Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
macOS supports FLAC for a while now but it can't display the embedded cover art, I wonder if someone at Apple fixed that for Sonoma.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
New wallpapers have been pushed OTA. Just reboot the system and they should pop up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 23.46.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 23.46.05.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 181

APCX

Suspended
Sep 19, 2023
macOS Ventura already ships a software AV1 decoder and AV1 hardware decoder plugin. But the software decoder is not enabled by default, and I don't know if the hardware decoder is already used on some hardware or not to decode AVIF at least. 13.4 creates preview for AV1 .mp4 files in Finder now.
I did not test macOS 14 yet, but there is a new framework to create format readers and video decoders plugins: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/mediaextension

Probably won't be needed for AV1, but it can be used for other formats.
Ahh damn. It seems like this is now gone from Apple’s site.

• Sad
Reactions: Nermal

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Menus have been rewritten in AppKit, and the timing of the fade animation and the double blink animation when an item is selected changed. The double blink seems faster.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Anyone else noticed that scrolling is a lot more accelerated/slippery? Web pages in Chrome are scrolling further within the same flick on the trackpad as macOS 13 so it must be something OS related. Actually come to think of it I remember scrolling felt slower and had a lot more friction when I upgradad to macOS 13 so maybe they've reverted the scrolling behavior back to macOS 13 and prior.

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Apple is putting the current build in "About", finally.
System Setting is still a little off, like a click behind, randomly.
killall Dock with Terminal occasionally, as sometimes it's unresponsive after a restart. about.jpg

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Wasn’t it already there? I upgraded both Mac’s so I can’t check.
Yep you're right, I completely missed it. It was Ventura on a different drive, my bad.

Edit:
So I went back and checked older builds and they didn't include builds, thought I was losing my mind.
Build 23A339 and 23A344.

sonoma about.jpg

Last edited:

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
How many GB, or possibly MB do each of the video wallpapers use?
It varies between about 300 MB - 800 MB depending on the video length. They all appear to be 4k but some appear higher quality than others despite being the same resolution.

I noticed the Sonoma download was 4.5GB and wondered if that was mainly the wallpapers.

Meanwhile I've had one spontaneous logout and one failure to sleep, but otherwise smooth sailing.

Reactions: jchap

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I hope that there will be one day, that a new major update in mac os,
will finally support ntfs write, natively, without the need for any third party application.
A so essential feature in this world we live in, but apple continues to be blind.

Reactions: jchap and 68000/030

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
I like that the clock doesn't dim out any more when DND is on. It felt redundant (there was already an icon) and made it harder to read, especially if combined with Night Shift.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
The first thing I thought when I saw that new screensavers is one of the big highlights of Sonoma is that there's probably not much new stuff to talk about.
This is just inevitable. We're at the point where everything, from hardware to software, is endless iteration. Slow, steady improvements. Outside of the work being done with visionOS, I'm just not sure how much farther something like macOS can really be taken. Lock screens and screen savers are this release's big marketable feature, will next year's release focus on new cursors?

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Downloaded yesterday, and I have to say that I usually do a full wipe & fresh OS install, but this time I skipped it because, magically, all of my Apple devices are actually working incredibly, almost-unbelievably smoothly together! Installed macOS Sonoma, and everything has been glitch-free. What are the odds?! Never happened to me before.

Also, the smooth-scrolling-to-a-stop desktop background is super slick! I love that! Plus widgets, the OSs are more coherent, which is fantastic!

Reactions: jchap and Brad7

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've just found that .m2ts files play in QuickTime Player now (this may have worked in 13 as well: I skipped it).

Edit: Seems to depend on the internal format. Some play, but others don't.

Last edited:

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The new accessibility font size for native Apple apps like finder is a great addition, but I'm disappointed it lacks some major apple apps like the music, settings and podcast ones. Hope it'll be add up in feature Somona updates.

Reactions: MacGizmo

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The new accessibility font size for native Apple apps like finder is a great addition, but I'm disappointed it lacks some major apple apps like the music, settings and podcast ones. Hope it'll be add up in feature Somona updates.
Font size in all Apple apps is way too small if you ask me. In particular, News needs to be either beefed up or have an option to enlarge the fonts to a user-selected amount.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Is there any way to remove the Screensavers to save some GB?
Plus - it seems that for my WordClock Screensaver the options cannot be saved anymore, it always resets to the basic settings. On the Studio I was able to change some, not on the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.