native 4K (and even 8K) experience becomes better. Some of us really need massive screen estate.

6. An app to handle Iphone (as in older Itunes), including updates. If not, I don’t see why my next phone won’t be a Xiaomi.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
User-editable interface themes. And preferably a nice editor to go along with that. This dark mode better be taken out back and ... dealt with. :mad:

Spotlight/Finder search to let you include (system!) directories in the search path. Finder preference setting to show the Library folder and a menu entry to toggle display of hidden files, so we don't have to resort to some obscure shortcut. We're not all searching just for cat pictures all the time...

I know, I'm easy to please, kthxbye.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
1. Really modern memory management (as in Linux), where the OS always discards cached files before swapping or compressing. This will be of great benefit to those low on RAM (which is most people). Also discarding stale cached files after a certain time. Restarting daemons after a while, since they constantly grow RAM.

2. Bloat control, where you can disable services and daemons you never ever use. top reveals that MacOS currently uses 415 processes, including such exotic features as AppleSpell, backup-helper, cloudpaird, commerce, gamecontrollerd, photoanalysisd, Photos Agent and videosubscriptiond.

3. Intelligent spotlight indexing performed when the user is idle, and certainly not at startup.

4. Full support of HEIF/HEIC. What is the point of HEIC if Safari can't handle it?

5. UI customization for menus, buttons etc., so that native 4K (and even 8K) experience becomes better. Some of us really need massive screen estate.

6. An app to handle Iphone (as in older Itunes), including updates. If not, I don’t see why my next phone won’t be a Xiaomi.

Yes, been mention and always fall back , free ram is useless ram. Some people so smart so i cannot saying anything about it. A default opening osx already use 3 gb ram .

Yes , i have mention it and kinda lazy to explain only linux and windows user understand. We need something like gaming service, office service, no network service template.

I off spotlight .. waste of resources caching

Sorry no idea.

I'm using base line so need high end graphic card. I think 8k u need more $$$ cash grab..

My Current phone is Xiaomi. Even it try to mimic iphone but it not.

My Own wishlist

1. Get a freakin address which i can easily type like normal browser /var/user/ksk
** some people will suggest some x file manager.

2. External boot ssd to way slow after update mojave.

3. Boot/Mount pendrive, external disk take long time to initiate.
** I don't time whatever backup checking.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
• Fix networking in Finder. It should just work, and not lock up the entire Finder whenever there's problems, or make the GUI slow whenever you drag files around.
• iMessage support on iCloud.com.
• Smart Folder sync from Photos into iCloud.
• Remove all the bloat from iTunes, and gut that horrendous UI from iTunes 12. And add some color back in. (And did they fix the audiobook bug, where books gets duplicated in the UI?)
• Fix the bug where I can't remove the Desktop from my Finder sidebars.
• Make Spotlight work properly (And the rest of the OS for that sake, oh man are there lots of random beach balls) on machines with HDDs.

And probably a few other things I can't remember at the moment.

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018

I think you just described windows. ;)

Reactions: petsk

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Those all seem like the sorts of refinements they tend to think about (and that they often think users shouldn't have to think about).

The only one I blinked at was the last one. If the experience of using the phone is 0% of what you care about, and the experience of managing it with a separate device is 100%, then I'm not sure why you're not already using a Xiaomi phone.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris

Most users don't have these issues with daemons. It tends to happen when systems are mismanaged by users installing too many apps and utilities.

The processes you mentioned are essential for day to day macOS and iTunes use. What you are asking for is a kind of Mac OS classic mode that lets you disable extensions when you boot. That's a choice but it shouldn't be a default.

This should be working, if not report bug.

This will come. It's an industry integration thing.

No themes. We have been through that phase and so did Windows. They created bugs with third party apps and panels.

You can adjust the UI scale now if you need more screen estate.

Sorry for your privacy loss if you buy a Xiaomi. Unless you work for a troll farm and don't care.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
The processes you mentioned are essential for day to day macOS and iTunes use. What you are asking for is a kind of Mac OS classic mode that lets you disable extensions when you boot. That's a choice but it shouldn't be a default.

No. Just like I can choose to enable apache, I should be enable to enable/disable spelling, messaging, photos and other things that I really really REALLY don't want. Any real OS lets you add functionality arbitrarily, it doesn't force it down your throat and use unnecessary RAM and resources.

No themes. We have been through that phase and so did Windows. They created bugs with third party apps and panels.

Not talking about themes. I am talking about size only. You already have it for Finder items, and you should have it for menus, buttons and text in general.

You can adjust the UI scale now if you need more screen estate.

No. Scaling will 1) decrese screen estate; 2) penalize GPU performance. With native 4K resolution, text is too small.

Sorry for your privacy loss if you buy a Xiaomi. Unless you work for a troll farm and don't care.

Not having secrets on my phone, since I don't trust phones. But I do want to manage apps, images, sounds, books and so on through the computer. Why? Because 1) I don't store anything in the cloud (I don't trust it); 2) I don't live in the very big city where wifi is ubiquitous (and I don't trust public wifi anyway); 3) you can't even update IOS unless you have wifi; 4) I want the backup feature.

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
No. Just like I can choose to enable apache, I should be enable to enable/disable spelling, messaging, photos and other things that I really really REALLY don't want. Any real OS lets you add functionality arbitrarily, it doesn't force it down your throat and use unnecessary RAM and resources.

With the core i7 2018 mac mini and 64gb ram, bloat should not be your concern. You are of course free to use a "real OS" instead.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
With the core i7 2018 mac mini and 64gb ram, bloat should not be your concern. You are of course free to use a "real OS" instead.
the bad advise of all. I assume the person who play multiple operating system for testing never enough. And i mention before you need a good graphic card for 2x 4k.

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
the bad advise of all. I assume the person who play multiple operating system for testing never enough. And i mention before you need a good graphic card for 2x 4k.

Sarcasm was missed i take it.
To the OP:- in regards to stopping "un-needed" daemons, afaik you are still free to use launchctl in a terminal. Because under the hood, macOS is still- and always has been- a "real OS".

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
I'm still trying to emotionally recover from all the years and decades of wasted time and frustration while waiting for my Windows machines to finish their updates.
I stopped having this issue after moving exclusively to SSDs.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I'm still trying to emotionally recover from all the years and decades of wasted time and frustration while waiting for my Windows machines to finish their updates.
old windows much easier upon windows update what you need only and service pack.New window 10 social update pretty waste of bandwith and cannot be stop unless you're technical strong

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
The memory management on Mac OS is among the best in existence. Every single bit of DRAM is used wisely, from what I have seen so far. Give it 8GB, do nothing, and you will have only about half free. Give it 16GB, do nothing, and you will again have about half of it free.

Start doing something, and allocation commences. Available DRAM goes where it’s needed the most. System stability is unaffected in both cases.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
The memory management on Mac OS is among the best in existence. Every single bit of DRAM is used wisely, from what I have seen so far. Give it 8GB, do nothing, and you will have only about half free. Give it 16GB, do nothing, and you will again have about half of it free.

Start doing something, and allocation commences. Available DRAM goes where it’s needed the most. System stability is unaffected in both cases.
:mad::mad::mad: .

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017

There is an easy way to refute this claim. Fire off 8 GB worth of pictures (RAW) with your camera (a real camera), then import to Adobe Bridge (or any similar app). Notice the speed with which images are processed, and keep an eye at the activity monitor.

In the activity monitor, you will see how Cached Files is being increased as you import. Now, exactly at the point where your RAM is used up, Cached Files are not dropped, but the OS starts to ”compress” memory and swap. Import of images now slows to a crawl.

Linux doesn't do that. It kills off any cache before using swap or disk related processes. The way it should be. But the way MacOS doesn't handle it. It prefers to keep absolutely worthless cache in memory and slow down your system.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
There is an easy way to refute this claim. Fire off 8 GB worth of pictures (RAW) with your camera (a real camera), then import to Adobe Bridge (or any similar app). Notice the speed with which images are processed, and keep an eye at the activity monitor.

In the activity monitor, you will see how Cached Files is being increased as you import. Now, exactly at the point where your RAM is used up, Cached Files are not dropped, but the OS starts to ”compress” memory and swap. Import of images now slows to a crawl.

Linux doesn't do that. It kills off any cache before using swap or disk related processes. The way it should be. But the way MacOS doesn't handle it. It prefers to keep absolutely worthless cache in memory and slow down your system.
cache is double edge sword. A windows/linux laptop rarely need more then 8 GB even i push dam hard.The most max is is 6GB. The first mistake i buy mac mini 2014 thinking osx is par with linux/windows memory management.

Now even baseline 8 GB seem haish swap a lot. So the way to rid is open more a lot and close it. Pretty odd way. I rather the ram swap into hardisk uncompress compare to compress/decompress. Why waste resources on compressing/decompressing .

*** on windows i can just disable the swap.. not even needed swap at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.