Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

LookingOut

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Toronto
I recently updated to Ventura 13.6.5 from 13.6.4 using the finder. No issues. A couple of days after the install I went to open the OCLP 1.3.0 app and the a dialog box popped up informing me the the app was broken or missing items. Directly after the update the OCLP had opened and functioned fine.

I downloaded the latest release 1.4.2 from the repository, deleted the previous app from the Dortania folder and installed directly there, creating an alias which I dragged over to Application folder. I tried at first a direct install to the Application folder but the app would not load to the correct folder and leave an alias behind.

I had no plans to update the OCLP app but having done so, I can boot into the Ventura recovery mode with out issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: K two

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Glad you're back up and running. A couple of quick questions:
I recently updated to Ventura 13.6.5 from 13.6.4 using the finder.
How do you update macOS by 'using the finder'?

I had no plans to update the OCLP app but having done so, I can boot into the Ventura recovery mode with out issue.
Were you not able to boot Ventura recovery when using previous versions of OCLP?

Last edited:
Reactions: paalb

LookingOut

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Toronto
Glad you're back up and running. A couple of quick questions:

How do you update macOS by 'using the finder'?

Were you not able to boot Ventura recovery when using previous versions of OCLP?
Updated through the System Settings (over the air?), I did not create a USB boot drive. The machine was fully functional and never down, I just could not open OCLP due to the error. After the update, OCLP opened and worked fine it was a few days later the error showed up - I just wanted to check verbose on. I reinstalled OCLP and just installed the latest version instead of 1.3.0.

No I could not boot from recovery before it would just hang. The efi in use with OC is on my external SSD.

Last edited:

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
So I ran OCLP to install Ventura on a separate SSD inside my cMP 5,1. Installed fine. Did the root patch post install, but the USB ports on the back just won't seem to work. Any stuff I connect to it (my audio card, keyboard or whatever) won't work.. even though they show up as devices under the correct USB bus in System Information.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Just installed OCLPv.1.4.3n over v.1.5.0n on the Ventura partition and it fixed an intermittant transperancy drop-out in the Dock and Menubar. :cool:

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
So I ran OCLP to install Ventura on a separate SSD inside my cMP 5,1. Installed fine. Did the root patch post install, but the USB ports on the back just won't seem to work. Any stuff I connect to it (my audio card, keyboard or whatever) won't work.. even though they show up as devices under the correct USB bus in System Information.
May have to reset NVRAM a few times to get it to work. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: trifero

dcabq

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Updated from Ventura 13.6.4 to Ventura 13.6.5 for early 2009 Mac Mini 3,1 via OTA with no issues. Need to run OCLP 1.4.2 "Build and install OpenCore" and "Post-install root patches" first. Then reboot, run OTA Ventura 13.6.5 (also download KDK_13.6.5_22G621), reboot, run "Post-install root patches", and finally reboot.

Updated from Ventura 13.6.4 to Ventura 13.6.5 for early 2009 iMac 9,1 via OTA with no issues. Need to run OCLP 1.4.2 "Build and install OpenCore" and "Post-install root patches" first. Then reboot, run OTA Ventura 13.6.5 (also download KDK_13.6.5_22G621), reboot, run "Post-install root patches", and finally reboot.

Updated from Ventura 13.6.4 to Ventura 13.6.5 for late 2012 Mac Mini 6,1 via OTA with no issues. Need to run OCLP 1.4.2 "Build and install OpenCore" and "Post-install root patches" first. Then reboot, run OTA Ventura 13.6.5, reboot, run "Post-install root patches", and finally reboot.

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
May have to reset NVRAM a few times to get it to work. 🤷‍♂️
I did that (up to 5x consecutively) Also reset the SMC. But to no avail. The stiff that I connect to the back USB ports just won’t seem to work. So far the only thing that does work from these ports are USB drives.

My wired mouse, keyboard and my RME Babyface (usb audio interface) don’t work from these ports.

Now, the interesting thing is: the RME Babyface won’t work off the other ports either. Whilst the keyboard and mouse do.

I have updated the drivers and firmware of the audio interface, but to no avail. I have uninstalled en re-installed the driver, but to no avail. According to RME the interface should work with the latest driver under Ventura. I have re-applied the post install root patch, but to no avail.

I’m scratching my head here.

Using cMP 5,1 and OCLP v1.4.2

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@LFO8 Your signature indicates 'OpenCore 0.7.6' but I suspect that's not what you're using. Always provide your OCLP version (the version you are currently using to "Build and Install Open Core" and to apply post-install patches) when you report a problem or ask for help.

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
@LFO8 Your signature indicates 'OpenCore 0.7.6' but I suspect that's not what you're using. Always provide your OCLP version (the version you are currently using to "Build and Install Open Core" and to apply post-install patches) when you report a problem or ask for help.
My apologies. Forgot about my sig. I have updated it to reflect my current config.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck and K two

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
If I swap SSD in my machine after I build and install OCLP onto USB drive on it — can it cause OCLP EFI boot option to not appear when holding Option key upon machine starting up?

I have MacBookPro9,1. I created Ventura installer on my USB drive, and I performed "build and install OpenCore" to the same USB drive. EFI boot option does not appear if SSD is swapped, but it does appear with original SSD.

I wanted to make clean install on a new SSD, but to prepare/build OCLP using old SSD.

Installing some older supported macOS first on the new SSD, then building OpenCore from it, and only then using OCLP to install Ventura — is my only option?

Last edited:
  • Wow

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
If I swap SSD in my machine after I build and install OCLP onto USB drive on it — can it cause OCLP EFI boot option to not appear when holding Option key upon machine starting up?

I have MacBookPro9,1. I created Ventura installer on my USB drive, and I performed "build and install OpenCore" to the same USB drive. EFI boot option does not appear if SSD is swapped, but it does appear with original SSD.

I wanted to make clean install on a new SSD, but to prepare/build OCLP using old SSD.

Installing some older supported macOS first on the new SSD, then building OpenCore from it, and only then using OCLP to install Ventura — is my only option?
Need more info - OS/OCLP version(s), SSD capacity(s) and why not install everthing directly to the new SSD and use Migration Assistant to complete the task?? 🤷‍♂️

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Current OS: 10.14.6
OCLP: 1.4.2
SSD capacity (both ones): 256 GB

SSD gets installed into optical drive bay inside MacBook via "Optibay" adapter (maybe this is the reason of a problem as it is not located in the usual hard drive slot and gets connected differently as opposed of a regular hard drive).

Usual hard drive slot holds HDD as data volume.

I need to install new SSD into MacBook before I can install anything to it, and I planned to replace old SSD with a new one. But thinking about it now — I could swap HDD with new SSD to get both SSDs in a system, maybe then EFI boot will appear and I will be able to install to new SSD.

I don't need to migrate anything as I plan a clean install

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
(but no, to be safe I won't do this — if I build OpenCore then swap SSD and it does not boot, then I better build it with my new SSD in its final location... So I'll need to do a double install with Mojave first, then build OCLP)

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Current OS: 10.14.6
OCLP: 1.4.2
SSD capacity (both ones): 256 GB

SSD gets installed into optical drive bay inside MacBook via "Optibay" adapter (maybe this is the reason of a problem as it is not located in the usual hard drive slot and gets connected differently as opposed of a regular hard drive).

Usual hard drive slot holds HDD as data volume.

I need to install new SSD into MacBook before I can install anything to it, and I planned to replace old SSD with a new one. But thinking about it now — I could swap HDD with new SSD to get both SSDs in a system, maybe then EFI boot will appear and I will be able to install to new SSD.

I don't need to migrate anything as I plan a clean install
Which MB? Getting rid of spinning rust is always a good idea. The dual SSD config should work just fine. Remember to format the new SSD, accordingly. :cool:

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2012 (MacBookPro9,1). Old SSD is also rust and I'm replacing it suspecting it is starting to fail. And I don't want to invest any more money into this machine as I plan an upgrade in 6-12 months.

Considering OCLP needs to be built with SSD in its final place, don't think it is good idea to place it in different place just to be able to build OCLP and install Ventura on it, to then swap it into different location and finally installing OCLP to it (though it might work, I'm just not sure about specifics, e.g. will it needs to be built for internal SSD again and if so — will it conflict with OS installation in place which was performed with a different OCLP build 🤯)

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2012 (MacBookPro9,1). Old SSD is also rust and I'm replacing it suspecting it is starting to fail. And I don't want to invest any more money into this machine as I plan an upgrade in 6-12 months.

Considering OCLP needs to be built with SSD in its final place, don't think it is good idea to place it in different place just to be able to build OCLP and install Ventura on it, to then swap it into different location and finally installing OCLP to it (though it might work, I'm just not sure about specifics, e.g. will it needs to be built for internal SSD again and if so — will it conflict with OS installation in place which was performed with a different OCLP build 🤯)
Keeping each OS on separate SSDs may be the best approach in your situ? Best of luck. :cool:

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I did it. During OS installation I first got this error. Did not perform PRAM reset, just a regular restart, Option key then didn't show "EFI boot", but it probably shouldn't. I then proceeded with selecting "Something installer" with a grey hard drive icon (as described in OCLP FAQ) multiple times. Multiple times I had crossed circle icon on dark and light backgrounds, suggesting system was installed but wasn't booting via OCLP or something. One time Ventura booted but was very sluggish.

After multiple further tries and repeated restarts and installs of something — Ventura booted and performed well. On the first boot OCLP suggested to build and install patcher onto internal SSD, which I did. I then was able to boot without USB connected. Post-install patches were already installed and I didn't need to install them manually.

Now I have well functioning Ventura installation with no apparent bugs/problems

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
I did it. During OS installation I first got this error. Did not perform PRAM reset, just a regular restart, Option key then didn't show "EFI boot", but it probably shouldn't. I then proceeded with selecting "Something installer" with a grey hard drive icon (as described in OCLP FAQ) multiple times. Multiple times I had crossed circle icon on dark and light backgrounds, suggesting system was installed but wasn't booting via OCLP or something. One time Ventura booted but was very sluggish.

After multiple further tries and repeated restarts and installs of something — Ventura booted and performed well. On the first boot OCLP suggested to build and install patcher onto internal SSD, which I did. I then was able to boot without USB connected. Post-install patches were already installed and I didn't need to install them manually.

Now I have well functioning Ventura installation with no apparent bugs/problems
Great job! Enjoy your "new" Mac. 👏

Reactions: vmz

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Hello

Macbook 11,3 Mid 2014 with Nvidia 750m and Ventura 13.6.1 with OCLP 1.2.1

every now and then , mediaanalysisd spike my cpu even when my OS is idle and fans starts to run at max speed - is that some of the limitations in the current status of OCLP or some bug that still not fixed related to my hardware ?

I tried to turn off icloud photos and I'm not using the photos app but the problem still exists, can it be disabled in a safe way or there is some workaround to get around this problem ?

Thank you
I have similar problem with MacBookPro9,1 (mid 2012) and macOS 13.6.5 with OCLP 1.4.2. When it idling for ~10 minutes, the fans start spinning and left-hand side just above the keyboard becomes hot (not sure if it's GPU or CPU area). After I start interacting with laptop the fans gradually calm down.

I once checked Activity Monitor right away and noticed mediaanalysisd with something like ~20% CPU usage, it then almost immediately gone away.

What's your experience so far with this? Looks like I'll need to shut laptop down at bedtime

P.S.: this appears to be related: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/u17hsa

Edit: current options are App Tamer or disabling mediaanalysisd in OCLP settings; tried App Tamer and it works well, probably won't bother messing with more system patching (if it even would work). SMC reset might also work

Last edited:

vmz

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
OCLP 1.4.2 has this option in settings (Extra tab), but AFAIK it only available for certain types of Macs, e.g. with Kepler-based GPUs. I assume one would need to enable this option, then re-build and re-install OpenCore patch

Shadow Demon

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2018
How do we disable mediaanalysisd in OCLP settings?
@vmz Thank you! I never noticed it as it's greyed out for my Mac.
There is always the option of using the following commands in Terminal:

sudo launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.mediaanalysisd
sudo launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.mediaanalysisd

Also, use OnyX maintenance to rebuild the launch services database. 501 is the User ID so if you have multiple users this may be different number. Right-click for Advanced Options under a particular user in System Settings - Users & Groups.

Reactions: deeveedee and K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
macOS 13.6.6 installed atop 13.6.5 OTA, OCLP v.1.4.3n runs as expected. :apple::cool:
1366.jpg An update via SilentKnight was also performed. ;)

Reactions: deeveedee and vmz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.