Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When/will the iPad get macOS?

• Total voters

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I'd want macOS on iPhone or iPad when it plugs into a USB-C display with these I/O

- Thunderbolt 5
- USB-A 10Gbps
- Ethernet
- 3.5mm audio port

This setup would require a dock with active cooling solution

maxresdefault.jpg

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
What do you mean? MacOS instead of iPadOS, or both in dual boot? Because if you mean the latter people may misunderstand and go on with the usual rants about how bad of idea is to replace iPadOS with MacOS (not realizing that it would just be an option) and from that point of view they would probably be right.
I meant more of "do you think it should dualboot, or replace iPadOS?"

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I meant more of "do you think it should dualboot, or replace iPadOS?"
so it's a question? well, replacing would be absurd, make zero sense, dual boot or virtualisation would be the only sensible options, although they probably don't make much sense for Apple at the moment

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Never, because the iPad will kill the MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro then. And the MacBook Air is Apple their best selling Mac which brings in alot of money for Apple.

Everybody knows the iPad has no problem running MacOS from a technical point of view, but from a business point of view it makes no sense for Apple to do this.

If you need to use Windows / MacOS on an iPad, just use remote access. It is what it is.
Apple has a history of killing product lines though, no matter the profitability. They killed the iPod, and the Apple II - both money makers.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I'd want macOS on iPhone or iPad when it plugs into a USB-C display with these I/O

- Thunderbolt 5
- USB-A 10Gbps
- Ethernet
- 3.5mm audio port

This setup would require a dock with active cooling solution

maxresdefault.jpg
We’re more likely to see Stage Manager come to a docked iPhone. But even that Apple probably won’t do because there’s a chance it’ll hurt iPad sales.

I’d like a macOS feature on the iPhone, even if it’s “macOS Lite,” but I just don’t see it happening, unfortunately. Apple doesn’t want us using an iPhone as our only computer, they want us to have that, plus a separate iPad and Mac.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
They killed the iPod, and the Apple II - both money makers.
iPod (2001-2022) ran its course. iPhone killed it. MP3 players died because of Android.

As for the Apple II

> By the end of 1977 Apple had sales of $775,000 for the fiscal year, which included sales of the Apple I. This puts Apple clearly behind the others of the "holy trinity" of the TRS-80 and Commodore PET, even though the TRS-80 was launched last of the three. [36] However, during the first five years of operations, revenues doubled about every four months. Between September 1977 and September 1980, annual sales grew from $775,000 to $118 million.[37] During this period the sole products of the company were the Apple II and its peripherals, accessories, and software.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
We’re more likely to see Stage Manager come to a docked iPhone. But even that Apple probably won’t do because there’s a chance it’ll hurt iPad sales.

I’d like a macOS feature on the iPhone, even if it’s “macOS Lite,” but I just don’t see it happening, unfortunately. Apple doesn’t want us using an iPhone as our only computer, they want us to have that, plus a separate iPad and Mac.
I am under no illusion Apple would never allow it.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Why? What's "shackled" about a MacBook?

You could perhaps do a Mac with an iPad-like display that didn't have a hinged keyboard attached, but macOS is not a touch-first system like iOS, or even a touch-supporting system at all, so such a display wouldn't even need touch-sensing hardware. Apple could do a separate Mac product that fit that description down the road, I guess.

floral

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Why? What's "shackled" about a MacBook?

You could perhaps do a Mac with an iPad-like display that didn't have a hinged keyboard attached, but macOS is not a touch-first system like iOS, or even a touch-supporting system at all, so such a display wouldn't even need touch-sensing hardware. Apple could do a separate Mac product that fit that description down the road, I guess.
I think you misinterpreted the question, some people think the iPad is 'shackled' in comparison to an 'unshackled' Mac.

Also, I personally think this solution would work if
A. it was dualboot (as in, you could choose between iPadOS and macOS on boot with seperate partitions, requires larger storage option)
B. You needed a keyboard to use macOS: If the keyboard detaches, the display shows a warning that the keyboard was disconnected, prompting a shutdown or returning to iPadOS (you could reattach the keyboard to make this go away)

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
When you've got $845 M1 MacBook Air from Amazon... why does it even matter. You're at the same iPad Pro price, just a choice if you want multi-touch and iOS apps or a full Mac notebook experience.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
When you've got $845 M1 MacBook Air from Amazon... why does it even matter. You're at the same iPad Pro price, just a choice if you want multi-touch and iOS apps or a full Mac notebook experience.
it's not just a matter of cost, some people what to have to carry one device instead of 2

Reactions: istanbul

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Never, because the iPad will kill the MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro then. And the MacBook Air is Apple their best selling Mac which brings in alot of money for Apple.

Everybody knows the iPad has no problem running MacOS from a technical point of view, but from a business point of view it makes no sense for Apple to do this.

If you need to use Windows / MacOS on an iPad, just use remote access. It is what it is.
THIS. Its the same reason they don't give you a touch screen on a Macbook. I remember when every Windows laptop started providing a touch screen and someone asked Jobs or Cook, I don't remember which one if they were going to offer it on a Macbook, and they said "mac users don't want a touch screen" which is such a ridiculous statement because you could just, not use the touch screen if you didn't want to.

Reactions: Digitalguy

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Maybe a little, but it would only appeal to the relative minority of iPad users who use them with external displays.

The real reason why iPhones won’t get Stage Manager, besides not having an M chip, is that iPhone apps aren’t responsive so Stage Manager on an external display would look like this with a bunch of unused desktop on either side.
IMG_0548.png

iPhones aren’t getting Stage Manager for the same reason they don’t have SplitScreen On the internal screen.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Maybe a little, but it would only appeal to the relative minority of iPad users who use them with external displays.

The real reason why iPhones won’t get Stage Manager, besides not having an M chip, is that iPhone apps aren’t responsive so Stage Manager on an external display would look like this with a bunch of unused desktop on either side.
View attachment 2285289

iPhones aren’t getting Stage Manager for the same reason they don’t have SplitScreen On the internal screen.
Didn't think about this angle. iPads can run iPhone apps, but the iPhone cannot run iPad apps.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I think the closest we could come would be and external keyboard type thing, with a Mac built in, or a Mac ‘dock’ type thing. That would be great. But I absolutely don’t think that the iPad should be ruined by forcing macOS on to it in any way shape or form.

I use my iPad plus my Mac with jump/luna display/sidecar - with jump it’s even excellent and fully usable out of the house (strong fibre house connection and 5g iPad). I can edit photos using lightroom Classic on my iPad away from the studio. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.
This way I get an iPad doing what it’s good at, with its excellent app ecosystem - and my powerful studio based Mac usable as an app.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I think the closest we could come would be and external keyboard type thing, with a Mac built in, or a Mac ‘dock’ type thing. That would be great. But I absolutely don’t think that the iPad should be ruined by forcing macOS on to it in any way shape or form.

I use my iPad plus my Mac with jump/luna display/sidecar - with jump it’s even excellent and fully usable out of the house (strong fibre house connection and 5g iPad). I can edit photos using lightroom Classic on my iPad away from the studio. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.
This way I get an iPad doing what it’s good at, with its excellent app ecosystem - and my powerful studio based Mac usable as an app.
We just want the macOS GUI front-end on iPad or iPhone when connected to a USB-C display.

It can still be iPadOS or iOS under the hood but for use with display, keyboard & mouse/trackpad what we interact with is macOS.

Currently sold iPad & iPhone hardware is already superior to all Macs with Intel mobile chips. Sure they're not all 8GB RAM but what we want is a light Mac to increase the utility of our iPhone or iPad.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

That's what I have been saying for years already, a Mac Magic Keyboard with trackpad in which the iPad could dock activating Sidecar as the main monitor. That would solve the cannibalization issue (would not be much cheaper than buying a MBA + iPad pro, with a price of maybe $700 for the MMK, although it would spare you from buying a MK), it wouldn't be lighter than an iPad + Magic Keyboard, but maybe a bit lighter than Mac + iPad + MK.
And it could be used with a standard monitor too.
The question is whether Apple thinks enough people would buy it... Personally I think it would be a more interesting alternative to a Mac Mini, although at a somewhat higher price, which again should make financial sense for Apple.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
We just want the macOS GUI front-end on iPad or iPhone when connected to a USB-C display.

It can still be iPadOS or iOS under the hood but for use with display, keyboard & mouse/trackpad what we interact with is macOS.

Currently sold iPad & iPhone hardware is already superior to all Macs with Intel mobile chips. Sure they're not all 8GB RAM but what we want is a light Mac to increase the utility of our iPhone or iPad.
that's what Apple is trying to accomplish with Stage Manager (with little success). I think people want true MacOS, not just a GUI, and they also want the option on the iPad screen for use on the go...

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
that's what Apple is trying to accomplish with Stage Manager (with little success). I think people want true MacOS, not just a GUI, and they also want the option on the iPad screen for use on the go...
No one wants a 3rd or 4th current Apple GUI to learn.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

When I plug my phone or tablet to a USB-C display + keyboard + mouse/trackpad make macOS GUI appear.

If 8GB RAM is the limit then let it be so.

I replace my iPhone every 2 years.

Months after the final Security Updates is released is when I ideally replace any other devices.

My 2021 iPhone 13 Pro Max is more powerful than my 2019 MBP 16".

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No one wants a 3rd or 4th current Apple GUI to learn.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

When I plug my phone or tablet to a USB-C display + keyboard + mouse/trackpad make macOS GUI appear.

If 8GB RAM is the limit then let it be so.

I replace my iPhone every 2 years.

Months after the final Security Updates is released is when I ideally replace any other devices.

My 2021 iPhone 13 Pro Max is more powerful than my 2019 MBP 16".
I am not saying SM is a good solution (I said "little success"), I am saying it's not a GUI people want, people want to run MacOS apps

Reactions: sack_peak

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Seems like a bad idea for a mobile Mac to require a display. How would you do work on a plane, or in a hotel room?
Hmmm, I see what you mean. View attachment 2285445 How about just the mouse/trackpad and keyboard requirement then? That way you could use Mac OS when using Magic Keyboard or Logitech Combo Touch as well as on an external monitor.
Like I said above when you brought that up. Take away the requirement for an external monitor. What do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.