Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When/will the iPad get macOS?

• Total voters

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
A lot of people want macOS on the iPad, seeing as it would "unshackle" the potential and make basically anything you could imagine, something you can do. Coding, professional apps, advanced multitasking, generally a lot more customization and freedom.

But, how possible do you think it really is? And when would it happen? Go ahead and vote on this poll if you want, and leave your predictions here.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Never, because the iPad will kill the MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro then. And the MacBook Air is Apple their best selling Mac which brings in alot of money for Apple.

Everybody knows the iPad has no problem running MacOS from a technical point of view, but from a business point of view it makes no sense for Apple to do this.

If you need to use Windows / MacOS on an iPad, just use remote access. It is what it is.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
IMG_0402.gif

The iPad sells way more units than the Mac. The classic “tabletPC” concept has repeatedly failed while the iPad is a huge success. So I wouldn‘t say “a lot of people want macOS on the iPad”, definitely not in relative numbers.

I think macOS wouldn’t “unshackle” the potential of the iPad; they would just create a sub-par traditional computer, a boring device like the dozens we already have in the market. What is exciting about the iPad is how many professional creative use cases it enables: on-the-go photo editing, drawing, LiDAR scanning, etc. The iPad does many things way better than the Mac.

I really like my MBP. And I like my iPad Pro even more. It’s a very thoughtful device that excels at the things it does well (a lot), and is terrible at other stuff. macOS would ruin what it does well while still making it a pretty useless device for those theoretical professional use cases people have in mind.

Apple is great at seeing the forest for the trees, and the tablet market is a great example.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
No one knows if or when this will happen. I used to think there was a chance once the M1 iPad Pro launched. But we’re looking at M3 iPad Pro models coming soon and still crickets.

Apple has added features like Stage Manager and etc. so it is increasingly clear to me that they don’t ever intend to merge these two.

Maybe it does happen, but I wouldn’t expect it.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
View attachment 2282735
The iPad sells way more units than the Mac. The classic “tabletPC” concept has repeatedly failed while the iPad is a huge success. So I wouldn‘t say “a lot of people want macOS on the iPad”, definitely not in relative numbers.

I think macOS wouldn’t “unshackle” the potential of the iPad; they would just create a sub-par traditional computer, a boring device like the dozens we already have in the market. What is exciting about the iPad is how many professional creative use cases it enables: on-the-go photo editing, drawing, LiDAR scanning, etc. The iPad does many things way better than the Mac.

I really like my MBP. And I like my iPad Pro even more. It’s a very thoughtful device that excels at the things it does well (a lot), and is terrible at other stuff. macOS would ruin what it does well while still making it a pretty useless device for those theoretical professional use cases people have in mind.

Apple is great at seeing the forest for the trees, and the tablet market is a great example.
Units don't matter, what matters for Apple is revenues (and profits). Cheap Android phones sell way more units than iPhones but it doesn't mean that they are more successful than iPhones, they are just cheaper, just like the cheaper iPads sell much more than the pro ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: publicfarley

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
A lot of people want macOS on the iPad, seeing as it would "unshackle" the potential and make basically anything you could imagine, something you can do. Coding, professional apps, advanced multitasking, generally a lot more customization and freedom.

But, how possible do you think it really is? And when would it happen? Go ahead and vote on this poll if you want, and leave your predictions here.
What do you mean? MacOS instead of iPadOS, or both in dual boot? Because if you mean the latter people may misunderstand and go on with the usual rants about how bad of idea is to replace iPadOS with MacOS (not realizing that it would just be an option) and from that point of view they would probably be right.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
MacOS Virtualization seems much more likely and is probably the right way to go here.

I'd still rather see Apple continue to improve iPadOS. If for no other reason than a future dual screen, folding iPhone would likely run iPadOS on the inner display.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
Units don't matter, what matters for Apple is revenues (and profits). Cheap Android phones sell way more units than iPhones but it doesn't mean that they are more successful than iPhones, they are just cheaper, just like the cheaper iPads sell much more than the pro ones.
Units matter less* than revenue. But they specially matter when you’re growing on services. In the end, iPads and Macs generate very similar revenue, so I guess Apple prefers the former (and also has much more potential for growth). And btw, while the base iPad probably sells more than the more expensive models, it’s also probably not much more (estimates point out to 55% vs 45% combined for the rest).

Reactions: Sikh

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
If macOS ever made it to the iPad, people would instantly realize and jump to complaining about how sh#tty of a touch-first experience the desktop operating systems actually are.
The iPad would be demoted to a mediocre, laptop-first, 2 in 1 wannabe.
Have you ever tried to use a Windows 2 in 1 in tablet mode? It's abysmal. There's a reason this product category didn't really catch on in any meaningful way.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If macOS ever made it to the iPad, people would instantly realize and jump to complaining about how sh#tty of a touch-first experience the desktop operating systems actually are.
Have you ever tried to use a Windows 2 in 1 in tablet mode? It's abysmal. There's a reason this product category didn't really catch on in any meaningful way.

I have an M1 12.9, a cellular Mini 6 and a 16GB i7 Surface Pro 7. Is the SP7 in tablet mode as good as the iPad? No. But is it abysmal? No, not to me it isn't. Such evaluation is subjective personal opinion, not universal fact.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Units matter less* than revenue. But they specially matter when you’re growing on services. In the end, iPads and Macs generate very similar revenue, so I guess Apple prefers the former (and also has much more potential for growth). And btw, while the base iPad probably sells more than the more expensive models, it’s also probably not much more (estimates point out to 55% vs 45% combined for the rest).
Fair enough, I can agree with that.
As for the rest of your point, as I mentioned in another post above, you are right if MacOS is the only option on iPad, but not if it's an option like bootcamp was o Parallels is

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
As I mentioned above, this only makes sense if Apple replaced iPadOS with MacOS, which would make no sense. What most people ask (but the OP was not clear about this) is an option to ALSO run MacOS (dual boot o virtualized) with touchpad/mouse and keyboard, not touch (something that for instance Apple requires to allow external monitor support in Stage Manager) when needed

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
A 2-in-1 Macbook with Pencil support is what I would want. Until one is available I'll continue using my Surface Pro 9 and iPads. I'm fine with this compromise for now, as I also do not want the iPad line to change - those products serve their purposes well enough.

Tablet mode on the Surface Pro isn't stellar, and to me that is largely attributable to the lack of tablet apps. In the context of a 2-in-1 platform, the argument that using desktop based apps on a tablet would be a UI nightmare is a little overboard in my opinion. Desktop class applications can be used just fine with touchpad/keyboard/mouse when they're needed, whereas tablet centric applications could be used with either touch or mouse/touchpad inputs.

Contrary to arguements made by those who oppose the introduction of touch and stylus based input in MacOS, those of us who are asking for it are not asking for wholesale changes to desktop UI or desktop application UI to make them touch centric - we're merely asking for the ability to run both types of applications on the same platform now that there's alignment in the processors that Apple is using in their hardware.

I most certainly would not expect to run a full version of Photoshop entirely in tablet mode with my finger, but it would be great to be able to do note taking with a stylus in Notes or Goodnotes etc. To me where a touchscreen enabled Macbook with Pencil support would excel over a Windows 2-in-1 is in the ability to natively run iPadOS applications, which opens the door to improvements in tablet mode use far beyond what is currently possible on Windows.

I'm clearly in the minority here, and I'm sure Apple has considered all of this and has made their choice. I'm cool with that, I have alternatives (ideal or not).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Everybody knows the iPad has no problem running MacOS from a technical point of view,
I’m not so sure about that. Macs have bigger thermal capacity enclosures—with no built-in displays creating even more heat, and bigger battery capacities. I’m not an engineer but I would think to get the same macOS performance as a MacBook, the iPad would need to get bigger and heavier.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
What do you mean? MacOS instead of iPadOS, or both in dual boot? Because if you mean the latter people may misunderstand and go on with the usual rants about how bad of idea is to replace iPadOS with MacOS (not realizing that it would just be an option) and from that point of view they would probably be right.
I don’t think Apple will ever go for dual boot though. That doesn’t seem to be in their UX philosophy of their devices being always on and ready, uninterrupted—boot up/down being a once in a blue moon occurrence. (I think they saw dual boot as a necessary evil with Intel/Windows, but were happy to get rid of it.)

But I agree OP should specify which exact implementation of macOS on iPad that they mean, because it is maybe THE key point, as the devil is in the details. But honestly, I can’t think of any implementation that seems Apple-like, assuming it even makes business sense for them to do it, which I don’t think is a given.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
As I mentioned above, this only makes sense if Apple replaced iPadOS with MacOS, which would make no sense. What most people ask (but the OP was not clear about this) is an option to ALSO run MacOS (dual boot o virtualized) with touchpad/mouse and keyboard, not touch (something that for instance Apple requires to allow external monitor support in Stage Manager) when needed
Yeah.. they're not realistically going to introduce that kind of complexity into their OS just for a niche use case.. That realistically creates more worries for them than it solves. (side note: you no longer need a mouse and keyboard connected to launch stage manager externally)

Best case scenario I can imagine is that somewhere down the line, they could allow the iPad to run (app store approved) Mac apps, since the chip is the same, and this sounds somewhat feasible on first thought.
Similar to how the Mac can run iOS/iPad apps.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Step 1: Same SoC in Macs and iPads
Step 2: Run iOS apps on Mac
Step 3: Widgets on MacOS
Step 4: Final Cut and other professional application for iPadOS.
Step 5: Unify iPadOS and MacOS.

Reactions: Sisti00

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Step 1: Same SoC in Macs and iPads
Step 2: Run iOS apps on Mac
Step 3: Widgets on MacOS
Step 4: Final Cut and other professional application for iPadOS.
Step 5: Unify iPadOS and MacOS.
Step 5 will never happen, it's much harder than the other ones, let alone cannibalization considerations

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Never, because the iPad will kill the MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro then. And the MacBook Air is Apple their best selling Mac which brings in alot of money for Apple.

Everybody knows the iPad has no problem running MacOS from a technical point of view, but from a business point of view it makes no sense for Apple to do this.

If you need to use Windows / MacOS on an iPad, just use remote access. It is what it is.
Sad but true. Apple makes money from the echo system which aims for us to own as many apple devices as possible.

Inevitably some devices or categories have to die. Large iPhones cannibalised iPad which are now not neccessary for casual media consumption. The M1/M2 MacBook Air are so overpowered that buying a MBP is not neccessary unless you push the laptop to the very limit.

A Macbook air could be replaced with a 14inch with MacOS capabilities. Apple would still get paid Big bucks and some of us will have one less device to lug around, charge or manage.

Reactions: publicfarley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.