Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When/will the iPad get macOS?

• Total voters

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
The DTK Mac did not use the same A12 as the iPads, it had a lot of custom components tacked on which could enable desktop features like virtual swap memory. No iPhones so far are capable of running a desktop OS.
The Apple A12Z Bionic is an updated version of the A12X, adding an additional GPU core, and was unveiled on March 18, 2020 as part of the iPad Pro (4th generation)

At its 2020 Worldwide Developer's Conference, Apple introduced the Developer Transition Kit (2020), which uses the A12Z processor with 16 GB RAM in a Mac mini enclosure, hence being the first Macintosh computer to use the Apple silicon architecture.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The Apple A12Z Bionic is an updated version of the A12X, adding an additional GPU core, and was unveiled on March 18, 2020 as part of the iPad Pro (4th generation)

At its 2020 Worldwide Developer's Conference, Apple introduced the Developer Transition Kit (2020), which uses the A12Z processor with 16 GB RAM in a Mac mini enclosure, hence being the first Macintosh computer to use the Apple silicon architecture.
The DTK A12Z was different from the iPad A12Z; it was customized and enhanced so it would be capable of running MacOS.

TheArturro

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Łódź, Poland
While having an iPad oriented MacOS version would be nice, IMO it's not necessary for making iPad usable as a daily driver computer. Just making a couple proffesional Mac apps work on an iPad would be great. Even if they'd limit them just to iPads Pro.
For me it would be:
VS Code, Video Editing Software (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve etc.) and full Photoshop as well as some Autodesk design software*.
Make them even more expensive - just make them work on an iPad.

* - I don't have an iPad yet, I may have missed some of the mentioned apps working on iPads.
EDIT: There is "DaVinci Resolve for iPad" now, but I am unsure how it compares to the MacOS/Windows versions.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
While having an iPad oriented MacOS version would be nice, IMO it's not necessary for making iPad usable as a daily driver computer. Just making a couple proffesional Mac apps work on an iPad would be great. Even if they'd limit them just to iPads Pro.
For me it would be:
VS Code, Video Editing Software (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve etc.) and full Photoshop as well as some Autodesk design software*.
Make them even more expensive - just make them work on an iPad.

* - I don't have an iPad yet, I may have missed some of the mentioned apps working on iPads.
Pretty subjective, I don't need any of those apps, but I would need full Office, full Chromium browser with extensions (you have that on Android, although it's not Chrome itself unfortunately), full Dropbox with background sync and Whatsapp desktop.
I doubt Microsoft will ever port full Office to iPad (let's say chances are zero), full Chromius could happen with the EU, full Dropbox not a chance since iPad does not allow background tasks like those, and Whatsapp might come...

TheArturro

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Łódź, Poland
Pretty subjective, I don't need any of those apps, but I would need full Office, full Chromium browser with extensions (you have that on Android, although it's not Chrome itself unfortunately), full Dropbox with background sync and Whatsapp desktop.
I doubt Microsoft will ever port full Office to iPad (let's say chances are zero), full Chromius could happen with the EU, full Dropbox not a chance since iPad does not allow background tasks like those, and Whatsapp might come...
Oh yeah I agree 100% on the "subjective" part. I just listed the apps I'd like to have. Likewise the apps you've mentioned aren't necessary for me. Maybe, just maybe Excel.

Out of curiosity, what advantaged does Dropbox have over iCloud? I've never used it. On the other hand when I still got my iPhone I loved iCloud. It was almost perfect for me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Oh yeah I agree 100% on the "subjective" part. I just listed the apps I'd like to have. Likewise the apps you've mentioned aren't necessary for me. Maybe, just maybe Excel.

Out of curiosity, what advantaged does Dropbox have over iCloud? I've never used it. On the other hand when I still got my iPhone I loved iCloud. It was almost perfect for me.
I have never paid for iCloud so I don't know it enough, but on Windows and Android it's a no go (my main phone is Samsung and my main computer is Windows). I need a could service that syncs in real time in the background locally, not just on the cloud on all my devices. This does not work on mobile devices. As for Dropbox vs other services, I also have the business version of Onedrive (free with my work) and I pay for SugarSync. They are complementary but Dropbox is the quickest and most reliable. If I find more time I could make a comparison between the 3, but I guess people here are more interested in the difference with iCloud.

Reactions: TheArturro

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I have similar needs for software as you, and for that very reason I own both an iPad (actually two, a mini and a 12.9") and a Surface Pro 9. What device I carry varies by what I intend to do when I'm out and about. The 12.9 is a 2017 model and I rarely use it. I use the mini mostly these days and the Surface I'll use periodically (only because I'm on my windows laptop for 10 hours a day during the work week).

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021

darngooddesign is also correct that the DTK had various custom chips that the 2020 iPad Pro did not have.

Additionally Apple recalled the DTK as the A12Z custom chipset had poor performance when running MacOS. It was designed for developers to compile and run apps on native ARM hardware, but it was not suitable for a general MacOS experience. The A12Z ran slowly, was unstable and had bandwidth issues for memory and for swapping to SSD.

Hence the kits were recalled and the developers were given vouchers towards a M1 Mini.

Reactions: darngooddesign

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
If we are ever to get a hybrid device then it might be a device that is a Mac underneath, running an instance of iPadOS on top that can use a touch digitiser on the screen. I don't think Apple is interested in remaking the MacOS UI with touch targets.

Whether we would get this hybrid device is another issue. The technical challenges are beyond merely the "oh they both have M-series so...". The device would likely be above the $1200-2400 iPad Pro range. Therefore there would need to be demand for this particular device at the M-series Pro/Max MBP price point, in order for it to be financially viable for Apple.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I do think there will be a touch Mac, like an iPad, some day. Though it may be a new class, and not necessarily called an iPad. Maybe a more Surface-like device.

istanbul

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2020
If macOS ever made it to the iPad, people would instantly realize and jump to complaining about how sh#tty of a touch-first experience the desktop operating systems actually are.
The iPad would be demoted to a mediocre, laptop-first, 2 in 1 wannabe.
Have you ever tried to use a Windows 2 in 1 in tablet mode? It's abysmal. There's a reason this product category didn't really catch on in any meaningful way.
Good point. I think that's exactly why the two will be combined under a different interface.

sbdyontheweb

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
We should at least be able to remote into our mac from local and remote to do things we can’t do directly on ipad.
And no continuity is wonderful and crap at same time, at least they proved that it’s not technical issue its extremely fast and smooth but its too limited, I can’t for example drive from the magic keyboard trackpad our mouse.

Sure its nice for people who want to use the ipad as a second screen, but it would be more useful to allow ipad pro owners to remote into their mac using native ipad resolution, so that people who like having safari refreshing at every app switch can keep their crappy UX and other pro users can have a real pro experience from the ipad

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
If macOS ever made it to the iPad, people would instantly realize and jump to complaining about how sh#tty of a touch-first experience the desktop operating systems actually are.
The iPad would be demoted to a mediocre, laptop-first, 2 in 1 wannabe.
Have you ever tried to use a Windows 2 in 1 in tablet mode? It's abysmal. There's a reason this product category didn't really catch on in any meaningful way.
Agreed. 👍🏻. I’ve tried macOS on my iPad via VNC, and it isn’t nearly as good as iPadOS. And it isn’t about limitations of VNC such as latency (I didn’t experience much latency at all), it‘s about the design of the UI. When using an iPad this way, it becomes incredibly clear why iPadOS exists for iPads and macOS is for Macs with bigger screens and cursors. All of the buttons are super tiny to try to tap. It’s just a nightmare trying to interact with macOS on a touchscreen tablet. It’s doable, but it’s not a great experience.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Agreed. 👍🏻. I’ve tried macOS on my iPad via VNC, and it isn’t nearly as good as iPadOS. And it isn’t about limitations of VNC such as latency (I didn’t experience much latency at all), it‘s about the design of the UI. When using an iPad this way, it becomes incredibly clear why iPadOS exists for iPads and macOS is for Macs with bigger screens and cursors. All of the buttons are super tiny to try to tap. It’s just a nightmare trying to interact with macOS on a touchscreen tablet. It’s doable, but it’s not a great experience.
Agreed using macOS with touch is far from ideal, and I don’t think Apple will ever enable it (doesn’t Apple even only enable touch scrolling with Sidecar, no pointing?), but I think most people who want macOS on iPad want to use it with a mouse and keyboard/trackpad.
There are other issues with that though. I don’t think Apple would enable it (edit- “it” meaning touch macOS), so if macOS is only enabled with a keyboard, then what if you don’t have your keyboard with you, then you simply can’t use macOS on your iPad? What if you really need to? It creates a weird situation.
But as I’ve said before, probably the bigger question/problem is what the specific implementation would be—dual boot seems to be the most popular wish, but it isn’t a very Apple ethos UX. Boot camp was a necessary evil for Apple and they were probably happy to do away with it.
Also thermal issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal Madda

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Agreed using macOS with touch is far from ideal, and I don’t think Apple will ever enable it (doesn’t Apple even only enable touch scrolling with Sidecar, no pointing?), but I think most people who want macOS on iPad want to use it with a mouse and keyboard/trackpad.
There are other issues with that though. I don’t think Apple would enable it (edit- “it” meaning touch macOS), so if macOS is only enabled with a keyboard, then what if you don’t have your keyboard with you, then you simply can’t use macOS on your iPad? What if you really need to? It creates a weird situation.
But as I’ve said before, probably the bigger question/problem is what the specific implementation would be—dual boot seems to be the most popular wish, but it isn’t a very Apple ethos UX. Boot camp was a necessary evil for Apple and they were probably happy to do away with it.
Also thermal issues.
Before all these feasibility consideration there is the lack of financial incentive for Apple to even consider this. I am still convinced that a setup that would make financial sense for Apple would be a desktop Mac in the form of a keyboard, that could work as a regulary Mac with a monitor, but could also dock an iPad and automatically launch Sidecar. That would solve all the feasibility issues and the financial incentive (they would sell Mac and iPad at the same time).
Of course it would reduce the portability factor, although with a battery in the Mac keyboard, plus power delivery, this could still be much better than a Mac Mini + iPad septup (that some have tried).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Before all these feasibility consideration there is the lack of financial incentive for Apple to even consider this. I am still convinced that a setup that would make financial sense for Apple would be a desktop Mac in the form of a keyboard, that could work as a regulary Mac with a monitor, but could also dock an iPad and automatically launch Sidecar. That would solve all the feasibility issues and the financial incentive (they would sell Mac and iPad at the same time).
Of course it would reduce the portability factor, although with a battery in the Mac keyboard, plus power delivery, this could still be much better than a Mac Mini + iPad septup (that some have tried).
I agree financial incentive is the first hurdle. But I’ve never been convinced that a Mac keyboard base is that great of an advantage to a user. It’s basically a MacBook without the display, which means you can’t just open the clamshell and start using it—you have to manually connect the iPad (or monitor) or else the base is useless. But then once connected, the iPad can’t be used (in tangent or with Sidecar). Having to disconnect to use the iPad is another chore. When connected it’s heavier than a MacBook and possibly top heavy. With a Mac keyboard base you still have two devices. Total carrying weight is negligibly lighter—just minus the weight of the MacBook display which is thin/light. And total price will probably be similar (plus like we said, no financial motivation in trying to save the customer money for the sake of it). The idea of modularity, consolidating the MacBook and iPad screen is alluring, but in practice I just don’t see any significant upside.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I agree financial incentive is the first hurdle. But I’ve never been convinced that a Mac keyboard base is that great of an advantage to a user. It’s basically a MacBook without the display, which means you can’t just open the clamshell and start using it—you have to manually connect the iPad (or monitor) or else the base is useless. But then once connected, the iPad can’t be used (in tangent or with Sidecar). Having to disconnect to use the iPad is another chore. When connected it’s heavier than a MacBook and possibly top heavy. With a Mac keyboard base you still have two devices. Total carrying weight is negligibly lighter—just minus the weight of the MacBook display which is thin/light. And total price will probably be similar (plus like we said, no financial motivation in trying to save the customer money for the sake of it). The idea of modularity, consolidating the MacBook and iPad screen is alluring, but in practice I just don’t see any significant upside.
When I say Mac Keyboard I mean something made by Apple to dock an iPad. That is, no manual connection needed, you dock and Sidecar is ready on you iPad. That should be obvious if Apple ever does such a thing. Docking an iPad would be like plugging in a monitor, no other messing around. It shouldn't be an issue to use the iPad when connected, jast as you can use the iPad with Sidecar, which is basically an app like the others. It wouldn't be hard to even use the keyboard as just a Magic Keyboard when not using Sidecar.
As for portability sure, it wouldn't be light, but you are precisely forgetting to compare it to Macbook + iPad + MK, not just Macbook + iPad... and in that can I can still see a meaningful gain...
Even assuming this keyboard Mac weight 1KG, which is a Mabook without a screen it's still quite a bit less than the 1.4kg of a 12.9 plus MK and 1.3 Kg of a Macbook air (2.7Kg in total vs 1.7kg)

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
When I say Mac Keyboard I mean something made by Apple to dock an iPad. That is, no manual connection needed, you dock and Sidecar is ready on you iPad. That should be obvious if Apple ever does such a thing. Docking an iPad would be like plugging in a monitor, no other messing around. It shouldn't be an issue to use the iPad when connected, jast as you can use the iPad with Sidecar, which is basically an app like the others. It wouldn't be hard to even use the keyboard as just a Magic Keyboard when not using Sidecar.
As for portability sure, it wouldn't be light, but you are precisely forgetting to compare it to Macbook + iPad + MK, not just Macbook + iPad... and in that can I can still see a meaningful gain...
Even assuming this keyboard Mac weight 1KG, which is a Mabook without a screen it's still quite a bit less than the 1.4kg of a 12.9 plus MK and 1.3 Kg of a Macbook air (2.7Kg in total vs 1.7kg)
It also could sweeten the deal of the extra weight by adding additional data ports for the iPad when docked. So it’s essentially a keyboard and hub accessory that can Sidecar into macOS. Perhaps even provide additional battery power so that the combo lasts longer on a charge. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a Magic Keyboard accessory that just adds more ports and battery power to the iPad, and doesn’t bother with adding macOS at all.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It also could sweeten the deal of the extra weight by adding additional data ports for the iPad when docked. So it’s essentially a keyboard and hub accessory that can Sidecar into macOS. Perhaps even provide additional battery power so that the combo lasts longer on a charge. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a Magic Keyboard accessory that just adds more ports and battery power to the iPad, and doesn’t bother with adding macOS at all.
While a better Magic Keyboard is indeed desirable, I think it's important not to forget the this would be a standalone Mac, priced half way between a Mac mini and a Macbook, that would be as thing as Macbook, with keyboard and trackpad built in but no monitor. So it would have ports etc. I think it should have a battery since the iPad cannot power it when not plugged in, but at the same time a Macbook battery would have more room than on a Macbook since it wouldn't need to power the screen.
I think it could sell to both the Mac people and the iPad pro ones.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
While a better Magic Keyboard is indeed desirable, I think it's important not to forget the this would be a standalone Mac, priced half way between a Mac mini and a Macbook, that would be as thing as Macbook, with keyboard and trackpad built in but no monitor. So it would have ports etc. I think it should have a battery since the iPad cannot power it when not plugged in, but at the same time a Macbook battery would have more room than on a Macbook since it wouldn't need to power the screen.
I think it could sell to both the Mac people and the iPad pro ones.
In essence, the user has the ability to carry a Mac and iPad in one device… losing the potential sales of Mac Mini and MacBook (Air) sales.

And we are discussing a company like Apple to create a product like that... whom told a reporter if they have trouble sending messages from an Android to iPhone, go buy an iPhone. That company? And don’t get me wrong, I’ll buy a product you described and I think that’s the problem.

Because I would then not consider buying a Mac ever again (like many others). That’s why I think this Mac/iPad hybrid device is a pipe dream. And to answer the thread question… is it feasible? Yes. But the real question is… financially, is it smart? No.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
That’s true you could use the iPad while docked. But my real point is if getting rid of the display of a MacBook and making it dependent on the iPad, then it needs to gain a big advantage. I wouldn’t count losing the MK weight as an advantage because if you have the MacBook with you anyway, the MK wouldn’t be needed—because the MacBook should be better at all the keyboard/vertical display tasks which it was designed for, and the iPad should be there to do all the tablet (held in hand)/Pencil tasks, which it was made for.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
In essence, the user has the ability to carry a Mac and iPad in one device… losing the potential sales of Mac Mini and MacBook (Air) sales.

And we are discussing a company like Apple to create a product like that... whom told a reporter if they have trouble sending messages from an Android to iPhone, go buy an iPhone. That company? And don’t get me wrong, I’ll buy a product you described and I think that’s the problem.

Because I would then not consider buying a Mac ever again (like many others). That’s why I think this Mac/iPad hybrid device is a pipe dream. And to answer the thread question… is it feasible? Yes. But the real question is… financially, is it smart? No.
I don't think that losing the Mac Mini sale is a consideration, as this device would simply be more expensive, it would be like losing the iPod to the iPhone, not an issue, although they can coexist for some time because of different price points... Losing MacBook air sales? I don't know, maybe, but only to some limited extend. Those who only want a Mac would find this solution clunky. This would be more more for iPad pro enthusiasts who want more.
Come to think of it, Apple could limit the cannibalization by limiting this to only the 12.9 or even a larger device. How? Because this is not something that would work with current iPads. They would need a new docking mecanism, like a Surface Book or my old Ativ Smart Pc, so they could decide that only a new type of iPad (ultra?) could dock into this, otherwise standalone, Mac. They would not lose iPad sales since this would be a very expensive iPad (and the Mac dock would incentivize sales) and it the whole solution would cost more than iPad + Macbook air anyway, so it's a win for Apple.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That’s true you could use the iPad while docked. But my real point is if getting rid of the display of a MacBook and making it dependent on the iPad, then it needs to gain a big advantage. I wouldn’t count losing the MK weight as an advantage because if you have the MacBook with you anyway, the MK wouldn’t be needed—because the MacBook should be better at all the keyboard/vertical display tasks which it was designed for, and the iPad should be there to do all the tablet (held in hand)/Pencil tasks, which it was made for.
I don't think people see things this way. People want a versitile device, they don't want to do all the typing on the Mac and use the tablet only as Jobs intended. This is a solution for enthusiasts not for the average person. Just like the pro iPads (especially the large ones, or even future ultra ones) are more targeted to enthusiasts. I can see a lot of entusiasts preferring this to having a Mac + a naked iPad. Let alone the large number of people that don't even have Macs and use Windows PCs, this could push some of them to Macs.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don't think that losing the Mac Mini sale is a consideration, as this device would simply be more expensive, it would be like losing the iPod to the iPhone, not an issue, although they can coexist for some time because of different price points... Losing MacBook air sales? I don't know, maybe, but only to some limited extend. Those who only want a Mac would find this solution clunky. This would be more more for iPad pro enthusiasts who want more.
It wouldn’t necessarily be a iPad Pro enthusiast type of device… it would be those who want to consolidate and have the best of both worlds. And of course, Mac Mini will be in the discussion… given I’ll be able to plug my iPad/Mac into a monitor and get desktop experience.

You bring up iPod to the iPhone.. and look where that went?

Come to think of it, Apple could limit the cannibalization by limiting this to only the 12.9 or even a larger device. How? Because this is not something that would work with current iPads. They would need a new docking mecanism, like a Surface Book or my old Ativ Smart Pc, so they could decide that only a new type of iPad (ultra?) could dock into this, otherwise standalone, Mac. They would not lose iPad sales since this would be a very expensive iPad (and the Mac dock would incentivize sales) and it the whole solution would cost more than iPad + Macbook air anyway, so it's a win for Apple.
Again, I’m not denying the product is a cool idea. But there’s no doubt that it will take some of the Mac sales… let me propose a question to you.

Imagine bringing iPad-specific features to the Mac (touch support, Apple Pencil and cellular support)… you think that would take some sales away from the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.