Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
hi everyone, has anyone detected sudden logout without any warning? i installed high sierra on macpro 3.1, almost everything works fine but these logouts torment me. i have a nvidia gtx 750 ti graphics card and an old radeon 2600hd installed. does the same thing happen to anyone? the graphics card occasionally has artifacts and sometimes the text in the file names appears in a black background. Thanks for your suggestions. Has anyone installed the latest security update?006. thanks again from Italy.
I have an 2011 iMac, where I swapped the defective AMD graphics card for an NVIDIA GTX 765m. It still runs High Sierra natively but after the swap I noticed random logouts while surfing the web. It happens maybe once ever 2-3 weeks. I have not been able to reliably trace this behaviour to some specific cause...

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
It's not really a big deal at all, as online updates are still available for Tiger, which came out in 2005. And using APFS will allow all the updates to install perfectly on an unsupported machine.

macrumorspass

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Hi, I have a 3,1 MacPro (2x 2.8 Ghz cpu, 32 GB memory, Ati Radeon hd 5770 1 GB Gpu Mac Version, Ssd SanDisk boot drive and 3 x Sata HD (each 3TB) connected to a 27 inch Apple Cinema Display running Mac OS X 10.11.6. I would like to upgrade to High Sierra without change my GPU or loose WiFi connection (there is an Airport card with Broadcom bcm4321) with the help of dosdude tools. Is it an easy operation? The system and the apps will be stable like under El Capitan? Is it a recommended update? Thanks in advance for every suggestions.
ciao, i have a mac like yours, same ram. same model, I only had some problems with the old original radeon installed as a second video card. the mac was making sudden logouts, now that I have disabled the second video card, everything is fine. the primary video card is a nvidia 750 ti for pc, not flashed, wifi on external adaptor usb3, very fast.

ghulst

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
South West, NL
I have had High Sierra running on my MBP Mid-2009 for a while. However, the app store does not work and that gets old really quick when you need to close that warning every single time. :(

Is there a way to downgrade to Sierra?

Or should I push forwards and try Catalina?

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
It's not really a big deal at all, as online updates are still available for Tiger, which came out in 2005. And using APFS will allow all the updates to install perfectly on an unsupported machine.
Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave will get Supplemental and Security Updates, henceforth but NOT High Sierra, only XProtect and MRT will continue. Apple's unwritten three macOS rule.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I tried the patched High Sierra on my Mac Mini 3,1. It's slower to boot then El Cap, but it worked pretty well. One weird thing I noticed with HS though is that when I get to the log in screen, my USB mouse and keyboard don't work unless I unplug and plug back in the USB cable (I have the keyboard and mouse hooked up to my monitor which has USB hub functionality built in). Anybody else ever have this issue?

Reactions: K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
I tried the patched High Sierra on my Mac Mini 3,1. It's slower to boot then El Cap, but it worked pretty well. One weird thing I noticed with HS though is that when I get to the log in screen, my USB mouse and keyboard don't work unless I unplug and plug back in the USB cable (I have the keyboard and mouse hooked up to my monitor which has USB hub functionality built in). Anybody else ever have this issue?

Has the Patch Updater/Re-apply All - selection in the /Utilities ƒ been run recently?

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Has the Patch Updater/Re-apply All - selection in the /Utilities ƒ been run recently?
Yep, all patch updates have been applied.

Since making that post, I have discovered that the issue only happens when I restart. If I shutdown and then turn the Mini back on again, it doesn’t happen.

f_lambe

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Hi All!

I'm new here.

I follow the guide to install HighSierra on a old macbook 5,2 that I've previously upgraded to 4 GB RAM and a SSD. Everything went fine. I've updated to the latest version.
The only issue that I have is related to the trackpad: I know that there are some bugs, but I'm not able to use it normally: I mean no right click neither scrolling up/down. I've installed the partial trackpad patch from the patch updater. I've also did a SMC/NVRAM/PRAM reset.
Is this the normal behavior for my installation?

Thanks for your reply.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Hi All!

I'm new here.

I follow the guide to install HighSierra on a old macbook 5,2 that I've previously upgraded to 4 GB RAM and a SSD. Everything went fine. I've updated to the latest version.
The only issue that I have is related to the trackpad: I know that there are some bugs, but I'm not able to use it normally: I mean no right click neither scrolling up/down. I've installed the partial trackpad patch from the patch updater. I've also did a SMC/NVRAM/PRAM reset.
Is this the normal behavior for my installation?

Thanks for your reply.
Go here: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/ Under "Known Issues"

f_lambe

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Go here: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/ Under "Known Issues"
I've read about it, just wondering if what I get is what it should be. So no scrolling or right-click. (About the right click I found that a long pressure of the trackpad bar give the same result - maybe you already know about it, but for me is a good thing).

Using the system I found another issue: brightness is not adjustable. I'm not able to light up or down neither via keyboard key neither from system preferences/monitor: brightness. Is it normal?

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
I've read about it, just wondering if what I get is what it should be. So no scrolling or right-click. (About the right click I found that a long pressure of the trackpad bar give the same result - maybe you already know about it, but for me is a good thing).

Using the system I found another issue: brightness is not adjustable. I'm not able to light up or down neither via keyboard key neither from system preferences/monitor: brightness. Is it normal?
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brightness-slider/id456624497?mt=12 is the fix.

calcaire

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Hello all and big thanks to @dosdude1 !! I did install High Sierra on my 5,5 macbook pro from mid 2009 .. Everything works good so far except for final cut pro 10 ... I purchased it a long time ago and never could update it... I did upgrade to high Sierra because, with el Capitan, I was stuck with 10.3 version of fcpx , loosing lot of intersting features... Now I'm trying to get the last version avalaible for high Sierra on the APP Store but it keep stucked with a pop up window "would you like to download the last avalaible version", but after confirmation this pop up comes again and again and it looks that i can't download the 10.4.xx version that is compatible with HS... Dis somebody got through this problem ? I went downlaoding other app on the app store and it seems to work for the rest...

EDIT : had to delete the previous version to download the last compatible version . Everything fine .. Thx

Last edited:

Vruva

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2021
I tried installing High Sierra today on my macbook pro5,4, the installer was created without problems but when I choose it on the boot selection I get the "NO" symbol, disabled sip but no joy. Any help?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.