Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When/will the iPad get macOS?

• Total voters

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Can you imagine not being able to work on your Mac project while on a business trip because you left your display at home.
That's why your employer would provide you a full fledged Mac laptop. :)

We're a point in time that raw performance of even a iPhone is sufficient for 99% of all typical home or small office tasks of persons who'd buy the base model binned M1 or M2.

Have your iPhone with you always. Get home or to a hotel room with a USB-C display + keyboard + mouse/trackpad + all-in-one printer scanner.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's why your employer would provide you a full fledged Mac laptop. :)
Then just do your work on that; you'll still end up carrying two devices.
We're a point in time that raw performance of even a iPhone is sufficient for 99% of all typical home or small office tasks of persons who'd buy the base model binned M1 or M2.

Have your iPhone with you always. Get home or to a hotel room with a USB-C display + keyboard + mouse/trackpad + all-in-one printer scanner.
Sure, until your phone throttles from all the heat MacOS generates in a tiny waterproof container. Even the MacBook Air is able to vent heat through the hinge vents. Of course having those things in your hotel room doesn't help when you are on the plane or meeting with the client because there is no way to guaranteed you'll have access to them there. If you wouldn't be able to travel with just a MacMini, you wouldn't be able to travel with just your phone.

Last edited:

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Then just do your work on that; you'll still end up carrying two devices.

Sure, until your phone throttles from all the heat MacOS generates in a tiny waterproof container. Even the MacBook Air is able to vent heat through the hinge vents. Of course having those things in your hotel room doesn't help when you are on the plane or meeting with the client because there is no way to guaranteed you'll have access to them there. If you wouldn't be able to travel with just a MacMini, you wouldn't be able to travel with just your phone.
You're beyond that use case? :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You're beyond that use case? :)
Do you think Apple is going to go through the trouble of putting MacOS on iPhones only for people who can guarantee they will have access to an external display everywhere they want to use MacOS? People whose usage is so undemanding that their phones, which don't even have the M chip required to run MacOS, wouldn't overheat?

Reactions: Digitalguy

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Do you think Apple is going to go through the trouble of putting MacOS on iPhones only for people who can guarantee they will have access to an external display everywhere they want to use MacOS? People whose usage is so undemanding that their phones, which don't even have the M chip required to run MacOS, wouldn't overheat?
What's your use case?

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Then why are you even replying on this topic of others wanting macOS on iPad?
I actually agree with @darngooddesign. I would nix the requirement for an external monitor and just keep the mouse/trackpad and keyboard requirement. That way you could use Mac OS on the iPad when using a keyboard and mouse/trackpad, Magic Keyboard, or Logitech Combo Touch as well as with an external monitor if you wanted to.

Last edited:

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I see where we are diverging.

I wanted a larger than iPad or iPhone screen to enable macOS on iPhone or iPad.

I wouldn't use macOS on that small a screen.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

That's the beauty of choice. You could use it just on your iPad with a keyboard and mouse/trackpad, or attach to external monitor if you wanted to. The best of both worlds...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I bet you would if you needed to do something in MacOS away from your screen.

Phones aren't getting MacOS because they don't have the required M chip.

Reactions: bondr006

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

Tons of people use 11" and 12" MacBooks with no issues (including me, I have both). I was using Windows on my 11" iPad pro with remote desktop, no problem, just adjust the scaling if necessary

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I bet you would if you needed to do something in MacOS away from your screen.
macOS is designed for keyboard + mouse in mind. Not touch screen.

It is also designed for a certain sized of screen when paired with keyboard + mouse.

I've used 2007 netbooks with 5-11" screens running Windows XP. If the GUI is not designed for a certain size of screen it will not be better at anything.

That's why I asked you what your use case is as you may be a software dev while many arent so our use case are drastically different.
Phones aren't getting MacOS because they don't have the required M chip.
Prior to 2006 Mac OS X only publicly ran PowerPC chips.

Publicly prior to 2020 it only ran Intel chips.

Seeming Mac chips are an outgrowth of iPhone chips then why couldn't it run macOS?

Mac chips can run iPad & iPhone apps.

What is being asked is the macOS GUI to appear when connected to a USB-C display.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Im not a fan of hardware requirements, or even a dual boot situations, so I would like.

Hot swappable OSes where the inactive one is suspended. The 16GB RAM iPads would handle this more smoothly so in the future you would be able to upgrade the RAM on the 512GB iPads. Running both OSes probably would require 512GB in the same way that virtual swap memory requires at least a 128GB SSD.

MacOS touch support with accommodations for on-screen keyboard. MacOS on non-touch computers would not adjust padding or spacing. Of course you run into issues of the keyboard covering things so it would need to be accommodated.

Reworking the Documents folder so it is accessible by both OSes. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to work on the same Word file in both OSes.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It is also designed for a certain sized of screen when paired with keyboard + mouse.

I've used 2007 netbooks with 5-11" screens running Windows XP. If the GUI is not designed for a certain size of screen it will not be better at anything.
Netbook screens were crappy TN panels with very low resolutions. Even the 11.6 MBA was a much better screen than those. Pretty usable. The 12" MacBook screen is a joy to use. The 11" iPad pro, which is roughly the same size as the 11.6 MBA taking aspect ratio into account is a much better display. I would absolutely use it with MacOS on the go (just tested with sidecar mirroring my M1 mini on the 11" and optimizing for the iPad display...)

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I'm not asking partitioned OSes on a single device.

What is being asked is one GUI for built-in screens and an option for the macOS GUI when connected to a USB-C display.

Just different environments per display.

macOS was specialized for laptop/desktop while iOS or iPadOS is for multitouch devices.

Shoehorning macOS onto 11" or smaller display is just gonna be a bad experience.

Some people will put up with that but pls do not make it be me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Shoehorning macOS onto 11" or smaller display is just gonna be a bad experience.

tons of people do that every day with remote desktop from a 11" iPad pro

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I'm not asking partitioned OSes on a single device.

What is being asked is one GUI for built-in screens and an option for the macOS GUI when connected to a USB-C display.

Just different environments per display.

macOS was specialized for laptop/desktop while iOS or iPadOS is for multitouch devices.

So you want the iPad to run macOS only when attached to a monitor? I don’t understand.. so you’re giving up portability and the touch screen? What’s the point then?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
So you want the iPad to run macOS only when attached to a monitor? I don’t understand.. so you’re giving up portability and the touch screen? What’s the point then?
he doesn't even want MacOS, but a GUI that looks like MacOS but is still iPadOS

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
When it is portable it runs on iPadOS GUI.

When I want a full desktop experience it runs macOS GUI.

If I am not mistaken Microsoft Surface behaves similarly.

Apple owns macOS GUI why would they shoehorn a watered down Stage Manager for a substandard environment experience?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
macOS is designed for keyboard + mouse in mind. Not touch screen.

It is currently designed around mouse/keyboard, which does not mean it will never support touch. It is not designed for a minimum size screen, it's designed for a minimum resolution. Since you can change the scaling in MacOS, it could default to the appropriate scaling. People who buy ultraportables, not netbooks mind you, accept the compromises of a smaller screen.
Prior to 2006 Mac OS X only publicly ran PowerPC chips.

Publicly prior to 2020 it only ran Intel chips.
Once MacOS dropped PowerPC support, it didn't start again.
Seeming Mac chips are an outgrowth of iPhone chips then why couldn't it run macOS?
Even the A12 chips used in the AS Dev machines were custom designed to handle a desktop OS with extra components added for things like virtual swap memory.
Mac chips can run iPad & iPhone apps.
However, iPads can't run Mac apps. Developer support has been very limited because of the costs of testing and supporting a different OS without being able to charge for the effort.
What is being asked is the macOS GUI to appear when connected to a USB-C display.
And I said that I think requiring an external display is only beneficial for people who want to use MacOS in places where they are guaranteed a display which means no airplanes or trains, a few hotels, and a few corporate environments. Basically as far as MacOS is concerned, if you couldn't travel with just a Mac mini, you couldn't travel with just an iPad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.