Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
If anyone still needs Big Sur, you can use this link:
I feel like going back to Catalina before my headaches with the new OS'

Reactions: Cfreak

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Catalina was a bad attempt which Big Sur fixed most problems. Monterey is Big Sur improved even more.
Admittedly some of Apple's apps (Safari and News in particular) have problems but the OS itself is good.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
I’m trying to save up to get a faster computer. I don’t know if the new iMac’s are good. I’m not computer savvy and don’t know about specs.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
Catalina was a bad attempt which Big Sur fixed most problems. Monterey is Big Sur improved even more.
Admittedly some of Apple's apps (Safari and News in particular) have problems but the OS itself is good.
I thought it was good but wouldn’t Apple fix the main apps like Safari? that is their main web app.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Agree it is much better on my older iMac - I feel it is the most stable since Mojave.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
If anyone still needs Big Sur, you can use this link:
Thanks, but every time I launch the url it gets me to to Apple store,
I click Download Big Sur,
it goes to my System preferences and there after spinning for a little while, I get
"the software required doesn't exist" and of course they push for Monterey

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks, but every time I launch the url it gets me to to Apple store,
I click Download Big Sur,
it goes to my System preferences and there after spinning for a little while, I get
"the software required doesn't exist" and of course they push for Monterey
Download the Big Sur installer directly from Apple, as an InstallAssistant.pkg here, which will install the Apple Big Sur installer in your Applications folder.
You might have to use the Control key and Open the link in a new tab (window) depending on the browser you use.

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Download the Big Sur installer directly from Apple, as an InstallAssistant.pkg here, which will install the Apple Big Sur installer in your Applications folder.
You might have to use the Control key and Open the link in a new tab (window) depending on the browser you use.
Thanks for the link
I did it but something weird happened : while installing it , the system downloaded itself AGAIN!
I have Little Snitch Network monitor that showed another 12 GB download.
Then it took "10" minutes after installing, during preparing to install that lasted 1 hour or longer.
Did it happen just to me or is it the new normal?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Thanks for the link
I did it but something weird happened : while installing it , the system downloaded itself AGAIN!
I have Little Snitch Network monitor that showed another 12 GB download.
Then it took "10" minutes after installing, during preparing to install that lasted 1 hour or longer.
Did it happen just to me or is it the new normal?
I don't think you understand that link. It downloads a 12GB InstallAssistant.pkg file that writes the actual installer file (another 12GB) to your application folder when you run it. It should not be actually downloading the installer file, merely copying it to the application folder. Read the explanation on the Mr. Macintosh site for more details. You can save the 12GB pkg file to another disk to save space (the actual os installer will get deleted after the install automatically, which may be the reason Apple changed to this new system.
The space lost to both of those files, should be recovered after you delete them or move them to another disk and reboot.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008

I'm sure he pulls from Apple's links, too. But I personally always download directly from Apple, just to be safe.

Direct link from Apple to macOS 11.6.5 (20G527):

Reactions: jent

ResolutionNZ

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2022
I've had issues with apps in Big Sur freezing when I go to airdrop a file using the share function. I have the last Intel Macbook Pro 13". Was this issue ever fixed in Big Sur or Monterrey?

I recently downgraded to Catalina (what a nightmare that process was) because I couldn't get my 2015 Wacom Intuis tablet to work again when a driver update was installed, nor the controller apps work properly in Big Sur but this is a temporary thing until I complete a project. I still find the appearance of Catalina to be superior to Big Sur.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I downgraded to Big Sur 11.5.2 and my two main issues went away: a network issue and a memory leak issue. The network issue is where some webpages won't load. I have the same problem on Monterey. I see this problem on 4 Macs, two Apple Silicon, two Intel. Two on Monterey and two on Big Sur. I downgraded one system to Mojave as well and I haven't seen these issues on that system since.

I found that Big Sur was very stable when I bought my M1 mini a year ago but stuff backported from Monterey caused problems.

So a potential solution for those with problems that they can't resolve.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
It seems as if with every update my computer gets slower and slower. I'm about to play frisbee with my desktop because of all this frustration. I can't even open 2 things at one time. It's like the computer went into a conference and are discussing which one of them should open first. Forget about online, I know that I live in an area where the connection is bad, but to perform functions on my computer like Pages or even open Photoshop and open a folder it takes forever. To save a PSD file takes a long time too.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
It seems as if with every update my computer gets slower and slower. I'm about to play frisbee with my desktop because of all this frustration. I can't even open 2 things at one time. It's like the computer went into a conference and are discussing which one of them should open first. Forget about online, I know that I live in an area where the connection is bad, but to perform functions on my computer like Pages or even open Photoshop and open a folder it takes forever. To save a PSD file takes a long time too.
Try a clean install with the new OS?

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Try a clean install with the new OS?

It's a PITA, but it can fix a lot of problems. Just do not restore from a backup. Well, just your data. If you restore the new install, you run the risk of polluting the new install. It might suck, but to get the full benefit of the reinstall, don't risk it with the old system 'lint'.

Every time I have had to do a reinstall at the direction of Apple support, they have made me swear that I wouldn't do a restore. It worked. Well, just doing the restore could have fixed it, but why risk it?

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
I did a reinstall about a month ago. I can't say it did anything but it's still acting as it did before. I think I need a stronger Mac but I'm broke and I can't afford anything. I guess I have to somehow upgrade my computer.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'd be curious if the issues are happening on Intel based Macs? M1 and M1 Pro here with no issues.

I've known from early on that an OS tends to collect 'lint'. Stuff left over from installs that either went good, or bad. Software uninstalled. Crashes, burps, farts, power outages. I mean it seems like *some* operating systems are more prone to meltdowns from 'lint' accumulation, but the ALL suffer.

I'm riding my bike/trainer app. Sweating my butt off, and *****BOOM***** No Bluetooth!! What protocol does everything I'm using depend on? Yeah...

Happens about one a month. Then once a week, or so. Then once a week. Then every other day! Apple basically resets the whole Bluetooth system and it's still happening but not as often. Lint. If poking the Bluetooth subsystem doesn't fix it, it's something deeper, and in the darker recesses of that morass called an OS. It tripped out, again, and I wiped it (to hopefully kill the restore image) and reinstalled from a USB stick. Seems a lot better. Hasn't crashed yet. I didn't do a restore, but it was a limited use system so no pain.

It was/is an Intel based mac. Lint happens to every system. Some just seem to be more sensitive to it, or vulnerable.

Redsfan

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Greater Toronto Area
rmade a serpate thread for this as well, but wondering if others haver the sarmre rissue ras rme on a mid 2014 MBR? Notirce rthe extra r's? Frustrating, and I have fixed the key repeat to off, but it still happens

CESARTR12

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
hello, I have had problems with my mackbook after updating a great sur it does not allow me to log in to apple ID or emails. I can only start the section from other users but not in the main user. I already tried to do it from the safe mode without any success

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.