Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

denwa

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Incompatbile with all metal cards or better drivers. Revert to dosdude Catalina and iMac 2011 patches if you need this or change the dGPU again - AMD GCN4 will do the job on Sonoma.

Ah that's too bad, in your original post you mentioned "or with an NVIDIA metal dGPU" so it threw me off. Thanks for clarifying.
Hoping dosdude will bring out a core boot port so we can get QSV via Ivy Bridge natively again.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Ah that's too bad, in your original post you mentioned "or with an NVIDIA metal dGPU" so it threw me off. Thanks for clarifying.
Hoping dosdude will bring out a core boot port so we can get QSV via Ivy Bridge natively again.
Reality check:
HD4000 is just breaking badly on Ventura and Sonoma, so using a WX4130 will easily solve all issues without waiting for a white knight donating a coreboot solution.

• Haha
Reactions: denwa

denwa

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Reality check:
These machines are well over a decade old; I am in no rush to get them to run the latest and greatest (This is a Big Sur thread, right? 😉), and realize everyone is doing this for fun, as am I. Sorry if I struck a nerve or sound entitled to a fix, I assure you I am not.

Nowadays a WX4130 costs more than the iMac itself after all!

Last edited:

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Reality check:
These machines are well over a decade old; I am in no rush to get them to run the latest and greatest, and realize everyone is doing this for fun, as am I. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Nowadays a WX4130 costs more than the iMac itself after all!
IB will us not bridge over the AVX2 gap, the gain will be really limited.
Additionaly we will likely face the well known OpenCore DRM issue with all iGPU in Hacks: No support.
Coreboot will convert your Apple iMac into a PC with similar hardware.

The last time I checked prices a 3770 cost the same as a gpu dead iMac12,2….and I got my last WX3140 at the same price.

denwa

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
If you can find me a working WX4130 for under $40 USD shipped to Canada, I will gladly eat my own words 😉

Catalina works for me, so i'll be rolling back. Thanks again for the expanded clarification on the original question.

tomcatrr

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi!!!

With the last version of Whatsapp, in my 2009 Imac I do not have the "QR CODE".
OCLP 120 and last version of BigSur.

Anyone wiht that problem?

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Anyone know of issues with Mac Pro 3,1 and the USB ports not working after OCLP .68 Big Sur upgrade?

Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Just a quick follow up on running Big Sur natively on a Mid 2012 13 inch MacBook Pro. It works without upgrading the WiFi card, the original WiFi is patched using barrykn big sur micropatcher. I was able to edit barrykn's script to run it on a Monterey installation but it did not work.

Edit: I had a look in a Monterey on Unsupported Macs thread and looks like there were no success stories patching the legacy WiFi modules with barrykn's micropatcher.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 13.25.05.png

Last edited:
Reactions: arw

qusеr

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2023
Hi, I would like to share my experience installing Big Sur and Monterey on iMac12,2 (i7 3.4GHz, 16Gb, Quadro K2100M). Before replacing graphics card, High Sierra was installed, I couldn't afford more on Radeon 6970M.

So, after replacing graphics card, I used OCLP 0.6.2 and did a MacOS update to Big Sur. The first thing I encountered was a bug with Menu Bar (left side of Menu Bar was missing, while icons on right side such as language, spotlight, time were all still there). Various attempts to fix Menu Bar back using methods from internet didn't work.

Then I formatted internal SSD and installed Catalina on it using patch from Dosdude1 (successful) and then did an update to Big Sur via OCLP, success! I can see Menu Bar again (left and right parts). BUT whole system was extremely slow in everything related to graphics (windows minimising, browser working, etc), it was impossible to work. Then I read this great forum and made a hypothesis that version of OCLP patch makes a difference. Without going into details, I can say that I did a clean install of Big Sur with OCLP versions 0.4.1, 0.6.2, 1.3.0 – result was equally bad: very slow system performance, no Menu Bar.

I was ready to despair and put Catalina on and forget whole thing. But last attempt I took was to install Monterey via OCLP 1.3.0 and it was amazing!!! Everything worked from first time including Wi-Fi, system is flying, my iMac is like new, no lags, everything is smooth. I wrote all this for those who may have difficulties with Big Sur installation, let try to install Monterey, you may like it much better! :)

Many thanks to all the creators of OCLP, you are awesome! And thank you to everyone who writes detailed replies on this forum, you are a pleasure to read!
iMac.png

GlennR

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2020
So, after replacing graphics card, I used OCLP 0.6.2 and did a MacOS update to Big Sur. The first thing I encountered was a bug with Menu Bar (left side of Menu Bar was missing, while icons on right side such as language, spotlight, time were all still there). Various attempts to fix Menu Bar back using methods from internet didn't work.

I upgraded to Big Sur back in June using OCLP 0.4.11. I had a similar issue in that I couldn't see the left side of the menu bar at the top, but the right side was there. I was scratching my head for a bit.

In my case it was the desktop wallpaper I've been using for many years (Golden Palace), which was white in the top left section. There was an OCLP option to fix via checking the box against Non-Metal Settings -> Dark Menu Bar. That fixed the problem, but didn't look as good as I was used to so I chose new wallpaper.

Reactions: qusеr

LanceMahe

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
I have a MBP 15" mid 2012 and running Big Sur 11.7.10
After installing the last update of Safari, I can't boot into recovery again.

The recovery volume is present: APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩ 624.3 MB disk1s3

I can boot into internet recovery with the help of a bootable usb stick

I have been trying too many thing and even reinstalled macOS 2 times but to no avail.
Could any one please help me out?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
As long as you can boot into internet recovery, you're good. If it were my machine I would stop there and do nothing. But if you really want to get the recovery partition working, just boot to internet recovery and reinstall Big Sur. That should get it back into shape.

LanceMahe

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2010
ThX for the reply. As in my message, I have reinstalled BS twice and it didn't work out
I know that I could work with internet recovery but that is not what I want.
I would like Recovery to work as normally expected.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have a MBP 15" mid 2012 and running Big Sur 11.7.10
After installing the last update of Safari, I can't boot into recovery again.

I have been trying too many thing and even reinstalled macOS 2 times but to no avail.
Could any one please help me out?
You are using OCLP to run Big Sur on this Mid-2012 15" - MD104LL/A ?

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
As long as you can boot into internet recovery, you're good. If it were my machine I would stop there and do nothing. But if you really want to get the recovery partition working, just boot to internet recovery and reinstall Big Sur. That should get it back into shape.
You mean Catalina, right? (You can't go any higher than that on a 2012 Mac officially).

I am running Big Sur on my 13 inch Mid 2012 MBP "natively" and pressing CMD+R boots me straight into Internet Recovery.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Kullavik, Halland, Sweden, EU
Just a quick follow up on running Big Sur natively on a Mid 2012 13 inch MacBook Pro. It works without upgrading the WiFi card, the original WiFi is patched using barrykn big sur micropatcher. I was able to edit barrykn's script to run it on a Monterey installation but it did not work.

Edit: I had a look in a Monterey on Unsupported Macs thread and looks like there were no success stories patching the legacy WiFi modules with barrykn's micropatcher.

View attachment 2321148
Why stay on Big Sur? I run Sonoma flawlessly and it's snappy on the same mid 2012 MacBook Pro model. I.e. after 16 gb RAM and SSD upgrades. Only problem I stumble on is that pressing Memories tab in Photos app will make Photos app crash. I can live with that.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Why stay on Big Sur? I run Sonoma flawlessly and it's snappy on the same mid 2012 MacBook Pro model. I.e. after 16 gb RAM and SSD upgrades. Only problem I stumble on is that pressing Memories tab in Photos app will make Photos app crash. I can live with that.
I think you answered your own question. I believe in "less is more" when it comes to patches. No OCLP, no VM flags/spoofing, no unwanted updates, no issues just the good old experience of using macOS natively.

Reactions: webg3

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
I think you answered your own question. I believe in "less is more" when it comes to patches. No OCLP, no VM flags/spoofing, no unwanted updates, no issues just the good old experience of using macOS natively.
If you are indeed running a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Big Sur, you are also on OCLP. Mid 2012 MBP are supported up to Catalina.

If you run Big Sur natively you have a newer MBP than mid-2012.

Link to Apple official info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/103111

Regarding the experience, it's way better than being stuck on obsolete Big Sur.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
If you are indeed running a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Big Sur, you are also tweaking. Mid 2012 MBP are supported natively up to Catalina.

If you run Big Sur natively you have a newer MBP than mid-2012.

Link to Apple official info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/103111

Regarding the experience, it's way better than being stuck on obsolete Big Sur.

Are you serious?

nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

Apple is serious about it.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/103111

Beyond that your'e also tweaking it with various success it seems.

Kent W

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Mid 2012 MacBook Pro is more compatible with Big Sur than it is with Sonoma. This concept is so solid and self-evident that even Apple would not argue against.
Apple argues about it since they don't support it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/103111

What I mean is that you spoof/bypass with nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" and you used micropatcher to get Wifi to work. So it contradicts your earlier response: I think you answered your own question. I believe in "less is more" when it comes to patches. No OCLP, no VM flags/spoofing, no unwanted updates, no issues just the good old experience of using macOS natively.

OCLP Sonoma works great and it run flawlessly on mid 2012 and it's not obsolete as your spoofed/bypassed/micropatched installed Big Sur.

Both what you tweak/spoof micropatch and OCLP are alterations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.