Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

eSaF-Eddie

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 05.30.27.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 05.30.27.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 52

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
That's my question...
Did you try to open it again ? The first time I also had nothing displayed (monitor, storage), maybe it took some time to gather the info or just to display it, but now it shows. So maybe it's just about waiting a bit as the app is probably not very optimized.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I would suggest you post on the OCLP Discord where the developers are active.
Thanks for replying, but I'm hoping someone can confirm this is expected/common behaviour or not - don't want to waste time on OCLP Discord server if it's not already identified as a common issue with cMP users. If there are others without this issue, I can start to problem solve with them first.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Thanks for replying, but I'm hoping someone can confirm this is expected/common behaviour or not - don't want to waste time on OCLP Discord server if it's not already identified as a common issue with cMP users. If there are others without this issue, I can start to problem solve with them first.
I suggested the Discord because I never had those issues either with a RX580 or a Vega 56 nor did I see anyone have those issues.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
In case this may help others, I wasn't be able until now to build the OCLP app following by the book the nightly page (be it using python 3.10 or 3.11)
FWIW also an attempt to help others: If there are no new commits here then there is probably not much point in building yourself. The date from the "Build and run from source" page is historically the same as the latest commits date.
Might save some people some time and efforts. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpbb and rehkram

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Did you try to open it again ? The first time I also had nothing displayed (monitor, storage), maybe it took some time to gather the info or just to display it, but now it shows. So maybe it's just about waiting a bit as the app is probably not very optimized.
Like you said, there is no display first time, now it shows, but until now there is no storage evne I open it a lot of times.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
14.5 beta 3, rMBP10,1, OCLP 1.5.0n I'm getting crashes in Safari when a) using the command key in a KB shortcut and b) using the backspace delete key. Magic KB 2.

My memory is vague on this but I seem to remember that for an earlier version of macOS when this was happening there was an OCLP setting that remedied a similar problem. Anyone remember what it was?

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
14.5 beta 3, rMBP10,1, OCLP 1.5.0n I'm getting crashes in Safari when a) using the command key in a KB shortcut and b) using the backspace delete key.
Have you tried just rebuilding the OCLP EFI and restarting?
I have unscientific clues that sometimes this is needed/helps with such issues.

Reactions: rehkram

mib01

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
Anyone using a cMP 4,1>5,1 with OCLP 1.4.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 have an idea why the system crashes/freezes when display goes to sleep, and any advice on how to prevent this? Also happens when running W11Pro. At the moment I'm having to shut down my cMP to prevent these issues, which is not ideal as it's my main production 'puter - used for design, video editing, coding, emails and web browsing.

In Sonoma, I have set my logon and Apple ID to one of a default static icon (the archery target). I have my background set to a static photo with "Show on all Spaces is" set to on. The screensaver is set to "Message", with just the default setting (the name of my cMP) and "Show on all Spaces" set to on. Only one display (as per my sig) connected via DP, and I seldom use Spaces. Energy settings are set to prevent sleep when the display goes off, hard drives are not set to sleep, wake for network access is on, and to restart automatically in the event of a power failure. Crashes happen regardless of whether the computer screen is set to go to sleep or I turn the monitor off.

One indicator my cMP has crashed, other than the keyboard not responding when pressing the spacebar, is the keyboard caps lock (if it was on) is off, and it won't toggle back on if I press it. The cMP's power button LED is always showing on (and I can hear the fans quietly spinning) but I have to eventually hard reset by holding it down for 5 seconds. Another indicator is often the LEDs on the Logitech mouse are off (they're always-on when the cMP is running).

I am running RefindPlus (MyBootMgr 097) with the EFI>OC_EXT instance for Sonoma created from OCLP v1.4.3. The issues with waking after the monitor goes to sleep and/or putting the cMP to sleep is a fairly new thing - perhaps when I updated to OCLP 1.4.x.

I first reported the matter on post 5413, and having searched around can’t seem to find a solution or even confirm if it’s just my system or if others are having the same issue. The Apple error report often shows VTDecoderXPCService as being implicated. Suggestions sought, but solutions very welcomed.
I had the same problem, I downgraded to 14.3.1 and it fixed the problem, I continue using OCLP 1.4.3. This freezing problem when waking up is also affecting the latest version of Monterey.

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
Anyone using a cMP 4,1>5,1 with OCLP 1.4.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 have an idea why the system crashes/freezes when display goes to sleep, and any advice on how to prevent this? Also happens when running W11Pro. At the moment I'm having to shut down my cMP to prevent these issues, which is not ideal as it's my main production 'puter - used for design, video editing, coding, emails and web browsing.

In Sonoma, I have set my logon and Apple ID to one of a default static icon (the archery target). I have my background set to a static photo with "Show on all Spaces is" set to on. The screensaver is set to "Message", with just the default setting (the name of my cMP) and "Show on all Spaces" set to on. Only one display (as per my sig) connected via DP, and I seldom use Spaces. Energy settings are set to prevent sleep when the display goes off, hard drives are not set to sleep, wake for network access is on, and to restart automatically in the event of a power failure. Crashes happen regardless of whether the computer screen is set to go to sleep or I turn the monitor off.

One indicator my cMP has crashed, other than the keyboard not responding when pressing the spacebar, is the keyboard caps lock (if it was on) is off, and it won't toggle back on if I press it. The cMP's power button LED is always showing on (and I can hear the fans quietly spinning) but I have to eventually hard reset by holding it down for 5 seconds. Another indicator is often the LEDs on the Logitech mouse are off (they're always-on when the cMP is running).

I am running RefindPlus (MyBootMgr 097) with the EFI>OC_EXT instance for Sonoma created from OCLP v1.4.3. The issues with waking after the monitor goes to sleep and/or putting the cMP to sleep is a fairly new thing - perhaps when I updated to OCLP 1.4.x.

I first reported the matter on post 5413, and having searched around can’t seem to find a solution or even confirm if it’s just my system or if others are having the same issue. The Apple error report often shows VTDecoderXPCService as being implicated. Suggestions sought, but solutions very welcomed.
I can not help you directly, since I have not upgraded to Sonoma yet, but I had some of the same symptoms. See https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/post-30778340

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
From initial thread: "Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Do a PRAM reset on power on and press alt/option to boot directly without OpenCore"... Does this mean that the "Install system data files and security updates" should not be left on "auto"; mine was and in months I never got a pop up to do patching so either there were none; they somehow avoid the normal update patching process or happen and incrementally introduce instability.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
From initial thread: "Note that when booting a supported OS to get firmware updates it must not be booted via OpenCore. Do a PRAM reset on power on and press alt/option to boot directly without OpenCore"... Does this mean that the "Install system data files and security updates" should not be left on "auto"; mine was and in months I never got a pop up to do patching so either there were none; they somehow avoid the normal update patching process or happen and incrementally introduce instability.
First question, is your firmware up to date?

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
If it comes back, try changing in OCLP Settings->Advanced->FeatureUnlock from Enabled to Partial, rebuild and reinstall EFI and reboot.

This seemed to help when we were running into this before. Has not been happening for a while for me, thankfully.
Thanks for this tip that I was unaware of. Curious about this, as I have the same Mac as @rehkram . I am not seeing this issue now but have seen it many times in the past with other versions of MacOS and OCLP and would like to know if there is a downside to using this setting if it becomes needed again. The setting is now set by OCLP to "Enabled" on my rMBP 10,1 mid 2012 that has Sonoma 14.5 beta 3 (23F5064f) + OCLP 1.5.0n (4/3/24)

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.