Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Thanks for the answer. I had browsed the recent posts but most of the time it was unclear (at least for me, granted) if it was an OTA, in doubt I would always assume that it was a fresh install (as I did since long for a third machine as below in my signature). I'm finding strange that no OTA was proposed or even found on search (on both machines) because in the past I would always receive them since Ventura... Will have to check if there is some hardware limitation or else. Thks again.
I did my test drive update from OCLP 1.4.2 to 1.4.3, and then Sonoma 14.4 to 14.4.1. Didn't have any issues outside those that come with using an unsupported OS compared to supported.

trancerr

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2024

Attachments

• Снимок 16.04.2024 в 12.00.jpeg
    Снимок 16.04.2024 в 12.00.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: K two

fulltilt54

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
Hello and good day. I just wanted to make a question; maybe a request, to the OCLP's developers.

My main machine is the 2013 Mac Pro & eGPU. The need for accelerated graphics is the main reason, that I am still on Monterey (I am also waiting for a fix, for the CPU Power Management and DRM on Ventura). Of course; without the "KRYPTONITE" fix, there would not be a working eGPU.

My current setup is:
2013 Mac Pro > TB2 to Tb3 adapter > Razer Core X Chroma > RX 6900 XT > Studio Display

The KRYPTONITE developer has already shown interest to make his fix public, to incorporate on Open Core and make ours old Macs keep going strong...

Well, my question or humble request is; if the Development Team manage to fix all the quirks on Ventura/Sonoma and the 2013 Mac Pro & newer Radeon/nVidia graphics cards; could you add the "KRYPTONITE" fix to the patches? The Tb2/3 eGPU support on Ventura and maybe the last Intel compatible, Sonora, is a must have.

Thank you very much for the great work from all the team, regarding all macOS(s) & old Macs. Kind regards to all.

I’d like to echo this sentiment and thank the developers for all of their hard work.

The 2013 Mac Pro is severely hampered by not being able to use an eGPU in anything past Monterey. It affects any Mac with Thunderbolt2, but seeing how used prices on Trash Cans are finally coming down, this affects their usability more than most. The Kryptonite software is no longer being developed by its creator but he was hoping and left instructions on how the OCLP team might incorporate Kryptonite into future OCLP releases.

Thanks for all of your contributions and I hope you might think about fixing TB2 eGPU functionality in future OCLP releases.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
The 2013 Mac Pro is severely hampered by not being able to use an eGPU in anything past Monterey. It affects any Mac with Thunderbolt2
That is simply not correct. I'm typing on a rMBP10,1 using 14.4.1 + 1.5.0n. It has 2 TB2 ports. Both are working fine, one for ext display, one for ethernet. eGPU is active when running, for example, 3D app Sketchup 17

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
The full installer will be created in the applications folder. Did you ran the update from there?

OMG, I think you nailed it. I just thought the .pkg would reproduce the System Settings 's OTA. But no, indeed, I have the installer in the Apps folder and I'm just right now installing from it... I really should have known better after all these years hacking with dosdude1's installers and MLPF on my just recently-disposed (C2D-upgraded) Macmini 2,1. 👍👍👍🙏🙄😯.

PS.: And of course the 14.4.1 install went without issues. BTW the root patching detected a corrupted KDK and reinstalled it from the .pkg. Maybe this can explain that the 14.4.1 OTA was never prompted or found. Have to check still if my other machine that wouldn't also prompt 14.4.1 had also had some corruption, if not the same.

Last edited:

complexchris

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
IMG_8823.jpeg
Hi everyone,

I need help with my MBP that is stuck mid-install of MacOS 14.4.1 + OCLP 1.4.3. Bit of context - I’ve originally had a Sonoma 14.4 installed on my Mid-2014 Retina MBP (A1398) and decided to do re-do the root patch when things were freezing in the system. I then ended up getting a prohibited screen after the restart and couldn’t get into recovery mode as it was just black. After doing some research I have seen that re-installing the OS worked for some people. I didn’t have my initial USB installer anymore as I had wiped it right after my initial Sonoma install awhile back (lesson learned). I then created a new Sonoma 14.4.1 Installer with OCLP 1.4.3 using a friend’s MBP that has the same model (A1398 as well). The install worked well for the first bit… until up around the 19 minutes left remaining mark. It then restarted a few times, and is now at an Installation Progress screen without any “remaining time left” messages at the bottom and has been stuck there for the past 12 hours now.

What do I do for now? Do I just keep on letting it sit? Or is it safe to turn it off and just re-do the install all over again?

The last thing I would ever want to do is wipe the drive as I had files I haven’t backed up yet before things went haywire during the initial Sonoma 14.4 Install and would really like to explore all other options first

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

fulltilt54

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
That is simply not correct. I'm typing on a rMBP10,1 using 14.4.1 + 1.5.0n. It has 2 TB2 ports. Both are working fine, one for ext display, one for ethernet. eGPU is active when running, for example, 3D app Sketchup 17
Yes, I meant the problem is with external GPU's over the Thunderbolt 2 interface. As far as I can tell, it was broken as of Ventura 13.2 and then the Kryptonite developer moved on.

Reactions: rehkram

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
The last thing I would ever want to do is wipe the drive as I had files I haven’t backed up yet before things went haywire during the initial Sonoma 14.4 Install and would really like to explore all other options first

Your first action should be a back up attempt. Get yourself a Thunderbolt 2 cable, an external USB drive, and your friend's Mac, and use Target Disk Mode to back up your files.

Then use your friend's Mac to create macOS USB install media on 32GB thumb drive. Pick a version of macOS your 2014 rMBP will run natively (High Sierra / Catalina / etc). Erase the internal storage and reinstall macOS. At this point, perform your OCLP upgrade. Then restore your backed up data files.

complexchris

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Your first action should be a back up attempt. Get yourself a Thunderbolt 2 cable, an external USB drive, and your friend's Mac, and use Target Disk Mode to back up your files.

Then use your friend's Mac to create macOS USB install media on 32GB thumb drive. Pick a version of macOS your 2014 rMBP will run natively (High Sierra / Catalina / etc). Erase the internal storage and reinstall macOS. At this point, perform your OCLP upgrade. Then restore your backed up data files.
Thank you so much for the response!

Two quick questions:
1. Should I turn off my Mac and open it back up again or just keep it at the installation screen it’s frozen at before I do the Target Disk process?
2. Will a normal “Apple Thunderbolt Cable” work for the Target Disk process? It doesn’t necessarily say Thunderbolt 2 so not sure if that is the same thing but aware enough of the difference between Thunderbolt 2 and 3

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Two quick questions:
1. Should I turn off my Mac and open it back up again or just keep it at the installation screen it’s frozen at before I do the Target Disk process?
2. Will a normal “Apple Thunderbolt Cable” work for the Target Disk process? It doesn’t necessarily say Thunderbolt 2 so not sure if that is the same thing but aware enough of the difference between Thunderbolt 2 and 3
You will need to hard shutdown the Mac and reboot holding down specific keyboard key sequence. As for the cable question, TB2 and TB3 cables have different shaped connectors. Your 2014 rMBP has TB2. Don't know what TB your friend's Mac has. If friend's Mac has TB3, you will need TB3-TB2 adapter. You might be able to use a USB cable but that depends on several factors. It's all covered in the article I linked in previous post.

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
MBP5,2: I remembered that I own a dual-port USB3 expresscard34 (nanoTECH) which I now use instead of a USB2 hub, to connect keyboard and mouse during installation of macOS and while root patches not yet done (the hub method is unreliable on my machine).
As a test if the expresscard still works in Sonoma, used it successfully to install 14.5b1 from full installer. Built a new EFI with OCLP 1.5.0n while the expresscard was plugged in so the "XHCI booting" setting was checked by default. (Note that since Monterey, the expresscard doesn't seem to work anymore for storage devices. But fine for keyboard etc.)

Excellent that OCLP contains all these goodies. Thanks!

Now installing 14.5b2 OTA over b1...
EDIT: installation finished all automatic. Closest-match KDK used in root patching is the one from b1. System running fine.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-16 um 17.44.51.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-16 um 17.44.51.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-16 um 17.49.03.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-16 um 17.49.03.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-17 um 09.15.59.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-17 um 09.15.59.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 36
  • thissys.png
    thissys.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Oh wait, you were referring to a true eGPU, not the 2nd dGPU graphics card in this m/c. Apologies for my confusion!

Reactions: fulltilt54

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Imac 27/13.2 1.4.3 update beta 2 14.5. Hard to believe how smoothly this went, I clicked on software update took a long walk, came back wondering what screen I would find, and there was the message that I needed to patch, which I did and everything seems great.

I just became interested in Sonoma and OCLP again recently, after screwing up when Sonoma first came out, another dumb move----now it all seems so much easier. I quit reading the forum on page 19, now 230 pages later it is good to be interested again. Thanks to the Miracle Workers.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
View attachment 2368850 Hi everyone,

I need help with my MBP that is stuck mid-install of MacOS 14.4.1 + OCLP 1.4.3. Bit of context - I’ve originally had a Sonoma 14.4 installed on my Mid-2014 Retina MBP (A1398) and decided to do re-do the root patch when things were freezing in the system. I then ended up getting a prohibited screen after the restart and couldn’t get into recovery mode as it was just black. After doing some research I have seen that re-installing the OS worked for some people. I didn’t have my initial USB installer anymore as I had wiped it right after my initial Sonoma install awhile back (lesson learned). I then created a new Sonoma 14.4.1 Installer with OCLP 1.4.3 using a friend’s MBP that has the same model (A1398 as well). The install worked well for the first bit… until up around the 19 minutes left remaining mark. It then restarted a few times, and is now at an Installation Progress screen without any “remaining time left” messages at the bottom and has been stuck there for the past 12 hours now.

What do I do for now? Do I just keep on letting it sit? Or is it safe to turn it off and just re-do the install all over again?

Thank you so much in advance!
Get a cup of tea. Reboot the machine. Hold option. Select correct efi and volume in bootpicker. Hold Shift and press Enter to boot into safe mode. It's likely you have to login during the installation once. Don't expect it to see your user desktop, instead it will keep on finishing the installation. Expect it to reboot a few times and let it do its thing. In the meanwhile enjoy your tea. When done installing just logon, apply OCLP patches and reboot as you are used to.

Last edited:

yafflehk

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2024
I just updated my 2011 mac mini to sonoma, primarily to use as a way of consolidating several disparate iphoto/photos libraries. However I'm running into a problem: The "Library" option is missing from the sidebar. I can see all the pictures in the library only by making a smart album that shows all pictures after a certain date. Searching the web shows that this is a problem, but not one that has happened often or with a definite solution. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a way to fix it?

edit: I also suspect that Photos is not searching for duplicates or faces.
According to the OCLP discord this is an issue with Photos on all non-metal macs. It's a hardware issue and so will never be fixed. It also stops the app from scanning your library for duplicates and faces :(

Reactions: K two

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Update using OTA to 14.5b2 went fine on this 6,1. Not able to apply root patches as OCLP refuses to accept password when trying to relaunch as admin.

After changing settings in OCLP to verbose mode, booting into safe mode not longer an option. Failed to bootstrap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Update using OTA to 14.5b2 went fine on this 6,1. Not able to apply root patches as OCLP refuses to accept password when trying to relaunch as admin.

After changing settings in OCLP to verbose mode, booting into safe mode not longer an option. Failed to bootstrap.
What about NVRAM reset? Otherwise you have to wait for a full Usb installer b2 to reinstall.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
What about NVRAM reset? Otherwise you have to wait for a full Usb installer b2 to reinstall.
Thanks for the suggestion. The solution turned out to be a bit different, unexpected even. I restarted the device a few hours later, suddenly it booted again. Tried to reapply patches, OCLP tried to download and merge the KDK again but failed.

After some back and forth and restart attempts with and without safe mode the system fixed itself. OCLP downloaded the KDK again, repatching worked this time. Rebooted. This MB is back, up and running.

Magic or sophisticated coding skills? You decide. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mpbb and K two
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.