Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

vindicatifredo

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2017
hello from France
i have an issue when I install high Sierra with the dosdude1 method:
-all is ok with the beginning of the install,i do the post install then I reboot ,the process stop after a few second with a kind of gray wheel(like in kernel panic)
I think that the problem comes from my graphic card (ati hd 7870)
thank you in advance

Reactions: TimothyR734

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
hello from France
-all is ok with the beginning of the install,i do the post install then I reboot ,the process stop after a few second with a kind of gray wheel(like in kernel panic)
thank you in advance

Yep, I'm having the same problem with another aftermarket card. Hopefully support will come soon.

Don't suppose anyone managed to get a MacPro3,1 working with a Kepler-based GTX460

Carl Hauschke

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
I just installed High Sierra on my 2.4GHz Late 2008 MacBook (5,1) and had no issues thus far.
I heard some people having issues with the trackpad not being recognised correctly but mine works perfectly fine. I used NewCore 0.1 to install High Sierra and then had to install the LegacyUSBInjector.kext with a patched Sierra restore Disk as USB wasn't working on first boot.
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.48.08.png

thicla01

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2017
hello from France
thank you in advance

Same problem with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 bought from Apple. In the directory /Volumes/HD/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ there are several files that look like: WindowServer_2017-06-xxx.crash

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I just installed High Sierra on my 2.4GHz Late 2008 MacBook (5,1) and had no issues thus far.
I heard some people having issues with the trackpad not being recognised correctly but mine works perfectly fine. I used NewCore 0.1 to install High Sierra and then had to install the LegacyUSBInjector.kext with a patched Sierra restore Disk as USB wasn't working on first boot.
View attachment 704827
Interesting. It's the MacBook 2009 5,2 that has the issue with the trackpad (and brightness control) persisting from Sierra. The MacBook Pro 17" 4,1 2008 also lost its trackpad support with HS DP1.

Edit - fixed my 17" reference - to 4,1 from 4,2....type-o.

Last edited:

Carl Hauschke

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
Interesting. It's the MacBook 2009 5,2 that has the issue with the trackpad (and brightness control) persisting from Sierra. The MacBook Pro 17" 4,2 2008 also lost its trackpad support with HS DP1.

It looks like the MacBook 5,1 is having issues as well:
Installed it onto my MacBook 5,1 (8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB SSD)

Everyting works as it did in Sierra apart from not having any Trackpad Options.

No settings to make Tap to click to work or any of the multi finger gestures.

Was very straight forwarded to create a bootable USB using the Tool.

Love you work @dosdude1 & @foxlet
[doublepost=1497815874][/doublepost]Ditto for my MacBook5,1 setup with the 'dosdude1' HS patcher and "tap to click" -- a workaround is to use the third-party "MagicPrefs". It seems that to use this freebie app, setting the "One Finger Tap" pref to "Left Click" and "Two Finger Tap" to "Left Double Click" simulates this. What a thing for Apple to officially disable -- otherwise these venerable 2008 MacBooks are like Sherman tanks with an SSD.

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
HFS...

There is still no advancements in regard to make a clean install with APFS on unsupported macs yet, at least one that boots properlly... if you read about 2 pages back, you will find the answer to your question and a lot more.

Here I am downloading it onto a 2008 iMac
. Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 1.16.50 PM.png
And here I am with a 2008 iMac that is booting into macOS High Sierra with APFS

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 1.28.03 PM.png

Last edited:

Luigi222

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
@foxlet was kind to answer some of my questions with the folowing:

"""
There's two factors involved for boot, how long it takes for EFI to find the APFS disk, and how long it takes for the kernel (once loaded) to mount it inside the macOS system.

The first part (on an unsupported Mac) is done by newCore which is slower than the native Apple method that exists on the firmware of all updated Macs (and it's slower because it essentially does all the firmware modifications on every boot, rather than baking it into firmware). The EFI extensions, however, are from Apple, (and fully compatible with unsupported Macs) so kernel loading is similar speed once the disk is found.

Since there's no technical contest between both newCore and Apple, the second part of the video only concerns the difference after the kernel has started.

The second factor is up to macOS itself, modifications aren't involved. APFS itself involves extra containers and additional metadata that the kernel has to churn through before mounting the OS partition (as well as potential bugs), so compared to HFS that adds additional seconds before any of the relevant services have time to start.

Obviously it is a Developer Beta, so there's still some work left to go through before they are on par or faster. Also note that this only involves boot, once you get into the userland macOS, things are very snappy, more so than HFS!

Luigi222 said:
Oh ok, once again thanks for the explanation @foxlet. That explains a lot, and why you say we can only ( for now ) test APFS with dual system setup once you release your NewCore 0.2 tool.

So it's doesn't look too good that, if even you or another found a way for example to modify your paticular mac firmware model to boot APFS like a supported machine, this would not necessarily mean that it would work on other models right?

I do see a very positive thing here, like you said once the system is fully loaded on APFS, that the system usage is indeed faster :) that's very good to know!

@foxlet said:You don't need a dual system to boot APFS, Sierra is only required for installation (you can boot it externally and have a whole APFS disk that way). The APFS boot system itself runs off the ESP partition (hidden by default under macOS). Baking the needed extensions to firmware means that it has to be ported to every unsupported Mac, and that assumes every firmware ROM has enough space to fit the extra software.

"""

So we know for a fact that with @foxlet newcore 0.2 tool is released, it is in fact possible to install and boot APFS, installing it on a seperate partition using sierra for the installation... however the user in question was asking about a clean install, like we create a bootable disk with the os on it and can format the hardrive of the mac like we can do this moment with sierra patch tool of @dosdude1 sierra patcher...

Thats what I understood and thats why I wrote what I wrote.

Are you saying you have a new method @nandor690 ?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

garretts228

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
What wifi card would work for an iMac 8,1? I already have Sierra installed and now that I know High Sierra will be supported I would like to purchase the card and go ahead and prepare to abandon El Capitan. I googled the BCM94360CAX listed as supported under the 7,1 with no results on google. I just haven't found any firm info on which cards DO work and don't want to go wasting my money. Thanks.
[doublepost=1498031083][/doublepost]
Here I am downloading it onto a 2008 iMac
. View attachment 704926
And here I am with a 2008 iMac that is booting into macOS High Sierra with APFS

View attachment 704932
What wifi card are you using?

This is what I was looking at getting:https://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Ath...=UTF8&qid=1498031941&sr=1-1&keywords=661-5423

Last edited:

apriliars3

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
Madrid
View attachment 704827

I hace MacBook Late 2008 5.1 with Sierra

Some tutorial to install HiHg Sierra? Is the same to install Sierra? I don't understant how to use NewCore to install High Sierra.

Luigi222

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
I hace MacBook Late 2008 5.1 with Sierra

Some tutorial to install HiHg Sierra? Is the same to install Sierra? I don't understant how to use NewCore to install High Sierra.

If you just want to see and test it on your mac, I suggest you use @dosdude1 High Sierra patcher, here is the link http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/macOS High Sierra Patcher.zip ;

It works exactly like his macOS Sierra patcher, the only downside is you won't be able to use and test APFS, we are still waiting for NewCore 0.2 from @foxlet for that.

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
What wifi card would work for an iMac 8,1? I already have Sierra installed and now that I know High Sierra will be supported I would like to purchase the card and go ahead and prepare to abandon El Capitan. I googled the BCM94360CAX listed as supported under the 7,1 with no results on google. I just haven't found any firm info on which cards DO work and don't want to go wasting my money. Thanks.
[doublepost=1498031083][/doublepost]
What wifi card are you using?

This is what I was looking at getting:https://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Ath...=UTF8&qid=1498031941&sr=1-1&keywords=661-5423

This is the one I got. You also would need to get adapters for the antennas and an adapter for the card to fit into the socket on the iMac
https://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-Bcm94360cs-Bcm94360csax-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B00PDN4H9E

I explain in detail in this thread on what I did to upgrade a 2007 iMac I have
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...T9300+for+macOS+Sierra+install+Is+it+worth+it

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
Latest build still works, but upgrading under APFS was partially unsupported with the current APFSBoot, as the update relies on the previously unused Preboot/Recovery partition (as can be seen, that was fixed).

@foxlet saves the day again. AUS "cli" :) worked like a charm downloading Beta 2 with ease. A small hiccup as described above but the fix allows the installer to proceed from Preboot. Booting off of APFS is very smooth and well worth the "pain" of waiting for a few more seconds on startup. This may be placebo, but it seems like HS runs smoother, and I'm beating it up with Safari and Xcode as much as i can...

Things are looking good.

HSB2onAPFS.png

ncrispi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Latest build still works, but upgrading under APFS was partially unsupported with the current APFSBoot, as the update relies on the previously unused Preboot/Recovery partition (as can be seen, that was fixed).

3kg6PLw.png

Hey Foxlet,

If you need any testers for a newer version of New Core, I would be interested. I have a MacBook Pro 5,1

Xde

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
Hello all,
DP2 update failed on MacMini 3.1
I was out of the room, when I came back, the computer was shut down.
I restarted and got the "no system" sign. I started with the installer stick and did the post install. (dosdude)
But the partition don't want to start. I have a folder "MacOS install data".

Edit:
Okay, I started up with my general system, and selected the start volume again.
Now High Sierra has started. But I have still the folder "MacOS install data".
And System is 10.13 Beta (17A264c), I think it is still beta 1.
I will update all over, will see what happens...

Edit 2:
Same procedure. Download was okay, when doing restart, update bar shows up.
Finally restart and "no system" sign. Did postinstall again. Nothing.

Well, selected the start volume again, and again reboot in DP1.
Any advice? thanks everyone

Last edited:

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
@foxlet @dosdude1

Has anyone ever tried this for old wifi card:

Io80211family from 10.11.5
Broadcomfix kext http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/263533-broadcom-bcm4321-lion/#post_id_1864957

The instructions people were following that caused kernel panics used io80211family from like mountain lion which is a too different version to be stable.
Those instructions are here https://sites.google.com/site/osxyosemitewififix/

Can someone try my idea with the newer io80211family?
Yeah, I tried that... The El Capitan kext (for the BCM4321) refuses to load due to missing kernel symbols.

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
Yeah, I tried that... The El Capitan kext (for the BCM4321) refuses to load due to missing kernel symbols.
Even with the entire IO80211Family replaced? Then why does the one from that website work?

What are the missing symbols? (You could PM me if this is getting too off topic).

Even more off topic: I'm 90% done with patching the X1x00(finally!!!) driver to load in 10.8, 10.9 and maybe later 10.10, *without* replacing any part of OpenGL.framework. can you test it when I'm done?

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Even with the entire IO80211Family replaced? Then why does the one from that website work?

What are the missing symbols? (You could PM me if this is getting too off topic).

Even more off topic: I'm 90% done with patching the X3100(finally!!!) driver to load in 10.8, 10.9 and maybe later 10.10, *without* replacing any part of OpenGL.framework. can you test it when I'm done?
Woah, nice! Yeah, I can test that out for you... How in the world did you pull that off? Does it support full graphics acceleration?

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
Woah, nice! Yeah, I can test that out for you... How in the world did you pull that off? Does it support full graphics acceleration?
Sorry, I meant ATI X1300/1600/1900. X3100 is harder because the kexts have to be from 10.6.2 which has a much older API version. 7300GT also seems very likely to work. It does support full acceleration. It works as a library libLionGLDShim.dylib which is a "proxy" for ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver which adds blank implementations of some functions related to opencl so that libGfxShared does not ignore the driver completely. None of the other APIs changed in 10.8/10.9. This means that any programs that try to use opencl will crash, but who cares? The card doesn't support it anyway.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Sorry, I meant ATI X1300/1600/1900. X3100 is harder because the kexts have to be from 10.6.2 which has a much older API version. 7300GT also seems very likely to work. It does support full acceleration. It works as a library libLionGLDShim.dylib which is a "proxy" for ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver which adds blank implementations of some functions related to opencl so that libGfxShared does not ignore the driver completely. None of the other APIs changed in 10.8/10.9. This means that any programs that try to use opencl will crash, but who cares? The card doesn't support it anyway.
Ah, got it. Still, that will allow 10.9 (and possibly newer, as you mentioned) to run on 2006 MacBook Pros and iMacs, which is a huge benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.