Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@K two Not really much help. I'm looking for Macs that need Legacy Wi-Fi post install patches for versions of macOS before Sonoma. Not critical and is just to satisfy my curiosity/ desire to learn. No rush.

EDIT: Please disregard my question. I found the answer in the 1.4.2 nightly source code (resources/sys_patch/sys_patch_detect.py):
Code:
            if self.os_major > os_data.os_data.ventura:
                self.modern_wifi = True

Last edited:
Reactions: K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
@K two Not really much help. I'm looking for Macs that need Legacy Wi-Fi post install patches for versions of macOS before Sonoma. Not critical and is just to satisfy my curiosity/ desire to learn. No rush.

EDIT: Please disregard my question. I found the answer in the 1.4.2 nightly source code (resources/sys_patch/sys_patch_detect.py):
Code:
            if self.os_major > os_data.os_data.ventura:
                self.modern_wifi = True
This:

Legacy Wireless Support​

For systems that required Root Patches in macOS Monterey to achieve Wireless support, unfortunately macOS Ventura has broken the patch set. Currently the following Wifi cards are unsupported:

• Atheros: All models
  • Broadcom: BCM94328 and BCM94322

The following machines shipped stock with these cards:

• iMac12,x and older
  • Macmini3,1 and older
  • MacBook5,x and older
  • MacBookAir2,1 and older
  • MacBookPro7,1 and older
    • MacBookPro6,x is exempt
  • MacPro5,1 and older

Reactions: deeveedee

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
This:

Legacy Wireless Support​

For systems that required Root Patches in macOS Monterey to achieve Wireless support, unfortunately macOS Ventura has broken the patch set. Currently the following Wifi cards are unsupported:

• Atheros: All models
  • Broadcom: BCM94328 and BCM94322
Thank you. That's where my confusion was. I'll need to look again at sys_patch (for legacy_wifi) when I get a chance.

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Upgraded OCLP to 1.4.1. macbookpro11,5 Mid-2015. Root patch for AMD Radeon R9 M370X and Intel Iris Pro.

My profile to block Sonoma is still active:

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 22.13.34.png

Followed my checklist, inspired by several participants in this thread:

- [ ] Upgrade OCLP and Root patch.
- [ ] Restart. Reset NVRAM.
- [ ] Hit alt when booting after NVRAM
- [ ] All OK? Remove root patches. Say NO to reboot.
- [ ] System settings > Software Update. Start installation. Wait for the mac to reboot on its own.
- [ ] Install Root patches when booted with new system
- [ ] Restart. Reset NVRAM
- [ ] Hit alt when booting after NVRAM

No Wi-Fi root patch, so Wi-Fi worked at once. And Apple watch unlocks Mac.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Thank you. That's where my confusion was. I'll need to look again at sys_patch (for legacy_wifi) when I get a chance.

"1.4.2

- Resolve Auto-Join support for Modern Wireless on macOS 14.4

- Applicable for BCM94360, 4360, 4350, 4331 and 43224 chipsets

- Resolve WiFi support for Legacy Wireless on macOS 12.7.4 and 13.6.5

- Applicable for BCM94328, BCM94322 and Atheros chipsets

- Resolve USB 1.1 on macOS Ventura regression from OCLP 1.4.0

- Increment Binaries:
- PatcherSupportPkg 1.4.8 - release"

Sorry about all the white-space. 🤷‍♂️

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@K two Ok - thanks for clarifying. Keeping my comments specific to Ventura (in this Ventura thread): For my Mac (with modern_wifi which does not require OCLP post-install patches in any version of Ventura), I'll still be applying post-install patches (Nvidia graphics) with OCLP 0.6.8 for Ventura 13.6.5.

For those with legacy_wifi (BCM94328, BCM94322 and Atheros chipsets), OCLP 1.4.2 post-install patches are required for Ventura 13.6.5.

Thanks again for your patience with my mixup of legacy_wifi and modern_wifi and my apologies to those whom I dragged into my confusion.

Last edited:

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
@K two I'll still be applying post-install patches (Nvidia graphics) with OCLP 0.6.8 for Ventura 13.6.5.

Do you mean that for any Ventura version, including the latest one, OCLP 0.6.8 needs to be installed (instead of the latest OCLP) — because this was the last release to introduce Ventura-specific changes and all the next releases were targeting Sonoma only?

Do you have any info that installing latest OCLP instead will cause any problems with latest Ventura?

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Do you mean that for any Ventura version, including the latest one, OCLP 0.6.8 needs to be installed (instead of the latest OCLP) — because this was the last release to introduce Ventura-specific changes and all the next releases were targeting Sonoma only?

Do you have any info that installing latest OCLP instead will cause any problems with latest Ventura?
I mean to say that my Mac only requires the OCLP 0.6.8 Nvidia post-install patches to run Ventura (including 13.6.5). My Mac's Wi-Fi is still natively supported by the Wi-Fi framework in all versions of Ventura, so no Wi-Fi post-install patches are needed for my Mac running Ventura. This is my preferred approach (for me) as long as newer versions of OCLP are in flux while being refined for Sonoma. My production volume is Ventura and my production post-install patches for Ventura are OCLP 0.6.8, as both still do everything I need. After testing and confirming proper operation, I don't make changes to my production volume unless they are necessary.

I maintain multiple APFS volumes, each running different versions of macOS and each root-patched with its own version of OCLP. It's just my approach. Others may operate differently.

EDIT: I recognize that Macs with "legacy_wifi" (as defined by OCLP) need the post-install patches in OCLP 1.4.2 to run Ventura 13.6.5. Those patches don't apply to my "modern_wifi" (as defined by OCLP).

Last edited:

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
I installed Ventura on my MacBookPro8,1 (13-Inch, Early 2011). Works pretty good (in my eyes for the age of the MacBook Pro).

Problem: My Airpods Pro 2 are recognized in the settings thorugh iCloud but I can't connect to them. I can press the "connect"-button, it start's rotating and after a few seconds the "connect"-button is back in place.

I can remove the AirPods from the system, press the button on the AirPods-Case and connect manually - the AirPods are working after that until I put them back into the case. After that it starts from the beginning.

Is there a workaround to connect the AirPods without deleting and reconnecting them anytime I want to use them?

Thanks!

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America

Nope. :cool:

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
Which version of OCLP did you use to "Build and Install Open Core" and apply Post-Install patches to Ventura?
I installed Ventura (completely fresh install) about 2 weeks ago with 1.4.0 and today I updated to 1.4.2 and I also ran the Root-Patches after the install and today. No change.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@Quarkii I don't have your AirPods, but I can confirm that OCLP 1.4.2 generates an Open Core EFI with the latest enhancements/lessons learned, so it may not be OCLP. Have you tried the steps here (including 'reset your Airpods')?

EDIT: @Quarkii One other thing ... If you haven't already, Reset NVRAM from the Open Core menu before you boot macOS.

Last edited:

Quarkii

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2021
@Quarkii I don't have your AirPods, but I can confirm that OCLP 1.4.2 generates an Open Core EFI with the latest enhancements/lessons learned, so it may not be OCLP. Have you tried the steps here (including 'reset your Airpods')?

EDIT: @Quarkii One other thing ... If you haven't already, Reset NVRAM from the Open Core menu before you boot macOS.
Thanks! I tried both, reconnect Airpods, reset Airpods and NVRAM Reset with OpenCore. Seems, that I can connect them now, but more randomly. Sometimes I can connect, sometimes not - but I don't know what I need to do to connect them :D

It worked after I did the NVRAM reset and removed the AirPods from the settings. But after I restared the Mac it started to struggle.

So it's getting better - I am on the way - but not over the finish line. Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems, that the Mac is struggling with the Bluetooth. When I can connect to the AirPods there is also a TV that is shown up in the settings. When I can't connect the TV is gone, like the Mac can't find any other Bluetooth devices anymore.

cyberstudio

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2020
I am downgrading to OCLP 1.4.1. I do not have legacy wifi (iMac14,3) but the old Nvidia root patch appears to be more stable. I am getting video glitches and lags with the new root patch. (Ventura 13.6.5)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.