Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Is it possible to restate what was the problem?
This was concerning a unsupported Mac using OCLP with storage involving multiple volumes with different OS versions trying to use the APFS snapshot copy which requires a wipe of the destination with all volumes for that to work. You can read where it starts here.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Completely giving up on this as, no matter the destination (which has included a SanDisk flash drive) or anything I've tried I have repeatedly encountered APFS REPLICATION Failed (ASR failing Apple Software Restore).

CCC support - with much patience and generosity - has been with me all the way through and has found no solution.

Thanks to those here who have tried to help.
So sorry for you. Not an easy matter if im no not there really seeing how you do it. Works like a charm for me.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
This was concerning a unsupported Mac using OCLP with storage involving multiple volumes with different OS versions trying to use the APFS snapshot copy which requires a wipe of the destination with all volumes for that to work. You can read where it starts here.
Really, I don´t think it´s a matter of OCLP. It´s only about make boot clones. That´s why some post, as this, is nonsense to me. #572 Even, I didn´t care about answering such nonsense.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
To set the record straight, this may have started out as OCLP related - God forbid - but eventually OCLP became irrelevant. I was able to successfully create a Legacy Bootable volume along with the needed EFI partition, but the bottom line consideration was that I wasn't about to erase the internal, possibly lose that and have to do a complete reinstall, unless I could be certain by first testing that I would at least have a decent chance at successfully cloning the Legacy Bootable backup to that erased internal. Could be it would have worked, but couldn't risk it.

I tried testing in two ways: one, to an empty APFS formatted disk, two, to a SanDisk 64GB flash drive - large enough for the data and system volumes. The test involved booting to the Legacy Bootable backup, then having CCC set the destination to either of those, the empty disk or the flash drive, erasing the destination, and finally, selecting the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant for that destination. Either way, the response in short order was "APFS Replication failed." (Note, this is the procedure CCC recommends).

As for the SanDisk Ultra 64, CCC is aware that this particular drive, along with some others, is known for not always being bootable, and this may have caused the problem there, as the destination drive needs to support booting.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/help-my-clone-wont-boot#known_issues

"Configurations with which we have seen some problems

USB thumb drives are inherently slow devices, we don't recommend using these for making a bootable backup.
We have received many reports of inconsistent bootability with SanDisk flash drives (Cruzer, Ultra) and SD cards on macOS High Sierra. These devices are often slow anyway, so we don't recommend using these specifically for a bootable backup."

No idea why the empty disk also failed with the same error.

As already mentioned, CCC support, which was more than excellent, was out of ideas.

End of story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realityck

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
I was able to successfully create a Legacy Bootable volume along with the needed EFI partition
You had done a lot of work on this topic unknown to many of us. Hope to duplicate what you had done to see if it works for me if you don’t mind sharing the steps as I am not competent enough to do it myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: trifero

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Sure, will read his posts again and see if I could follow them but was hoping he would give a summary for the benefit of non-computer persons.

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Sure, will read his posts again and see if I could follow them but was hoping he would give a summary for the benefit of non-computer persons.
I would suggest that a "non computer person" stick with the straight forward operation of CCC which keeps a back up of all your data which can, if needed, be restored to a computer which already has the operating system installed. It is now quite a technical exercise to make a bootable backup in the way that we could before Apple Silicon chips but also, in my opinion, not as necessary as before.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Not sure just how "non-computer" this is - seems fairly straightforward to me - but FWIW, it's all here for a supported Mac (if unsupported, becomes more complicated):

Making a copy of the startup disk with the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant

Note, right-click on destination (usually an empty APFS formatted volume on an external drive - definitely not Firewire connected - Firewire no longer bootable) to reveal the Legacy Bootable option.

EDIT: for OCLP recommended to revert root patches on source first, but don't reboot when offered. Boot to clone and install root patches there when done.

Last edited:

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Thank you both for helping a non-computer member, I appreciate it! This forum is a great educational resource for me.
seems fairly straightforward to me
After making the CCC bootable copy, may I ask how did you then add the OCLP’s EFI to the external disk?

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Add EFI Partition by using Build and Install to parent disk at external

Everything there except for (optional, not essential)

"...and then finally
this https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...L.html#booting-seamlessly-without-boot-picker

The external bootable clone now appears to boot seamlessly, with no need to select the EFI Boot option."

dai-leung

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2017
Your exchanges with trifero were above my head, but at this level I could understand. Thank you for the recipe!

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
CCC 6 was announced back on May 20th shortly before WWDC 2021. I anticipate similar timing with its successor still in CCC 7.0 beta 1 status latter this month.
For the duration of beta testing, beta versions of CCC 7.0 will accept a CCC v6 license. This beta will expire 90 days from the date it was built. If/when you decide to use the final release of CCC v7, a v7 upgrade license will be required.
So far both are working with MacOS 14.5 beta 4 just fine.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
CCC 7 (8010) is now available to purchase or use for the next 30 days free. If you're using CCC 7 beta 1 (8007) you now can update.

• Fixed
    Build 8010 removes a dialog suggesting that the "beta" would expire on August 5.
  • New
    A new Backup Volume Setup Assistant guides users through formatting destination volumes, and asserts that the destination is dedicated to the backup task to avoid conflicts with other backups and other purposes of disk usage. The new setup assistant should go a really long way towards getting backup tasks set up correctly the first time, and without a trip to the documentation.
  • New
    Added search functionality to the Snapshot Comparison Window.
  • New
    Added a snapshot disk usage limit to custom snapshot retention policies (i.e. so you can say, "I want to retain backup history, but I only want the 'history' part of my backup to consume 500GB of space").
  • New
    Added support for flagging specific snapshots to not be deleted by CCC snapshot thinning and pruning, "protected snapshots".
  • New
    Added support for manually creating snapshots on a volume.
  • New
    Scheduled tasks can now be limited to running only when the Mac is on ethernet, on a specific WiFi network, or set to a specific location.
  • New
    CCC's file copier can now detect renamed folders on APFS source volumes, and will rename the folder on the destination rather than recopying all of its content.
  • New
    You can now store notes alongside each task (e.g. to indicate the purpose of a task, or some other piece of helpful context).
  • New
    When snapshot support is enabled on the source, CCC will now create snapshots on the source at the scheduled task run time, even if the destination is unavailable. When you travel without a backup disk, this allows you to retain older versions of files on the source while you're traveling.
  • New
    You can now enable/disable encryption on APFS volumes via a simple switch. Select a volume in the sidebar to find this setting.
  • New
    We added support to the CCC command-line utility for creating, deleting, listing and mounting snapshots. Run the ccc utility without arguments to see the new options.
  • New
    The CCC Dashboard offers more granular control over which CCC Activity events are shared with Notification Center and the level of attention that the notifications will request.

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Agreed, I do not need or plan to use any of the new features, but plan to pay to update just to support them and keep current.
Agreed. I'll be updating eventually, many tasty new features in the 'CCC7 spoiler', but nothing I can't live without. I've decided to stay with Ventura and the currently working versions of my most essential app and utilities, and see no reason to upgrade CCC for now. It's been my approach for a very long time to stay with what's working and not fix what's not broken. The advise; "Make sure you're always up to date" that I read all the time is asking for trouble IMO. That's just me.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Agreed. I'll be updating eventually, many tasty new features in the 'CCC7 spoiler', but nothing I can't live without. I've decided to stay with Ventura and the currently working versions of my most essential app and utilities, and see no reason to upgrade CCC for now. It's been my approach for a very long time to stay with what's working and not fix what's not broken. The advise; "Make sure you're always up to date" that I read all the time is asking for trouble IMO. That's just me.
Usually CCC updates are for the next three versions of MacOS qualification, not for 10.15.7 Catalina thru Sonoma usage covered by CCC6. So yeah no incentive to update for awhile depending on your needs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.