Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When/will the iPad get macOS?

• Total voters

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You realize that the Magic Keyboard IS an external Bluetooth keyboard, right?

Here, have a look: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201178#:~:text=Magic Keyboard, Magic Keyboard with,you turn on the device.
I am not talking of the Mac Magic Keyboard, I am talking about the one made for the iPad, that can prop it like a laptop and has a trackpad.
So, even if it's not the perfect experience, you can still hook it to a larger screen while bringing it with you and loading an interface that is better adapted to its small screen for e.g, gaming. Seems great to me.
To be honest other than for gaming the Ally is a terrible device for use on the go. You are much better off using a small Windows laptop like the surface go, that bringing a handheld console than you then have to plug to a keyboard, mouse and monitor to make it usable on the go. At home it's a different story. But at home you don't need portability.
If your point is that Apple does not make ultra light and compact laptops (anymore), I can agree with that. But the ally by itself is not a laptop replacement.
Having said that come to think of it, I could see a use of it if paired to a 11" iPad with Magic keyboard using a "second screen" app like spacedesk, luna display or duet (adapting the resolution to the iPad display and mirror it). I should give it a try...

PS I tested with duet pro and it works... now you made me want to buy the ally...😅 joking, it has no cellular so a surface go LTE is still a better solution (and not much heavier). But at least now I know what to do when airline people ask me to close my laptop during takeoff but I can still use my iPad 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Joe Dohn

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Its technically possible just bot going to happen
This is the answer. There are so many financial reasons to not do this. Technically it could've been done years ago. I don't buy all of that talk about wanting to keep things separate because touch screens aren't suitable for Mac OS blah blah blah. Those are all solvable software problems.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
This is the answer. There are so many financial reasons to not do this. Technically it could've been done years ago. I don't buy all of that talk about wanting to keep things separate because touch screens aren't suitable for Mac OS blah blah blah. Those are all solvable software problems.
Naw I buy it and it makes sense. Most windows touch screens are ****, and Apple does a better job with their unbeatable track pad. I get it.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Having said that come to think of it, I could see a use of it if paired to a 11" iPad with Magic keyboard using a "second screen" app like spacedesk, luna display or duet (adapting the resolution to the iPad display and mirror it). I should give it a try...

PS I tested with duet pro and it works... now you made me want to buy the ally...😅 joking, it has no cellular so a surface go LTE is still a better solution (and not much heavier). But at least now I know what to do when airline people ask me to close my laptop during takeoff but I can still use my iPad 😉

You can definitely use a second screen with it!
Regarding LTE, you could either share your phone's connection with the Ally, or use a dongle like this: https://www.amazon.com/HOSAYA-Portable-Hotspot-Unlocked-88mmx28mmx9mm/dp/B0B593MQXN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=HU2QQZ6TKBT6&keywords=4g+dongle&qid=1698453048&sprefix=4g+dongl,aps,213&sr=8-4

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
😉
You can definitely use a second screen with it!
Regarding LTE, you could either share your phone's connection with the Ally, or use a dongle like this: https://www.amazon.com/HOSAYA-Portable-Hotspot-Unlocked-88mmx28mmx9mm/dp/B0B593MQXN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=HU2QQZ6TKBT6&keywords=4g+dongle&qid=1698453048&sprefix=4g+dongl,aps,213&sr=8-4
Well, it's even easier actually, I can share the connection from LTE iPad... I am doing it now, from my surface go... The Magic Keyboard is much nicer than the keyboard in the go, although there is a tiny bit of lag (Android works better with second screen apps). I should also try Spacedesk (currently I am trying duet). Having said that while the Ally is more powerful it's not really much more portable than a surface go 2/3.... which has many other advantages. But I like the idea of giving iPad not just MacOS but Windows itself this way. And of course this works much better than remote desktop, as remote desktop works well with a keyboard but poorly with touch...

PS tested Spacedesk and no, trackpad gestures don't work, so duet wins
PS2 tried Duet wired, latency is almost totally gone, although even wireless it's pretty low
PS2 tomorrow I will try Luna Display... (it's 3am...😅)

Last edited:

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
im the most excited for apple to maybe bring xcode to the ipad or to keep updating playgrounds. It maybe would be nice too if they made their own app like iSH. Then we could get a lot more coding work done on the ipad!

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
It may happen, but if it does it’ll be limited to the M2/M3 Pro iPads and only with a Magic Keyboard since Apple will force that to be a requirement. Apple would segment it to the Pro level only, and probably advertise it as having the ability to swap between a version of iPadOS and MacOS when docked with the Magic Keyboard.

I highly doubt it would be the full MacOS, but more likely iPadOS and than when paired with the Magic Keyboard it would switch to a toned down MacOS interface with extended features for a “desktop like” experience that can run full MacOS apps. This keeps it segmented to the iPad Pros and Apple pleases the crowds who want/need this, why still keeping full Macs and iPads separate.

This would never happen to the base or Air iPads.

Also, isn’t iPadOS 18 suppose to bring big changes to the interface?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I think he's referring to this:
I think it was a mistake calling them both Magic Keyboards. Also, what's so magical about them?
It may happen, but if it does it’ll be limited to the M2/M3 Pro iPads and only with a Magic Keyboard since Apple will force that to be a requirement. Apple would segment it to the Pro level only, and probably advertise it as having the ability to swap between a version of iPadOS and MacOS when docked with the Magic Keyboard.

I highly doubt it would be the full MacOS, but more likely iPadOS and than when paired with the Magic Keyboard it would switch to a toned down MacOS interface with extended features for a “desktop like” experience that can run full MacOS apps. This keeps it segmented to the iPad Pros and Apple pleases the crowds who want/need this, why still keeping full Macs and iPads separate.

This would never happen to the base or Air iPads.

Also, isn’t iPadOS 18 suppose to bring big changes to the interface?
How much of a buzzkill would it be if Apple did give us macOS on the iPad, but only limited it to Mac App Store apps? I'd personally like to keep iPadOS as the only OS on it, but have them figure out a way to run Mac apps on it. Or at the very least, open the system up to let it run modern virtual machines.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I’m not so sure about that. Macs have bigger thermal capacity enclosures—with no built-in displays creating even more heat, and bigger battery capacities. I’m not an engineer but I would think to get the same macOS performance as a MacBook, the iPad would need to get bigger and heavier.
Interesting answer. I don’t know if you’re right, but it’s a logical answer. Although… with M2 and M3 chips, Apple should be able to run MacOS slowly enough to still provide decent performance without thermal issues.

samanuel

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Hi,

I have an Imac Pro which I use for music production but I am about to move and quite likely travel a bit soon so I’ve been rethinking my set up and hopefully simplifying quite a bit. Ever since ipad’s started coming out with M chips I was hoping apple will either let us use mac os with them or at least create some port so that we can use all the programs that normally only run on a mac. I would love to be able to fit almost all the tech I’d need into a bag-pack. I know I could buy a laptop but I’d prefer to use an ipad to which I can add a keyboard if needed or Just use it as a screen. Unfortunately I’m quite heavily invested in NI Komplete which isn’t gonna work on ios anytime soon so I still need mac os.
Is it likely that Apple releases the upcoming Ipad Pro‘s with a way to at least switch between ios and mac os? Or am I only dreaming?

Sincerely
T.

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
I use Luna Display, a USC-C device that when plugged in to my Mac Mini, allows me to run my Mini using only my iPad as a display. This can be done at home (or possibly office) over WiFi with no wired connection. When I go out for coffee, I connected Mini & iPad with a cable: lightning at one end, USB-C at the other. I power the Mini with a 20,000 mAh battery with 3-prong outlet. I could just use the wall outlet depending on where I’m sitting. The battery will last >20 hours, as the M2 Mini draws very little power.
After some testing, here’s the Pro’s & con’s:
  • Numerous common tasks can still be performed by touching the iPad screen when in “Mac mode”. I have not tested everything, but:
    • Screen print on iPad still works pressing buttons or swiping up from bottom left.
    • Open or close a Mac App via touch
    • Open or close a file
    • Drag objects to Trash
    • Empty Trash
    • All other drop-down commands, such as “New Folder”
    • Various adjustments in Settings.
    • Limited functionality in Safari. Scrolling via mouse only.
    • Swipe up from bottom right to open iPad Quick Notes still works. This is a true simultaneous functionality of Mac & iPad!!!!
    • Open iPad controls by swiping down from top right.
      • Brightness, screen lock, volume, flashlight, etc.
Limitations

1. Since there is no popup keyboard on the Mac, typing and the majority of screen navigation in Headless Mode must be done with the keyboard, mouse, or trackpad. Wireless works fine.

2. The iPad display is a bit small, but newer iPads are 11” or 12”, and

soon, possibly larger. The 10.5” screen is not something I want to use

for more than an hour, (if that…) especially when writing code or

creating a document.

3. iPad charge level is not displayed.

3. Printing is unchanged.

• Selecting Print in any Mac menu works fine.
  • The printer continues to connect with the Mac, not the iPad, when in Headless Mode, as do mouse, keyboard, trackpad, and other peripherals, whether they are connected to the Mac via USB or WiFi.
Sorry about the formatting here, but the results are in and I’m quite pleased overall!

Regards

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
If I can't have Mac OS on iPad then at least let me remote into my Mac from my iPad and integrate with the files App. Yes there are third party app solutions that do this but almost all involve a subscription. I want something more native.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I would much prefer a new OS for iPad built from the ground up specifically designed for iPad rather than the current iPhone software in a bigger format.

That would make far more sense going forward, but I doubt that would ever happen simply due to the costs involved in developing it.

MacOS on an iPad could possibly work, but… it would hurt apples Mac sales which they simply would not do.

I feel at the moment the iPad inheriting features from the iPhone 12 months later feels very ugh… especially at the iPad’s price points. Most features coming to the iPad just feel dated even though they have only just been released.

The iPad currently is the only product in the line up which hasn’t got its own dedicated OS regardless of their marketing name for it, it’s essentially iOS just bigger… it needs a user experience that is different but at the same time has elements of familiarity with the other OS’s for ease of use for the end user… similar to how watchOS feels to iOS or iOS feels to MacOS or VisionOS, it’s completely different but at the same time anyone who uses an iPhone can easily get to grips with WatchOS, or anyone who uses a Mac can easily get to grips with an iPhone etc.

dalestrauss

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Midland, TX
It is way past time to let the iPad Pro dual boot MacOS when connected to a keyboard and mouse. Let ME decide, not the legions of iPaddy (David Pogue's term) purists. I'll gladly pay a big premium for that, but just let me decide what I need or want.

Reactions: mr_jomo

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hopefully Apple doesn’t listen to the extreme minority that wants to obliterate the iPad by turning it into a Mac.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
What I don’t wish to see happening is MacOS completely replacing iPadOS.
I doubt that's ever going to happen. A new OS would be nice, one that brings the flexibility of macOS or for the sake of discussion a full macOS and in addition an extension that allows seamless switching between "laptop mode" and "iPad mode". Something that utilizes the Magic Keyboard with trackpad (or external keyboard/mouse) like a MBP/MBA, same software capabilities and that allows to utilize regular gesture and pencil control depending on the (automatically?) selected mode.

macOS as it is, installed on an iPad could never replace the experience of iPadOS. "macOS extended" could. And for those who don't want to use "macOS" on an iPad like on a MB, it could be locked to the mode just as it works now.

I'd certainly buy into such a device/OS combo. If for nothing else, only not to have to carry around both my MBP and my iPP. And I'd jump on it right away if Apple would offer a 14" or 15" iPad Pro with such an OS (I'd still need my MBP for the heavier lifting as an iPad is more of a MBA performance wise).

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
If sales lag they will have to come up with things like that. But if ain't broke....

Maybe if MS offered them a deal we could see an Arm Windows solution of some kind. I'd settle for that. I'm not exactly sure how badly Arm Windows sucks though.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I don’t really care if Apple adds MacOS to the iPad via virtual machine or dual boot.

What I don’t wish to see happening is MacOS completely replacing iPadOS.
I wouldn't want MacOS to replace iPadOS either, and I guess almost no one would want that.
But the idea that a dual boot or a virtual machine would obliterate the iPad (pro) makes zero sense.
The only argument I have seen that make a tiny bit of sense is it would take some storage space.
Well then either make it downloadable like Bootcamp or make it available only on 1TB+ devices that have tons of storage and RAM... at that point a 20GB more or less make little difference if you don't use the thing....

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If sales lag they will have to come up with things like that. But if ain't broke....

Maybe if MS offered them a deal we could see an Arm Windows solution of some kind. I'd settle for that. I'm not exactly sure how badly Arm Windows sucks though.
Not much more than actual Windows... If you don't like Windows, well.. you don't.
Personally I am ok with Windows, even on a tablet, I am ok with dealing more with a browser than with apps, but having a full computer when needed, what I hate is x86 on a tablet, the heat, the noise (or throttling if fanless) and the shorter battery life...
Hopefully these X Elite chips will change that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.