Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I have been running all of the iOS and MacOS betas since they started making betas available to developers and this is the first time I’ve ever had enough issues that I’ve wanted to go back to a previous version. ios 13 is good enough but Catalina is driving me nuts. The first betas were okay but around beta 5 I started having issues. Splitting up iTunes has been annoying but not a deal breaker. In these last couple betas, my Mac now boots directly into “safe boot” unless I hold the option key while booting. When it’s running is “safe boot” it is very slow and stutters constantly. Why it boots normally when holding the Option key instead of presenting all the different bootable disks doesn’t make sense to me. I can’t hold any other key combinations while booting and have them actually do anything.
The kicker is that I don’t know how to actually get back to Mojave. I have tried making bootable Mojave USB Installers but it isn’t working. I can’t get the thing to recognize the installer so I can format my disk. I tried booting into target disk mode and doing the install from my other Mac but my other Mac running an older OS won’t run it either.
I’m stuck!

Last edited:

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
What about java?
Is it there on catalina, or what is the latest suitable version to download and install?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Build number 19A602:

Increase contrast + Reduce transparency + Graphite accent color = buttons nowhere to be seen in Notification Center.

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 4.52.24 PM.png

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well credit where credit is due regarding Catalina 10.15. Sort of.

My late 2015 iMac would not start from sleep beginning with the Mojave update. Now, for the last week I can sleep my iMac, or let it fall to sleep without a hard crash that required a Power Button re-start. God help me if iTunes/Music was running as the re-build to many, many minutes.

I did clean out all my 32 bit applications. I don't know maybe that helped. I also cut as many start-ups in the system.

Ha, just found another bug! I can get any of my System Preferences to load. Also, the memory issues continue even with 32GB.

One step forward, two steps back :(

Last edited:

BobMcBob

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
Mail is practically unusable. I have a new 6-core Mac mini and Mail sometimes takes 150%+ CPU for hours. It's so slow, it can take minutes to change mailboxes (just clicking on a different mailbox and waiting to view the list of emails). Searching doesn't work at all. It just sits and displays "Searching...". When I move mailboxes around in the left Mailbox List, later on, I don't when or why, they move. It doesn't keep the order I put them in. Clicking on an email to view it can take 20 seconds maybe. And, it crashes a few times a day, and it's not reproducable. It crashes doing all different things, or nothing at all. The "To" and "From" names in the list will spastically and continuously change every second between what was in the email and what's in my Contacts. Like, it might switch back and forth, while it's just sitting there and I'm not interacting with it, between "Bill" and "William" or maybe "bmcbob" and "Bob", for example.
More here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250751699

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Every since I installed Catalina and I close the lid of my MacBook Air 2019, I get the spinning beach ball 9 times out of 10 whenever I wake up my MBA by opening the lid.

I have to force shutdown by pressing the power button and restart the machine.

This has never happened to me before on Mojave.

Is this a common bug? Is there any way to fix it? I already have the supplemental update installed.

I don't mind the minor nuisances with Catalina but this bugs me so much!

shumba

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
my MacBook Pro 15 2019 run 10 degrees celsius hotter than on Mojave. I did a smc and pram reset still the same

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
A fix for remembering the finder's window size?
Each time I start mac, I have to manually maximize it.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Just installed 10.15.1. These bugs are still persisting.

1. Music - when downloading music, the artworks flash periodically.

2. TV - when downloading movies, the artworks flash periodically. Very annoying again.

3. When I was trying to make a purchase on the tv app, it said I needed to verify my payment info and took me to the credit card page. When it did, there was nothing to verify and was not able to make any purchases and was stuck in an endless loop of trying to make a purchase and the app keeps asking me to verify my payment info. I was able to resolve it by adding another credit card and using it instead.

3. In the payment verification screen within the tv app, there was a back button at the top left and another 'go back' button on the bottom right. The back button '<' at the top left doesn't do anything when I press it.

4. In the payment verification screen, there were multiple credit cards shown and it says drag each credit card up and down in order to make the default payment option. I tried dragging it up and down but I was not able to do it. It seems like it's a catalyst thing where dragging and dropping is allowed in ipados but not in macos.

5. News - hiding the sidebar and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The sidebar reappears.

6. Console - hiding the sidebar and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The sidebar reappears.

7. Font book - hiding the sidebar and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The sidebar reappears.

8. Scrip editor - hiding the description and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The description reappears.

9. Keychain access - hiding the keychains and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The keychains reappear.

10. Adobe acrobat dc - not able to install it. The installer is stuck w/ a beachball indefinitely.

Last edited:

kpw1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Everything working pretty good on 10.15 for me (27" iMac), except for "capture window" screenshot.

Command-Shift-4 then space bar turns the pointer into a camera which *should* allow you to hover over a window. Then clicking mouse should take a the snapshot of the window.

I tried deleting screencapture defaults and the .plist file.

It works for another account on this machine. Weird.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.40.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 8.40.32 PM.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

faraway52

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2019
Germany
10.15.1 did not fix the finder problem not disconnecting from my Synology NAS. It connects fine but can not disconnect. The finder must be forced down. All other apps like TM, CCC connect and disconnect fine with the DS218 NAS. NAS runs with SMB 2 and 3.

I miss a statement about the mail bug (loosing mail content and attachments when moving between folders) in 10.15.1. Is it fixed?
That is a show stopper to used Catalina all day. It still is a test system only. I can not risk to loose email content and replicate damaged email to all my macOS and IOS devices.

Last edited:

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Yesterday I finally jumped into macOS Catalina with 10.15.1 and....

everything is working fine, I just have some minor bugs like:

- Everytime I open Activity monitor, I get the columns stretched out like this -->
1572429733863.png

- icons on list view in Finder are kind of bugged with a blank background-->
1572429869090.png

- I get that Maps is using the location arrow ALL the time, it's annoying.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Does handoff on Mac no longe show the name of the device when it picks it up and only the model name or is this a bug? It use to say like whoever iPhone 8 I think on Mojave but now I think it says the model number

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Universal Clipboard is glitchy. I have 4 devices signed into a single account and copy/paste is not consistent across all of them. I have a 2019 mbp 15”, 2019 mba, 2018 ipp 12.9”, iPhone 11 Pro Max. It works on 3 devices and sometimes all 4. I’m not sure if I am the only one w/ this issue.

billgr0248

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
While attempting to sync/backup my iPhone 7+ running IOS 13.2 to my 2017 MBP (MacOS 10.15.1) I received this:

Is anybody else seeing this or do you know what the unknown error might represent?

Tia...billgr0248

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 11.14.17.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 11.14.17.png
    362.7 KB · Views: 130
Stick with Mojave. I wish I did.
Once again, sane, sane advice! As t is, it is going to be at least a couple of months before I permanently "move" to Catalina, given that Micromat will not have a Catalina compatible version of TechTool Pro ready until December, or possibly January. By that time, OS 10.15.2 will be out, and maybe even OS 10.15.3.

Reactions: MacSSD

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
Upgraded to 10.15.1 and Time Machine has decided to stop working. Anyone else having problems?

I've deleted and reset up my Time Machine backups. It completed the initial backup ok, however it's now giving me this error every time it tries to backup and its failing to backup successfully.

Any ideas?

VDGqQ3Z.png

Upgraded to 10.15.1 and Time Machine has decided to stop working. Anyone else having problems?

I've deleted and reset up my Time Machine backups. It completed the initial backup ok, however it's now giving me this error every time it tries to backup and its failing to backup successfully.

Any ideas?

VDGqQ3Z.png
That's definitely not good, if your backups are not working.

I am so happy that Shirt Pocket software is devoting the time and effort to making a fully compatible, error free Catalina compatible version of SuperDuper!.

Reactions: fricotin

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
That's definitely not good, if your backups are not working.

I am so happy that Shirt Pocket software is devoting the time and effort to making a fully compatible, error free Catalina compatible version of SuperDuper!.
I totally gave up on Time Machine once CCC came out with their APFS compatible clone system.
It's really easy to browse the snapshots in Finder and pick and choose files to restore or just restore the complete system from any snapshot time and date.
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 1.27.37 PM.png

Last edited:
I totally gave up on Time Machine once CCC came out with their APFS compatible clone system.
It's really easy to browse the snapshots in Finder and pick and choose files to restore or just restore the complete system from any snapshot time and date.
View attachment 873735
Well stated! And products like CCC and SuperDuper! sure make it easy for a full, clean, fresh installation of a Mac OS.

Reactions: jbarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.