Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
It's in the Screensaver panel of System Settings (latest Sonoma Dev beta - might also be in the public beta, but I don't know that for sure).

If it’s in the Developer beta then it’s in the public beta. They are the same software.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
If it’s in the Developer beta then it’s in the public beta. They are the same software.
I’m honestly not seeing it, either. I’ve also been having issues with screensavers not working in general. Seems to be an unacknowledged “known issue” from what my half a$$ed research tells me. At least with “legacy” screensavers. Forget the file type, but reinstalling, or just double clicking on them again, doesn’t fix the issue. Randomly seeing it as Not Responding in Activity Monitor. I just assumed the broke everyone’s Screensavers to force folks to use their new ones. 😆

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
On Safari it now shows the favourites as icons and the name of the website. Would be cool if it just showed the icons only. Really shows off the value of branding that way!

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
On Safari it now shows the favourites as icons and the name of the website. Would be cool if it just showed the icons only. Really shows off the value of branding that way!

You can Rename the bookmark. Although Safari won't let you delete the name completely, not even replace the name with a space. You'll have to rename it into a ".", for example.

(Of course you can remove the bookmark name in any other normal browser, leaving the icon only. Safari does slowly crawl into the 21 century and finally at least allows bookmark icons in the top bar - but it's not there yet).

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m honestly not seeing it, either. I’ve also been having issues with screensavers not working in general. Seems to be an unacknowledged “known issue” from what my half a$$ed research tells me. At least with “legacy” screensavers. Forget the file type, but reinstalling, or just double clicking on them again, doesn’t fix the issue. Randomly seeing it as Not Responding in Activity Monitor. I just assumed the broke everyone’s Screensavers to force folks to use their new ones.

Checked this morning: I’m on beta 4 and my aerial screensavers/wallpaper are available and working fine.

Reactions: gank41

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
Not sure when they were added, but there's a few useful options in Desktop & Dock settings:

In the Desktop section, you can hide desktop items - I personally find bright grid of icons behind my windows distracting, so I am happy about this :D
You can also hide the widgets-on-desktop, and have them only show when the "show desktop" command is used.
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 19.15.24.png

And in the Widgets section, in addition to switching between monochrome/full-colour in response to "show desktop", they can always stay as one of these options:
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 19.13.12.png

In Lock Screen settings, there's also the option to hide the large clock on the lock screen (and show it in the top-right, like previously):

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 19.34.28.png
It looks like this:

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 19.39.12.png

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Not sure when they were added, but there's a few useful options in Desktop & Dock settings:

In the Desktop section, you can hide desktop items - I personally find bright grid of icons behind my windows distracting, so I am happy about this :D
You can also hide the widgets-on-desktop, and have them only show when the "show desktop" command is used.
View attachment 2242223

And in the Widgets section, in addition to switching between monochrome/full-colour in response to "show desktop", they can always stay as one of these options:
View attachment 2242222

In Lock Screen settings, there's also the option to hide the large clock on the lock screen (and show it in the top-right, like previously):

View attachment 2242225
It looks like this:

View attachment 2242226
That’s cool, considering it only shows me Cupertino time on my Lock Screen.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Quick question: the brightness and audio volume indicators that appear in the middle of the screen as a square remain unchanged since ancient times? I guess it’s time to make them a bit more modern.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Quick question: the brightness and audio volume indicators that appear in the middle of the screen as a square remain unchanged since ancient times? I guess it’s time to make them a bit more modern.
They changed them with Yosemite

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
They added translucency in Yosemite. But the OSD is the same.

I don’t want to open a discussion about this on this thread, as it would be off-topic, I was only asking if Apple changed it in Sonoma. I’ve been reading they haven’t, so I guess we’ll have to wait another year.
Yeah it’s still the same. Not sure why this has not been changed yet, especially since iOS has had it for 4 (?) years now.

Reactions: Populus

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Yeah it’s still the same. Not sure why this has not been changed yet, especially since iOS has had it for 4 (?) years now.
What even needs to change here? This design didn't work well on iOS because of screen estate constraints, so it was redesigned there.

Reactions: n-evo

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Public Beta 3: It seems like your chosen wallpaper remains on the login screen even after a fresh boot. In Ventura and earlier, the default desktop would appear on first boot and wouldn't change until you logged in for the first time.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Public Beta 3: It seems like your chosen wallpaper remains on the login screen even after a fresh boot. In Ventura and earlier, the default desktop would appear on first boot and wouldn't change until you logged in for the first time.
Finally. Hopefully that isn’t some bug and here to stay. Especially when there’s only a single user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.