Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

filipe.esposito

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Following @foxlet instructions... everything is working fine on my MacBook Pro 13" mid 2009.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 08.12.22.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 08.12.22.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 846

eurasian

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017

La información del instalador del servidor de la recuperación está dañada.

The recovery server installer information is corrupted.
[doublepost=1496960516][/doublepost]Tutorial for dummies, It would be a great help :(

Reactions: TimothyR734

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Now why am I not surprised my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini will be able to run High Sierra? But I won't be dealing with the beta though; I'm going to wait until it's officially released this fall.
As for my MacBook, I tried the unsupported Sierra install, but it wasn't working out, so I went back to El Capitan on it. But now I'm working on saving up for a 2011-2012 13" MacBook Pro, so I can use the latest software and have a more powerful Mac notebook when I am going to college again in the fall.

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Looking through the feature list, the new native FLAC playback in the OS (and currently used by Quicklook and Quicktime) works perfectly on unsupported Macs, although Album Art is still not implemented:

u4PMHgI.png

HEVC software decoding also works for MacBookPro5,5, although I would imagine certain unsupported Macs with the proper GPUs could also decode via hardware.

Last edited:

RafaelMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
Netherlands (Dutch)
Now why am I not surprised my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini will be able to run High Sierra? But I won't be dealing with the beta though; I'm going to wait until it's officially released this fall.
As for my MacBook, I tried the unsupported Sierra install, but it wasn't working out, so I went back to El Capitan on it. But now I'm working on saving up for a 2011-2012 13" MacBook Pro, so I can use the latest software and have a more powerful Mac notebook when I am going to college again in the fall.

On the apple site it shows this..
3. Planned for spring 2018. So might not be this fall

filipe.esposito

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
Olá Filipe, quais instruções você seguiu? Gostaria de tentar também, já que tenho o mesmo modelo do seu. Além disso, você sabe me dizer se copiar/colar arquivos agora está realmente rápido? Obrigado!!

Fast copy and paste is an APFS feature. I don't used on my installation, so...

Last edited by a moderator:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I just updated Sierra Patcher to work with 10.13. Due to the glitches with the 10.13 installer, I used @foxlet's idea of using the El Capitan installer as a base, and just replacing the packages with those from High Sierra. As such, BaseSystem.dmg from El Capitan is included with the application, making the download quite large (~477MB). This is a temporary solution, and will be improved over time. In the meantime, it does indeed work, and can be downloaded from here. The process is exactly the same as with macOS Sierra patcher.

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
2ewzqrz.png

newCore App Beta
An unsupported Mac installer for High Sierra. Installs High Sierra from inside macOS or an USB disk, with no working system required. NightEnabler also integrated.

Limitations

• APFS installations are supported only when installed using macOS Sierra
  • Only HFS+ installations are supported in USB disk mode
RvSaL0c.png

Download
Version 0.2 (GUI): Link Available Soon.
Version 0.1 (Terminal Alpha): http://repo.furcode.co/macOS/HighSierra-10.13/NewCore-Installer.tgz
SHA1 = ca23473bca1f7c97cdf7de2c7105383d25e8ecdb

Guides
Version 0.1 Guide

Last edited:

fabiojuniorr

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I just updated Sierra Patcher to work with 10.13. Due to the glitches with the 10.13 installer, I used @foxlet's idea of using the El Capitan installer as a base, and just replacing the packages with those from High Sierra. As such, BaseSystem.dmg from El Capitan is included with the application, making the download quite large (~477MB). This is a temporary solution, and will be improved over time. In the meantime, it does indeed work, and can be downloaded from here. The process is exactly the same as with macOS Sierra patcher.

Thats great news! Will I have to erase the whole disk in order to get APFS working (with that new super fast copy and paste) or the update process will do the trick itself? Also, do you know where I can download the macOS High Sierra installer? Needed to remind that I'm not a dev... Thanks a lot for the hard work!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Thats great news! Will I have to erase the whole disk in order to get APFS working (with that new super fast copy and paste) or the update process will do the trick itself? Also, do you know where I can download the macOS High Sierra installer? Needed to remind that I'm not a dev... Thanks a lot for the hard work!
This doesn't support APFS, but @foxlet appears to be in the process of creating a method that does.

filipe.esposito

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2016
2ewzqrz.png

newCore App Beta
An unsupported Mac installer for High Sierra. Installs High Sierra from inside macOS or an USB disk, with no working system required.

Limitations

• APFS installations are supported only when installed using macOS Sierra
  • Only HFS+ installations are supported in USB disk mode
RvSaL0c.png

Download
Link Available Soon.

So, this "Install in macOS"... means that I will be able to upgrade my actual working Sierra to 10.13 with APFS? Interesting.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Appears we'll need to do some tweaks for the trackpad on the MBP 4,1 - not seen as a trackpad on High Sierra.

Other than that, @dosdude1's updated installer worked well (formatted the partition - installer complained the existing Sierra install had to be upgraded before High Sierra could be installed).

Edit: HS also won't allow me to add the battery status to the menu bar (immediately clears the box).

Last edited:

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
macOS High Sierra on unsupported Macs

4lxKiPF.png

For the first time since OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) in 2012, macOS Sierra (10.12) changed the official minimum requirements needed for installation, leaving many older (but still perfectly capable) Macs behind. Now macOS High Sierra (10.13) brings a new set of updates, and older Macs that can possibly run them.

• MacBook (late 2009 or later)
  • iMac (late 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Air (2010 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2010 or later)
  • Mac mini (2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later)
I missed something. Requirements changed with Sierra and it looks like there is no change for HS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.