Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I have 10 SSD drives in total in my 7,1 NcMP. One is the OEM drive which I don't use. Three are 2.5" SSDs mounted inside the machine. Six are Samsung M.2 SSDs mounted on two PCIe cards. My Sonoma boot and a backup and my Ventura boot and a backup are located on the M.2 SSDs. The M.2s are identified by the Mac as external. even though reside inside my Mac.

Lou

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
I do not use any app other than CCC to make my bootable clones. You just need to follow the steps outlined on page one of this thread. As you can see, I had trouble at first back then. But, now a piece of cake👍🏻

Lou
This forum appears to be a mix of those running supported and unsupported Macs. Here, I'm running Ventura via OCLP. Hence my question re. the EFI Partition not being copied by CCC. The EFI is essential to booting via Legacy Bootable in unsupported versions. Since you didn't mention anything about OCLP, or the EFI, is that because you are running supported versions? If so I mistakenly assumed you were running OCLP. If not, then back to square one.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This forum appears to be a mix of those running supported and unsupported Macs. Here, I'm running Ventura via OCLP. Hence my question re. the EFI Partition not being copied by CCC. The EFI is essential to booting via Legacy Bootable in unsupported versions. Since you didn't mention anything about OCLP, or the EFI, is that because you are running supported versions? If so I mistakenly assumed you were running OCLP. If not, then back to square one.
flowrider is using a Mac Pro 7,1 (2019). Supported by current MacOS.

Reactions: RK78

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Re. Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant (Ventura OCLP)

Successfully created this as a backup on an external drive - shows as startup disk and starts up properly. But have not been able to use this to make a bootable copy at an empty volume using CCC Restore, selecting the Legacy Bootable volume as source, empty disk as destination. Since CCC doesn't copy over the EFI partition, have manually copied the contents of the original EFI * at the destination, plus have also tried using Build and Install to Disk from within the copied volume by selecting the proper parent disk of the external (what I did originally to make the successful Legacy Bootable volume bootable - on inspection the EFI on the copy appears to be identical to the orignal ).

Either way, nothing I've tried works. The new volume created by CCC Restore never shows up as a startup option, nor does it show up using the EFI boot option on a restart. Did this as a test, and it seems pointless to have a working Legacy Bootable backup if it can't be bootable when copied to an empty volume, or to replace a corrupted Ventura OCLP install if some unfortunate event occurs.

Perhaps someone can explain what I might be doing wrong, offer the proper steps to make this work, or point me to something that might help with this.

*Did this by way of EFI Agent, which is able to mount and open the appropriate EFI.

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Problem copying Ventura OCLP Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant to empty disk.

Successfully created this volume on an external drive - shows as startup disk and starts up properly. But have not been able to make a bootable copy at an empty external volume using CCC Restore, selecting the Legacy Bootable volume as source. Since CCC doesn't copy over the EFI partition, have manually copied the contents of the original EFI * + have also tried using Build and Install to Disk from within the copied volume by selecting the proper parent disk of the external (what I did originally to make the successful Legacy Bootable volume bootable - on inspection the EFI on the copy appears to be identical to the orignal ).

But either way nothing I've tried works. The new volume created by CCC Restore never shows up as a startup option, nor does it show up using the EFI boot option on a restart. Did this as a test, and it seems pointless to have a working Legacy Bootable volume if it can't be bootable when copied to an empty volume, or to replace a corrupted Ventura OCLP install if some unfortunate event occurs.

Perhaps someone can explain what I might be doing wrong, or offer the proper steps to make this work.

*Did this by way of EFI Agent, which is able to mount and open the appropriate EFI.

I think you should create a separate thread for this.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Not sure I understand why this forum dedicated to CCC isn't appropriate. Why would my topic which directly concerns CCC be better suited to macOS, which is very general?

EDIT: Plus elsewhere, e.g., in macOS, would have to suppy a great deal of background information re. CCC Legacy Bootable, OCLP and EFI before I could even get started, with which the general reader there would most likely not be familiar, which I think would be quite off putting. Not sure anyone there would want to read through all that. And besides it would make my task of posting quite onerous - don't think I could simply copy and re-post my OP, which already took a fair amount of time.

EDIT 2: OK re-posted my OP at macOS. Will see what comes of it, but doubtful.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Re. Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant (Ventura OCLP)

Successfully created this as a backup on an external drive - shows as startup disk and starts up properly. But have not been able to use this to make a bootable copy at an empty volume using CCC Restore, selecting the Legacy Bootable volume as source, empty disk as destination. Since CCC doesn't copy over the EFI partition, have manually copied the contents of the original EFI * at the destination, plus have also tried using Build and Install to Disk from within the copied volume by selecting the proper parent disk of the external (what I did originally to make the successful Legacy Bootable volume bootable - on inspection the EFI on the copy appears to be identical to the orignal ).

Either way, nothing I've tried works. The new volume created by CCC Restore never shows up as a startup option, nor does it show up using the EFI boot option on a restart. Did this as a test, and it seems pointless to have a working Legacy Bootable backup if it can't be bootable when copied to an empty volume, or to replace a corrupted Ventura OCLP install if some unfortunate event occurs.

Perhaps someone can explain what I might be doing wrong, offer the proper steps to make this work, or point me to something that might help with this.

Obviously, you re doing something wrong. I make full clones, boot from them and then clone it again to the original drive almost every two or three weeks, montns ago, in OCLP macs. Look for my post among this thread. There is no problem at all.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Obviously, you re doing something wrong. I make full clones, boot from them and then clone it again to the original drive almost every two or three weeks, montns ago, in OCLP macs. Look for my post among this thread. There is no problem at all.
Absolutely agree. Must be doing something wrong. It's not the EFI, since it's there where it belongs. When I do a CCC clone (either by way of a standard clone or a restore - have tried both ways) of the Legacy Bootable backup, I'm noticing in DU that only the Data volume is copied, while DU shows both Data and System for the Legacy Bootable volume. Since apparently the default behavior of CCC is to only copy the Data volume, this would appear to be normal, no?

So would that explain why the CCC clone of the Legacy Bootable backup isn't bootable, because it's missing the System volume?

Looked everywhere, but not finding the post you refer to "Look for my post among this thread."

My procedure: boot to the Legacy Bootable volume, then use CCC to clone it to an empty, newly formatted APFS volume, either by CCC Restore or a standard CCC clone. Since that is obviously not working can you please describe the steps you use. It must be something quite simple that I'm missing.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Not sure I understand why this forum dedicated to CCC isn't appropriate. Why would my topic which directly concerns CCC be better suited to macOS, which is very general?
The reason that was suggested was that the CCC developer can't support or address issues with non-supported Mac hardware utilizing OCLP. I asked him twice about that.

If you get it to work thats wonderful, but if it is going to be a long issue of diagnosing why CCC 6 doesn't work in that scenario, obviously there would be many more eyes that are experience with unsupported Macs using OCLP that would perusing the Sonoma MacOS threads on a regular basis for suggestions/solutions. :)

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Absolutely agree. Must be doing something wrong. It's not the EFI, since it's there where it belongs. When I do a CCC clone (either by way of a standard clone or a restore - have tried both ways) of the Legacy Bootable backup, I'm noticing in DU that only the Data volume is copied, while DU shows both Data and System for the Legacy Bootable volume. Since apparently the default behavior of CCC is to only copy the Data volume, this would appear to be normal, no?

So would that explain why the CCC clone of the Legacy Bootable backup isn't bootable, because it's missing the System volume?

Looked everywhere, but not finding the post you refer to "Look for my post among this thread."

My procedure: boot to the Legacy Bootable volume, then use CCC to clone it to an empty, newly formatted APFS volume, either by CCC Restore or a standard CCC clone. Since that is obviously not working can you please describe the steps you use. It must be something quite simple that I'm missing.
Tell me something: when you clone, do you delete completely the destination drive previous to clone it with Disk Utility?

Last edited:

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Tell me something: when you clone, do you delete completely the destination drive previous to clone it with Disk Utility?
EDITED: After a conversation with CCC support, recommended procedure:

- The destination must support booting macOS. (In my case, unsure that the plain vanilla disk I chose for my test qualifies).

- Not ready to do this yet, but if and when I do, I will need to boot to the Legacy Bootable Copy, then, as you mention, erase the internal disk (Ventura).

- After setting CCC with source as the currently booted to Legacy Bootable copy, and destination as the now erased internal, set the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant for that same destination (I must have omitted this last step in my test).

- When all finished set the Startup Disk

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
EDITED: After a conversation with CCC support, recommended procedure:

- The destination must support booting macOS. (In my case, unsure that the plain vanilla disk I chose for my test qualifies).

- Not ready to do this yet, but if and when I do, I will need to boot to the Legacy Bootable Copy, then, as you mention, erase the internal disk (Ventura).

- After setting CCC with source as the currently booted to Legacy Bootable copy, and destination as the now erased internal, set the Legacy Bootable Copy Assistant for that same destination (I must have ommited this last step in my test).

- When all finished set the Startup Disk
Erase completely with Disk Utility before. The full drive. Sometimes when the destination drive have APFS partitions, CCC mess with them.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Erase completely with Disk Utility before. The full drive. Sometimes when the destination drive have APFS partitions, CCC mess with them.
Erasing the full drive could be tricky. Besides Ventura OCLP, I have Catalina and High Sierra (HFS+) on partitions there. Don't want to lose all that.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Erasing the full drive could be tricky. Besides Ventura OCLP, I have Catalina and High Sierra (HFS+) on partitions there. Don't want to lose all that.
I was talking about the destination drive...

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Fully erasing the destination drive would mean erasing both the Ventura Data and System volumes, not just the Data. Is that what you mean?
See post #3 erase volume set, not just data.

trifero said it earlier

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
See post #3 erase volume set, not just data.

trifero said it earlier
Thanks, hoping that no misfortune arrives making it necessary to use the Legacy Bootable backup - if it happens, most likely needed at an update - will definitely pay attention to that.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Fully erasing the destination drive would mean erasing both the Ventura Data and System volumes, not just the Data. Is that what you mean?
Of course ¡¡¡iit´s a clone!!! Don´t look further, this is reason it´s not working. Don´t you have another drive, a drive you can erase?. Even a usb flash drive can do, just for testing.

RK78

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
Completely giving up on this as, no matter the destination (which has included a SanDisk flash drive) or anything I've tried I have repeatedly encountered APFS REPLICATION Failed (ASR failing Apple Software Restore).

CCC support - with much patience and generosity - has been with me all the way through and has found no solution.

Thanks to those here who have tried to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.