Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
By the way, speaking of the anti-virus software issues and Ventura, a new version of Malwarebytes was released today:

It states "Added support for macOS Ventura (version 13)", but according to what I recently read (on Monday), V13.0 of Ventura causes issues with security (ie, anti-virus) software:

Seems like there is a work around, but rather see it fixed. And apparently not yet fixed in the V13.1 beta.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Probably never. Ventura Beta 13.1 has already been issued and is working fine for me.

Lou

so at the end they must have had some serious fixes to address. 13.0.1. released today

Well I feel stupid - images.jpeg

Lou

• Haha
Reactions: rehkram

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
Well I feel stupid - View attachment 2110906

Lou
No reason to feel stupid. I would never had expected a V13.0.1 release, given that the V13.1 beta came out the day after V13.0 was released. But, as someone already mentioned, seems like some thing serious required the update. Also, maybe not too much progress with the V13.1 beta testing.

Again, I still wonder about the security issue with V13.0, and whether or not it got rectified with V13.0.1. As I also mentioned previously, I did also read that issue was still present in the beta.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
^^^^Well, Beta 2 came out earlier this week!

Lou
Yeah, saw that. I just downloaded the full V13.0.1 installer from the App Store, and am about to install it onto an external SSD. Will also (of course) migrate my Apps, Settings, etc. from my Mini, and then start testing. We'll see how it goes.

Again, though, no reason to feel stupid.

JCarp

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
"sharing" on both Ventura and iOS 16.2 - Has apple disabled this feature or is it a known bug? I can no longer pull up files, map directions, and perhaps others, and share that via iMessages and/or other applications.

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
Via the Carbon Copy Cloner thread:

I was able to successfully install Ventura onto an external SSD, and have been booting my Mac Mini from it since yesterday. So far, all is well. The apps I have so far tested are:

Thunderbird
Brave
Firefox
Safari (very briefly)
Onyx
LibreOffice
Quicken 2017
VLC
Magic Number Machine (an excellent calculator!)
Full Deck Solitaire
1Password (used within each browser)

Of course not as speedy as if I was running it from the Mini's internal SSD, but still responsive enough.

The 2 critical ones I need to test are TechTool Pro (can do it "easily"), and SuperDuper! (SD). For SD, hopefully I can use a partition on my other Samsung 1 TB T7 external SSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: TriciaMacMillan

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
OK, updated report. Yesterday I ran Onyx on my Ventura system and it seemed to work fine. However, basically ever since then, the startup of the Mini from that Ventura SSD has been, at times, "quirky". By that I mean seems to take longer, and sometimes an additional screen appears before the normal log on screen. But from there, things progress like normal. I did run Disk Utility a few minutes ago to apply First Aid to that Ventura SSD (all 3 levels, ie, the top level (named Samsung SSD (or something like that), then the APFS container containing the Ventura "systeM", and finally the Ventura "system" itself). No errors were found, and I'll see if it helps.

Also, Ventura seems to use more memory at start up than Monterey does. Not a big deal, as I have an app called Memory Cleaner which cleans up/frees up memory. Like normal, though, some apps/sites do not "give all the memory back", but again, I can control that.

Unfortunately, had an issue with SuperDuper!, V3.7 (latest version). I have another Samsung 1 TB T7 external SSD that has 3 MacOS Extended (Journaled) volumes on it. One of the volumes was called "Miscellaneous", and was empty. So, I connected that SSD to my other Thunderbolt port, then ran Disk Utility and Erased and Formatted as APFS (GUID Partition Map) that Miscellaneous Volume, and renamed it as Ventura Backup. Launched SuperDuper! and it started. But about 3 to 5 (or so) minutes later, it stopped, with this error message:

"| 09:21:02 AM | Error | Error Domain=ExecutionContext Code=1 "Could not resolve symbol target.systemVolume.bsdName - value is nil" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Could not resolve symbol target.systemVolume.bsdName - value is nil}"

SuperDuper! gave me the option to send the information to Shirt Pocket Software, which I did. Hopefully they will respond soon with an explanation.

I wonder if using the USB-A port instead could be the issue. Might try that.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Be aware that Onyx clears out a lot of temp files and logs, permissions are repaired, databases rebuilt, file structures reorganized, hard disk structures are checked, and indexes restored. Meaning that booting immediately following a Maintenance run in Onyx, will prompt some rebuilding, which will take time and resources. After I run Onyx, I always leave my Mac running overnight to settle down and rebuild indexes for instance.

With regards to memory usage in Ventura vs. Monterey, I have seen the opposite on my Mac Studio - Ventura is simply better at handling memory usage. I have adamantly stay away from memory clearing tools since I lost data in an app because the clearing tool caused the app to crash. Since then, I have relied on Macos and rebooting my Mac every night.

Reactions: gilby101 and gank41

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
Be aware that Onyx clears out a lot of temp files and logs, permissions are repaired, databases rebuilt, file structures reorganized, hard disk structures are checked, and indexes restored. Meaning that booting immediately following a Maintenance run in Onyx, will prompt some rebuilding, which will take time and resources. After I run Onyx, I always leave my Mac running overnight to settle down and rebuild indexes for instance.

With regards to memory usage in Ventura vs. Monterey, I have seen the opposite on my Mac Studio - Ventura is simply better at handling memory usage. I have adamantly stay away from memory clearing tools since I lost data in an app because the clearing tool caused the app to crash. Since then, I have relied on Macos and rebooting my Mac every night.
Understand about Onyx, although with my M1 Mac Mini and OS 12.6.1, running Onyx does affect maybe only the first restart of the Mini less so in terms of speed than Ventura, but it quickly gets "fixed". But with Ventura, seems to take longer. In fact, after shutting down my Mini and eating, then coming back (about 45 minutes later), still slower on startup, and again the "progress bar" screen is slow. Of course, this is only the "1 and a 1/2" version of Ventura, and a newer Ventura version of Onyx, along with running all this on an external SSD.

Never have had an issue with Memory Clean. Works like a charm! And seems to work flawlessly with Ventura.

I suspect things will only improve with Ventura, Onyx, memory usage, etc.

Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket software did reply quickly, and sent me a newer "beta" version of SuperDuper! to try. I've already downloaded. He did not say anything about that USB-A versus USB-C (Thunderbolt) "quirk I mentioned amount installing Ventura on an external SSD. Still seems to be a mystery.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Never have had an issue with Memory Clean. Works like a charm! And seems to work flawlessly with Ventura.
A charm that disrupts the memory management strategies built into macOS. Yes, it will take memory from macOS management and increase the free (=unused) memory. But is that a good thing? Most likely not!
I have adamantly stay away from memory clearing tools
+1

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
A charm that disrupts the memory management strategies built into macOS. Yes, it will take memory from macOS management and increase the free (=unused) memory. But is that a good thing? Most likely not!

+1
Disagree. Has never caused me any issues, most recently with Monterey (currently V12.6.1). In fact, after using Memory Clean with Monterey to free up memory, software still runs flawlessly, and subsequent memory usage is definitely improved. Not so (at least so far) with Ventura. Again, it is only V13.0.1, and as expected, certainly not mature (nor error free) yet.

Additionally, the newer SuperDuper! program Dave sent me did not "work". What happened is the backup ran fine, and created a bootable backup/clone (at least that is what was indicated in SD), but when I went to select that SD backup as the startup disk, got the following message shortly thereafter:

"The version of macOS on the selected disk needs to be reinstalled.

Use recovery to reinstall macOS or select another startup disk"

I of course chose the latter, ie, selected another startup disk. I have EMailed Dave about this.

Last edited:

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
We could argue forever on this one without any chance of convincing the other. And it is off-topic. So lets leave it at that.
Fine. But I was not trying to convince you. Just stating the situation for me.

Also, it's important to realize that Ventura still has a ways to go before it becomes "stable". As it is, I typically do not start testing a new macOS until at least v2, but with V13.1 not scheduled to be released until December 12th, at the earliest, I wanted to "get my feet wet", and glad I did.

axiomatic clarity

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2022
pCloud (3.11.9 Intel) is compatible with Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400). I verified with their support that the culprit is which extension is given approval in the Privacy and Security settings right after boot. Indeed there are two separate extensions that you can give clearance in Privacy and Security settings: one is the FUSE version of the pCloud extension which lacks full compatibility, the other is the proprietary pCloud extension. Give clearance to the latter and not the former to activate the pCloud drive in the Finder.

I am running a large account on an intel MacBook 16 inches with 32GB and a Radeon 5500M without glitches.

On this machine Ventura turned out to be very much faster than Monterey.

ForegroundBehind

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2022
Hello all, I'm copy and pasting this from my Retroactive iTunes thread on the Monterey forum, given that I've been having problems since updating to Ventura:

After a fresh install everything has been going well with iTunes 11... until an update to Ventura. I lost three songs in the update, and with tens of thousands of tracks I can't easily find which ones they are. I deleted all of the tracks off my computer and reimported everything from my backup SSD, but again three songs are missing. I can confirm that the songs are not missing from my SSD, since the songs transfer on Catalina or Monterey. Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding this?

EDIT: Actually iTunes 11 keeps shutting down unexpectedly now, again this started with the update to Ventura. I am running Retroacitve 2.0 which is supposed to work with Ventura.

edjusted

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2010
For anyone still on 1Password 7, if you had "install updates automatically" turned on, you might've been updated to a crashing version a few days ago.

My 1Password 7 kept crashing on launch (the app. The browser extensions still work).

I noticed it was at version 7.9.7, but the latest version on the web site is 7.9.6.

Manually downgrading to 7.9.6 stopped the crashing, and 7.9.7 is now nowhere to be found. Not cool, 1Password!

Chozun

Suspended
Nov 1, 2022
For anyone still on 1Password 7, if you had "install updates automatically" turned on, you might've been updated to a crashing version a few days ago.

My 1Password 7 kept crashing on launch (the app. The browser extensions still work).

I noticed it was at version 7.9.7, but the latest version on the web site is 7.9.6.

Manually downgrading to 7.9.6 stopped the crashing, and 7.9.7 is now nowhere to be found. Not cool, 1Password!
I can't remember how exactly I upgraded from V7.9.6 to V7.9.7, but I am not having any issues with V7.9.7 on either of my Macs running Monterey, nor on an external SSD I've been using for testing V13.0.1 of Ventura.

Reactions: edjusted

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
Well I feel stupid - View attachment 2110906

Lou
haha, don't feel stupid. Nobody sees in their kitchen. It could be easily you who could be right about the 13.1 vs 13.0.1 😉.

Anyway I am still surprised (positively) about Ventura performance so far. I remember having app issues on Monterey. Microsoft Teams has been causing sporadic panic crashes after launching. ESET Antivirus was decreasing performance even in later versions of Monterey which resulted in often "spinning wheels" app stuttering etc.

All that was happening on my iMac 27 5k (2020) which is still Intel machine of course. I haven't seen any issues with Monterey and the same apps on my wife M1 Air. I also use mostly apple native apps for work (Safari, Notes, Mail...) only few are from 3rd party developers (365 Office, IntelliJ, TG Pro, ESET antivirus and Diablo 3 😁 haha )

So far I do not have any major problems with Ventura on any of my machines. Cheers

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I've had 4 Kernel Panics in the last 2 weeks or so, Crash Logs indicating the Extensions in backtrace: 'com.apple.driver.watchdog' & 'com.apple.driver.AppleIntelKBLGraphics'

The Intel Graphics Driver one seems to be due to my Docking Station my 2018 Mac mini is connecting to. The WatchDog one, though, is harder to troubleshoot as that's the 'app' that checks for updates and pings back & forth to Apple. So that just stopped working, and eventually causes the Mac to just crash & reboot. Definitely had better performance with my 2018 Mac mini on 13 than on 13.0.1, meanwhile my 2020 M1 MBP is chugging along quite nicely. I need to stop comparing these things with the Macs of old, though. Gone (for me, anyway) are the days of 20+ days of uptime. When I'm at 5 days I'm happy 😆

Reactions: adrianlondon

Brachaci

Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
I believe it is a way of things...more complex software, requires more development time and more thorough testing. But this is just the first part. Cross platform / HW / APP testing is completely different story. We got more stuff to work with, more software and HW solutions for home work, office work from different parties. It is natural that we get so many bugs and crashes. Especially when pressure for development and innovation (or "innovation") is unreal due to market competition. It is the biggest enemy of quality programming and development. I work my whole life in corporates and it is always the same story. Deliver first, fix later. Nobody cares anymore about good quality experience so much as it was before. I am not hating Apples work on the field. I still believe that in terms of user experience (at least in my case) it is far ahead of Microsoft. But I would not mind not getting new macOS / iOS / iPadOS release every year in favour of longer development and bug fixing.

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
macOS reminders is broken on both iMac and iPhone, the + symbol to add a reminder is now just a circle of dots. Until I upgraded to Ventura, this was not the case on the iMac, just the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.