Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Just One -

NVIDIA WEB DRIVER & CUDA DRIVERS 13879dunno.gif

Lou

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
1. Low power mode.
2. Control centre like we have had in ios for years now.
3. More customization options like being able to remove drop-down shadows from windows, menus etc.
4. UI overhaul - remove boxes around widgets. It's fugly.
5. Performance improvements - work on optimizing apps launch and boot/reboot/shutdown times. This is lagging behind windows 10 imo.
6. Windows snap feature - windows have had it for years since w7. macos could use an improvement in this area.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Next to the thread options like "Un/Watch thread" and such, there's a cogwheel that rolls out to give you options to turn it into a WikiPost.
Thanks for the reply, but if you mean the cogwheel on at the top of the created post, it doesn't contain the option. Can't find any cogwheel when going into creating a new post.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I am surprised that there haven't been a single rumor so far. Last year this time, we had a rumor or two, such as iOS apps coming to 10.14.

So far, nothing. Complete silence... I think that we will see one more "under the hood" update, like High Sierra. So, nothing to be excited about. Security and performance improvements, mostly.

The main feature will probably be that developers can now port their iOS apps to macOS, starting from 10.15. 10.14 was just a preview, so it is reasonable that full implementation will begin with 10.15.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
There is an easy way to refute this claim. Fire off 8 GB worth of pictures (RAW) with your camera (a real camera), then import to Adobe Bridge (or any similar app). Notice the speed with which images are processed, and keep an eye at the activity monitor.

In the activity monitor, you will see how Cached Files is being increased as you import. Now, exactly at the point where your RAM is used up, Cached Files are not dropped, but the OS starts to ”compress” memory and swap. Import of images now slows to a crawl.

Linux doesn't do that. It kills off any cache before using swap or disk related processes. The way it should be. But the way MacOS doesn't handle it. It prefers to keep absolutely worthless cache in memory and slow down your system.

Linux also slows down or even grinds to a halt once physical memory is depleted and paging is the only remaining option. Keeping a buffer of inactive/cached memory means that the system has memory left for other running processes or apps the user may want to use while waiting for the task to complete, without having to sacrifice all available memory for a single task that happens to require a lot of virtual memory. If the task at hand needs more memory than the RAM can realistically handle, then swapping is exactly what needs to happen to maintain a low memory pressure.

Intelligent spotlight indexing performed when the user is idle, and certainly not at startup.

Spotlight is a core part of many services and apps. Ideally, the Spotlight index should be built as fast as possible and be up-to-date at all times. It makes no sense to defer this to idle time.

Remove all the bloat from iTunes, and gut that horrendous UI from iTunes 12. And add some color back in. (And did they fix the audiobook bug, where books gets duplicated in the UI?)

I am confident that project Marzipan opens the door for Apple to port the media apps of iOS to macOS.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
You must be crazy. The "cloud" is usually a server in a datacenter controlled by another company.

No thanks!!!

Don't stick your head in the sand. Utilize technology for your benefit.

Cloud storage has its purpose and purpose is typically a reflection of a persons needs. As for my usage, everything I have in the cloud is archived locally. Anything that is sensitive is only local.

Regarding iCloud, it mirrors all that is uploaded to a local drive unlike typical cloud storage. I have a need for nearline storage, and iCloud is useless for that purpose so I had to use another provider but would have preferred using Apple.

aap_in_mke

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
Milwaukee
Touchscreen interface. We’ve had icons and mice for over three decades now. iOS has trained us to use the best pointer in the world, the one attached to our hands. It’s time to stop pretending that trackpads and mice are the only way to manipulate data on a Mac.

There was a time when I would’ve said “No, no, Apple’s right, touchscreens are a bad input option ergonomically, your arm would get tired.” But I think now maybe it’s not a bad idea -- touchscreen input needn’t be continuous or prolonged to be useful and attractive as a feature, especially for younger users who’ve grown up with multi-touch. Even if you only use it every once in awhile it could be worth having. For that matter, I can even see a use case as part of a health app for strengthening your arms.

Last edited:

labyrinth153

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
1. Really modern memory management (as in Linux), where the OS always discards cached files before swapping or compressing. This will be of great benefit to those low on RAM (which is most people). Also discarding stale cached files after a certain time. Restarting daemons after a while, since they constantly grow RAM.

Seriously haven’t used Linux lately if you think it’s ram/disk cache usage is better than Darwin.

Any I/O load drops Linux to its knees.

aap_in_mke

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2019
Milwaukee
If they call it Death Valley, that would be amazing.

I humbly propose the following California-themed names for 10.15:

San Andreas
San Quentin
Alcatraz
Northridge
Oroville Dam
Chatsworth
Santa Monica Fwy
The 405
Skid Row
La Brea Tar Pits
Tujunga
City of Industry
Gray Davis

You're welcome.

Carry on...

:)

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
1. Really modern memory management (as in Linux), where the OS always discards cached files before swapping or compressing. This will be of great benefit to those low on RAM (which is most people). Also discarding stale cached files after a certain time. Restarting daemons after a while, since they constantly grow RAM.

2. Bloat control, where you can disable services and daemons you never ever use. top reveals that MacOS currently uses 415 processes, including such exotic features as AppleSpell, backup-helper, cloudpaird, commerce, gamecontrollerd, photoanalysisd, Photos Agent and videosubscriptiond.

3. Intelligent spotlight indexing performed when the user is idle, and certainly not at startup.

4. Full support of HEIF/HEIC. What is the point of HEIC if Safari can't handle it?

5. UI customization for menus, buttons etc., so that native 4K (and even 8K) experience becomes better. Some of us really need massive screen estate.

6. An app to handle Iphone (as in older Itunes), including updates. If not, I don’t see why my next phone won’t be a Xiaomi.

I also want the graphics to be more efficient. Here I am, on a 12-core Mac Pro with RX 580 8GB; 32GB of RAM; and a PCIe-SSD, and the GUI is behaving worse than ever before: horrible lag / delays when switching amongst panes in Finder, slow Quick Look, and MUCH slower Web content.

I usually never experience issues with OS updates, and I have both a clean user and capable machine. Mojave is just Slo-jave, and I want Apple to improve upon its system processes and graphics.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
1. Low power mode.
2. Control centre like we have had in ios for years now.
3. More customization options like being able to remove drop-down shadows from windows, menus etc.
4. UI overhaul - remove boxes around widgets. It's fugly.
5. Performance improvements - work on optimizing apps launch and boot/reboot/shutdown times. This is lagging behind windows 10 imo.
6. Windows snap feature - windows have had it for years since w7. macos could use an improvement in this area.

Regarding #1: Yes!

Edit - Regarding #2: I found it! Turn off OS X’s visual effects under System Preferences > Accessibility and uncheck Reduce Transparency.

Regarding #5: I think you’re talking about “Fast Startup” in Windows 10? Am I right?

Regarding #6: there is an app for that - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12&uo=4&at=11l9Le

Last edited:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The responce and stabilty of snow leopard
[doublepost=1551286531][/doublepost]
I humbly propose the following California-themed names for 10.15:

San Andreas
San Quentin
Alcatraz
Northridge
Oroville Dam
Chatsworth
Santa Monica Fwy
The 405
Skid Row
La Brea Tar Pits
Tujunga
City of Industry
Gray Davis

You're welcome.

Carry on...

:)
And a salton sea!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
1. Snow Leopard level of stability
2. UI refinement or refresh

macOS should go back to a release ever other year. Very obvious lack of polish as of late

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
-----Besides the expected bug fixes and usability improvements, I would, in no particular order without any comment on likelihood, be excited about:
  1. The official ability to use iCloud services between multiple accounts on the same machine, ideally with local caching to avoid unneeded network access.
  2. Easy-to-use native cross-machine user account syncing.
  3. WebExtensions support in Safari.
  4. More granular 'Do Not Disturb' settings. (For example, I'd like to be able to prevent notifications from making any noise when I'm listening to audio and automatically toggle 'Do Not Disturb' on and off when entering and leaving full-screen video playback.)
  5. 'Smart Invert' like on iOS.
  6. APFS support for Time Machine backup drives.
One other thing I've heard other people want that I agree with is:
  1. Native Vulkan support instead of forcing developers to rely on MoltenVK.

mosher

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Germany/Ukraine
- performance at least matching that on windows (3d graphic)
- closed eco-system ios-like, so that only way apps can be installed is through their app store
- siri usage system wide: opening apps, making schedules.
- shortcuts for mac os, automator is terrible
- homekit integration
- face-id mac lock/unlock (requires macs with face-id cameras)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.