Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
This has been discussed for years, and always accompanied by race-to-the-bottom inane comments. Seems many would rather complain than find a solution that meets their needs.

For $10 you can purchase pCalc, a scientific calculator which is almost infinitely configurable, with loads of features including conversions, RPN or algebraic representation, decimal or scientific notation, hex/octal/binary modes, paper tape, configurable layout, and on and on. I've been using pCalc for around 20 years and have never looked back.

Give it a whirl and find happiness. There's even a free version.

View attachment 2369844
So, I buy a $2000 laptop and also buy a $10 app for calculator, $20 app for notes, $70 per year subscription for a calendar app, $50 app for reminders, and so on. Got it.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Does this mean the iPad will finally get a native calculator app?!
It is beyond absurd that Apple has never including a calculator app that has been standard on every computer, phone, tablet and pretty much any device ever made with a graphical user interface since the original Mac OS and Windows 1.0!

Even early iPods had a calculator built in to the os!!!!

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The pace of innovation at Apple these days is truly blow away

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: tYNS

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Good, will be happy to have the improvements in Calculator.

Other improvements I would like to see:

1. Sending a screen capture to Preview should not cause the open files dialog to open.

2. Need ability to set column width in Notes.

3. It would be nice to have a Bold, Italics, Highlight and Font color buttons on the Notes toolbar.

4. Fix Contacts new list issue. Contacts gives all new lists the title untitled irrespective of what name you choose.

5. It would be nice to use larger fonts in Contacts if you choose.

6. Fix Bluetooth reliability issues. Fifteen percent of the time my iMac can't find the Magic Keyboard or mouse.

(Bluetooth on my Intel Nuc with Windows 11 is much more reliable than my iMac.)

7. Wish Pages could create email templates for the Mac email app.

Reactions: iPay and maxoakland

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
When "Revamped Calculator" is the *headline* you know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel

But the weird thing is, there's so much low hanging fruit to fix on the Mac. Like the insanely bad System Settings revamp and all the little bugs and glitches. I've especially noticed them lately in multiple desktops/fullscreen. Just tons of little details that don't work right

The most exciting thing Apple could do is announce they're going to fix all the bugs in different areas of the Mac. They could start with Finder

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
It would be nice if this also came to iPad OS. I would also like to see construction functions added, like feet and inches and building areas.
I haven't tried it on iPad yet, but beyond stoked to find the free iHP48 app for iPhone/iPad a few days ago. If you can adjust to reverse polish notation, there's a lot of very decent equation libraries, and unit conversions anyone can use including length, volume, area, time, mass, force, temperature, viscosity, angles, etc.

bviktor

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2019
Will it finally have a thousand separator, or any other mind-blowing innovations?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
So, I buy a $2000 laptop and also buy a $10 app for calculator, $20 app for notes, $70 per year subscription for a calendar app, $50 app for reminders, and so on. Got it.

Yes... It's like when you buy a pair of jeans, at some point you'll also need to buy socks, underwear, and a shirt. Or... if you buy a toothbrush, you'll also need to buy toothpaste.

It looks like when you buy a laptop you expect/demand to get free software.

In furtherance to your mission and not wanting to spend $10 for a great app (one I've been using for 20 years - about 50 cents per year), you can get a FREE lite version of pCalc, that will likely meet your needs.

red elma

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2019
Silicon Valley
MacRumors must be using some kind of unreleased Siri powered AI to pick pictures for their articles.
I don't see any calculator in that office/desk setup picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.