Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
It is worth noting that Mr. Macintosh recommends Big Sur and Monterey users should be using OCLP 0.6.8 at this point. He says it is outdated advice to be using 0.2.5 or 0.4.11. That said, if an older release works for you, there is no need to upgrade. I imagine from a support perspective it benefits the OCLP team to have all users running the latest version.

Reactions: reppresident

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
It is worth noting that Mr. Macintosh recommends Big Sur and Monterey users should be using OCLP 0.6.8 at this point. He says it is outdated advice to be using 0.2.5 or 0.4.11. That said, if an older release works for you, there is no need to upgrade. I imagine from a support perspective it benefits the OCLP team to have all users running the latest version.
Could you provide a link to the blog, etc. where "Mr. Macintosh recommends Big Sur and Monterey users should be using OCLP 0.6.8"? I can't seem to find that.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks, saw that, but he doesn't say why he thinks so. I have seen a post by one of the OCLP devs saying that OCLP 0.4.11 is all that is required for Monterey or Big Sur. In actual use, I have Monterey installed via OCLP 0.6.9n on an external SATA SSD connected to my older 2014 iMac, and it works well indeed. That system is a backup, as the internal Apple 128GB blade has Ventura running via OCLP 0.6.9n and I intentionally used the same OCLP version.

Reactions: Insidious

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Thanks, saw that, but he doesn't say why he thinks so. I have seen a post by one of the OCLP devs saying that OCLP 0.4.11 is all that is required for Monterey or Big Sur. In actual use, I have Monterey installed via OCLP 0.6.9n on an external SATA SSD connected to my older 2014 iMac, and it works well indeed. That system is a backup, as the internal Apple 128GB blade has Ventura running via OCLP 0.6.9n and I intentionally used the same OCLP version.
Yeah, true. Hopefully he'll explain why in a new video. I think for new users, using the latest version might be easier, however the reasons for using older versions makes a lot of sense in terms of compatibility. The devs are doing great things and it's fun to see where OCLP is heading with future updates.

ptrzoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2023
I had a MBP 8,2 from late 2011 that worked very well using OCLP 0.4.11, get that here --->
and Big Sur. You need a 16GB USB and follow the instructions at:
Big Sur is available here,
Hi,
just asking:
did you experience any problem after the installation's process, like, a little slow grafic movemet as you open and close folders or change desktops, or microphone and camera no accessable from any app? I own a MBP 8,2 with Snow Leopard, El Capitan and Monterey. The newest one has these issues but OCLP shows that all possible patches are already installed. I've tryed everything possible found on the net but nothing. On my iMac 2011 it run just fine and both Macs have ssd + RAM updrade.
Peace

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi,
just asking:
did you experience any problem after the installation's process, like, a little slow grafic movemet as you open and close folders or change desktops, or microphone and camera no accessable from any app? I own a MBP 8,2 with Snow Leopard, El Capitan and Monterey. The newest one has these issues but OCLP shows that all possible patches are already installed. I've tryed everything possible found on the net but nothing. On my iMac 2011 it run just fine and both Macs have ssd + RAM updrade.
Peace
That MBP is now serving as a back up machine at a friend's house. I can't remember having any issues while running Big Sur, but I don't remember trying to access the camera or mic, so that aspect is undetermined at the moment. If you have enough SSD space, create a new Volume and install Big Sur to see how it works. I remember thinking Big Sur was quite a bit more responsive, compared with Monterey on the machine. BTW the dGPU was disabled on the MBP8,2 via the NVRAM code:
nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

pete1

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
London, UK
IMG_3590.jpeg

I can’t get Big Sur to install on my 2011 iMac 21.5”. What’s causing the panic?

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Speaking for my MacBook Air 2012: With an upgraded BT/WiFi module, the model is so perfectly supported, you don't even need OpenCore for Big Sur, it's simply enough to skip the compatibility check of macOS with:
Code:
nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"
Everything works, including GPU acceleration (HD 4000) in all applications.
So all OpenCore has to do for a stock model, is patch the WiFi module.
I am wondering if you will be able to give a link for a BT/WiFi module and a feedback how hard it was to upgrade.
The reason I am asking is that I've found out that your approach is also very good to run macOS Monterey natively on a MBP 2012. Ethernet works but no BT and WiFi. Acceleration works with HD 4000 patch and a custom SIP setting.

Reactions: pippox0

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I am wondering if you will be able to give a link for a BT/WiFi module and a feedback how hard it was to upgrade.
Sure. I was lucky to snatch a used BCM94360CS2 for ~15€. (MacBook Air WiFi Bluetooth AirPort 2013-2019)
But additionally I had to order two short antenna extension cords to account for the increased length of the module. This problem may be specific to the MacBook Air.
The old screw/mounting point cannot be used anymore so I simply plugged it in without any additional locking. Seemed firmly enough to me.
To prevent any shorts on the bottom of the new module, I placed a small piece of plastic underneath.
It is detected correctly and all features work.

Acceleration works with HD 4000 patch and a custom SIP setting.
Sounds interesting, can you elaborate what you did specifically? Thanks

Attachments

• BCM94360CS2.jpg
    BCM94360CS2.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reactions: avz and pippox0

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Sure. I was lucky to snatch a used BCM94360CS2 for ~15€. (MacBook Air WiFi Bluetooth AirPort 2013-2019)
But additionally I had to order two short antenna extension cords to account for the increased length of the module. This problem may be specific to the MacBook Air.
The old screw/mounting point cannot be used anymore so I simply plugged it in without any additional locking. Seemed firmly enough to me.
To prevent any shorts on the bottom of the new module, I placed a small piece of plastic underneath.
It is detected correctly and all features work.

Sounds interesting, can you elaborate what you did specifically? Thanks
Thanks.

I noticed awhile back that it is enough to boot USB flash drive with the OCLP(I used 0.4.11 but perhaps even earlier versions will suffice) at least once on your Mac for the custom(lowered) SIP settings to become very sticky and persistent until you reset NVRAM. This will allow for a HD 4000 patch to remain intact on subsequent normal "native" re-boots with acceleration working. And of course you will need to set boot args with the command you provided in your original post.

I haven't used it much but so far it is working great with FileVault enabled. I deleted(with AppCleaner) OCLP/dortania folder from the Library/Application Support and the auto-patch.plist from the Library/Launch Agents and on a subsequent re-boot HD 4000 patch remained intact with working acceleration.

I like the fact that you are only offered normal updates(standalone Safari, MobileDevice, critical/security) but you will not be offered OS updates/upgrades since Apple can "see" that you Mac is unsupported so I will just have to update it manually when 12.7 is released.

Reactions: arw

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Did the clean install of 11.7.10 on my 5,1 and so far so good, everything’s mostly working as expected. The one issue is if the machine sleeps/hibernates longer than a few hours, it won’t wake back up, either with input devices or the power button. Have to force-shut down. I’ve read of this issue with Ventura installations but not Big Sur. Checked the Energy Savings properties but any suspected settings are not checked. It works as expected in Mojave. The install is on a NVMe in Slot 2 PCIe in case that’s relevant.

Anyone else have this issue? I’d like to continue using sleep/hibernation overnight if possible. Energy rates are expensive in my area. I’m not versed enough to mess around with hibernation configurations on my own without a little guidance.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Did the clean install of 11.7.10 on my 5,1 and so far so good, everything’s mostly working as expected. The one issue is if the machine sleeps/hibernates longer than a few hours, it won’t wake back up, either with input devices or the power button. Have to force-shut down. I’ve read of this issue with Ventura installations but not Big Sur. Checked the Energy Savings properties but any suspected settings are not checked. It works as expected in Mojave. The install is on a NVMe in Slot 2 PCIe in case that’s relevant.

Anyone else have this issue? I’d like to continue using sleep/hibernation overnight if possible. Energy rates are expensive in my area. I’m not versed enough to mess around with hibernation configurations on my own without a little guidance.
Hibernation was a mystery to me too, then I found the URL shown below, with several related settings. Unfortunately enough, unless you understand Japanese, it is difficult to read or translate. I have used these for several years and even now on a 2023 MBA. zero issues.

URL: http://baqamore.hatenablog.com/entry/2019/02/08/222401
pmset -g Shows the settings you have set now.
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage or sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
--Ignore any message saying there is no such file. Deleing this file also saves HD or SSD space, as the sleepimage file is the same size as the RAM in the machine.

Create a blanked zero-byte file so the OS cannot rewrite the file:
sudo touch /var/vm/sleepimage or sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Make file immutable:
sudo chflags uchg /var/vm/sleepimage
(sudo chflags nouchg ... to revert)

or

sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage
The sleep image file is actually in /private/var/vm/ but /var/vm/ is a symbolic link to that location.

sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0
--This command may produce a warning saying some features may not work properly. This is fine, it simply disables Internet access during sleep. This is the same as disabling "PowerNap" Apple's badly implemented (demented?) attempt to have apps update themselves during sleep behind the users back.

sudo pmset -a standbydelaylow 86400
sudo pmset -a standbydelayhigh 86400
sudo pmset -a highstandbythreshold 0
Ignore any messages produced by these last 3 commands
If necessary;
sudo pmset restoredefaults

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Hibernation was a mystery to me too, then I found the URL shown below, with several related settings. Unfortunately enough, unless you understand Japanese, it is difficult to read or translate. I have used these for several years and even now on a 2023 MBA. zero issues.

Thank you for the reference, I had seen these instructions before while doing research but was unsure of its pertinence to my specific situation.

I think I get the gist of different hibernation modes. However, by making the sleepimage file immutable, how does the machine handle memory state if you're in a mode that writes to the drive? (Or is that always supposed to be in tandem with a mode that keeps memory powered on?) Is it simply a redundancy to protect against drive writes when keeping the state in memory?

I won't be able to check the mode config for a few days. As I don't plan on using any remote wake features, and my computer is behind a UPS so loss of power is minimized, I'm ok with changing as much configuration as necessary to ensure wake works at all times. If I knew exactly what was causing prevention of wake after a few hours it looks like I could easily make those adjustments in Terminal.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thank you for the reference, I had seen these instructions before while doing research but was unsure of its pertinence to my specific situation.

I think I get the gist of different hibernation modes. However, by making the sleepimage file immutable, how does the machine handle memory state if you're in a mode that writes to the drive? (Or is that always supposed to be in tandem with a mode that keeps memory powered on?) Is it simply a redundancy to protect against drive writes when keeping the state in memory?

I won't be able to check the mode config for a few days. As I don't plan on using any remote wake features, and my computer is behind a UPS so loss of power is minimized, I'm ok with changing as much configuration as necessary to ensure wake works at all times. If I knew exactly what was causing prevention of wake after a few hours it looks like I could easily make those adjustments in Terminal.
Just to clarify the deletion of the sleepimage file, I believe that should only be used in conjunction with hibernation mode 0, which never writes to the disk, only to the memory. The default hibernation mode, mode 3, will write to the disk, and retrieving that info on wake up can interfere with the wake up process if the sleepimage file gets corrupted, etc. In any case, I have used that combination of commands on both laptops and desktops for at least 15 years, and have had zero related issues. Give it a try and see if your wake issues persist.
You can always revert to the default settings if it doesn't suit you or that computer.

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018

Fix hibernation / sleeps:

remove all IntelPowerManagement on EFI/OC/Kext and config.plist

reboot

Nice.

Jedi82

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
WOW! Just finished to install Big Sur via OCLP on my MacBook Pro mid 2010 and it works just fine! I have an SSD on it but for now 4GB of ram (I will immediately upgrade to 8GB) and I'm impressed about the performance and the fact I have ZERO issues....

Thanks thanks thanks for this tool. I can now finally reinstall macOS versions on external SSD (with M1 and M2 models that I have it's almost impossible!)

Nursey2Shoes

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
Texas
Hey everyone, successful installation to iMac 12.2 (mid-2011)
machine was previously upgraded to Kepler GPU (GTX780m).

OCLP 0.5.2 + BigSur 11.7.1 = noSound issue. System did not detect any speakers. Could play sound via BT.
rebuild EFI patcher with older OCLP 0.4.11, voila, sound is back!
#no sound on big sur OCLP imac 12.1

View attachment 2125825
Ok so this is my same imac version, and after several failed attempts with current OCLP I am still stuck... which version of OC and which version of OS did you use to build it?

mesaboogie

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
Thank you so much, it works on Big Sur (non metal) me after repairing the authorization:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/GarageBand.app
Yo... how is the repair executed? This issue is huge and I can't find any decent information on the matter - any help I do appreciate!!

denwa

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
HD3000 VDA decoder back on Big Sur:

After installing the latest High Sierra version of the AppleGVA.framework and the latest Catalina version of the AppleGVACore.framework, a reboot and this command line

Code:
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder -string force

I got finally this working on Big Sur:

View attachment 1805221

Thanks to EduCovas (his recipe using AppleGVACore, too), @jackluke for his incredible help and patience and finally @webg3 who reminded me using the force command....

If your want to check this yourself on an iMac with either TS2 patches through OCLP or with an NVIDIA metal dGPU follow this recipe to modify the root system volume. Of course you need to apply the chmod/chown commands to the both frameworks placed in /S*/L*/P*F* :)

Sorry to bump such an old post, I am currently trying to run Big Sur 11.7.10 with OCLP 0.6.1 on an iMac 12,2 with a K3100M (Kepler GPU).

Does this fix for HD3000 VDA only work with the original AMD gpu? Or perhaps with only older Big Sur versions? I was hoping that was not the case but would be a shame if so. I ran VideoProc but do not see the status going green after these instructions :(

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Sorry to bump such an old post, I am currently trying to run Big Sur 11.7.10 with OCLP 0.6.1 on an iMac 12,2 with a K3100M (Kepler GPU).

Does this fix for HD3000 VDA only work with the original AMD gpu? Or perhaps with only older Big Sur versions? I was hoping that was not the case but would be a shame if so. I ran VideoProc but do not see the status going green after these instructions :(
Incompatbile with all metal cards or better drivers. Revert to dosdude Catalina and iMac 2011 patches if you need this or change the dGPU again - AMD GCN4 will do the job on Sonoma.

Reactions: denwa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.