Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Any new news about 11.6.1? On my late 2014 iMac running build 20G221, I have seen Onyx 4.0 crash trying to delete the Time Machine snapshot, had to force quit it with the Option-Command-Esc key combination, but otherwise it seems solid enough.
I’ve moved on to macOS 12.0.1, which is also pretty buggy for me.

Reactions: RichWh1

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I’ve moved on to macOS 12.0.1, which is also pretty buggy for me.
For what it's worth, Onyx brought out an update to version 4.0.1, shortly after I had that crash (reported to Apple).
How is Monterey doing? Usable? Unfortunately, this late 2014 iMac 15,1 is not supported for Monterey. That is OK, we have 2 years of support ahead of us, and who knows what the world will be in that time period.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Reactions: gank41

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
I have had one of my minis in storage for > 6 months while house being repaired (picked a great time for it) and hwile laptop was fine I got my Mini out of storage and upgraded to 11.6.

Had the Time Machine problem and the spotlighting problem, etc and was thinking of downgrading when as a last throw of the dice I too the 11.6.1 upgrade. I am no longer having time machine backups than never finish, etc. It seems to have worked for me.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m not sure I’m the only one with this problem, I just did a clean install with macOS 11.6.1 and Safari 15.1, and now Safari doesn’t work. It’s an Intel machine. It’s stuck with the beach ball spinning. It’s an SSD based mac, so obviously this never happened before. I’ve killed the non responsive Safari process, rebooted, and so on, nothing seems to leave Safari 15.1 operative. I just can’t use Safari.

Anyone else with this issue? In the meantime, I’ll reinstall Big Sur again and try everything again.

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
How were you able to get 11.6.1 now that Monterey is out? I just checked Software Update and it only shows 12.0.1 for my 2017 iMac.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
How were you able to get 11.6.1 now that Monterey is out? I just checked Software Update and it only shows 12.0.1 for my 2017 iMac.
See post #5 on this thread:
Easy access to the 11.6.1 installer.

Reactions: gank41 and Sill

Daniel_Lim2300

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Malaysia
Upgraded to the latest version.
11.6.1 final.png

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m happy to report I finally solved my issue with Safari 15.1 freezing with my iCloud account.

If you’re experiencing the same issue right after a clean install, you just do the following: do not update Safari right after installing BS. Instead, you just open Safari 14.1.2 and let it settle down while it refreshes all the metadata and bookmarks. After that, you just close Safari and then update Safari to Safari 15.1

omeletpants

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2005
I havent read through this thread to see if a fix to the HP printer/Big Sur scanning issue but here is the fix:

The "permission problem" exists if you are using the "HP Scan" program, But if you download the "HP Smart" app from the Apple app store and use that the scan works again

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
I've gone up to 11.6.1 and I'm very happy to say that my cherished Samsung M306x laser printer is working again. It was a casualty of Apple's choice to stop allowing 32 bit drivers in the garden. Up until now I'd been playing games using Image Capture to do scans, and for printing I was able to use a generic driver as long as I'd changed the file to 2 bit.

HP bought Samsung's printer business and I thought I'd never get a working driver out of that company. Apple came through for me, finally.

Artakamoose

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Bay Area
If anyone still needs Big Sur, you can use this link:

Reactions: RichWh1

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
If anyone still needs Big Sur, you can use this link:
And a direct link from Apple's Servers to macOS 11.6.2:

Reactions: Isamilis and pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just got offered 11.6.3 and read some of the threads below on problems. I think that I'm going to wait on upgrading. I'm fairly well settled with Big Sur on this system. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and it came with Big Sur and I just left it on. I was considering installing Mojave on it but I'll just run Big Sur for now. Monterey is too unstable for my daily driver.

Reactions: nebojsak

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
What problems are present on 11.6.3?

Also, does Safari 15.3 solve the security flaw existing on previous versions of Safari 15? Those related with Javascript. Thank you.

EDIT: I’ve been comparing the security pages of Safari 15.3 for Big Sur and Monterey, and they have both the same 4 Webkit vulnerabilities fixed. We can assume that thanks to Big Sur 11.6.3 and Safari 15.3 we have the same level of security fixes than macOS 12.2 Monterey.

Last edited:

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Just got offered 11.6.3 and read some of the threads below on problems. I think that I'm going to wait on upgrading. I'm fairly well settled with Big Sur on this system. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and it came with Big Sur and I just left it on. I was considering installing Mojave on it but I'll just run Big Sur for now. Monterey is too unstable for my daily driver.

Settled on 11.6, so far so good.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Has anyone had any issues with the safari that installed with bigsur update. When I am logged into Safari on amazon the amazon search bar doesn't work for me anymore. It used to take focus from the main amazon page and it doesn't do that anymore. It doesn't accept text for me and doesn't respond at all. It started happening with the last safari update.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Are others experiencing an issue with their Mac crashing upon sleep (or maybe upon trying to wake up from sleep—I'm not sure)? This has been happening only over the last few days as I installed the most recent security update for macOS 11.6.3.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
When mine wakes up it's has trouble connecting to WiFi. A lot of times when I click a link it stalls out, then I hit the X in the address window to stop it then click the link again and that time it connects to the site almost immediately.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Are others experiencing an issue with their Mac crashing upon sleep (or maybe upon trying to wake up from sleep—I'm not sure)? This has been happening only over the last few days as I installed the most recent security update for macOS 11.6.3.
IN addition to having a problem with amazon search, every night when close the lid to my Mac the next day when I opened the lid I get the message your computer was restarted because of a problem. Because of these 2 constant issues I upgraded to Monterey and have had no more issues.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
IN addition to having a problem with amazon search, every night when close the lid to my Mac the next day when I opened the lid I get the message your computer was restarted because of a problem. Because of these 2 constant issues I upgraded to Monterey and have had no more issues.
My Amazon page freezes up too (at least in Safari, I don’t use Chrome for that)! I figured it was an Amazon problem and not a macOS issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.