Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Tenaliraman

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Dubai
Doesn't matter if you think so. That's straight from Apple.

Apple initially recommended not to backup APFS disks since Time Machine wouldn't work. However, after the release of High Sierra, it works perfectly fine with the existing (Sierra) Time Machine backup disk.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
The latest Quicksilver 1.5.6 doesn't work for me. There's no "works with issues" designation on the first post, but I'd put into that category if possible. For me, it is hanging frequently when I type a search and will freeze with partial text in the box before crashing silently (ie: no window pops up indicating a crash, the process just terminates in the background.) I am indeed using APFS as well on my 1TB flash drive.

I'm running 1.5.5 (on 2017 MBP), and have noticed no issues at all. Can you roll back to that?

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Playback in kodi 17.4 is a bit jerky.

Reading files off a HFS+ HDD from a APFS SSD, but no problems doing so with VLC

Last edited:

ZWN88

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Thank you. I appreciate your help. In our country, Canon LBP 2900 is still most popular B/W laser printer because of its durability and recycled cartridge. I bought it three years ago and used with MacBook Air with the help of custom patcher/driver. After upgrading to Mac OS High Sierra Beta version , the patcher/driver didn't work at all and I can't use my LBP printer. Now, with your help, I can use my LBP again. It saved me 100 dollars plus. I don't need to buy new printer. Thanks again.
[doublepost=1506741971][/doublepost]
WOW ! I just managed to get my 16 year old Canon A3 format B/W ( LBP-1610 ) laser printer ( non postscript ) printing in the last High Sierra Beta 17A360a.

I bought this printer in Feb. 2001 in Japan ( I live in Japan ) it has been a real workhorse for my English school here.

Canon sells replacement cartridges for ¥29,490 ( US $263 ! ) . . but in the past 16 years I have only bought one one recycled cartridge for around US $50 and I get toner shipped from the US which comes with a handy tool to burn a hole in the cartridge to add toner - the toner package comes with a nice plug for the hole too.

The first time I ever used this printer was in Mac OS 9.2.2 !

In Mavericks 10.9.5 I discovered by accident and despair that an old, original Canon original driver for Leopard 10.5 allows installation in Mavericks and actually works perfectly without any hacking at all. Not so in any OS X release higher than Mavericks.

I scoured the internet and came up with this solution but bear in mind that you must FIRST have a printer driver that will allow you to install it in High Sierra. ( I'm using a driver designed for Leopard in High Sierra ! ).

My solution for my Laser printer

============================
1. DELETE the currently installed printer from System Prefs/ Printers

2. Re-install the driver but do not yet add it to your available printers list.
Disconnect the printer's USB cable.

3. Repair permissions up to OS X Mavericks ( Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra do not have “Repair Permissions “ in Disk Utility ) .

4. Start Terminal and enter these commands

sudo sh -c 'echo "Sandboxing Relaxed" >> /etc/cups/cups-files.conf'

and . . .

sudo launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd

5. Connect the printer and NOW “ADD” the printer to your available printers list.

Good luck.

=============================
Obviously the solution involves changing the way OS X handles CUPS.

I haven't tried this solution in Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra (I don't like El Capitan at all ). and I have no idea how this will work with other branded lasers or inkjet printers but it is certainly worth a try. If your printer is still working but has no updated drivers . . . save $$$$$$$ or ¥¥¥¥¥¥

Reactions: MIKX

Soundman1488

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Premiere Pro CC 2017 lags significantly and freezes entirely when my MBP (late ‘13) is hooked to an external monitor. Today I went to export a project and it crashed the app every time. PP also crashes when you try to render anything in the timeline. Tried turning off graphics switching, no help. I copied the project to another MBP (late ‘12 non Retina) that is running OSX Yosemite and CC 2017 and the project rendered and exported with no problems.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Moved Lightroom 5.7 from works to does not work. None of my photos are accessible - Getting error message then crash.

UPDATE: Now working (fixed) after plist deleted

Last edited:

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
A quick note regarding Photoshop CS6. Although it works with High Sierra running on APFS, it still requires a scratch disk that is formatted in HFS+. I have no idea if Adobe will issue an update that allows CS6 to use an APFS drive as the scratch disk.

anirudh0802

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Really frustrated with the new High Sierra update. Lightroom 6.3 WILL NOT START. It keeps crashing. Late 2013 MBP.

Anyone have any fixes?

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Really frustrated with the new High Sierra update. Lightroom 6.3 WILL NOT START. It keeps crashing. Late 2013 MBP.

Anyone have any fixes?
If you need an app, you should never blindly update. People have been saying for months that this update breaks certain apps.

Blakely028

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Scotland
Hi I upgraded to High Sierra yesterday and now Chrome has got rid of all my saved passwords!

I've tried saving my passwords again but Google Chrome isn't storing them?

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Just added GarageBand 3rd party plugins (Audio units) to the not-working list. Shows an orange "!" over top of the name, and says it can't see any loaded plugin, even though it's in there...

Plugins don't work either in Garageband or Logic Pro (tried both.)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Just added GarageBand 3rd party plugins (Audio units) to the not-working list. Shows an orange "!" over top of the name, and says it can't see any loaded plugin, even though it's in there...

Plugins don't work either in Garageband or Logic Pro (tried both.)

which plugins? no such problem here, on 10.13.1 public beta 1 (or, in fact, any of the betas leading up to 10.13); worth exploring, something's up with your setup.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012

Anyone have any fixes?
Not sure if same problem but I got LR 5.7 to work again after I deleted plist from library preferences folder

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
which plugins? no such problem here, on 10.13.1 public beta 1 (or, in fact, any of the betas leading up to 10.13); worth exploring, something's up with your setup.

Unless it's just these particular third party plugins (I'm pretty sure I said "third party" in the description), I tried installing an 8-bit plugin called Plogue, and the Mac app Tonebridge Guitar Effects recently got the ability to just come up in Garageband as a plugin (rather than to have to run the app separately), and both worked great in Sierra.

I'd say you might be onto something, except that I did a full clean install on my system - both Plogue and Tonebridge install and run as individual apps, but when I try to get them working as Audio Units in GB or Logic Pro, they get that exclamation point over their names, *even though they come up in the AU list*...

It's really weird.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I'm finding Firefox 56 to be glitchy. It takes a long time to quit and occasionally on opening I'm seeing graphical anomalies.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Unless it's just these particular third party plugins (I'm pretty sure I said "third party" in the description), I tried installing an 8-bit plugin called Plogue, and the Mac app Tonebridge Guitar Effects recently got the ability to just come up in Garageband as a plugin (rather than to have to run the app separately), and both worked great in Sierra.

I'd say you might be onto something, except that I did a full clean install on my system - both Plogue and Tonebridge install and run as individual apps, but when I try to get them working as Audio Units in GB or Logic Pro, they get that exclamation point over their names, *even though they come up in the AU list*...

It's really weird.

i have about 50 3rd-party plugins (in logic X), all working. since it's just those 2, perhaps contact the developers, see if there's any known issues with high sierra...

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
DriveDX by BinaryFruit causes my Lacie 2Big Thunderbolt2 external to become unusable/unreadable in Finder upon launch while searching for drives. After about 2-3 minutes, it force ejects itself with a "disk not ejected properly" notification. The behaviour is present with or without the SMART SAT driver installed. However, USB3 drives seem to be detected fine. Worked flawlessly in Sierra, not sure what has changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.