Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I'm not loving the AirPods automatic switching. Does anyone know (1) if it can be turned off and (2) which app runs the banner notification that pops up every time I come near my MacBook?
Add the calendar widget as Medium or Large size. Move the widget to the top and you'll see it when you click on the Date/Time menu bar item.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Add the calendar widget as Medium or Large size. Move the widget to the top and you'll see it when you click on the Date/Time menu bar item.
Thanks for the info, but not sure I was clear. I meant the "AirPods connected" banner that pops up when I come near with my pods. I don't know which app is triggering the notification, so that I can turn it off in System Preferences/Notifications.

Reactions: TimothyR734

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm 100% certain I'm not. In previous versions, the bluetooth icon would change to look like this when headphones were connected:

View attachment 1668689

In Big Sur, there's no glanceable indicator that my headphones are connected, or at least not that I've found so far. I'd love to be wrong though, so if you can direct me to whatever setting I need to toggle I'd greatly appreciate it.

EDIT:
Just to be clear on what I'm talking about, I've made this to hopefully better illustrate what I mean:

View attachment 1668704
That's what I see as well. I now use an app called Toothpicks which shows an icon for each bluetooth device in the menu bar, with 1 click to connect. The icon then changes when connected. Might be of use! It's free on the app store:

Reactions: boss.king

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
That's what I see as well. I now use an app called Toothpicks which shows an icon for each bluetooth device in the menu bar, with 1 click to connect. The icon then changes when connected. Might be of use! It's free on the app store:
Interesting, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Howard Ellacott

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Thanks for the info, but not sure I was clear. I meant the "AirPods connected" banner that pops up when I come near with my pods. I don't know which app is triggering the notification, so that I can turn it off in System Preferences/Notifications.

My bad, I clicked reply to the wrong post. I was responding to cool11

How I can see the full calendar, by clicking on the right of menu bar?
It was always fine in the past, but now with big sur, when I click there, I see notifications!
It is annoying!
Any solution?

@srbNYC, to respond to your question, after you connect your Airpods to your mac you can go to Bluetooth preferences and see your Airpods there. Click Options and change the setting for Connect to This Mac from "Automatically" to "When Last Connected to this Mac". I think that will disable the notification.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
I do not know whether people already know about this but I think it's worth mentioning:

In some applications, you can drag icons to different parts of the toolbar. This makes the toolbars feel much less cluttered. Here are two examples in Mail and Notes:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 16.08.57.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 16.08.57.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 16.10.56.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 16.10.56.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 276

dUnKle

macrumors regular
May 28, 2020
I’m still in my early days of being a Mac owner and learning a little each day
I like the “recovery” mode thing where boots into MacOS utilities.
There is an option there to reinstall macOS
If I choose this it will reinstall Catalina.
Is there a way to force this to install Big Sur so can have a real fresh install ?

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I’m still in my early days of being a Mac owner and learning a little each day
I like the “recovery” mode thing where boots into MacOS utilities.
There is an option there to reinstall macOS
If I choose this it will reinstall Catalina.
Is there a way to force this to install Big Sur so can have a real fresh install ?
After you install Big Sur, the Catalina recovery partition gets overwritten with a Big Sur recovery partition.

Reactions: dUnKle

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
The output of 'sysctl machdep.cpu' is very meagre on my M1 machine. Anyone with Big Sur on Intel: do you get lots of info like we used to?
I'm on the 2019 16" MacBook Pro and it dumps a lot of info yes (running 11.1 [Edit: Sorry, 11.01, 11.1 is still installing ?), what kind of info does the M1 give?

I have an irrational desire to get my hands on an M1.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England
I'm on the 2019 16" MacBook Pro and it dumps a lot of info yes (running 11.1 [Edit: Sorry, 11.01, 11.1 is still installing ?), what kind of info does the M1 give?

I have an irrational desire to get my hands on an M1.
% sysctl machdep.cpu
machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 8
machdep.cpu.core_count: 8
machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 8
machdep.cpu.thread_count: 8
machdep.cpu.brand_string: Apple processor

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
I really like something about Mail on macOS 11, in the past all account you woul set up would be kinda merged together, at least for the primary folders like Inbox, Sent, Bin, etc. Now they are more separated and you can merge them if you want. This makes it much simpler to deal with really separate mail accounts.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
In Catalina you could click the arrow and expand the unified mailboxes (e.g. "> inbox") so that they showed the individual ones for each email account. Or you could create smart folders that select only mails from a particular account. However, as you say, Big Sur does it differently.

Unified mailboxes are now optional (and added as Favourites) but the individual mailboxes still show against every email account. Personally, I don't like that duplication but maybe more people do.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
In Catalina you could click the arrow and expand the unified mailboxes (e.g. "> inbox") so that they showed the individual ones for each email account. Or you could create smart folders that select only mails from a particular account. However, as you say, Big Sur does it differently.

Unified mailboxes are now optional (and added as Favourites) but the individual mailboxes still show against every email account. Personally, I don't like that duplication but maybe more people do.
The "Catalina" behavior was actually introduced way earlier. Definitely had that on Mojave, but pretty sure even before that.

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I have several internet accounts. Does anyone else find that Contacts sporadically changes their default account setting?

I'll add a contact from, say, Mail and then see that it's the lone entry in an account for which I don't keep addresses. When I look in Preferences, I see the default account has somehow changed to that one. I change it back and quit Contacts. Has happened repeatedly.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Why some of microsoft word docx documents, cannot be properly opened by textedit?
I used textedit to open such docs for so many years without any problem.
Since I upgrade to Big Sur, several docx files, display something like 'locked' on the title of the window opened, and inside this window is only blank space.
What has changed in Big Sur?
As I said, I never had any problem in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.