Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
No garish orange buttons please, maybe translucent red for ‘danger’ buttons like CLEAR/C ALL/C MEM if the Vision OS keyboard is any indication.

As for the classic physical calculator with tactile button feedback, why not replace the dated low contrast LCD display with a white-on-black OLED, increase the solar/light panel area around the display to compensate for extra power draw. Maybe even make the display itself part of the solar panel, like Casio Edifice watches if the true manufacturing cost isn’t too high.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Omg. An updated calculator. Maybe someday Apple will update Apple Mail.

The Mail app is excellent. It could use a bit of work, but it's been a real workhorse for me. Been using it for 20 years across multiple mail providers.

It's been well-known that the Mail team is unique within Apple, and a lot of the work that they do ends up inspiring designs for the OS as a whole.

What revamp are you looking for?

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I use the calculator a lot too, and the lack of one in the iPad is part of the reason I don't own an iPad (I don't want to use a third party app with intrusive ads).
It is a disgrace that this app has been ignored so much. I have more than 163 billion transistors in my computer and an outdated TI-89 with about 324 thousand transistors has more features.

philstubbington

macrumors 6502

Attachments

• IMG_6254.png
    IMG_6254.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: brucemr

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
The Mail app is excellent. It could use a bit of work, but it's been a real workhorse for me. Been using it for 20 years across multiple mail providers.

It's been well-known that the Mail team is unique within Apple, and a lot of the work that they do ends up inspiring designs for the OS as a whole.

The Mail app has only gotten worse since 10.6. The last few versions have been absolutely awful.

The best revamp would be to throw out all changes since Mac OS X 10.6, then debug it and ship it.

Shin-Ra

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
The Mail app (or OS notifications) needs to synchronise the unread messages count between devices.
The iOS / iPadOS Mail app is missing settings for how to handle Junk mail.

I’ve been banging on for years about this one but the Batteries widget needs to show all your Apple devices. Anything not constantly online (or temporary Bluetooth connected) could interpolate any battery level drop since last connection using historical data.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
The fact it took 20 years to revamp the calculator shows they have no more innovation left.

My cousin works at Apple he says MacOS 16 killer revamp will be the Reminder app.

• Haha
Reactions: tomtad

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011

I agree with you. I find mail to be one of the better email apps on the market. As a frequent user I would like to see four small additions.

1. A display zoom function similar to Pages or Word would be really nice.

2. A text highlight function would be useful (especially for notes to students.)

3. I wish Pages had the ability to create email templates for the mail app.

4. A table function.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
The fact it took 20 years to revamp the calculator shows they have no more innovation left.

My cousin works at Apple he says MacOS 16 killer revamp will be the Reminder app.
$2.5T company and this is what we get?

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

Apple will debut a major revamp of the Calculator app in macOS 15 later this year, according to AppleInsider.

macOS-15-Feature.jpg

The overhauled version of the Calculator app for Mac will reportedly feature:

• An enhanced unit conversion system located in the main user interface, including for currency conversion with up-to-date exchange rates.
  • "Math Notes" to allow the Notes app to communicate with the Calculator app in mathematical notation, also coming to iOS 18.
  • A history tape in the sidebar to show previous calculations, likely accessible via a dedicated button on the top left, which also provides options to toggle between all three calculator views: Basic, scientific, and programmer.
  • Adjustable window size across all three calculator views, with buttons that enlarge and change shape as needed.

The redesigned app will apparently offer a new design inspired by its iPhone counterpart in iOS 18, featuring rounded buttons. macOS 15 is almost certain to be previewed alongside iOS 18 and Apple's other major software updates at WWDC on June 10, followed by official release in the fall.

Article Link: macOS 15 Rumored to Feature Revamped Calculator App

This is really exciting. A calculator. Ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.