Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
rMBP10,1 wired ethernet connection via Thunderbolt 2 dongle -> CAT6 cable -> switch -> router currently not connecting. It appears as an unconnected option in Sys Settings but doesn't connect.

My other, supported, desktop MM8,1 is working going through the same switch. Specs are in my spoiler signature below.

Anyone have any insight? I've tried a few things like turning off WiFi, unplugging & replugging etc

Last edited:

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
rMBP10,1 wired ethernet connection via Thunderbolt 2 dongle -> CAT6 cable -> switch -> router currently not connecting. It appears as a an unconnected option in Sys Settings but doesn't connect.

My other, supported, desktop MM8,1 is working going through the same switch. Specs are in my spoiler signature below.

Anyone have any insight? I've tried a few things like turning off WiFi, unplugging & replugging etc
I have the same Mac and an Apple thunderbolt Ethernet adapter is working fine with
Sonoma 14.5 beta 2 (23F5059e) + OCLP 1.5.0n 4/3/24
FWIW

Reactions: rehkram

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
rMBP10,1 wired ethernet connection via Thunderbolt 2 dongle -> CAT6 cable -> switch -> router currently not connecting. It appears as an unconnected option in Sys Settings but doesn't connect.

Odd. Try delete that connection and recreate again.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
H264ify should be forcing everything through the that protocol, so this is definitely what should be happening..

Are the options set to block AV1? (that box IIRC is ticked by default)

It's AVC1 which is h264, not AV1, so I think it's working

I just checked what Brave is playing when it's able to play 4K, that's actually doing VP9, my CPU spikes when the IGP is on and the R9 is going full bore when that's on

Edit: Ok, so if I use H264ify on Brave, 4K goes away. So that isn't actually helping. I guess Youtube serves 4K over VP9, and Safari and other browsers don't enable that as it's running through software? Safari doesn't have the H264ify extension so that wasn't the issue in the first place

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
Yes, I meant the problem is with external GPU's over the Thunderbolt 2 interface. As far as I can tell, it was broken as of Ventura 13.2 and then the Kryptonite developer moved on.
In his defense, Mayankk2308 tried, posting:

"I'm here to grant the necessary rights and make any patches I created available for general use" and "Feel free to incorporate the above patches wherever you desire and if you deem it worth at you discretion". He posted that and OCLP creator Khronokernel replied "I'd be interested in working on this as well". Sounded promising but last we heard.

Could always shoot Mayankk2308 an email?

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Odd. Try delete that connection and recreate again.
OK I tried that, deleted- and recreated the service entry in sys settings - network. I expected the TB adapter to be detected automatically but it did not appear. Tried a few things, rebooting etc. Researching on the web, got a few hits, some of them are pretty old though.

Reactions: trifero

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Asked in Feb: Curious if anyone is successfully using Screen Mirroring to Apple TV 4K on this Mac?
Just happy to report that screen mirroring to a 4K Apple TV appears to now work with the latest Sonoma 14.5 beta 2 (23F5059e) + OCLP 1.5.0n 4/3/24. Don't know if the fix is in the Sonoma beta (probably) or OCLP. Great regardless!
It just keeps getting better this thing ;) Until it won't I guess ;)
This was the only thing that I really wanted and like to use regularly that was not working on this rMBP 10,1 mid 2012.
And the fans are running noticeably less. Very happy. Thanks Devs!

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
OK I tried that, deleted- and recreated the service entry in sys settings - network. I expected the TB adapter to be detected automatically but it did not appear. Tried a few things, rebooting etc. Researching on the web, got a few hits, some of them are pretty old though.
I think I've got some corruption in a network-related .plist or something, somewhere, that's causing whatever process that detects the TB ethernet adapter to fail. So I would categorize this problem as data corruption and inadequate software fault tolerance, i.e. it's probably not hardware related. I've had this rMBP since 2012, I'm only surprised it hasn't happened before.

Rather than try and figure out which data entities is/are corrupted I've decided to stick with 14.5 beta 2 until macOS 14.5 is in public release. I'll then nuke the disk and do a clean install of 14.5 from a USB installer.

I can continue on with WiFi until then; while ethernet would be a tad faster/smoother it's really not a big deal. I find 14.5 beta 2 to be an improvement over 14.4.1's continual fan noise when Safari was active.

Also I should state that I don't think OCLP has anything to do with this problem. There are multiple accounts of this happening going way back to the mid-2010's

Last edited:
Reactions: hvds

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
I think I've got some corruption in a network-related .plist or something, somewhere, that's causing whatever process that detects the TB ethernet adapter to fail. So I would categorize this problem as data corruption and inadequate software fault tolerance, i.e. it's probably not hardware related. I've had this rMBP since 2012, I'm only surprised it hasn't happened before.

Rather than try and figure out which data entities is/are corrupted I've decided to stick with 14.5 beta 2 until macOS 14.5 is in public release. I'll then nuke the disk and do a clean install of 14.5 from a USB installer.

I can continue on with WiFi until then; while ethernet would be a tad faster/smoother it's really not a big deal. I find 14.5 beta 2 to be an improvement over 14.4.1's continual fan noise when Safari was active.

Also I should state that I don't think OCLP has anything to do with this problem. There are multiple accounts of this happening going way back to the mid-2010's
Good idea.
But just for completeness, I had Ethernet cable connection problems here, manifestly on my 2009 MBP5,2 (on-board Ethernet plug) and occasionally on my 2013 MBP11,1 (which uses a Thunderbolt adapter). I guess due to the cabling between router and wall outlet which I can't access.
What helped in both cases was to do some hardware setting manually as in the attached screenshot.
Sorry if this is too simple to cover your case...

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-22 um 14.47.51.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-22 um 14.47.51.png
    727.5 KB · Views: 36

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Was going to try that but after I removed its service entry via Sys Settings > Ethernet > Manage Services, 'Thunderbolt Ethernet' disappeared and refuses to come back! :)

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
I think I've got some corruption in a network-related .plist or something, somewhere, that's causing whatever process that detects the TB ethernet adapter to fail.
I have fixed this in the past by deleting the network related plists in this folder (They have network as part of their name: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
(Or you can rename the .plist files to .plist.backup if trashing them makes you nervous.)
Restart at once after removing/renaming. All the files in this folder will if all is well with the hardware, be remade at startup.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
At least now we know that the reason was that simply the ethernet adapter was not there. Can you tell me what model is it and what model of mac is connected? Also you could try boot from a fresh macOS install usb. Once booted, see if the ethernet adapter is recognized.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
At least now we know that the reason was that simply the ethernet adapter was not there. Can you tell me what model is it and what model of mac is connected? Also you could try boot from a fresh macOS install usb. Once booted, see if the ethernet adapter is recognized.
rMBP10,1 mid-2012. Adapter is Apple branded TB2 to ethernet which has never failed since I bought it in 2012. After some research I'm pretty sure the failure is on the macOS software side so I'm not going to mess with it further because it clearly needs a clean install, which I'll do when 14.5 goes public.

Since this is not an OCLP issue I'd suggest it's off topic. ;)

Last edited:

jackyu

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
there are two backdoor in opencore-patch;
should turn it off at setting;
截屏2024-04-23 10.33.07.png

Attachments

• 截屏2024-04-23 10.33.07.png
    截屏2024-04-23 10.33.07.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Wow
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
View attachment 2370998
”Mykola Grymaluk” is the developer of OCLP, so I don’t know why you’re scared of that one (that
particular binary is related to the auto patcher, you will need this for the program to function)

The other program is also needed for the patcher to function, I wouldn’t touch any of that behest you cannot make the app function properly if adjustments need to be made to your config..

Reactions: trifero

architect1337

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Bit of an annoying one. Just updated my iMac 2015 from 1.4.1 (working fine) to 1.4.3. Installed root patches (Intel Broadcom and Wireless) and rebooted. System now hangs at early boot. Won't boot into Safe Mode, so went into recovery mode, blessed the drive with last snapshot, removed two kexts and system then boots.

Seems to be an issue with these kexts. I tried copying 1.4.1 and asset package onto a USB drive, launch Patcher from USB drive, update efi but how do I get the launch Patcher to use the 'asset.pkg' installed from the USB drive; it seems to grab the one installed via the 1.4.3 install (installed on HD)

natus.w

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2021
It's AVC1 which is h264, not AV1, so I think it's working

I just checked what Brave is playing when it's able to play 4K, that's actually doing VP9, my CPU spikes when the IGP is on and the R9 is going full bore when that's on

Edit: Ok, so if I use H264ify on Brave, 4K goes away. So that isn't actually helping. I guess Youtube serves 4K over VP9, and Safari and other browsers don't enable that as it's running through software? Safari doesn't have the H264ify extension so that wasn't the issue in the first place
Yes, you are right (I believe for some UHD content it’s VP9 or AV1, 1080p and downwards will have the option for H264/AVC1)

Kevo

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Bit of an annoying one. Just updated my iMac 2015 from 1.4.1 (working fine) to 1.4.3. Installed root patches (Intel Broadcom and Wireless) and rebooted. System now hangs at early boot. Won't boot into Safe Mode, so went into recovery mode, blessed the drive with last snapshot, removed two kexts and system then boots.

Seems to be an issue with these kexts. I tried copying 1.4.1 and asset package onto a USB drive, launch Patcher from USB drive, update efi but how do I get the launch Patcher to use the 'asset.pkg' installed from the USB drive; it seems to grab the one installed via the 1.4.3 install (installed on HD)
I have an iMac 16,2 (late 2015) that also has boot problems after the upgrade. I went from Ventura and 0.6.7 IIRC to 1.4.3. With our iMac though, it will boot after 2 or 3 attempts, usually 3. Haven't been able to figure out the cause, but we just hard reset it a couple more times and it boots and runs fine. I wonder if yours would do the same if you reset it a couple of times in a row.

I could try going back to 1.4.1, but it is running the latest Sonoma now so I guess I'd need to check and see if a downgrade would be needed or not.

architect1337

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I did go back to 1.4.1 but it's still the same. I don't know where 1.4.1 get's it's kexts from though, as the model iMac needs wifi drivers (16,2), so is using a local copy of OpenCore - but where does it get it from - is it bundled with the patcher or was it downloaded when I did the initial 1.4.3 update and is now hidden and being used because 1.4.1 can't get to the internet. Will let people know about the hard reboot.

Done it 6 times now and no good. I can select the EFI, select the OS drive and then goes black. Remove the two 'kext's' from /Library/Extensions and boots right back up again without drivers.

I did try to remove Post Install patches. using the GUI, in case it did something different, then reboot, then reinstall - but no good - hangs again right after selecting the boot drive.

**UPDATE** So I managed to find an ethernet cable, started the process again (via 1.4.1) and it worked this time. Leaving it alone for now (not going to 1.4.3).

Last edited:

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
View attachment 2370998

This is related to the automatic updates of OCLP, I removed everything from OCLP myself, I even discovered that the kext responsible for offering updates for Big Sur > Monterey > Ventura > Sonoma (kind of obvious for those who have been working with kexts for a long time) is RestrictEvents. kext and removed it from my configuration and I recommend everyone do this, so you only update if you want to go from one system to another, this avoids those cases that people reported a while ago: I was in macOS Ventura and woke up with macOS Sonoma installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.