Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN

- closed eco-system ios-like, so that only way apps can be installed is through their app store

-----Please, no. Just change your Gatekeeper settings and leave the rest of us alone, thank you very much. A non-trivial number of developers were disgruntled when the App Sandbox was first introduced — see here, here, here, here, here, and here, for example —, and it's likely that some of the points argued then still stand.

Last edited:

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
-----Please, no. Just change your Gatekeeper settings and leave the rest of us alone, thank you very much. A non-trivial number of developers were disgruntled when the App Sandbox was first introduced — see here, here, here, here, here, and here, for example —, and it's likely that some of the points argued then still stand.

Jesus Chri.... is that guy for real?!!? Are there actually people who are rooting for a closed mac os that would only allow apps from the app store?
NO THANK YOU x 1000.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA

Jesus Chri.... is that guy for real?!!? Are there actually people who are rooting for a closed mac os that would only allow apps from the app store?
NO THANK YOU x 1000.

Agreed with both of you, 2000x.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Reversion of all iOS-inspired changes that have occurred in macOS since Mac OS X Snow Leopard save for iMessage functionality, the Maps app, the Books App, and Notification Center. Hell, keep Launchpad too for the sake of laziness.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
-----Incidentally, Yebubbleman, I've always been a bit annoyed how Notification Center, Dashboard, the Dock, and Launchpad have been arranged with respect to each other. It would make sense for Launchpad to be accessed by pulling up on the Dock and for Dashboard to similarly be an overflow area for extra Notification Center widgets you didn't want in the latter's 'Today' view. The fact that the Exposé 'Desktops' view that shows all of what used to be called 'Spaces' is brought up with a three- or four-finger swiping gesture and that Launchpad is opened with a similar multi-finger pinching gesture has always seemed somewhat backwards to me. Merging Dashboard and Launchpad would raise the question of where the Notification Center menu extra should go, though, as that's on the right side of the screen and Dashboard as a Space is to the left of all of them…

Editorial P. S.: Hmm, y'know, I might've mentioned somewhere else on the forums this before…? (Shrugs.)

Last edited:

Isidore

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2004
London
Don't stick your head in the sand. Utilize technology for your benefit.

Cloud storage has its purpose and purpose is typically a reflection of a persons needs. As for my usage, everything I have in the cloud is archived locally. Anything that is sensitive is only local.

Regarding iCloud, it mirrors all that is uploaded to a local drive unlike typical cloud storage. I have a need for nearline storage, and iCloud is useless for that purpose so I had to use another provider but would have preferred using Apple.

You are the one sticking your head in the sand. For critical company and personal data an external backup is not yours and not fully secure. It sits on someone else’s drives in a data centre. No one who has personal data for other people could tolerate such a loss of control over their files. Maybe if it’s encrypted before uploading but how many cloud providers provide for that- even, unfortunately, Apple doesn’t.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
You are the one sticking your head in the sand. For critical company and personal data an external backup is not yours and not fully secure. It sits on someone else’s drives in a data centre. No one who has personal data for other people could tolerate such a loss of control over their files. Maybe if it’s encrypted before uploading but how many cloud providers provide for that- even, unfortunately, Apple doesn’t.

One has to read the post I was quoting to understand the head in the sand comment I made to that person. It was directed at someone that outright rejected cloud usage. Cloud has a purpose, and thus my comment.

Regarding you saying that to me, simply is because you don't understand my usage of the cloud, or to what lengths I go to ensure recoverability in my backup plan. I won't go into details here, as that would be far of the topic, but I can assure you that my recovery path is very redundant. Far beyond 11 9's, and consists of multiple forms of media, local, near local, and cloud, comprised of multiple physical and logical protections (ie; encryption everywhere, and yes I control the key).

Asu

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2006
If they call it Death Valley, that would be amazing.

Well I think it is time to ditch these yuppie-hipster dream location names. Recently I've been vacillating between Mac OS San Ysidro or Mac OS National City.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.