Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Good morning. I'm on Mac Pro 5.1, with a Highpoint 7101-a card and amd vega56 gpu. I recently installed OCLP and Monterey, (Ventura is not fluid on my machine), but when I want to install the drivers for the HighPoint card I can't start anymore, in fact the progress bar is stuck halfway through loading. Have you found the solution. Thank you in advance. best regards

Good morning. I'm on Mac Pro 5.1, with a Highpoint 7101-a card and amd vega56 gpu. I recently installed OCLP and Monterey, (Ventura is not fluid on my machine), but when I want to install the drivers for the HighPoint card I can't start anymore, in fact the progress bar is stuck halfway through loading. Have you found the solution. Thank you in advance. best regards
Sorry SuperDuc but my solution was to bin the MacPro and buy an M2 Mac Mini. I still have the Highpoint card, but in a Windows machine.

Houpla

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2018
Are there any drawbacks if I upgrade my MacBook Pro 2012 (maxed out RAM and SSDs) from Catalina to Big Sur? Is it significantly slower?

Some features aren't available on Catalina (no webp support in Safari, many websites don't show images), so I'm contemplating upgrading to Big Sur using OCLP, but I'm afraid I'll regret that if there are cons.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Are there any drawbacks if I upgrade my MacBook Pro 2012 (maxed out RAM and SSDs) from Catalina to Big Sur? Is it significantly slower?

Some features aren't available on Catalina (no webp support in Safari, many websites don't show images), so I'm contemplating upgrading to Big Sur using OCLP, but I'm afraid I'll regret that if there are cons.
Speaking for my MacBook Air 2012: With an upgraded BT/WiFi module, the model is so perfectly supported, you don't even need OpenCore for Big Sur, it's simply enough to skip the compatibility check of macOS with:
Code:
nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
Everything works, including GPU acceleration (HD 4000) in all applications.
So all OpenCore has to do for a stock model, is patch the WiFi module.

Last edited:
Reactions: Houpla

makra

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2020
Northern Germany

As you can see, I have two MBPs 2012 in use (9,1 and 10,2). Ventura/OCLP is still work in progress, but Big Sur and Monterey work very well. Since Big Sur won't be supported after fall this year, I would consider Monterey.

Just read and follow the OCLP instructions very carefully!

Reactions: Houpla

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Speaking for my MacBook Air 2012: With an upgraded BT/WiFi module, the model is so perfectly supported, you don't even need OpenCore for Big Sur, it's simply enough to skip the compatibility check of macOS with:
Code:
nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
Everything works, including GPU acceleration (HD 4000) in all applications.
So all OpenCore has to do for a stock model, is patch the WiFi module.
So if I got this right all you have to do is disable SIP(and keep it off), set the boot args, manually patch the WiFi module and you should not need the OpenCore?

I was under the impression that in a later macOS systems it is not as easy to replace kexts or perhaps the real issues in doing so start with Monterey and later?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
So if I got this right all you have to do is disable SIP(and keep it off), set the boot args, manually patch the WiFi module and you should not need the OpenCore?
Sorry, that I do not know. I was only referring to a system (MacBook Air 2012 13") with an upgraded WiFi card that therefore needs no patching of any kind at all (for Big Sur).
Your approach seems logical but as I understand, it’s easier to let OpenCore do that job "non-intrusive" than manually modify files on the sealed-system-volume. And even safer and update-proof.
@khronokernel explains in greater detail what obstacles they actually had to overcome to add WiFi support for non-BCM94360/94350 cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: avz

TigerA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I've finally figured out the cause of this issue: It's the root patch with OCLP > ver 0.6.1. The iMac now can shutdown / restart (albeit without the chime sound) with OCLP_061 root patch being applied. The OCLP EFI version can be greater than 0.6.1 (for dual boot purpose because I have Ventura 13.3.1 on the same disk).
On another node: Safari (14.1.3) won't open with the latest Big Sur 11.7.7RC on this iMac10,1.
Add: A "Software Update for Safari (16.4.1)" allowed the Safari to open but left with the rendering issue. The rendering issue can be fixed by applying OCLP 063/064 root patch. However, this leaves the iMac not being able to shutdown/restart/sleep, as before. So it's truly a catch-22 situation.
OCLP_068n has finally fixed this shutdown / restart issue (still without the chime) for the iMac10,1. The safari also performs correctly. Thanks to all the developers (in particular, the non-metal developers) for the ongoing improvement of very old Macs with your talent and persistence.

perez987

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2021
Spain
I have a 2011 MacBook Air. 11" screen. MacBookAir 4,1 SMBIOS.
The screen got too small for my old man eyes and won't accept more than High Sierra 10.13.6. So a few years ago I plugged it into the TV in the living room and since then I use it as a multimedia drive with Apple BT keyboard and mouse, with complete satisfaction. Logically its performance can be better.

Yesterday I was curious to try OCLP on this laptop, never worried that it wouldn't update but curiosity to see how well OCLP works on such an old Mac was strong.
I downloaded OCLP 0.6.7, from this app I downloaded Big Sur, prepared the EFI on a USB stick and installed Big Sur. There were no issues during the process. Everything was smooth and good if a little slow. And Big Sur runs very well on this laptop, with better graphics than High Sierra and some obvious improvements like Apple TV and Airdrop.

When starting Big Sur for the first time there were black boxes on the toolbar in Safari and some applications but choosing Display-P3 as display color profile (as advised by OCLP developers) solved the problem.

We often compliment OCLP but it is true, what they have achieved is impressive.

air4,1.png

boostin4hp

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022

I'm having this same issue, did you ever resolve it? It works fine in High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and even Windows 11 but locks up Big Sur and Monterey with the NVME kext in the extensions folder.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Sorry, that I do not know. I was only referring to a system (MacBook Air 2012 13") with an upgraded WiFi card that therefore needs no patching of any kind at all (for Big Sur).
Your approach seems logical but as I understand, it’s easier to let OpenCore do that job "non-intrusive" than manually modify files on the sealed-system-volume. And even safer and update-proof.
@khronokernel explains in greater detail what obstacles they actually had to overcome to add WiFi support for non-BCM94360/94350 cards.
I uninstalled OCLP from my 13 inch Mid 2012 and Big Sur is working fine(with ethernet that is) and all of a sudden content caching started working as well. I have Mojave, Big Sur and Windows 11 Pro(Boot Camp) booting natively without issues. It is ridiculous for Apple to remove just the WiFi support, hopefully they will re-add it back in one of the final updates.

SharKal

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2023
Hi, I am sorry if it’s has already been discussed but the thread is very long and I just want an honest answer. My budget is very low and I can get a Mac mini 2011 i7 for dirty cheap. However I am running big sur on my Mbp. Is it possible with the patcher to also run on the Mac mini 2011 i7 with the Radeon graphic card without any glitches or strange occurrences ?

Many thanks.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi, I am sorry if it’s has already been discussed but the thread is very long and I just want an honest answer. My budget is very low and I can get a Mac mini 2011 i7 for dirty cheap. However I am running big sur on my Mbp. Is it possible with the patcher to also run on the Mac mini 2011 i7 with the Radeon graphic card without any glitches or strange occurrences ?

Many thanks.
I had a 2011 MBP8,2 i7 with a small SSD and 16GB installed. It ran fine using OCLP 0.4.11 and the latest Big Sur. Should be similar on the Mac Mini. I have seen reports of people even installing Ventura successfully, but I never tried that. That MBP is now doing duty at a friend's house. Tough little 12-yr-old monster!

Last edited:

puremind2000

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018
Hello:

MacBookPro 5,2 17" and successfully installed BigSur with OCLP. Really cool.
Now I got the FileVault problem... won't work.

Reading around, I see is that I had patched the ROM with dos dudes APFS BootRom patcher that made work Mojave for a long time natively:

but I never kept my" MacBookPro5,2 backup.bin " bin file to restore it ... damm. For what I can see, there would be no other way to get FileVault to work.

Your system ROM has been successfully patched, and should now be able to boot from APFS volumes natively. A backup of your system's original ROM has been saved to "/Users] MacBookPro5,2 backup.bin". It is recommended to save this file in a safe location.

The chip I have is the one in the middle, as in the picture: "3205D"

Would be anyone with the same machine generous enough to send me a copy of theirs (or create a backup) with a PM?

Here is the link to download the romtool to dump it

Would there be any problem?

I should've kept the file :(

any other suggested solution?

Thank you anyone for any help

EDIT: Managed to get it sorted. Adding steps if anyone else ever needs:

Last edited:

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
Hello guys!

What do you think about install Big Sur to a Macbook Pro 2010 with SSD but only 4GB of RAM? I'm having a good fight with High Sierra since it refused to install a few times but finally did it and also, i installed the last security update (006) and boom, wifi hardware not detected..

Total caos.

Anyone with a Macbook Pro 2010? It worth to install Big Sur on it?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hello guys!

What do you think about install Big Sur to a Macbook Pro 2010 with SSD but only 4GB of RAM? I'm having a good fight with High Sierra since it refused to install a few times but finally did it and also, i installed the last security update (006) and boom, wifi hardware not detected..

Total caos.

I had a MBP 8,2 from late 2011 that worked very well using OCLP 0.4.11, get that here --->
and Big Sur. You need a 16GB USB and follow the instructions at:
Big Sur is available here,

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I had a MBP 8,2 from late 2011 that worked very well using OCLP 0.4.11, get that here --->
and Big Sur. You need a 16GB USB and follow the instructions at:
Big Sur is available here,
Thank you for the replay!

I'll try with Big Sur to see if works fine.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Hello guys!

Total caos.

I have a Macbook pro 5,5 (Mid 2009) with an SSD HD and upgraded to 8 GB of RAM. I installed Monterrey using OCLP 0.6.8---Monterrey actually was smoother and seemed to have less "glitches" than Big Sur on my 5,5......

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I've been using Mojave for the past year on a fully-loaded Mac Pro 5,1 (w/ Radeon RX 580 and BCM943602CDP WiFi/BT) in order to maintain occasional use of Dashboard and 32-bit apps, but there's been an increasing number of websites and software updates that are no longer Mojave (or Safari 14) friendly.

Contemplating an upgrade to Big Sur, preferably because I won't be bothered with security updates as it's pretty much EOL'ed at this point. I can resort to Mojave via VMWare Fusion for unsupported 32-bit apps and Dashboard (which is admittedly becoming fewer and farther between).

As a newbie that has yet to dabble with OCLP I just have one question: is it best to use the upcoming latest version (0.6.9) for upgrading to Big Sur? Or is it better to use an older version that's more optimized for Big Sur installations?

Thought I had read somewhere it's preferable to use a specific older version depending on which OS you want to install/upgrade. Not planning on any multi-boot environments (other than the existing Windows 10). I would just like to do a strict Mojave -> Big Sur upgrade in order to squeeze a few more years out of this thing until an M4 or M5 Mac Studio is ready.

vmflame

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2021
I've been using Mojave for the past year on a fully-loaded Mac Pro 5,1 (w/ Radeon RX 580 and BCM943602CDP WiFi/BT) in order to maintain occasional use of Dashboard and 32-bit apps, but there's been an increasing number of websites and software updates that are no longer Mojave (or Safari 14) friendly.

Contemplating using OCLP for the first time and upgrading to Big Sur, preferably because I won't be bothered with security updates as it's pretty much EOL'ed at this point. I can resort to Mojave via VMWare Fusion for unsupported 32-bit apps and Dashboard (which is admittedly becoming fewer and farther between).

As a newbie that has yet to dabble with OCLP I just have one question: is it best to use the upcoming latest version (0.6.9) for upgrading to Big Sur? Or is it better to use an older version that's more optimized for Big Sur installations?

Thought I had read somewhere it's preferable to use a specific older version depending on which OS you want to install/upgrade. Not planning on any multi-boot environments (other than the existing Windows 10). I would just like to do a strict Mojave -> Big Sur upgrade in order to squeeze a few more years out of this thing until an M4 or M5 Mac Studio is ready.
Well I think you need to make some video card check and also check the internals, however if you installed the macOS Mojave on a 5,1 Mac Pro I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with patching it to Big Sur. The other thing to consider is that macOS 11 will be extremely buggy on 5,1 Mac Pro since 10.14 is the last officially supported OS by 5,1. I think you should try patching your Mac to 10.15 first using the OCLP or using the dosdude1 Catalina patcher, and then try doing a Big Sir installation on a separate partition to about data loss.

reppresident

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2023
Rio de Janeiro _ Brasil

Contemplating an upgrade to Big Sur, preferably because I won't be bothered with security updates as it's pretty much EOL'ed at this point. I can resort to Mojave via VMWare Fusion for unsupported 32-bit apps and Dashboard (which is admittedly becoming fewer and farther between).

Use oclp 0.4.11 and everything will work as it should. 100% . Im on a cmp 5.1 and use this too. But im just with big sur, no multi boot.

Reactions: vmflame

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Use oclp 0.4.11 and everything will work as it should. 100% . Im on a cmp 5.1 and use this too. But im just with big sur, no multi boot.
I second this recommendation, and I have seen a dev who is active in the OCLP development also say no version greater than 0.4.11 is required for Big Sur and Monterey. Ventura introduced several hard-to-deal-with issues, and several versions of OCLP were released to deal with Apple's vagrancies, resulting in 0.6.8 and 0.6.9n, both of which work near perfection on my hardware, one old iMac from 2014. You should be good using Big Sur and that cMP.
See this, https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases
and scroll down for 0.4.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.