Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MacSSD

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
Just installed 10.15.1. These bugs are still persisting.

1. Music - when downloading music, the artworks flash periodically.

2. TV - when downloading movies, the artworks flash periodically. Very annoying again.

3. When I was trying to make a purchase on the tv app, it said I needed to verify my payment info and took me to the credit card page. When it did, there was nothing to verify and was not able to make any purchases and was stuck in an endless loop of trying to make a purchase and the app keeps asking me to verify my payment info. I was able to resolve it by adding another credit card and using it instead.

3. In the payment verification screen within the tv app, there was a back button at the top left and another 'go back' button on the bottom right. The back button '<' at the top left doesn't do anything when I press it.

4. In the payment verification screen, there were multiple credit cards shown and it says drag each credit card up and down in order to make the default payment option. I tried dragging it up and down but I was not able to do it. It seems like it's a catalyst thing where dragging and dropping is allowed in ipados but not in macos.

5. News - hiding the sidebar and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The sidebar reappears.

6. Console - hiding the sidebar and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The sidebar reappears.

7. Font book - hiding the sidebar and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The sidebar reappears.

8. Scrip editor - hiding the description and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The description reappears.

9. Keychain access - hiding the keychains and quitting the app doesn't remember this setting. The keychains reappear.

10. Adobe acrobat dc - not able to install it. The installer is stuck w/ a beachball indefinitely.

Catalina may go down as the buggiest release from Apple of all time. Hopefully all of the above issues are fully resolved with either another supplemental update or 10.15.2. Thanks for sharing these issues. I was very curious to see if a lot of bugs were still present after the release of 10.15.1 and you answered it.

I'm still on Mojave and loving it. I'll wait for 10.15.2 from Apple before upgrading. I'm assuming Apple will fix a lot of bugs in the next release.
[automerge]1572500062[/automerge]
Once again, sane, sane advice! As t is, it is going to be at least a couple of months before I permanently "move" to Catalina, given that Micromat will not have a Catalina compatible version of TechTool Pro ready until December, or possibly January. By that time, OS 10.15.2 will be out, and maybe even OS 10.15.3.

That's exactly what I'm doing. When I saw how many people here and around the internet was having problems with Catalina I decided to hold on to Mojave. Now I know NEVER EVER EVER update to a major OS release from Apple until at least the .2 or .3 version. That gives them plenty of time to address most serious bugs.

Last edited:

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
My MBP 13" from 2015 last 2h less in Catalina than Mojave.

Come on Apple, this macOS update is pretty disappointing so far.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Upgraded to 10.15.1 and Time Machine has decided to stop working. Anyone else having problems?

I've deleted and reset up my Time Machine backups. It completed the initial backup ok, however it's now giving me this error every time it tries to backup and its failing to backup successfully.

Any ideas?

VDGqQ3Z.png

Time Machine backups have been working as usual for me on 15.0 and 15.1

TheRealDrJones

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
I am on 10.15.1 on a MacBook Pro 2016.

There a was recurring sound coming from the right speaker after waking from sleep, although there was no app running which could have produced this.
Very scary considering my speakers were blown out by Safari watching a Youtube Video on my other MBP 2016.

So I restarted quickly to safe my speakers. Then I could not enter my password. Maybe I mistyped the first time but after three tries I wondered what was going on and it seemed the delete key was not working, so maybe I was just adding stuff after the first try.

So I restarted. Then the keyboard was not working at all. No character inputs in the password field.

So I restarted.
And again.

And finally it worked and everything is normal now.

This release should not have happened in it's current state. And I can look past minor bugs, but after the speaker fiasco, stuff like this really scary.

mikey8811

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2019
Does anyone have an issue with the Photos app on Catalina still accessing a external HD where the photo library is even when the Photos app itself is off.

I am unable to eject the external HD because of this.

Is there a setting to stop Photos from using the drive when Photos itself is off? This did not happen with Mojave.

MacSSD

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
My MBP 13" from 2015 last 2h less in Catalina than Mojave.

Come on Apple, this macOS update is pretty disappointing so far.

I also have a 2015 13" MBP. Stuff like this just further encourages me to stay on Mojave. If 10.15.2 doesn't fix these issues I'll wait for .3. kind of sucks though because if I understand correctly you can't view AppleTV+ on a Mac without Catalina.

SFeV

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
Since macOS Catalina I experience problems with the use of PDF files via the Preview app. Preview doesn't even highlight the word I'm looking for via cmd + f. In addition, I cannot select or copy the text when I use Preview. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, or is this a known bug?

This is not my video, but the same problem: https://streamable.com/31ros

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Since macOS Catalina I experience problems with the use of PDF files via the Preview app. Preview doesn't even highlight the word I'm looking for via cmd + f. In addition, I cannot select or copy the text when I use Preview. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, or is this a known bug?

This is not my video, but the same problem: https://streamable.com/31ros

I just tested on a PDF text file I have and it seems to work fine (see screenshot). I wonder if it is something about the particular document you are working with?

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 7.19.24 AM.png

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
Time Machine backups have been working as usual for me on 15.0 and 15.1

Thanks. Everything was fine for me on 10.15.0 as well, started after I installed the latest update. I've deleted and recreated my Time Machine network share, then setup Time Machine from scratch again and it appears to be better, but I still get a failed backup every so often rather than it constantly failing before.

Reactions: CamiMR
Catalina may go down as the buggiest release from Apple of all time. Hopefully all of the above issues are fully resolved with either another supplemental update or 10.15.2. Thanks for sharing these issues. I was very curious to see if a lot of bugs were still present after the release of 10.15.1 and you answered it.

In actuality, my testing of Catalina so far has gone well. Except for SuperDuper! and TechTool Pro (both of which need Catalina-compatible versions), all my third party apps work fine, as does my printer.

I'm still on Mojave and loving it. I'll wait for 10.15.2 from Apple before upgrading. I'm assuming Apple will fix a lot of bugs in the next release.
[automerge]1572500062[/automerge]

Wise move. As it is, I am "forced" to wait until at least V10.15.2 arrives, and possibly V10.15.2, given that the two programs I mentioned above are not yet compatible with Catalina. In actuality, the Mojave-compatible version of TechTool Pro did not arrive until January of this year, and it was shortly before OS 10.14.3 came out. That is when I moved from High Sierra to Mojave, and all has been well.

That's exactly what I'm doing. When I saw how many people here and around the internet was having problems with Catalina I decided to hold on to Mojave. Now I know NEVER EVER EVER update to a major OS release from Apple until at least the .2 or .3 version. That gives them plenty of time to address most serious bugs.

+1000!

Last edited:

Reflexiste

macrumors regular
May 21, 2015
Belgium
When the profil color of screen it's calibrate with Spyder, when Catalina switch in night mode= issue crashed color

Gabri

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Catalina occasionally hangs at shutdown (maybe 1 out of 4 times) on my 2018 Mac Mini. It closes everything and all I see is the desktop wallpaper and mouse pointer. Command-Option-Escape shows no running applications and I wind up doing a hard shutdown and a full Disk Utility First Aid sweep on the next boot, which is annoying.

I did an upgrade to Catalina first, and then did a clean install with restore from Time Machine, and it still does it. I haven't seen hanging at shutdown mentioned in this thread - is anyone else having this problem?

I have this issue but even worse, it hangs on shutdown every time! I literally can't shutdown the machine. I have to force shutdown or wait for it to get a kernel panic & restart. I have this issue on two machines MBP 2015 & MBP 2019 & it's since I updated to Catalina & until now one 10.15.1 it's still the same. Super super annoying…

I tried shutting down all apps before shutdown & reset SMC (only fixed the issue once). Not sure what more I need to do to fix this.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Universal Clipboard is glitchy. I have 4 devices signed into a single account and copy/paste is not consistent across all of them. I have a 2019 mbp 15”, 2019 mba, 2018 ipp 12.9”, iPhone 11 Pro Max. It works on 3 devices and sometimes all 4. I’m not sure if I am the only one w/ this issue.

I am still on Mojave and encountered this problem this morning.

The strange thing is, universal clipboard doesn't work when I copy from Mail on iOS. It works when I copy text from another app. So in my case, the Mail app on iOS may have a bug.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
The tumbnail preview in Finder is bugged:
1572775125470.png

Why I have the blank page in the zip file instead of only the Keka icon?

Also happening with some pdf files:
1572775202487.png

Anything I can do? Maybe clear chache or reset finder or something...

Also, have they changed the volume HUD? Mine is like this, doesn't have the black little boxes:
1572776659862.png

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm getting weird duplicates of files in finder that I can not open - Showing up in a full path to Catlina-Data than my library then iCloud... if that makes sense.

The new way that iPhone syncing is handled is stupid, can't see the progress or skip a step (Say skip backup).

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
My problems so far on my 2013 27" iMac:

Kernel panics while accessing or copying files to a network share on a Windows server

Time machine tries to start, my external hard drive is working etc, but will fail and not backup anything

Some folder icons are replaced with plain white document icons

Spotlight can not find some files, even if i can easily open them through the Finder

The new audio book application ruined my file structure by moving the files to where it wanted them, but failed to move all of them so some are still in the original place.

I can not use any installer because the boot drive is not available as an option when installing

The software update has failed to download the upgrade to 10.15.1 several times.

I can not update to 10.15.1 even after i managed to download it. I have tried close to 10 times and each time the update seems to start as normal, but when the computer has booted up nothing has been installed. I even downloaded the stand alone installer, but alas, i can not install it because i can not select the boot drive as the installation target(!)

Edit: I tried using the terminal (thanks to the guy in this thread who mentioned it) but to no avail. After the reboot nothing has been installed.

Last edited:
Sorry you are having so many issues, SomeSwede. I myself am having no issues with my testing of Catalina (both 10.15 and 10.15.1), as just about all my third party applications work fine. For searches, I use EasyFind instead of Spotlight, and it works well. Two of my critical applications, SuperDuper! and TechTool Pro, are not yet compatible with Catalina. SuperDuper! should be shortly, but it will take longer for TechTool Pro. Not an issue for me, as there is really nothing "earth shattering" in Catalina that I must have, and thus I am content to wait until either 10.15.2 or 10.15.3 is released. It depends on when the Catalina update for TechTool Pro is released. Meanwhile, Mojave is just fine as is.

I have always done a clean, fresh installation of a new Mac OS (or sometimes a new version within a current one), and that has consistently worked well. Of course, having SuperDuper! backups for both of my Macs makes that process smooth, painless, and error free. In fact, that is how I have been testing Catalina on an external SSD. That is, first, I use Disk Utility to Erase and Format that external SSD as APFS. Then I run the installer for Catalina, and install it onto that external SSD. Finally, as part of the installation, I am offered the opportunity to migrate/copy needed files, folders, apps, settings, etc. from a just completed SuperDuper! backup. When that completes, I can boot the respective Mac from that "Catalina" external SSD, and then perform testing.

Are you making backups to an external device? And if so, what software do you use for that process?

Reactions: orbital~debris

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Is there any way to remove movies from the "up next" list in the TV app? In iOS you get a popup menu by doing a long-press, but I can't get this to work in Catalina version (right-click doesn't work). Makes the watch list almost useless.

Reactions: orbital~debris

SFeV

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
The screen of my Macbook Pro 2017 flashes when I wake it up from sleep. I first see the default background of Catalina which can also be seen, for about (1-2 seconds) when logging in and then the screen jumps to my own background. Do more people suffer from this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The screen of my Macbook Pro 2017 flashes when I wake it up from sleep. I first see the default background of Catalina which can also be seen, for about (1-2 seconds) when logging in and then the screen jumps to my own background. Do more people suffer from this?
I don't get that (2018 MBP 13"). Do you have FileVault turned on (I do)?

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
Sorry you are having so many issues, SomeSwede. I myself am having no issues with my testing of Catalina (both 10.15 and 10.15.1), as just about all my third party applications work fine. For searches, I use EasyFind instead of Spotlight, and it works well. Two of my critical applications, SuperDuper! and TechTool Pro, are not yet compatible with Catalina. SuperDuper! should be shortly, but it will take longer for TechTool Pro. Not an issue for me, as there is really nothing "earth shattering" in Catalina that I must have, and thus I am content to wait until either 10.15.2 or 10.15.3 is released. It depends on when the Catalina update for TechTool Pro is released. Meanwhile, Mojave is just fine as is.

I have always done a clean, fresh installation of a new Mac OS (or sometimes a new version within a current one), and that has consistently worked well. Of course, having SuperDuper! backups for both of my Macs makes that process smooth, painless, and error free. In fact, that is how I have been testing Catalina on an external SSD. That is, first, I use Disk Utility to Erase and Format that external SSD as APFS. Then I run the installer for Catalina, and install it onto that external SSD. Finally, as part of the installation, I am offered the opportunity to migrate/copy needed files, folders, apps, settings, etc. from a just completed SuperDuper! backup. When that completes, I can boot the respective Mac from that "Catalina" external SSD, and then perform testing.

I used to reformat the drive and start with a clean install instead of doing an in situ upgrade when each mayor release came out, from the public beta all the way to Mountain Lion (i skipped Lion), but the last six years every update has worked without any hinks so i have become a bit lazier i guess.

I should have done it the old way, and by the looks of it it looks like I'm in for a complete reinstall. I might give SuperDuper a shot, thanks for the tip.

Are you making backups to an external device? And if so, what software do you use for that process?

I only use Apple's time machine to an external drive.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
'Speech' has stopped working.
I press the defined keys (by me), but it speaks nothing!
Is this a bug? Anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.