Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

josduc

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
On a remote NAS ?

Since High Sierra when (I think) they changed the mounting points, I'm using Automounter (see Appstore, costs some money), which automatically looks for shares and mounts them. Works great.
[automerge]1570807075[/automerge]

Yes, that's from a Synology NAS.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I've updated to OsX Catalina and it seems the refresh rate of my external monitor went from 60hz to 30hz which is quite annoying. Can't find a way to fix it

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I've updated to OsX Catalina and it seems the refresh rate of my external monitor went from 60hz to 30hz which is quite annoying. Can't find a way to fix it

Managed to fix it. It seems that Catalina resets the refresh rate to 30hz and one needs to change it manually to 60hz:

A7ibaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Sweden
Im using MacBook Pro 2017 Function keys ( 256 SSD ,16 GB RAM ) and these are the bugs i noticed so far:

- location arrow is showing on even if it is disabled in option

- function keys are little bit unresponsive.I need to press function keys twice (brightness,key or volume. After that they are responsive for a while.

- sometimes mac doesn't lock screen even if i set lock after 4 hours

-memory usage in higher than mojave 6.5 GB vs 5.1 GB ( programs are the same as prior OS ) TBH, its not a bug,just something i noticed

-airpods syncing is mushy. After i try to connect airpods from iPhone to mac they disconnect and connect 3-4 times until they establish stable connection.

-after few days using mac in sleep mode and vice versa i noticed that OS is somehow slow and unresponsive.Like the memory is full, even if it isn't, 6 GB RAM used and 10 GB is free.SSD usage is 35 GB. Its subjective ,i have feeling like i need to restart system to get it at full peak performance. I never had this feeling on Mojave.

Last edited:

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
So I'm having a major issue with catalina, I have my 2012 macbook pro with dual ssd's raid 0 with APFS enabled with no problems, until now where whenever I download any new files, apps, pdf's, anything, I keep getting the error of the file is damages and can't be opened. This error happened when I was running catalina even without the raid and on a single SSD. Has anybody else had this same issue?

pakovich09

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
Guys, I have a weird problem here, so when I connect Ipad to my 2018 mbp 13 base, my whole screen turns red and starts glitching for 3~4 secs, then it comes back to normal. The same thing happens when I enable/disable Show Sidebar or Show Touch Bar function in the Sidecar menu. I also saw this happening when connecting to TV via Airplay (didn't see that on Mojave).

Did anybody come across the same issue?

Note that in the past two months I've seen another problem with the screen on my mac, before upgrading to Catalina - black stripe can randomly appear on the bottom of the screen. So it may be problem with my mac itself.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I had mentioned Bluetooth issues causing a stuttering mouse, I found the issue, not Catalina. Having turned off all surrounding Bluetooth devices nothing worked. Then I realised my Jabra earphones were sitting right beside the mouse in their charging case.

Moved them away, the mouse is fine, move them back mouse stutters, tried it many times and it caused an issue every single time they were close.

Just more an FYI, never seen that happen before. No issue when they are out of the case, only when they are in the case.

mdrums

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
Tampa FL
Updated to Catalina and now I cant cc or bass on Mac Mail. When in Mac Mail and you click the + to the right in the cc or bcc area it brings up your contacts. Well contact come up but when you click on the address to cc or bcc it will not go to the cc/bcc part of the email. Has anyone noticed this and is there a fix for it?

dh930

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Is there a fix for Firefox contents so that you can read the texts? I have the latest version of Firefox and Catalina OS.

Screen.png

Anyone running it from an external disc?
Solved the slow boot?
On Saturday, via my Mac Mini, after Erasing and Formatting my Samsung 860 EVO 500 Gig SSD in an external Case, I did a clean, "virgin" installation of oS 10.15 onto that SSD, and then migrated/copied needed files, folders, settings, etc. from my (Mojave) internal SSD on my Mac Mini. That process went fine.

Restarted the Mini from that external SSD, and had no issues. Of course my 32 bits apps that were migrated were "greyed out", ie, disabled, which I expected. Tested Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Google Chrome. Firefox, Quicken 2017, VueScan, VLC, 1Password, EasyFind, AppCleaner, and the "new" iTunes, and all worked well. And was able to print a Writer Document, via LibreOffice, to my Canon printer.

Catalina seems fine, but given that a couple of my critical apps have not been upgraded yet (SuperDuper!, TechTool Pro, and Onyx), I am not doing any more testing. Also, since Catalina has some bugs (typical with a new Mac OS release), I am going to wait until at least V10.15.2 of Catalina is released before upgrading permanently. There is really nothing "earth shattering" in Catalina that I need, and based in prior years, TechTool Pro typically is not compatible (with an update) until either the .1 version has been released (was the case for Sierra and High Sierra), or the .2 version was released (was the case for Mojave). And Mojave is working just fine.

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
On Saturday, via my Mac Mini, after Erasing and Formatting my Samsung 860 EVO 500 Gig SSD in an external Case, I did a clean, "virgin" installation of oS 10.15 onto that SSD, and then migrated/copied needed files, folders, settings, etc. from my (Mojave) internal SSD on my Mac Mini. That process went fine.

Restarted the Mini from that external SSD, and had no issues. Of course my 32 bits apps that were migrated were "greyed out", ie, disabled, which I expected. Tested Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Google Chrome. Firefox, Quicken 2017, VueScan, VLC, 1Password, EasyFind, AppCleaner, and the "new" iTunes, and all worked well. And was able to print a Writer Document, via LibreOffice, to my Canon printer.

Catalina seems fine, but given that a couple of my critical apps have not been upgraded yet (SuperDuper!, TechTool Pro, and Onyx), I am not doing any more testing. Also, since Catalina has some bugs (typical with a new Mac OS release), I am going to wait until at least V10.15.2 of Catalina is released before upgrading permanently. There is really nothing "earth shattering" in Catalina that I need, and based in prior years, TechTool Pro typically is not compatible (with an update) until either the .1 version has been released (was the case for Sierra and High Sierra), or the .2 version was released (was the case for Mojave). And Mojave is working just fine.

I need superduper too....not even a beta out. Just nothing.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well I just got off of Chat with OWC/MacSales where I've purchased memory for my Macs in the past. I've already posted my late 2015 iMac is having memory issues after upgrading to Catalina. Now, at 10.15 I'm still running out of memory.

Anyway, I thought about bumping my 32GB up to 64GB. To OWC's credit they said wait and tough it out to see if updates fix this memory issue I'm having. So, I will. I'd had to spend more money on an older iMac and find out buggy Catalina devours any extra RAM I buy.

This is beginning to remind me of the bad old days with OS7! I hope buggy Catalina smooths out for everyone having issues.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Just noticed a bug in the Photos app: When I take a photo with my iPhone and click on the automatic enhance thing in the photos app and then have a look at the photo in the macOS photos app, the effect is correctly applied but the icon is not highlighted.

Reactions: adrianlondon

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Am I the only one seeing out of place fonts in various places? Can't tell if it's Catalina or just down to the specific product I'm using, but I know before upgrading they weren't like this.

I can only think of one example right now, and like I said it could just be Word, but the auto-fill prompt. I've seen this sort of thing a couple times now across the OS.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.09.49 pm.png

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I encountered a bug on my MacBook Pro 15 (2019), if I change the scaling to anything but the default, 'I' can work fine all day but if I reboot, when the loading progress bar reaches 70%, it just disappears and hangs on a black screen until I force shut it down, a few more reboots and it boots fine but happens every time when I reboot. I reported this to Apple, probably an issue with Catalina

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I encountered a bug on my MacBook Pro 15 (2019), if I change the scaling to anything but the default, 'I' can work fine all day but if I reboot, when the loading progress bar reaches 70%, it just disappears and hangs on a black screen until I force shut it down, a few more reboots and it boots fine but happens every time when I reboot. I reported this to Apple, probably an issue with Catalina
I tend to use the default resolution/scaling at night, when my old-man eyes struggle, but during the day I scale up (or is it down?) to 1680x1050. Rebooting is no problem.

I'm on the latest Catalina beta but it's been fine throughout all Catalina versions.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I tend to use the default resolution/scaling at night, when my old-man eyes struggle, but during the day I scale up (or is it down?) to 1680x1050. Rebooting is no problem.

I'm on the latest Catalina beta but it's been fine throughout all Catalina versions.
Which laptop do you have and what specs? I have switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics + Radeon Vega 20) not sure if that's the issue. I even tried disabling automatically switching graphics in the power settings but it didn't help. Tried NVRAM Reset still no luck. It would boot every time with the default scaling but not when scaled.

I like the scaled look more the text is much sharper. Apple changed that setting to not scaled since 2016 I believe= but it seems like I'm the only one with this issue. I formatted more than 5 times testing and installing one app at a time until I finally discovered the moment I change the scaling this happens.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.