Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
HS.png

mbpro 5,3 (15-inch, Mid 2009)

Using @foxlet newCore 0.1

Thanks guys.

dwnldr

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2016
Slovakia
I will be waiting for final High Sierra release, im not tester, but as i see, there should be no problem to install High Sierra regarding your work.

Compliments gentlemans for your work !

Just a small reactions. How is possible that AFPS is so much slower on unsupported macs ? Is this because of "external AFPS" support (not directly in EFI) or it is just because "beta" ?

Thank you, greetings

Reactions: TimothyR734

Luigi222

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Here's a comparison test between booting APFS and HFS+ on an unsupported Mac

:eek::eek::eek:

Well that's something I wasn't expecting at all o_O

Is it just because it's the first developer beta? And the they still need to tune the crap of the system for it to perform a hole lot better on APFS ? I mean at least for me it was like the main reason to even try High Sierra in the first place and now we find out it's slower than HFS ? Has anyone seen a video on YouTube or something similar to @foxlet 's test on a supported machine? Or does it preform like that because of the necessary " adjustments " to boot on a unsupported machine?

Apple even made a comparison in the Keynote highlighting how APFS was a lot faster :confused:

thanks for that video and work @foxlet :)

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Is that on a SSD or an HDD? APFS is not optimized at all for hdd yet.
Even so, it's the first developer beta. It's going to get better.

nandor690

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011

Is it just because it's the first developer beta? And the they still need to tune the crap of the system for it to perform a hole lot better on APFS ? I mean at least for me it was like the main reason to even try High Sierra in the first place and now we find out it's slower than HFS ? Has anyone seen a video on YouTube or something similar to @foxlet 's test on a supported machine? Or does it preform like that because of the necessary " adjustments " to boot on a unsupported machine?

Apple even made a comparison in the Keynote highlighting how APFS was a lot faster :confused:

I wouldn't be to worried about preliminary test. Its only the first developer beta

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016

There's two factors involved for boot, how long it takes for EFI to find the APFS disk, and how long it takes for the kernel (once loaded) to mount it inside the macOS system.

The first part (on an unsupported Mac) is done by newCore which is slower than the native Apple method that exists on the firmware of all updated Macs (and it's slower because it essentially does all the firmware modifications on every boot, rather than baking it into firmware). The EFI extensions, however, are from Apple, (and fully compatible with unsupported Macs) so kernel loading is similar speed once the disk is found.

Since there's no technical contest between both newCore and Apple, the second part of the video only concerns the difference after the kernel has started.

The second factor is up to macOS itself, modifications aren't involved. APFS itself involves extra containers and additional metadata that the kernel has to churn through before mounting the OS partition (as well as potential bugs), so compared to HFS that adds additional seconds before any of the relevant services have time to start.

Obviously it is a Developer Beta, so there's still some work left to go through before they are on par or faster. Also note that this only involves boot, once you get into the userland macOS, things are very snappy, more so than HFS!
[doublepost=1497281738][/doublepost]
Ouch! Is this on SSD or the original 5400rpm builtin drive.

It's on a PNY CS1311 SSD, running at SATA II speed.

Last edited:

Luigi222

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
There's two factors involved for boot, how long it takes for EFI to find the APFS disk, and how long it takes for the kernel (once loaded) to mount it inside the macOS system.

The first part (on an unsupported Mac) is done by newCore which is slower than the native Apple method that exists on the firmware of all updated Macs (and it's slower because it essentially does all the firmware modifications on every boot, rather than baking it into firmware). The EFI extensions, however, are from Apple, (and fully compatible with unsupported Macs) so kernel loading is similar speed once the disk is found.

Since there's no technical contest between both newCore and Apple, the second part of the video only concerns the difference after the kernel has started.

The second factor is up to macOS itself, modifications aren't involved. APFS itself involves extra containers and additional metadata that the kernel has to churn through before mounting the OS partition (as well as potential bugs), so compared to HFS that adds additional seconds before any of the relevant services have time to start.

Obviously it is a Developer Beta, so there's still some work left to go through before they are on par or faster. Also note that this only involves boot, once you get into the userland macOS, things are very snappy, more so than HFS!
[doublepost=1497281738][/doublepost]

It's on a PNY CS1311 SSD, running at SATA II speed.

Oh ok, once again thanks for the explanation @foxlet. That explains a lot, and why you say we can only ( for now ) test APFS with dual system setup once you release your NewCore 0.2 tool.

So it's doesn't look too good that, if even you or another found a way for example to modify your paticular mac firmware model to boot APFS like a supported machine, this would not necessarily mean that it would work on other models right?

I do see a very positive thing here, like you said once the system is fully loaded on APFS, that the system usage is indeed faster :) that's very good to know!

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Oh ok, once again thanks for the explanation @foxlet. That explains a lot, and why you say we can only ( for now ) test APFS with dual system setup once you release your NewCore 0.2 tool.

So it's doesn't look too good that, if even you or another found a way for example to modify your paticular mac firmware model to boot APFS like a supported machine, this would not necessarily mean that it would work on other models right?

I do see a very positive thing here, like you said once the system is fully loaded on APFS, that the system usage is indeed faster :) that's very good to know!

You don't need a dual system to boot APFS, Sierra is only required for installation (you can boot it externally and have a whole APFS disk that way). The APFS boot system itself runs off the ESP partition (hidden by default under macOS). Baking the needed extensions to firmware means that it has to be ported to every unsupported Mac, and that assumes every firmware ROM has enough space to fit the extra software.

MisterBiro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Orange, CA
For those of us still having issues with the backlight not working, I put together a small app which will set the backlight whenever the screen is unlocked.

This works for my specific use-case whereby the screensaver comes on and locks before the screen turns off.

I've tested this on my iMac 2009 (iMac 9,1), and it seems to work fine. The screen immediately brightens when you unlock.

This should also do the same thing when the screensaver is disabled (although I've not tested this).

I have a test version that should do the same thing on 'Wake', but it doesn't seem to always work, which is annoying.

When you first launch, it will set the screen brightness to 50%.

Please bear in mind that I'm not a Mac or iOS developer, so Objective-C is not my forte.

Edit 1:
* Updated to change brightness when the slider is slid, not just when you release the mouse.
* Updated to not allow a brightness of 0 (minimum is 10%, maximum is 95% as above or below that turn my backlight off).
* Attached source code, in case you want to modify. It's a very simple app, and it should be noted that prior to last night, my previous experience with Xcode was over 6 years ago. (And I wasn't and still am not a Mac or iOS developer)

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 8.50.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Backlight_v4.zip
    59.5 KB · Views: 775
  • Backlight_Source.zip
    78.7 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
For those of us still having issues with the backlight not working, I put together a small app which will set the backlight whenever the screen is unlocked.

cool!

1) can you post the code?
2) can you make 0% on slider not be 0 because then you can't see anything to change it
3) can you make it change when you MOVE the slider not just let go of the mouse?

Luigi222

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
You don't need a dual system to boot APFS, Sierra is only required for installation (you can boot it externally and have a whole APFS disk that way). The APFS boot system itself runs off the ESP partition (hidden by default under macOS). Baking the needed extensions to firmware means that it has to be ported to every unsupported Mac, and that assumes every firmware ROM has enough space to fit the extra software.

So best case scenario we better get used too a little longer boots :D but a snappier system usage ;)

Does that mean after we install high sierra on a APFS partition and have it up and running, we can delete the sierra partion? And unify the whole hardrive? Or Is that going to mess it up ?

Thanks for everything!

Last edited:

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Anyone with MacBook5,2! What is mean trackpad detected as a mouse? No trackpad configuration in System Preferences? Or just the multitouch gestures not working? So what's working on MB5,2's trackpad?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Heh...just for 5#it's and giggles, loading HS on my MB5,2. We'll see what else breaks (beyond the trackpad and brightness controls on Sierra).

Edit: Hmm. Hit an interesting race condition. Think they may have made some changes to 2FA. I was prompted on the Mac Mini (still running Sierra) to enter my iCloud password, on top of 2FA, to allow an iCloud login from the 5,2 MacBook. Then it told me my iCloud account was locked out and forced me to change my iCloud password.
....and the iCloud login is still having issues on the 5,2 - still have in iCloud Settings under preferences - Update Apple ID Settings - Some account services require you to sign in again - even though I have..... buggy.

Also, no battery indicator here on the 5,2, as with my 4,1 (but, for some reason Czo does have it on his 4,1.....weird). :)

So everyone's aware - have HS on my MBP 4,1 as well as (now) this MB 5,2 with Sierra still on my Mac Mini. Heh. Now I'll boot up the MBP 4,1 to see what the status of its iCloud connection is... :)

Last edited:

thewebgal

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Okay, swapped the OWC 240Gig Electra 3 SSD for a 480 Gig Electra 6 SSD last night & restored to 10.12.5 via Time machine overnight. So, I've got plenty of room on "Macintosh HD" now!
Have not seen an option for downloading the HS beta in the App Store yet - will keep looking for it.

My system is an Unsupported (Early 2009) MacPro patched to 5,1 and upgraded last year with faster processors, more memory, Video card upgrade, etc.
But no room to spare on my current "boot drive" ...
so I've ordered a larger SSD and will clone my system onto that
before doing the upgrade to High Sierra beta.
View attachment 703318

I'll keep reading - and, thanks for all you do here!
Cheers!

Brale

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2016
Anyone with MacBook5,2! What is mean trackpad detected as a mouse? No trackpad configuration in System Preferences? Or just the multitouch gestures not working? So what's working on MB5,2's trackpad?

Right click doesnt work. You have to use Option + Click on trackpad.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Well, I think the race condition was caused by the low RAM situation with the 5,2 - took the 4GB out (gave it to a friend for his mini) and dropped it down to the original 2GB a bit ago. The iCloud setup just has too much churn for this little machine. It did eventually sort itself out.
No change to the brightness control / trackpad issues on the 5,2 with HS - they persist (as expected). The system is very noticeably slower on DP1 than on Sierra. Apps take longer to load. (and it's running on an SSD, not the original 5400RPM spinner).

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Essentially, the trackpad on the MacBook 5,2 is not detected as a trackpad by the system, it is only detected as a regular USB mouse. Because of this, you cannot change settings for the trackpad, such as enabling 2-finger right click.

MisterBiro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Orange, CA
cool!

1) can you post the code?
2) can you make 0% on slider not be 0 because then you can't see anything to change it
3) can you make it change when you MOVE the slider not just let go of the mouse?

1) Yes. Note: I'm not a Mac or iOS developer and before last night, I haven't used Xcode for 5+ years
2) Sure. On my iMac '0' just turns off the backlight, but not the actual display. Regardless, minimum is now 10%
3) Yes. Done.

Edit: I updated the original post with an updated version and the source code. You can see the bit for capturing sleep notifications which is currently commented out.

ReneR

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Perhaps it detects how much drive space you have free and downloads one or the other. My iMac downloaded only the 7.8 MB installer, but the Retina MacBook Pro has more space free and it's currently downloading the full 5.26 GB.

It is definitely not free space, I have 300GB of it, and I get this annoying 5MB installer shell.
I thought ok, maybe file vault encryption, so it can load it directly, disabled it, but no, still get the stupid 5MB installer shell.

I'm right now in Spain without a high bandwidth internet connection. I could download it in 5h or so, but the 5MB shell installer thing has no pause or resume function. I tried 20 times, if it would be a regular download I would long downloaded it 5 times over, ... !!!

One thought: maybe Apple is giving people who ever logged in with a VMWare macos or mackintosh this installer shell thing to make it more annoying / difficult to create an install image?

thewebgal

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Installed it late yesterday afternoon. Checked back an hour later and found it was caught in a loop where it kept restarting. (Kernel panic?) After 5 restarts, I forced a restart from a Sierra USB drive and restored the system from a 5PM TimeMachine backup.
Working fine as 10.12.5 again - I'll try again another time.

Okay, swapped the OWC 240Gig Electra 3 SSD for a 480 Gig Electra 6 SSD last night & restored to 10.12.5 via TimeMachine overnight. So, I've got plenty of room on "Macintosh HD" now!
I'll keep reading - and, thanks for all you do here!
Cheers!

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It is definitely not free space, I have 300GB of it, and I get this annoying 5MB installer shell.
I thought ok, maybe file vault encryption, so it can load it directly, disabled it, but no, still get the stupid 5MB installer shell.

I'm right now in Spain without a high bandwidth internet connection. I could download it in 5h or so, but the 5MB shell installer thing has no pause or resume function. I tried 20 times, if it would be a regular download I would long downloaded it 5 times over, ... !!!

One thought: maybe Apple is giving people who ever logged in with a VMWare macos or mackintosh this installer shell thing to make it more annoying / difficult to create an install image?
You're right, it isn't just determined by free space. The download got stuck on the MacBook Pro and I had to cancel, trying again resulted in only the 7.8 MB installer app.

When I tried yet again AFTER I had successfully installed Sierra, then I was finally able to download the full one.

As someone who keeps offline backups of every Mac App Store major OS X version (easy to install whichever one I need), I definitely find this change to be a bit of an annoyance. Would be nice to be guaranteed the full installer instead of the bare one.

Also wonder if anyone has tried createinstallmedia with the 7.8 MB installer app. Does it download the OS portion or simply fail to work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.