Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will debut a major revamp of the Calculator app in macOS 15 later this year, according to AppleInsider.

macOS-15-Feature.jpg

The overhauled version of the Calculator app for Mac will reportedly feature:

• An enhanced unit conversion system located in the main user interface, including for currency conversion with up-to-date exchange rates.
  • "Math Notes" to allow the Notes app to communicate with the Calculator app in mathematical notation, also coming to iOS 18.
  • A history tape in the sidebar to show previous calculations, likely accessible via a dedicated button on the top left, which also provides options to toggle between all three calculator views: Basic, scientific, and programmer.
  • Adjustable window size across all three calculator views, with buttons that enlarge and change shape as needed.

The redesigned app will apparently offer a new design inspired by its iPhone counterpart in iOS 18, featuring rounded buttons. macOS 15 is almost certain to be previewed alongside iOS 18 and Apple's other major software updates at WWDC on June 10, followed by official release in the fall.

Article Link: macOS 15 Rumored to Feature Revamped Calculator App

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
It's like let's redo the calculator app while there's so many other more important bugs to fix like the reminders app, the capability to lock multi-task windows so we don't accidentally swipe them away, the private-relay feature that ALWAYS screws up internet connectivity, and of course Siri shaming us for being lazy by saying "I can send results to your iPhone" instead of just telling us an answer.

SABunting

Suspended
Apr 17, 2024
If you use Spotlight, its conversion functions pretty much support everything.
View attachment 2369821 View attachment 2369822
This is by far one of my favourite macOS features. Unit conversions, but even currencies etc. So quick! And for a while, it stays on the spotlight text entry bar. I try this daily on Windows 10 / 11 at work, and I find myself frustrated by how it disappears when 'Start' is closed, and I have to force it with an '=' to get it to register as a sum, and wait for Bing to load like a web browser. We're far from the days of Bertron Serlet mocking Windows at WWDC (sadly), but the Mac still beats it in pure intuitiveness in day to day use!

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Huh? Seriously, is this report representative of all they have to offer to upgrade this essential app? I use a calculator probably more than I use email. If this is all we get with an update to calculator we should seriously consider if Apple has any talent left in the company to understand their customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.