Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
This is related to the automatic updates of OCLP, I removed everything from OCLP myself, I even discovered that the kext responsible for offering updates for Big Sur > Monterey > Ventura > Sonoma (kind of obvious for those who have been working with kexts for a long time) is RestrictEvents. kext and removed it from my configuration and I recommend everyone do this, so you only update if you want to go from one system to another, this avoids those cases that people reported a while ago: I was in macOS Ventura and woke up with macOS Sonoma installed.

It would be great if you could share a small workflow to accomplish to get rid of these OLCP files you both mentioned.

When booting into macOS the OCLP updater stalls the full boot sequence post login screen.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@m4v3r1ck I think what you're looking for is discussed in This post. I don't disable/delete RestrictEvents.kext (I never experienced the unwanted macOS upgrade). If you do need to prevent the macOS upgrade facilitated by RestrictEvents.kext, you should be able to delete the revpatch=sbvmm NVRAM property from your OC config.plist. This change may affect other things, so experiment with your changes and confirm proper operation of your apps. Note that any customizations you make to the OC config.plist and to LaunchAgent/LaunchDaemon plists may be lost when you use OCLP again.

EDIT: Read more about RestrictEvents.kext here.

EDIT2: if this is TLDR, the OCLP plists you want to delete are in /Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/LaunchAgents. Understand that any changes you make will likely need to be performed again every time you use OCLP.

cab_007

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2020
Just applied macOS Sonoma Version 14.5 (Build 23F5064f), following post root patching (OCLP 1.5.0n), all good so far.
1713907834937.png

mib01

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
Installed Sonoma 14.4.1, with OCLP 1.4.3. on my 2011 iMac 27, everything was fine, except. After few hours of sleep, well actually is the screen turn off, and when I wake it up, graphic was scattered around and with broken images, like I have a broken GPU.
My GPU was replaced few years back with a Quadro K5100M, and I was using Monterey since then and all was good until I updated to 12.7.4 and broke again. Then I decided to go to Sonoma. Few days with Sonoma and broken graphic problems after wakeup from sleep, I rolled back to Monterey 12.7.3.
I also tried Sonoma with 1.5.0n, same problem.
I'm facing the same problem on MBP mid 2012 running 12.7.4 + OCLP 1.4.3, did going back one version from Monterey solve the problem?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
@m4v3r1ck I think what you're looking for is discussed in This post. I don't disable/delete RestrictEvents.kext (I never experienced the unwanted macOS upgrade). If you do need to prevent the macOS upgrade facilitated by RestrictEvents.kext, you should be able to delete the revpatch=sbvmm NVRAM property from your OC config.plist. This change may affect other things, so experiment with your changes and confirm proper operation of your apps. Note that any customizations you make to the OC config.plist and to LaunchAgent/LaunchDaemon plists may be lost when you use OCLP again.

EDIT: Read more about RestrictEvents.kext here.

EDIT2: if this is TLDR, the OCLP plists you want to delete are in /Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/LaunchAgents. Understand that any changes you make will likely need to be performed again every time you use OCLP.

Thank you for the reply and yes I was looking for the answer in EDIT2, appreciated. Before I start fiddling with these, I need to address yet another issue regarding bootpicker with unflashed Radeon RX 580 8GB. No more booting into macOS Venture / Monterey. Will make a post about that in the Ventura sub forum.

Last edited:

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
Reports of AdGuard not working on 14.5 beta 3 if that’s important to you also for those above that updated did you revert root patches ? I find my usb WiFi no longer works (shows connection in chris111 app ) but the Mac won’t use it had to download full installer all went fine on update from 145 beta 2 to beta 3 has anyone else tried usb WiFi ?

Reactions: K two and rehkram

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Reports of AdGuard not working on 14.5 beta 3 if that’s important to you also for those above that updated did you revert root patches ? I find my usb WiFi no longer works (shows connection in chris111 app ) but the Mac won’t use it had to download full installer all went fine on update from 145 beta 2 to beta 3 has anyone else tried usb WiFi ?
No usb wifi here sorry. I did not revert patches before updating, the rMBP10,1 came up with no graphic acceleration on first login, OCLP prompted to apply root patches, applied AOK. I surmise from that the update blew the previous ones away, i.e. so not a trivial OTT update this one.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Re-install the chris111 dongle s/w.:cool:

Reactions: TOM1211

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Anyone using a cMP 4,1>5,1 with OCLP 1.4.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 have an idea why the system crashes/freezes when display goes to sleep, and any advice on how to prevent this? Also happens when running W11Pro. At the moment I'm having to shut down my cMP to prevent these issues, which is not ideal as it's my main production 'puter - used for design, video editing, coding, emails and web browsing.

In Sonoma, I have set my logon and Apple ID to one of a default static icon (the archery target). I have my background set to a static photo with "Show on all Spaces is" set to on. The screensaver is set to "Message", with just the default setting (the name of my cMP) and "Show on all Spaces" set to on. Only one display (as per my sig) connected via DP, and I seldom use Spaces. Energy settings are set to prevent sleep when the display goes off, hard drives are not set to sleep, wake for network access is on, and to restart automatically in the event of a power failure. Crashes happen regardless of whether the computer screen is set to go to sleep or I turn the monitor off.

One indicator my cMP has crashed, other than the keyboard not responding when pressing the spacebar, is the keyboard caps lock (if it was on) is off, and it won't toggle back on if I press it. The cMP's power button LED is always showing on (and I can hear the fans quietly spinning) but I have to eventually hard reset by holding it down for 5 seconds. Another indicator is often the LEDs on the Logitech mouse are off (they're always-on when the cMP is running).

I am running RefindPlus (MyBootMgr 097) with the EFI>OC_EXT instance for Sonoma created from OCLP v1.4.3. The issues with waking after the monitor goes to sleep and/or putting the cMP to sleep is a fairly new thing - perhaps when I updated to OCLP 1.4.x.

I first reported the matter on post 5413, and having searched around can’t seem to find a solution or even confirm if it’s just my system or if others are having the same issue. The Apple error report often shows VTDecoderXPCService as being implicated. Suggestions sought, but solutions very welcomed.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Updated cMBP mid-2009 to 14.5b3 via OTA and nothing to report.

In case this may help others, I wasn't be able until now to build the OCLP app following by the book the nightly page (be it using python 3.10 or 3.11). I could launch the .command from the Developer/Patcher folder and update it and then root patch it afterwards (with a little hack but let's keep it short). But this time root patching wouldn't work (crash after providing the password), so I tried to solve the building error ("md__mypyc.cpython-31x-darwin.so is not a fat binary!"). It turns out that after a search the solution was relatively simple: edit requirements.txt and add a line "charset_normalizer<3.0" (issue #562 "Use older version of charset_normalizer to allow universal macOS binary to build" from github.com/machawk1/wail ). Now with the buit app I can update *and* root-patch 1.5.0n.

Attachments

• MBP5,2 @ 14.5b3.png
    MBP5,2 @ 14.5b3.png
    94 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Anyone using a cMP 4,1>5,1 with OCLP 1.4.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 have an idea why the system crashes/freezes when display goes to sleep, and any advice on how to prevent this? Also happens when running W11Pro. At the moment I'm having to shut down my cMP to prevent these issues, which is not ideal as it's my main production 'puter - used for design, video editing, coding, emails and web browsing.

In Sonoma, I have set my logon and Apple ID to one of a default static icon (the archery target). I have my background set to a static photo with "Show on all Spaces is" set to on. The screensaver is set to "Message", with just the default setting (the name of my cMP) and "Show on all Spaces" set to on. Only one display (as per my sig) connected via DP, and I seldom use Spaces. Energy settings are set to prevent sleep when the display goes off, hard drives are not set to sleep, wake for network access is on, and to restart automatically in the event of a power failure. Crashes happen regardless of whether the computer screen is set to go to sleep or I turn the monitor off.

One indicator my cMP has crashed, other than the keyboard not responding when pressing the spacebar, is the keyboard caps lock (if it was on) is off, and it won't toggle back on if I press it. The cMP's power button LED is always showing on (and I can hear the fans quietly spinning) but I have to eventually hard reset by holding it down for 5 seconds. Another indicator is often the LEDs on the Logitech mouse are off (they're always-on when the cMP is running).

I am running RefindPlus (MyBootMgr 097) with the EFI>OC_EXT instance for Sonoma created from OCLP v1.4.3. The issues with waking after the monitor goes to sleep and/or putting the cMP to sleep is a fairly new thing - perhaps when I updated to OCLP 1.4.x.

I first reported the matter on post 5413, and having searched around can’t seem to find a solution or even confirm if it’s just my system or if others are having the same issue. The Apple error report often shows VTDecoderXPCService as being implicated. Suggestions sought, but solutions very welcomed.
I would suggest you post on the OCLP Discord where the developers are active.

Reactions: K two
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.