Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
It's the end of an era: Final Cut Express 4.0 doesn't work on MacOS High Sierra. Sounds like they officially want the prosumer Mac video editors to switch to Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere Pro. (But for those who don't want to spend a lot, Adobe Premiere Elements gives you a lot of video editing power for $100, certainly a lot more so than iMovie!)
But besides that, yesterday I installed High Sierra onto my 2012 quad-core Mac Mini, and onto my late 2009 white MacBook (upgraded with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB solid state drive), and they work pretty well. The only real difference I noticed so far was with the Photos app, but I caught on quickly with the editing.

Last edited:

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Issues editing wiki post so:

Works:

Corel Aftershot3 (3.3.024) This version is 64bit.
Syncios (1.0.8)

Does not work:

Boom2, after the upgrade it is no longer activated and says trial expired. Unable to register Boom2. Spinning beachball and 98% CPU usage if try to register it.

also unable to hide items at login via preferences.
Unable to tick the boxes.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
The Access Virus TI is not working properly anymore. Every 10 minutes I have to restart it because the sound turns into a loud beep. I am probably not the only one with this issue. On Windows 10 it works fine.

rgilvert

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2016
Davinci Resolve Studio (with Dongle) does NOT WORK.
Dongles are not recognized
[doublepost=1506513056][/doublepost]FCPX with two 5K LG screens in clamshell mode on a MacBook Pro 15" 4Gb GPU crashes when both monitors are in use

crypto7

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
Does boot camp work in this build?
I updated 10.12.6 to 10.13 on my external USB last night (not the 10.12 on the internal SSD yet that's installed alongside Win 10) and merely tried to download the Boot Camp drivers ("WidnowsSupport" folder) and it said "Unknown error saving to this location".

Switched to a destination on my internal SSD macos 10.12.6 install; same thing. I had not rebooted since the installation, but I had to go to work so I shut it down and will try again tonight... after all the ****ery i had to go through with 10.12 and my boot camp partition (which, btw, is how i ended up using an external USB SSD as my primary OS drive in the FIRST PLACE...) this is not a good first sign. I just want new Windows 10 drivers, assuming they are new... but the BC Asst should be a new build b/c it's supposed to be APFS-aware.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
a few reports (incl mine) of harmless logon items mysteriously being removed from the user list with no warning. not cool..

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
^^^^I paid $56.99 for the Home and Business edition. Thought that was a GREAT deal. It's legitimate, the license goes to Microsoft and you can download directly from Microsoft. However I chose to download the program first and apply the license once installed. I bought my license here:

https://retinaelectronics.com/products/office-2016-for-mac-home-business

BTW, MS announced Office 2019 this morning. Coming out in late 2018.

Lou
Wow, what did you do to get that price? It shows as $69.99 from the same link for me.

Reactions: arefbe

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
It's a pretty decent sized list and contains a wide swath of apps, from Apple Pro apps to M$ Office 2011. Feel free to add to the list.

https://blog.macsales.com/42416-apps-with-known-high-sierra-compatibility-issues

There’s nothing like the release of a new operating system to put apps to the test. Unsurprisingly, some Rocket Yard readers have reported that specific apps are not playing well with High Sierra. Here’s our current list, and please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of the post with information on any apps you may have that don’t work properly with High Sierra installed. (Related: Common Problems During and After macOS High Sierra Installation)

Apple Apps
Would you believe that some Apple apps need to be updated to a new version to work properly with macOS High Sierra? While the iWork apps (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers), built-in apps (Mail, Safari, etc…) and iLife (iMovie, Photos, GarageBand, etc…) apps are working well with High Sierra, the Pro apps need to be updated to the latest versions. Here are links to the Mac App Store where the latest version can be found:

Adobe Apps
Adobe suggests that any Creative Cloud versions of its apps be updated to the latest version (this is generally a good practice anytime updates are available). Most ‘CC apps’ should run smoothly with High Sierra, but some issues have been reported, in particular with Illustrator CC 2017 and InDesign CC 2017.

Illustrator suffers from multiple issues, one of which can cause installation and application launch failures; others have workarounds. InDesign suffers from cursor corruption issues, which may vary in frequency or severity depending on hardware. Photoshop has an issue related to Full Screen usage but Adobe has already supplied a file that can be downloaded and installed to fix it. For all Adobe-related issues, please visit their official support pages for the latest information.

For CS6 and earlier versions of the suite, the best information we have is that they are not officially supported with 10.13. They may install and work properly or they may not, but in any case no updates are likely to be provided.

Microsoft Office
Screenshot-0145.png
As noted in an earlier report on macOS High Sierra, Office 2011 is not supported in High Sierra. While some of the apps may still work, there is a good chance they will not based on the information we’ve seen. Note also that Microsoft will no longer support Office 2011 after October 10, 2017, so if you would like to continue using an officially supported version, your only option will be to upgrade to Office 2016 (version 10.35 or higher — current version as of this writing is 15.38).

You can check the version number for Office 2016 by opening any of the apps (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc…) and selecting the “About Excel/Word/…” item from the app menu (see screenshot at right).

Microsoft Auto Update was also reported as having some issues.

Summary of Apps with Verified Compatibility Issues as of 9/27/2017

• Wacom tablet drivers: 10.13-aware drivers not available until late October. This could impact many Creative Suite users.
  • Adobe Illustrator CC 2017 (serious – fix likely to require application update)
  • InDesign CC 2017 (variable – fix likely to require Apple update)
  • Photoshop CC 2017 (minor – Adobe fix available now)
  • CS6 and earlier suites: as far as we know, none are officially compatible with 10.13. No further fixes or updates likely.
  • Affinity Photo – should work but no official statement yet
  • Affinity Design – should work but no official statement yet
  • Final Cut Pro X – 10.3.4 or later
  • Motion – 5.3.2 or later
  • Compressor – 4.3.2 or later
  • Logic Pro X – 10.3.1 or later
  • MainStage – 3.3 or later
  • Apps from previous versions of Final Cut and Logic Studio are not compatible. They include: DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Color, Cinema Tools, WaveBurner, Studio Instruments, Studio Effects, Apple Loops, Apple Loops Utility, Impulse Response Utility
  • Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) 4 – limited support only
  • CCC5 – fully supports 10.13; this version should be used in a mixed volume (HFS+ and APFS) environment.
  • Disk Warrior 5 – Will run on the OS but APFS volumes not yet supported. (Disk Warrior 4 stopped working with 10.11).
  • MS Office 2011 – not supported and MS will end all official support 10/10/17.
  • MS Offie 2016 – versions 15.35 and later only
  • FileMaker Pro – if you are using version 14 or earlier, check with FileMaker before upgrading to macOS 10.13.
  • 1 Password – version 6 or later
Other Apps Reported to Have Issues as of 9/27/2017

• Airfoil for Mac
  • Audacity
  • Audio Hijack
  • Autodesk AutoCAD 2017
  • Bear
  • beaTunes
  • Civilization V
  • CodeWeavers CrossOver (and any apps that use it)
  • DiskWarrior 5.0 (does not support APFS; should work properly on any High Sierra device that has not been converted to APFS)
  • FileMaker Pro 11.0.4 and earlier
  • Firefox
  • Intego Backup Manager Pro
  • Intego FileGuard
  • Intego Internet Security Barrier X6
  • Intego NetBarrier X5/X8
  • Intego Personal Antispam
  • Intego VirusBarrier 10.7.3/Express/Plus
  • Loopback
  • Mailplane
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac
  • nvALT
  • OnyX (High Sierra version is under development)
  • Path Finder
  • Snapz Pro X
  • Sophos AV
  • SuperDuper!
  • TechTool Pro
Users Who Might Want to Think Twice Before Upgrading

• All users heavily dependent upon Wacom tablets for their work or computer use
  • Illustrator CC 2017 users
  • InDesign CC 2017 users
  • Users of earlier versions of Creative Suite (CS6 or earlier) who don’t plan on changing that setup
  • MS Office 2011 users who don’t plan to upgrade to a free office suite, G Suite, or Office 2016 15.35 or later
  • Carbon Copy Cloner v4 or earlier users who don’t plan to upgrade to version 5.
  • Disk Warrior users
  • Anyone using older versions of the Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio who doesn’t want to move up to Final Cut Pro X apps or Logic Pro X apps.
As noted earlier, please let us know if you run into any compatibility issues with your favorite Mac apps by leaving a comment below. In addition, if you hear about a new version of any of the apps listed here that resolves High Sierra compatibility issues, please comment as well.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
oh crap no office 2011? I really need that!
That's interesting information because I upgraded my 2012 i5 2.5Ghz Macbook Pro 13" with High Sierra yesterday and I haven't seen any issues so far using Microsoft Office 2011 Home and Business for Mac updated with version 14.7.7 . Make sure you have MS Office for Mac and the MS Office for Mac Updater program running with the latest updated versions installed.

There are no guarantees when MS ends support for a version of Office and it's recommended you do a full time machine backup or other backup of your current version of Sierra before updating to High Sierra. I'm hoping MS Office 2011 H&B is good at least through High Sierra and it's updates. MS Office 2016 for Mac wasn't released that long ago and MS has continued working bugs out for this past year.

Last edited:

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Can anyone say for certain whether Office 2008 works in High Sierra? I don't care if the installer fails (it failed in Sierra). I just want to know if a pre-existing installation upgraded to High Sierra will continue to run.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
will do... and good to know it still works :)
It could be that previously installed and updated with the latest MS Office 2011 version(s) will work but it's likely that not all previous MS Office 2011 installer packages support installation on High Sierra. Don't quote me on this but I am guessing that by MS officially saying that MS Office for Mac 2011 doesn't support High Sierra it gets their support off the hook from any responsibility for Mac users who try to do an install of old versions of Office on High Sierra or later MacOS.

Last edited:

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I just realized most of the reports of Scrivener 2.x and VMW Fusion 8.x not working come from Beta users in June. It is now September, High Sierra final version has been released, and they BOTH work.

I added Scrivener 2.8.1.2; it opens the file but the documents are shown in a small window in the lower left corner of the screen. Makes it impossible to edit. Oddly, full screen mode will show the document and can be edited, but the app crashes within minutes. This is sort of depressing as I use Scrivener a lot. I may need to see how a Time Machine restore goes. (I backed up prior to the install of High Sierra.) But I'll wait it out for a week or two and see if there are other updates from either macOS or Scrivener (not likely) and just use something else to write for the moment.

I ran Microsoft Update for Office 2016 and checked the Insider Preview box and it updated all of office to 15.36. Now Outlook works again.

Converted my Scrivener manuscript to Storyist 3.4.3 and that works. Yay!

It works for me. I do not have this problem at all.

VMware fusion pro not working at all

It works for me.

Funny....VMWare Fusion is working OK for me on a rMBP late 2013 running Fusion 8.5.7. Tried a Win7 and a Win10 vm without any problems.

Me too, without any problems at all.

VMware Fusion 8.5.8 work? That is, can I upgrade to 10.13 and VMware will open and boot my Windows 10 virtual machine? I need it for work, so can't risk the upgrade - I read I may need to wait until next month when the new VMware Fusion version comes out

A sizeable chunk of my income also depend from this, and I can report Fusion 8.x DOES WORK with high sierra.

Can anyone say for certain whether Office 2008 works in High Sierra? I don't care if the installer fails (it failed in Sierra). I just want to know if a pre-existing installation upgraded to High Sierra will continue to run.

Excel 2008 does indeed work. I haven't had time to test the rest of the suite.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Office 2011 is a 32 bit. Starting in January Apple is going to start depreciating 32 bit apps. It's likely that Office 2011 will be one of the first to stop working.
You think Apple is going to start disabling programs installed and working in High Sierra with it's updates in January?

If true I hope they are ready for the subsequent backlash, outcry and gnashing of teeth. MS Office for Mac 2011 was still being sold in 2015 or only two years ago. In July of 2015 Microsoft released the final version of Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac. This would be a horrible outcome for Office for Mac 2011 owners unless there is a working solution.

Actually what I read was Apple will not allow 32 bit programs to be available for download from the official Apple Store. That's quite different than having High Sierra updates disabling 32 bit programs already installed and working on people's systems running High Sierra. Maybe someone can post information to confirm or I guess we will find out.

Last edited:

jasminetroll

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Indianapolis
In the latest (15.39) version of Excel, new workbooks open with missing column headers, and with row headers displayed upside-down (see attached), but the problem corrects itself as soon as you scroll.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 1.18.11.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 1.18.11.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 248
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.