Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
To all the newbies showing up recently, please read through this thread, and also read the Dortania documentation on OCLP. The signal to noise ratio on this thread is deteriorating rapidly.

Personally, I'm not prepared to answer questions from folks who a) have no idea what they're doing, b) have not researched this in the OCLP documentation and by reading and searching for answers already in this thread, and c) do not provide the model of Mac and macOS version they're running. Hint: put it in your signature.

The old timers here had to do it, so why shouldn't you?

Sorry about that, but really, you need to do your homework before asking questions. This is not the amateurish chaos that is Discord and we would like to keep it that way.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

I agree. Many of the question made here lastly only requires 2 minutes searching.

"If you don´t have time to read, then I don´t have time to answer"

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
I agree. Many of the question made here lastly only requires 2 minutes searching.

"If you don´t have time to read, then I don´t have time to answer"
I also started with dosdudes patcher at zero and others helped me patiently. It did help to check out the GitHub page first of course. But why shouldn't we help others even on a basic level? If you don't have the time to answer, then don't take the time to read?

Have you ever made a donation in order to use OCLP? If you did not, you could help growing the community, so others might send a few bucks to keep the project alive.
Obviously you guys have great skills and I can tell from your answers, so it should be a no brainer to provide quick and easy support to newbies.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronton3 and roronl

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I also started with dosdudes patcher at zero and others helped me patiently. It did help to check out the GitHub page first of course. But why shouldn't we help others even on a basic level? If you don't have the time to answer, then don't take the time to read?

Have you ever made a donation in order to use OCLP? If you did not, you could help growing the community, so others might send a few bucks to keep the project alive.
Obviously you guys have great skills and I can tell from your answers, so it should be a no brainer to provide quick and easy support to newbies.
That´s got nothing to see with the fact that you can find the answer to many, many questions made here lastly in less than a minute. And most of them simply reading first basic documentation. Just pure lazyness.

By the way, number 9.

Last edited:

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
In this case the firmware being mentioned here is your mac's EFI (bios in PC speak). To make sure you have the latest firmware is to install a copy of the latest officially supported version of macOS for your model of mac. After that grab a copy of SilentKnight to verify it's up to date. SlientKnight can be downloaded here: https://eclecticlight.co/lockrattler-systhist/
Original question was "From initial thread: 'Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Do a PRAM reset on power on and press alt/option to boot directly without OpenCore'... Does this mean that the "Install system data files and security updates" should not be left on "auto."

I have no interest in Firmware updates; this was a tangent from a question in response to my question - which I should have specified relates to both OCLP and supported OS updates. I've turned it off for both as the only meaningful advice I've seen anywhere is "turn off all auto updates" but as I had them on for months and no OCLP pop up appeared I'm reduced to guessing that one or more occurred and they may bypass OCLP and thus result in getting Security updates ASAP.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
iMac'd said: "I have no interest in Firmware updates"

We might have misunderstood you and you might not want your firmware updated, but for other users it might be useful to know that as gleaned from a few threads , OCLP is typically coded for the latest applicable firmware for each supported Mac so might not work as expected if the firmware is not up to date. Have seen that myself.
That can also be true at the same time as switching off auto-updates is a good idea so that OCLP stays in sync with whatever MacOS you are attempting to use until your are ready to manually update your OS as OCLP is ready and in turn updated for the new OS versions as they become available.
Ah well. FWIW, YMMV.

Reactions: paalb and rehkram

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
iMac'd said: "I have no interest in Firmware updates"

We might have misunderstood you and you might not want your firmware updated, but for other users it might be useful to know that as gleaned from a few threads , OCLP is typically coded for the latest applicable firmware for each supported Mac so might not work as expected if the firmware is not up to date. Have seen that myself.
That can also be true at the same time as switching off auto-updates is a good idea so that OCLP stays in sync with whatever MacOS you are attempting to use until your are ready to manually update your OS as OCLP is ready and in turn updated for the new OS versions as they become available.
Ah well. FWIW, YMMV.
It´s, simply, a nonsense. Macs HAS to to be always upadated to the latest firmware.

Last edited:

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
It´s, simply, a nonsense. Macs HAS to to be always upadated to the latest firmaware.
Not sure if you are saying what I wrote is nonsense or something else?
I myself started experimenting with a newer MacOS than (in my case) Catalina late 2020, before it was "finished with firmware updates" and so there were then firmware updates that I needed to go back to Cat to add to my rMBP after I started using a later OS (in my case Big Sur to begin with).
So it worked without the latest/last firmware update but there were glitches as I recall.
Ah well. That's why I wrote what I wrote and so there's that ;)

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
Apple seeded macOS 14.5 Beta 4 (23F5074a) to developers
Updated two machines to 14.5b4, using USB installer (in fact an extra partition on the resp. target SSD), and OCLP 1.5.0n from Apr 3rd in both cases.

MBP11,1:
(1) this time wifi networks didn't re-join by themselves. Forget then connect alone didn't help but switching wifi off, reboot, then back on did. This is not a recipe and probably isn't related to this beta, but I'm just experimenting without a theory until it works.
(2) for OTA updates, OCLP can (and does) intervene to remove unwanted kexts from /Library/Extensions before the update happens. For installation from USB installer, I guess it has no chance to intervene so it seems necessary to remove them manually what I did. Or else booting the installed system in safe mode also works. Note the KDK-less method is used for that machine.

MBP5,2:
(0) external keyboard+mouse connected while installing and before root patching (via USB3 expresscard in my case).
(1) wifi networks re-joined by themselves.
(2) the matching KDK is found and used during post-install root patching.

Both machines running as fine as expected (Photos problems known but not severe in my case).

Big thank you to OCLP developers!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-02 um 17.27.34.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-02 um 17.27.34.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-02 um 08.10.50.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-02 um 08.10.50.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Not sure if you are saying what I wrote is nonsense or something else?
I myself started experimenting with a newer MacOS than (in my case) Catalina late 2020, before it was "finished with firmware updates" and so there were then firmware updates that I needed to go back to Cat to add to my rMBP after I started using a later OS (in my case Big Sur to begin with).
So it worked without the latest/last firmware update but there were glitches as I recall.
Ah well. That's why I wrote what I wrote and so there's that ;)
Well, no one has to "go back" to a certain macOS, if going back meant downgrading your installation including all user data, settings etc. - which would be unsupported in most cases anyway.

What is advisable in case you have old (not-the-latest) firmware for your machine and want to catch up: Prepare a new install on a drive (i.e. external) with the OS that brings the firmware along (i.e. Mojave for Mac Pro 4,1 / 5,1 for FW 144.0.0.0). After the job is done, discard that drive and go back to your existing macOS on your internal boot drive.
Easy as that.
No real reason to not do so and enjoy prolonged OCLP support (along with benefits that came along, i.e. nVME and APFS boot capabilities).

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Well, no one has to "go back" to a certain macOS, if going back meant downgrading your installation including all user data, settings etc. - which would be unsupported in most cases anyway.
Thanks @Larsvonhier and I agree with all you write.
... and just to clarify: With "go back" I just meant temporarily boot into the older OS to get the latest firmware and then return to my current OS install with all apps and files untouched.

maksovnik

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2024
Hi people!

I've recently used OpenCore to update my Mac Pro 5,1 to Sonoma OS. Everything is running fine with a new RX580 GPU. I'm a bit worried that if I do any future system updates then it will all break. Is there anything specific I have to do or take into account with system updates such as repatching or rebuilding OpenCore or should I avoid updates all together?

I would appreciate some advice on this!
Thanks

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
read all of the release notes before applying any OS updates and opencore updates. That's the best way to keep your mac running. Follow Mr. Macintosh YT

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
Since unfortunately the same questions about the installation keep coming up again and again instead of first carefully reading this thread and the COMPLETE notes + information on the OCLP website AND the respective release notes of the OCLP version, here are the following notes from me again. This may help you to avoid "pain" 😉

OCLP Tip: HOW 2 Update/Upgrade macOS with OCLP

Since some of you are still having problems with Sonoma, here are my tips:
1. ❗️ (If u have only an iGPU and not a dGPU than) Better *NEVER use Memoji* as User Pic / iCloud User Pic with OCLP
👉🏻 ATTENTION❗️ iOS 17.1+ your Contact Photo in adress book sync to iCloud and so to your Login pic. 😱
*** So DON'T use Memoji there either❗️***
2. ❗️ *First install OCLP* (if upgrading i.e. macOS 13 ➡️ 14 ALWAYS❗️"Create macOS Installer")
 OR IF you're on macOS "Sonoma" then first❗️check if there's a NEW version of OCLP and install this *INCLUDING* new "Build and Install Opencore" to you start disk + check/install "Post-Install Root Patch"
3. Now you could use the system updater to get the latest macOS 14.x version – but better is to wait till OCLP developers push out a new OCLP patcher version that includes the corresponding macOS update.😉
4. ❗️ *Install the root patches* – in "secure boot mode" always the best

⚠️ 👉🏻Currently, it *seems to be safest to always perform the updates* - not just the upgrade to macOS Sonoma 14.x.x - *using the OCLP USB installer.* ⚠️

Hope this helps you! 👍🏻

PS:
*READ this infos from OCLP developers:*
Sonoma issues – https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/SONOMA-DROP.html#issues
Troubleshooting – https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/TROUBLESHOOTING.html
❗️WARNING macOS 14.4 + macOS 12.7.4/13.6.5 – https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases/tag/1.4.1

Further infos:
Please follow EXACTLY the corresponding step-by-step tutorial for macOS Sonoma or Ventura (video length approx. 30-60 min), which "Mr. Macintosh" explains on Youtube.
It is also worth watching the other videos on his channel - especially the latest videos!

JessiesFlying videos are also very helpful - especially when it comes to special cases and bugs.

You should also search for a solution in this macrumors-thread 👍🏻: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-14-sonoma-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2391630/

Last edited:

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
May the force be with you! 😉

1. Update OCLP to newest Beta
  2. "Build and Install OpenCore" to internal disk – reboot
  3. ran OCLP "Post-Install root patch" – reboot
  4. Update macOS 14.5 pb3 to pb4 OTA
  5. 4x PRAM reset by OCLP boot picker

Screenshot 2024-05-04 um 01.14.23.jpeg

BUT the App "About this Hack" shows wrong machine since update!?!
Issue by OCLP or About tis Hack? 🧐
tempImage80M6QC.png

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
It´s, simply, a nonsense. Macs HAS to to be always upadated to the latest firmware.
Obviously this format in MacRumours is not condusive to ongoing dialogues; my straightforward original question has morphed into dialogue about an irrelevant topic.

Original question was "From initial thread: 'Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Do a PRAM reset on power on and press alt/option to boot directly without OpenCore'... Does this mean that the "Install system data files and security updates" should not be left on "auto."

The only response was: Is the firmware up to date etc.? and I responded: "I have no interest in Firmware updates"; this was a tangent from a question in response to my question which I should have specified relates to both OCLP and supported OS updates. So in hindsight the question could have been: is whatever is downloaded via the "Install system data etc" "firmware" and thus shouldn't be auto updated.

My best guess for the answer currently is: No; but since no one has addressed it at all - I'll presume Yes and forgo timely security updates and get them with the next OS update.

Last edited:

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
@iMac'd There are software updates (what you're used to seeing) and also firmware updates (lower level software that directly controls hardware). Neither should be auto-updated when running OCLP in case there is an incompatibility between the update and OCLP. Best to wait until the developers (or other users) have verified nothing breaks before installing an update.

Software updates: macOS 14.4.1, security updates, etc
Firmware updates: machine dependent and only available when running a supported OS for that machine

SilentKnight is a good tool that will tell you about the latest software updates and also tell you if your firmware isn't running the latest version.

1714835150134.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.