Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Hopefully it's coming to the Mac as a Catalyst app, which would mean they're finally making an iPad calculator!

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
That desk setup is nice and tidy… but isnt the monitor a little too high for ergonomic use 🧐

The top of the monitor should ideally be at eye height… but looks way higher 🤔

Reactions: klasma

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Since the iPad does not have a calculator, I bought PCalc years ago (onetime $9.99), runs on phone, watch, iPad, Mac. Family sharing means wife can use it to. Tons of themes, conversions (BTU's to KWH or Polish Zlotys to New Zealand Dollars for example), constants, layouts, complex numbers. Has a tape function, layouts galore, keyboard customization, hand off between Apple devices, and is scriptable. More than I could ever use in a calculator.

Apple needs <insert standard Siri Rant>, better tables in notes and a real application for iCloud Keychain. A better calculator does not move the needle.

iPay

Suspended
May 25, 2023
Nice! And with the new M4 chip the calculator app will feel snappier than ever.
- Hey TAFKAS [The App Formerly Known As Siri], how much is 2 + 2 ?
- it depends. Some people generally consider 2 + 2 can vary in value depending on the context and variables involved in the situation. However, when delving deeper into mathematical theory, one can explore the concept of addition as a fundamental operation that represents the combination of two values to find the total quantity. Also, terms and conditions may apply. These terms and conditions create a contract between you and Apple (the “Agreement”). Please read the Agreement carefully. [...]

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2024
Yay! Great News!

It always amazed me how in OS's Today/Notifications the Calculator App would be there and show up. So I would start entering numerals into it; the other widgets like Weather, Calendar, etc would still be loading up and Calculator would lose its position while things loaded! so I'd click a digit or +,-,/,* or = and it would've already moved away!

So I noticed on Sonoma, which handles widgets different, it was just gone from the widgets! I was pretty bummed I couldn't ad it to my widgets bar or desktop. But relieved to find the old boy in my installed Apps.

(if you don't care about this news, you're not a Mac users, you're just a casual.) 🤓😆

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Two weeks later:

MacOS 15.0.1:

Fixes a bug where Thunderbolt hubs connected to external displays may terminate the app unexpectedly, while causing bluetooth connectivity issues, preventing sleep, when recieving a Message with one of the following emoji: 💩🦄🍋.

• Haha
Reactions: Beautyspin and iPay

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
This has been discussed for years, and always accompanied by race-to-the-bottom inane comments. Seems many would rather complain than find a solution that meets their needs.

For $10 you can purchase pCalc, a scientific calculator which is almost infinitely configurable, with loads of features including conversions, RPN or algebraic representation, decimal or scientific notation, hex/octal/binary modes, paper tape, configurable layout, and on and on. I've been using pCalc for around 20 years and have never looked back.

Give it a whirl and find happiness. There's even a free version.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 7.40.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mekump

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Nice! And with the new M4 chip the calculator app will feel snappier than ever.

I know "snappiness" is a running gag now, but it's actually kind of sad how the macOS UI has gotten less snappy over the years. The amount of time icons bounce in the dock before an app loads is far too high. When it comes to app load times, my six-year-old Windows PC is much "snappier" than my M1 Max MBP.

iPay

Suspended
May 25, 2023
3 trillion dollar company focuses on a calculator app.

LOL, what a joke.
for $0, vanilla Calculator will give you: 2 + 3 = 5
for $1.99, Calculator Plus will give you: 2 + 3 = 5+ = 5.001
for $5.99, Calculator Pro will give you: 2 + 3 = 5.0 // more cores, more efficient computation
for $9.99, Calculator Pro Max will give you: 2 + 3 = max(2.0, 3.0) = 3.0
for $199.99, Calculator Ultra will give you: 2 + 3 = 5.000000000

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
That desk setup is nice and tidy… but isnt the monitor a little too high for ergonomic use 🧐

The top of the monitor should ideally be at eye height… but looks way higher 🤔
Maybe that's Daddy Long Neck's setup. Some people have a long neck, and in the case of DLN, a long torso too. 🤷‍♂️

DLN.png

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Huh? Seriously, is this report representative of all they have to offer to upgrade this essential app? I use a calculator probably more than I use email. If this is all we get with an update to calculator we should seriously consider if Apple has any talent left in the company to understand their customers.

I use the calculator a lot too, and the lack of one in the iPad is part of the reason I don't own an iPad (I don't want to use a third party app with intrusive ads).

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
So, they're upgrading it to do the same thing the Windows version does?
The windows calculator is one of my least favorite stock apps in Windows. Almost every time I launch that app it launches in full screen. I do not need a 27 inch monitor sized calculator app. Yes it has good functionality, but it is still a POS. I hope Apple shoots more to emulate the stock calendar in Gnome which had all of that functionality long before Windows did yet does not open like an app for blind old people.

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Nice. However, nothing beats my Texas Instruments TI-34 II calculator. It got me through High School, University and is now an essential tool at my job - it does some calculations more efficiently than Excel.
Sometimes things that are simple are the best.
Is it weird that I love my old calculator too? Casio FX-7000G. One of the first graphics capable calculators with a dot-matrix LED screen. Back in the 80's this thing was the muts nuts. And I still find it quicker and easier to use than on-device calculators, particularly for engineering calculations.

Reactions: Godspeed8230

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I use the calculator a lot too, and the lack of one in the iPad is part of the reason I don't own an iPad (I don't want to use a third party app with intrusive ads).

pCalc is $10, full featured, and with no ads.

Works great on my iPhone and iPads. It's in the App Store. There's also a free lite version.

Reactions: VisceralRealist

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Can't be too good. Sherlocking the existing calc apps will mean loss of 30% revenue from their sales. That is why I am pretty sure calculator will never come to iPad. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.