Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Now installing 14.5b2 OTA over b1...
EDIT: installation finished all automatic. Closest-match KDK used in root patching is the one from b1. System running fine.

Oops, I've just realized I do have something to report: Wifi is broken on my MBP5,2 with 14.5b3, didn't notice as I was on ethernet lately so I can't tell if it's just b3 or already on b2, but apparently hvds above didn't have any issue on b2.

Have reverted the 1.5.0n root patch and reinstalled 1.4.3 and repatched (and resetted SMC) to no avail.

Is there anyone running b3 on some non-metal machine with Wifi working ?

• Wow
Reactions: K two

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
First question, is your firmware up to date?
Don't know what that means; I'm using OCLP Sonoma and it repeatedly shows that it's fully updated despite being on 14.4. Will prob. do a reinstall if the next update doesn't appear either. While looking into possible causes I noticed the "Install system data files and security updates" - but I've seen no mention of this in any OCLP area so in the absence of any info. have turned auto off.

Last edited:
Reactions: K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Oops, I've just realized I do have something to report: Wifi is broken on my MBP5,2 with 14.5b3, didn't notice as I was on ethernet lately so I can't tell if it's just b3 or already on b2, but apparently hvds above didn't have any issue on b2.

Have reverted the 1.5.0n root patch and reinstalled 1.4.3 and repatched (and resetted SMC) to no avail.

Is there anyone running b3 on some non-metal machine with Wifi working ?
Always read the docs before updating -

WARNING: Upgrading to 12.7.4, 13.6.5 or 14.4 may break Auto Joining WiFi Networks on legacy Wireless Cards​

To restore Auto-Join support, forget the network and re-add it.

EDIT:"apparently hvds above didn't have any issue on b2." Likely because @hvds knows what he is doing.😇

Last edited:

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014

WARNING: Upgrading to 12.7.4, 13.6.5 or 14.4 may break Auto Joining WiFi Networks on legacy Wireless Cards​

EDIT:"apparently hvds above didn't have any issue on b2." Likely because @hvds knows what he is doing.😇

Thanks K2 for your warning. I understand your reaction but actually wi-fi was working perfectly Ok on 14.x (and before) over many OTAs up to 14.4.1. There was a moment were auto-joining wouldn't work after the update but it was solved easily, and actually wi-fi itself was not broken.
FWIW, my current issue stems after @hvds upgraded to 14.5b2 with a very similar machine to mine (MBP5,2) with declaredly no issues. It teased me to do it, had no visible issues also but didn't check the wifi, so I don't know if it broke with b2 or b3. But, yes, I decided to go b3 "alone" on my cMBP, hence my question.
This won't be a big problem for me except the pain that I'll have to reinstall 14.4.1 from scratch and import the TM backup... And probably calm me down from updating (unnecessarily) to bleeding edge OS/OCLP versions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: K two and m4v3r1ck

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Thanks K2 for your warning. I understand your reaction but actually wi-fi was working perfectly Ok on 14.x (and before) over many OTAs up to 14.4.1. There was a moment were auto-joining wouldn't work after the update but it was solved easily, and actually wi-fi itself was not broken.
FWIW, my current issue stems after @hvds upgraded to 14.5b2 with a very similar machine to mine (MBP5,2) with declaredly no issues. It teased me to do it, had no visible issues also but didn't check the wifi, so I don't know if it broke with b2 or b3. But, yes, I decided to go b3 "alone" on my cMBP, hence my question.
This won't be a big problem for me except the pain that I'll have to reinstall 14.4.1 from scratch and import the TM backup... And probably calm me down from updating (unnecessarily) to bleeding edge OS/OCLP versions :)
Did you try 'forgetting' the wifi network and rejoining it, as suggested?

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Did you try 'forgetting' the wifi network and rejoining it, as suggested?
Tx for the suggestion, I guess i was not clear about "broken" wifi, I mean it's not a question of (auto) joining or forgetting, first there are no networks found/displayed. I can still "disable/enable" the wifi slide-button on the top bar, but even then the slide-button in the System Settings is greyed-out and unresponsive.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
First question, is your firmware up to date?
I don't know what a firmware update is; presumably part of normal updates or under the title of what I was enquiring about; either way not likely relevant to the question. I've turned the "Install system data files and security updates" off as it looks unlikely that anyone here or on other sites is likely to respond; it does mean that rapid security updates will be delayed.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I don't know what a firmware update is; presumably part of normal updates or under the title of what I was enquiring about; either way not likely relevant to the question. I've turned the "Install system data files and security updates" off as it looks unlikely that anyone here or on other sites is likely to respond; it does mean that rapid security updates will be delayed.
In this case the firmware being mentioned here is your mac's EFI (bios in PC speak). To make sure you have the latest firmware is to install a copy of the latest officially supported version of macOS for your model of mac. After that grab a copy of SilentKnight to verify it's up to date. SlientKnight can be downloaded here: https://eclecticlight.co/lockrattler-systhist/

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Install Silent Knight and run it. It will check for updates and tell you if your EFI version/firmware is up to date.
If not up to date, easiest way to update it is to run your last supported Mac OS. It should update it for you.
Good luck. YMMV. Have backups. etc..

parken

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
Install Silent Knight and run it. It will check for updates and tell you if your EFI version/firmware is up to date.
If not up to date, easiest way to update it is to run your last supported Mac OS. It should update it for you.
Good luck. YMMV. Have backups. etc..
...also carefully read the first post of this thread:

Reactions: houser

Nimpoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
I've successfully installed 14.4.1 and it's working very, very well with the exception of Photos not indexing, finding faces, and crashing when opening Portrait images. For me, upgrading Photos is a primary driver to update the OS so I can see all the lovely images from my new phone.

Primary issue:
While trying to enable logging through the use of the "Build and Install OpenCore" tool within the OCLP 1.4.3 app, I am no longer able to see my local disk...

I've restarted. I've successfully reran the "Root Patching" function. I used Terminal and launched the OCLP.app with sudo...
I can't seem to repatch my boot disk to get the logs to try and help identify the issues with Photos.

Any suggestions?

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
System Firmware Version: 489.0.0.0.0
OS Loader Version: 580~1678
SMC Version (system): 2.30f2
System Version: macOS 14.4.1 (23E224)
Kernel Version: Darwin 23.4.0

AMD Radeon R9 M370X:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M370X
VRAM (Total): 2 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6821
Revision ID: 0x0083
ROM Revision: 113-C5670E-945
VBIOS Version: 113-C567A1-006
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.945
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 4.0.20 [3.2.8]
Metal Support: Metal 2
Displays:
LG Ultra HD:
Resolution: 6016 x 3384
UI Looks like: 3008 x 1692 @ 60.00Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: Thunderbolt/DisplayPort

Intel Iris Pro:
Chipset Model: Intel Iris Pro
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x0d26
Revision ID: 0x0008
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 4.0.20 [3.2.8]
Metal Support: Metal 2

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Tx all, but never mind, I've booted from my Catalina install and the problem is also there, seems like a hardware or maybe a severe corruption (after all it seems quite a coincidence that this occurred just when I updated to 14.5 b2/b3). Sorry for the noise generated.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009

You never said this before. Right? 🙄

olrik77

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
France
Good evening from France,

My MacBook 10,1 is running Sonoma...fine...but :

-I wonder if the Mikola Grimaliuk and Open Core-patcher extensions in "opening elements" are safe.
-I place the Open Core-Patcher app. in my application folder : right or wrong ?
-When rebooting, I have for an instant (less than a second), a "boot windows" appearing.

Have you some explanation about that ?

Many thanks in advance,

Serviteur,

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
-I place the Open Core-Patcher app. in my application folder : right or wrong ?
It might still still work but is wrong. When you run the root patcher from wherever it will copy your app to:
Library/Application Support/Dortania
and create an alias for it in the application folder. That is the intended behaviour.
As for the security issues this is a good place to ask about it but is off-topic here.

Last edited:

remdiv

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024

IntelliJ Idea 2023.2.2 crashes @ iMac14,2 | OCLP 1.0.1 | macOS 14.0 Sonoma​

I pressed the update button in control center yesterday more or less by accident (wanted to upgrade to latest Ventura actually); I don't regret it as I wanted anyhow to upgrade in the upcoming days. Now I'm facing an issue where I cannot open intelliJ Idea anymore, which crashes after a few seconds. I suspect it has to do with Metal rendering, I try to upload the crash report log. Same version was working fine under Ventura and Monterey (residing on a different partition).

Thanks for hints or sharing your experiences!
Joachim

x-post -> https://discord.com/channels/417165963327176704/1160525006573408296
hey, having the same issue. did you have any joy?
thanks

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
It might still still work but is wrong. When you run the root patcher from wherever it will copy your app to:
Application Support/Dortania
and create an alias for it in the application folder. That is the intended behaviour.
As for the security issues this is a good place to ask about it but is off-topic here.
In fact is /Library/Application Support/Dortania

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
To all the newbies showing up recently, please read through this thread, and also read the Dortania documentation on OCLP. The signal to noise ratio on this thread is deteriorating rapidly.

Personally, I'm not prepared to answer questions from folks who a) have no idea what they're doing, b) have not researched this in the OCLP documentation and by reading and searching for answers already in this thread, and c) do not provide the model of Mac and macOS version they're running. Hint: put it in your signature.

The old timers here had to do it, so why shouldn't you?

Sorry about that, but really, you need to do your homework before asking questions. This is not the amateurish chaos that is Discord and we would like to keep it that way.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Last edited:

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
This one is delicate.

Installation no go on this 6,2.
Stuck in safe mode. Wired Apple keyboard not recognised.

Verbose mode: passed, but progress bar hangs in the last third before switching to desktop.

Normal boot: no go.

KDK and OCLP were updated beforehand.

Edit: After multiple tries to boot into safe mode, I now was able to enter password.

Installation: About 4 min remaining.

Edit 2: after numerous times rebooting and a few cups of coffee I was able to boot into safe mode again. However, at this point I’m not able to re-launch OCLP patcher with admin rights in order to apply patches. Cause: It doesn’t pass the security check.
Solution: In order to approve, open system settings, open security and approve manually.

However, OCLP can’t restart with admin rights. Password not accepted.
I have seen this multiple times beforehand, the prompt where the password is accepted looks a bit different and it’s called something like OSA script.
I have not figured out how to bring it up on purpose.

As of now: the machine is up and running with the latest beta4 in safe mode. Its not possible to apply patches due to granting admin rights issue in OCLP.

Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I've noticed that since Sonoma 14.4 the focus modes no longer synchronize 100% with the iPhone and Apple Watch. Sometimes activating or deactivating a focus mode on the iPhone and Watch also syncs on the Mac, but sometimes not. I've noticed that this happens more often with the sleeping focus mode. It simply doesn't deactivate on the Mac after deactivating it on the iPhone and Watch when I wake up. Does anyone know if this is an OCLP 1.4.2 issue or a Sonoma issue in general? Does this happen to anyone else?
Just stumbled upon your post. Same problem here since Sonoma 14.4 on a "normal" iMac (no OCLP).
Problem persists in 14.4.1.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
In this case the firmware being mentioned here is your mac's EFI (bios in PC speak). To make sure you have the latest firmware is to install a copy of the latest officially supported version of macOS for your model of mac. After that grab a copy of SilentKnight to verify it's up to date. SlientKnight can be downloaded here: https://eclecticlight.co/lockrattler-systhist/
...also carefully read the first post of this thread:
Original question was "From initial thread: 'Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Do a PRAM reset on power on and press alt/option to boot directly without OpenCore'... Does this mean that the "Install system data files and security updates" should not be left on "auto." I have no interest in Firmware updates; this was a tangent from a question in response to my question which I should have specified relates to both OCLP and supported OS updates. I've turned it off for both as the only meaningful advice I've seen anywhere is "turn off all auto updates" but as I had them on for months and no OCLP pop up appeared I'm reduced to guessing that one or more occurred and they may bypass OCLP and thus result in getting Security updates ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.