Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

janvier25

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Canada
well you guys can install this root certificate by downloading

works also on iOs, just tried my iPad 4 with 10.3.3, also by mail on iOs versions what refuse to open https from the letsencrypt site.

The letsencrypt site is protected with this certificate as well so download it before September, 30th or use another machine or set the date back.
This simple explanation worked for me.

MacRep

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Spain
Hello. I've been trying to solve the problem with the glitches with nVidia and HS...

Update1: After some investigation on the web, I've decided to install an older version of HS on my MacPro3.1. So I go for 10.13.1 to try if the system updates or the newer versions of HS was the cause of my glitches and issues with graphics. This failed too.

Update2:
Reading some topics on forums of the "parallel" Macintosh community some people speak about issues between the Intel graphics controllers installed on the HS by default: those create conflicts to some users with the nVidia web driver. So, I've decided to remove that extensions on the Library/Extensions folder... bad idea. When I've restarted the system the nVidia GPU does not show nothing on screen, so I had to replug the ATI video card to see what happened...

When back to HS, I've received a message on screen that system integrity was active and the system had no graphic acceleration. So, I decided to put the extensions back in place, with no success. The system becomes unstable and unusable. So I had to do a fresh install... again.

Questions:

Anybody have info about conflicts between Intel Graphics and nVidia controllers on pure Mac systems?
Anybody know how to remove graphic controllers leaving only the nVidia webdriver? Without damaging the system of course

Thanks!

KernkraftX360

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Hello. I've been trying to solve the problem with the glitches with nVidia and HS...

Update1: After some investigation on the web, I've decided to install an older version of HS on my MacPro3.1. So I go for 10.13.1 to try if the system updates or the newer versions of HS was the cause of my glitches and issues with graphics. This failed too.

Update2:
Reading some topics on forums of the "parallel" Macintosh community some people speak about issues between the Intel graphics controllers installed on the HS by default: those create conflicts to some users with the nVidia web driver. So, I've decided to remove that extensions on the Library/Extensions folder... bad idea. When I've restarted the system the nVidia GPU does not show nothing on screen, so I had to replug the ATI video card to see what happened...

When back to HS, I've received a message on screen that system integrity was active and the system had no graphic acceleration. So, I decided to put the extensions back in place, with no success. The system becomes unstable and unusable. So I had to do a fresh install... again.

Questions:

Anybody have info about conflicts between Intel Graphics and nVidia controllers on pure Mac systems?
Anybody know how to remove graphic controllers leaving only the nVidia webdriver? Without damaging the system of course

Thanks!
Same issue as me my graphics card only works on High Sierra, and not on Big Sur or Monterrey :(

MacRep

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Spain
(Post deleted, it’s a probably hardware problem, not a high Sierra one)
Well, the nVidia could be the primary suspect, but I would like to know why those glitches appears (Like in chrome, or in 3D modelling or with Unity or Unreal Engine)

Same issue as me my graphics card only works on High Sierra, and not on Big Sur or Monterrey :(
My problem is with High Sierra. You have no glitches or graphic problems on High Sierra? Which card do you have?

Thanks both! ;)

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Well, the nVidia could be the primary suspect, but I would like to know why those glitches appears (Like in chrome, or in 3D modelling or with Unity or Unreal Engine
Sorry, my post was about a different issue that I originally thought was related to high Sierra but unfortunately seems to be failing hardware

KernkraftX360

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Well, the nVidia could be the primary suspect, but I would like to know why those glitches appears (Like in chrome, or in 3D modelling or with Unity or Unreal Engine)

My problem is with High Sierra. You have no glitches or graphic problems on High Sierra? Which card do you have?

Thanks both! ;)
On High Sierra I have huge graphics glitch too without graphics acceleration on my Asus HD5450. It's still usable but pain to endure. Now it won't even boot on Monterrey.

MacRep

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Spain
On High Sierra I have huge graphics glitch too without graphics acceleration on my Asus HD5450. It's still usable but pain to endure. Now it won't even boot on Monterrey.
Did you applied the Post Install patch of @dosdude1 relative to the AMD video cards? Maybe that solve your glitch problems... My problems about nVidia glitches have no patch, till now

KernkraftX360

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
I have already applied, but discoloration occurs. And with graphics artifacts. I don't know what to do anymore. Maybe a change of video card is soon to be tried.

lanef300

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2021
Let me start by saying, Dosdude1, what an amazing piece of software you've written!

Upgrading my (4g, ssd) mid-2009, 15", MacBook Pro 5.3 from El Capitan to HS was really easy, the instructions super clear on your website, and quite intuitive as well.

I am really really thankful for all your work!

TL; DR: now the mbp is running quite hot, all the time.

I use this mbp sporadically, having two other laptops for work, but it's nice to have it at home, whenever some friends stay over and need a laptop, or I want to watch some movie in my bed. ElCap was running well, and it was cool as a cucumber considering the light use (tor, firefox, tidal, office).

But with the recent security certificates issues, and a few softwares not working anymore, I read the whole thread (I swear!), and upgraded. Super smooth, flawless, nothing to say.

Usb flash drive, run Dosdude1 installer, get HS 10.13.6, post-install patch, all good. Everything works, brightness, keyboard, etc.

Except...CPU temp now running a balmy 55°C at 90% idle.
Firefox open with a few tabs, we're now 7% system, 10-15% user, and the temperature is rising to 65/70.
If I watch a video, or have something else in the background, it rises to 90, and the fans are really audible.

Installed TG Pro to run the fans a bit sooner (worried about the overall computer, and it's really too hot for my lap).
I need the fans around 40/50% all the time to keep it below 60.

It's been a week, indexing is done.
I ran Onyx, nothing.
2 cmd lines later and all the safari/itunes/security updates are completed, nevertheless the mbp 5.3 is still warm, nothing new.
Made sure it's on the 9400m, not the 9600m.
SMC and nvram reset done (I think...), no change.

The gpu is cool, only the gpu proximity sensor temp is close to the CPU temp.
Of course I opened the laptop, and cleaned the fans (which were quite clean though).

Rarely will the cpu be taxed over 50%, and yet the temps keep rising.
It's quite understandable that running HS will require more CPU than ElCap. Still I haven't read anybody reporting higher temps.

Where did I go wrong?

Again, many thanks!

edit: I can't see anything in activity monitor that seems to be running a lot of cpu threads.
As well, starting/waking up, the temps will be around 30, jumping to 55 in a minute.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
@lanef300 :
12 years old - running warmer than it has in the past...?
One possible help will be to redo the CPU heat sync compound.
12 years likely means that heat sync "grease" is just less effective now.

lanef300

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2021
@lanef300 :
12 years old - running warmer than it has in the past...?
One possible help will be to redo the CPU heat sync compound.
12 years likely means that heat sync "grease" is just less effective now.

Excellent point, I should definitely do that; though it seems that as usual with apple, it's not that straightforward to disassemble. Thanks for reminding me!

On the other hand the laptop ran cold last week on ElCap, this week on HS, warm.

MacMini3.1

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
Trying to update to High Sierra via DosDude1's patch on a MacMini 3.1 with 8gb Ram and 1TB SSD.

Unfortunately I'm having a slight issue and am wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or knows the fix.

Everything goes exactly per DosDude1's YouTube video until after the restart. After restart, keyboard command + R no longer work and I can't get back into the installer to run the post install patches.

My questions is do I need to get my hands on a specific keyboard? I'm currently using an Apple A1644 Magic Keyboard with lightening cable. I'm trying to update a system running Snow Leopard (lots of issues and I don't have the install disk) and the keyboard doesn't connect without the cable. Would finding an older basic Mac USB keyboard work?

@dosdude1 grateful for your work on the High Sierra Patch. Haven't worked with mac's since early 2000 so I'm relearning here.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Trying to update to High Sierra via DosDude1's patch on a MacMini 3.1 with 8gb Ram and 1TB SSD.

Unfortunately I'm having a slight issue and am wondering if anyone else has had the same issue or knows the fix.

Everything goes exactly per DosDude1's YouTube video until after the restart. After restart, keyboard command + R no longer work and I can't get back into the installer to run the post install patches.

My questions is do I need to get my hands on a specific keyboard? I'm currently using an Apple A1644 Magic Keyboard with lightening cable. I'm trying to update a system running Snow Leopard (lots of issues and I don't have the install disk) and the keyboard doesn't connect without the cable. Would finding an older basic Mac USB keyboard work?

@dosdude1 grateful for your work on the High Sierra Patch. Haven't worked with mac's since early 2000 so I'm relearning here.
You'll need to boot off the USB installer drive again to apply patches, not the Recovery volume.

Reactions: K two

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Sounds like you need some additional EFI driver to boot into that key. It’s been a long time, but I remember for example that the early intel macs only booted from GPT partitions unless those EFI drivers were installed, if they were they happily booted from APM or MBR partitioned disks. Wish I remember how to reinstall those drivers...

MacMini3.1

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
Sounds like you need some additional EFI driver to boot into that key. It’s been a long time, but I remember for example that the early intel macs only booted from GPT partitions unless those EFI drivers were installed, if they were they happily booted from APM or MBR partitioned disks. Wish I remember how to reinstall those drivers...
Thanks for the feedback, @jackoverfull and @dosdude1 turns out I was able to correct the ID 10 T error and get the patches installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackoverfull

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Now that I have replaced my daughter's 2009 MacBookPro5,5 with a 2015 MacBookPro12,1, I have backed the MacBookPro5,5 back down from Catalina to High Sierra, and I'd have to say that I prefer High Sierra on this machine. Any glitches with software (eg. launching Chrome) are gone, and High Sierra feels more responsive. Plus it's nice to have the non-verbose boot back (on HFS+).

I'm gonna do the same with my wife's 2008 MacBook5,1, since I replaced hers with a 2017 MacBookAir7,2.

Now to figure out what to do with these two machines... I'll have three infrequently used Macs on High Sierra, the other being an iMac11,3 (which is fully supported on High Sierra, but which can't be easily upgraded beyond that).

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Now that I have replaced my daughter's 2009 MacBookPro5,5 with a 2015 MacBookPro12,1, I have backed the MacBookPro5,5 back down from Catalina to High Sierra, and I'd have to say that I prefer High Sierra on this machine. Any glitches with software (eg. launching Chrome) are gone, and High Sierra feels more responsive. Plus it's nice to have the non-verbose boot back (on HFS+).

I'm gonna do the same with my wife's 2008 MacBook5,1, since I replaced hers with a 2017 MacBookAir7,2.
The 2020-005 and 2020-006 Security Updates worked fine on the 2009 MacBookPro5,5. However, 2020-005 failed on the 2008 MacBook. The Night Shift patch was installed, which included the security update patch for 004, but that didn't help. What am I doing wrong?

The separately downloaded .dmg version won't install because it's not a supported machine. I didn't try to modify the installer.

Maybe I'll try Mojave on this machine instead, and keep the MBP5,5 on High Sierra (since it's all working great there).

flang

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
any reason
AirPort Extreme/Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.16)
or
Cambridge Silicon Radio Bluetooth card should have issues with the upgrade?
Both are OEM as far as I know.

flang

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
I did it. Woo hoo! Works well. Updated to 10.13.6, security update and ran the post app again. Good.
Only issue I've found so far is related to my Emby server that runs on the 3,1.
I doesn't show in a list of running apps in Finder, but does (of course) in Activity Monitor.
The is no menu bar presence of the app as it normally had been on my MM.
I can no longer see remote users of my Emby. NBD.

seanmccoye

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
Maybe I'll try Mojave on this machine instead, and keep the MBP5,5 on High Sierra (since it's all working great there).
(cross post sigh) Same Machine MBP5,5 as you EugW. I went with High Sierra after reading your words of wisdom.
End Result:
#1. Yeah dosdude1 youtube and FAQ's (no boot love from the 32gb stick yes from the 8gb)
#2. If you just want to repartition a single SL boot drive, boot from the DVD and run disk utility. Other methods were cranky.
#3. MDS_stores / Worker are gobbling mega resources while indexing. Should I nuke it?
#4. Snow Leopard felt like nix this... High Sierra feels commercial with sugar on top
#5. Next adventure macports.
#6. Ill run some stress tests and repost after MDS worker is killed or finished indexing.

MDS_stores /Worker was really annoying my spindle drive so elimination happened.

flang

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
FYI others running Emby server with dosdude1 HS patcher.
I am running HS on a MP3,1 via the dosdude1 patch app. Strictly verboten from Apples pov.

For some reason, security updates that Apple still issues (even though they have abandoned this version of the OS) seem to render the hack dumb where it comes to some element of network settings (above my pay grade).
And therefore Emby server is unhappy and unavailable outside your LAN.

After the security update I ran dosdude1 Post Patch app and cleared/rebuild caches as he requires.

Then Onyx as he suggests, from the patched boot drive.

Then DU from his Patch app USB drive (that you build to do the patch).
Then, for good measure, I rebooted my router. I'd rebooted only before with no success.

I connected via Emby app on my phone using cell network. Got right in.

I connected to Emby via the browser on my cell using the cell network and got right in as well.
I will have a remote friend log in later, but I think that's it.

Was all of it the fix or just one thing? Dunno. I doubt the router reboot did anything coz the IPs stayed the same and I'd tried it before.

I'm thinking Onyx from the Mac boot and DU from the Patcher boot stick that one makes to get to HS on this Mac.

YMMD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.