Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Send a grab of the “Stats for nerds” overview for YouTube, that should show you what settings are being used for playback (normally restrictions like that apply only to AV1; you should be able to check your account settings and see if that is enabled)
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 3.18.19 PM.png

AVC1 would be H.264 right...This is the same case on other browsers like Chrome and Edge with the extension H264ify

I don't see the setting in Youtube for AV1 where older videos say it should be

Last edited:

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
MBP5,2: I remembered that I own a dual-port USB3 expresscard34 (nanoTECH) which I now use instead of a USB2 hub, to connect keyboard and mouse during installation of macOS and while root patches not yet done (the hub method is unreliable on my machine).
As a test if the expresscard still works in Sonoma, used it successfully to install 14.5b1 from full installer. Built a new EFI with OCLP 1.5.0n while the expresscard was plugged in so the "XHCI booting" setting was checked by default. (Note that since Monterey, the expresscard doesn't seem to work anymore for storage devices. But fine for keyboard etc.)

Excellent that OCLP contains all these goodies. Thanks!

Now installing 14.5b2 OTA over b1...
EDIT: installation finished all automatic. Closest-match KDK used in root patching is the one from b1. System running fine.
I also have a (generic) USB3 expressCard on a MBP5,2 which is indeed convenient for the root-patching phase (though an external hub worked fine the first time, provided you get one with 3.0 support, my very first old one didn't). From what you say I'm most pleased (or not) to learn that the expressCard used to work for mounting volumes until Monterey, since it also never worked for me under Sonoma and I was wondering if I needed a higher-end expressCard with more power. Anyway I still have a Catalina install, so I'll give a try one of these days. Great to know also that 14.5/1.5.0 is already working nicely as we have almost the same machine.

P.S.: Once again I couldn't resist your lead on installing 1.4.5b2 on such a similar machine, so I went for it. Install went with no issues (OCLP detected my b2 OTA download and downloaded the (b1) KDK beforehand).

Attachments

• MBP5,2@14.5b2.png
    MBP5,2@14.5b2.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: hvds

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Geek question: Which eGPU could I connect to my 2009 Macbook to drive a 4k display?
Nevermind. Available solutions are limited to Thunderbolt2/3

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Running Sonoma 14.4.1 and OCLP 1.4.3 on my 2014 retina imac
Seem to be getting the CPU smashed by some or all of these processes on a regular basis. Didn't happen on 14.4:
  • OtherUsersStorageExtension
  • DeveloperStorageExtension
  • colorsync.useragent
  • kernelmanagerd
colorsync.useragent is a weird one ... if this happens and I then go to settings and displays to look at the colour profile setting, the colour profile seems to be rapidly flicking between "iMac" and nothing. If I kill the process or reboot, it stops.

macpro_mid2014

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
View attachment 2368850 Hi everyone,

I need help with my MBP that is stuck mid-install of MacOS 14.4.1 + OCLP 1.4.3. Bit of context - I’ve originally had a Sonoma 14.4 installed on my Mid-2014 Retina MBP (A1398) and decided to do re-do the root patch when things were freezing in the system. I then ended up getting a prohibited screen after the restart and couldn’t get into recovery mode as it was just black. After doing some research I have seen that re-installing the OS worked for some people. I didn’t have my initial USB installer anymore as I had wiped it right after my initial Sonoma install awhile back (lesson learned). I then created a new Sonoma 14.4.1 Installer with OCLP 1.4.3 using a friend’s MBP that has the same model (A1398 as well). The install worked well for the first bit… until up around the 19 minutes left remaining mark. It then restarted a few times, and is now at an Installation Progress screen without any “remaining time left” messages at the bottom and has been stuck there for the past 12 hours now.

What do I do for now? Do I just keep on letting it sit? Or is it safe to turn it off and just re-do the install all over again?

The last thing I would ever want to do is wipe the drive as I had files I haven’t backed up yet before things went haywire during the initial Sonoma 14.4 Install and would really like to explore all other options first

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!
If you still have this situation, what solved my problem sometimes was to boot in Safe Mode (pressing Shift). In my case, the installation proceed until the end.

Reactions: olad and Mystere65

shafez

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
United States
I also have a (generic) USB3 expressCard on a MBP5,2 which is indeed convenient for the root-patching phase (though an external hub worked fine the first time, provided you get one with 3.0 support, my very first old one didn't). From what you say I'm most pleased (or not) to learn that the expressCard used to work for mounting volumes until Monterey, since it also never worked for me under Sonoma and I was wondering if I needed a higher-end expressCard with more power. Anyway I still have a Catalina install, so I'll give a try one of these days. Great to know also that 14.5/1.5.0 is already working nicely as we have almost the same machine.

P.S.: Once again I couldn't resist your lead on installing 1.4.5b2 on such a similar machine, so I went for it. Install went with no issues (OCLP detected my b2 OTA download and downloaded the (b1) KDK beforehand).
How is the perfomance? ihave Mbp 11,1 late 2013 and not happy with the performance.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
How is the perfomance? ihave Mbp 11,1 late 2013 and not happy with the performance.
I guess it depends on your expectations, actually I use my 2009 MBP for just about everything except scientific calculations or heavy CAD. It's still my desktop replacement machine given its 17" screen. It's not edgy-snappy but very comfortable for my needs. Be sure of course to install a fast SSD because that's where you gain at least 2 generations or 6 years of performance and, it goes without saying, get as much RAM as you can.
From what I see in Geekbench charts, the MBP 2013 seems to have a huge performance spread from 3612 with i7 @2.6GHz (4 cores) down to 1584 i5 @2.4GHz (2 cores). On single core, 993 down to 801, so still 20%. I would advice a basic check with GB6 to see if you are at least above the average benchmarks of your MBP. I'm quite glad that mine is well above an early-2009 2.7GHz MBP (390/640 over 335/499) and even more over a mid-2009 3.1GHz (306/461 ?!) but these figures do not seem very reliable as you can see. So again, first try to pimp your machine if you're not well above GB6 averages. Otherwise my benchmarks have not changed more than 2% since Catalina (dosdude1 patches) to Sonoma(OCLP), what is unnoticeable.

Last edited:

natus.w

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2021
View attachment 2369234

AVC1 would be H.264 right...This is the same case on other browsers like Chrome and Edge with the extension H264ify

I don't see the setting in Youtube for AV1 where older videos say it should be
H264ify should be forcing everything through the that protocol, so this is definitely what should be happening..

Are the options set to block AV1? (that box IIRC is ticked by default)

Audiologist1974

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2020
Installed Sonoma 14.4.1, with OCLP 1.4.3. on my 2011 iMac 27, everything was fine, except. After few hours of sleep, well actually is the screen turn off, and when I wake it up, graphic was scattered around and with broken images, like I have a broken GPU.
My GPU was replaced few years back with a Quadro K5100M, and I was using Monterey since then and all was good until I updated to 12.7.4 and broke again. Then I decided to go to Sonoma. Few days with Sonoma and broken graphic problems after wakeup from sleep, I rolled back to Monterey 12.7.3.
I also tried Sonoma with 1.5.0n, same problem.

Vacusuck

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
Hello everyone. OCLP question: On a whim, I installed OCLP 1.4.3 on my mac Mini 3,1 running Mojave. Rebooted no problem, but I've lost all network connectivity. Even a wired ethernet connection is not recognized.

I think at this point, I'll have to create an installer for Sonoma from another mac to install it on the mini? I was also able to revert my root patches, but the mini of course runs super slow.

Just looking for some suggestions on how to proceed. It has 8G with about 64GB SSD space left.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Hello everyone. OCLP question: On a whim, I installed OCLP 1.4.3 on my mac Mini 3,1 running Mojave. Rebooted no problem, but I've lost all network connectivity. Even a wired ethernet connection is not recognized.

I think at this point, I'll have to create an installer for Sonoma from another mac to install it on the mini? I was also able to revert my root patches, but the mini of course runs super slow.

Just looking for some suggestions on how to proceed. It has 8G with about 64GB SSD space left.
Did you try a SMC reset ?

Reactions: K two

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009

Try to reapply root patches.

Reactions: K two

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
rMBP10,1 mid 2012 updated from macOS 14.4.1 + OCLP 1.5.0n to 14.5 beta 2 OTA, no issues so far, OCLP auto-prompted to reapply patches on first login.

Thanks @cab007 for leading the way on putting the beta 2 on this model, 14.4.1 was becoming tiresome with the fans running all the time when Safari was active. All seems quiet now.
Thanks for this hint. Appreciated.
Another rMBP10,1 mid 2012 updated from macOS 14.4.1 + OCLP 1.5.0n to 14.5 beta 2 OTA here.
Where there special tricks needed that your refer to? It seems fine off the bat..

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Thanks for this hint. Appreciated.
Another rMBP10,1 mid 2012 updated from macOS 14.4.1 + OCLP 1.5.0n to 14.5 beta 2 OTA here.
Where there special tricks needed that your refer to? It seems fine off the bat..
No special tricks were required. I try to avoid getting into complexities out here on the edge, so both the old config and the update were standard, with no tricks, manual activities or OCLP updates or overrides. Still going well here, but I've only tested the stuff I use routinely so far.

Reactions: K two and houser

Vacusuck

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
Try to reapply root patches.
I got this working. I made an installer from OCLP and booted the mini. Install failed for some unknown reason but on the second try, it actually updated my Mojave install to Sonoma. Since booted, now ethernet was recognized. WiFi was a bit fickle but it finally saw my networks. It didn't want to connect to home Wifi, but after forgetting it, it's fine now. It's not auto connecting on reboots but that's no big deal. I'm just shocked it runs as well as it does on a 15 year computer without Metal. Maps is all dark and I see the calculator 'Not A Number' bug. Not my main driver so I can live with all that.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I got this working. I made an installer from OCLP and booted the mini. Install failed for some unknown reason but on the second try, it actually updated my Mojave install to Sonoma. Since booted, now ethernet was recognized. WiFi was a bit fickle but it finally saw my networks. It didn't want to connect to home Wifi, but after forgetting it, it's fine now. It's not auto connecting on reboots but that's no big deal. I'm just shocked it runs as well as it does on a 15 year computer without Metal. Maps is all dark and I see the calculator 'Not A Number' bug. Not my main driver so I can live with all that.
Nice!

shmasser

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2023
Hello. I was able to build and launch a new version 1.5.0 on MacBook pro 2019. And on imac 2012, it does not start after the build. Here is such an error at startup

UPDATE: now it's working on iMac 2012 Late.
Could you tell more about imac 13.2:
1. Do live photos work?
2. How does the photo app work (face recognition and memories)?
3. Is it possible to import images into the Page application?

PropClear

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
Gerrmany

shmasser

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2023
It certainly makes sense to take a look at the supported models, restrictions are also listed. In general, it's worth reading up on them. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/MODELS.html
Thank you for your reaction. As far as I understand, the list at your link contains models that, in principle, can be downloaded and somehow work on these operating systems. And, of course, I keep an eye on this list.

However, some applications do not work correctly.
The main problems arise when some outdated drivers do not work correctly in a certain Mac model.

I am interested in the nuances of the operation of a specific video card and specific applications installed on my Mac that are important to me.

Therefore, I would like to get answers to my questions

natus.w

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2021
Thank you for your reaction. As far as I understand, the list at your link contains models that, in principle, can be downloaded and somehow work on these operating systems. And, of course, I keep an eye on this list.

The main problems arise when some outdated drivers do not work correctly in a certain Mac model.

I am interested in the nuances of the operation of a specific video card and specific applications installed on my Mac that are important to me.

You can refer to this page here for a list of potential issues you may encounter but I cannot say if all of the functionality you mentioned may be covered (you may want to get help here or on the Discord server if there are systematic issues..)

Reactions: shmasser

PropClear

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2023
Gerrmany

The best approach is then to install macOS Sonoma on an external SSD and test it from there - no big deal. In my opinion, this is the only way to make your individual assessment of the functions possible.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
img1.png

"Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Do a PRAM reset on power on and press alt/option to boot directly without OpenCore back into Ventura". This is the first I've seen of this; recent Monterey OTA update has resulted in oddities; I suppose it's too late now and a reinstall is the only option.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.