Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Quick question: do the big (8TB+) drives from seagate, in the barracuda pro or ironwolf lines, require special trays to mount them inside the classic mac pro? In other words, have the screw holes changed position?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Quick question: do the big (8TB+) drives from seagate, in the barracuda pro or ironwolf lines, require special trays to mount them inside the classic mac pro? In other words, have the screw holes changed position?

YES for Ironwolf
100807039g.jpg

NO for Barracuda (non Pro version)
BCP.jpg

YES for Barracuda Pro
100804841c.jpg

Last edited:

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Thanks for the info. The price for a new tray ends up being more than the savings I can get for buying an ironwolf (because I'm in canada and shipping from OWC is murderous). Looks like I'm going to end up with 2 barracuda pros instead of a mix...

Edit: I'm note sure the 8TB barracuda pro will work, as I see the hole (on seagate's website, user manual for 8TB) exactly like those of the ironwolf.

Smaller barracuda pros have different screw locations than the bigger drives.

Am I looking at the wrong image?

Last edited:

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Well, actually macsales now has an inexpensive option for canadian delivery. For two sleds it would end up costing about 80$ CDN including shipping and duties. Not that bad.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the info. The price for a new tray ends up being more than the savings I can get for buying an ironwolf (because I'm in canada and shipping from OWC is murderous). Looks like I'm going to end up with 2 barracuda pros instead of a mix...

Edit: I'm note sure the 8TB barracuda pro will work, as I see the hole (on seagate's website, user manual for 8TB) exactly like those of the ironwolf.

Smaller barracuda pros have different screw locations than the bigger drives.

Am I looking at the wrong image?

Thanks for correcting me. I double check my work and know what's wrong now. I was actually looking at the BarraCuda 8TB manual (not the BarraCuda Pro 8TB).

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all, this has been a very informative tread to read.

I have to purchase some drives to replace my 4Tb Hitachi Deskstar that is nearly full.

Would any of you know of a 7200rpm drive that has a capacity larger than 4Tb that does not suffer from the warm reboot drive not showing up issue?

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Would any of you know of a 7200rpm drive that has a capacity larger than 4Tb that does not suffer from the warm reboot drive not showing up issue?

Thanks for the reply, anyone know of a 7200rpm 6tb or greater with no issues?

You'll need to find one that does not promote as network, NAS, Cloud, etc. The majority of those are the ones with the reboot issue. Can 100% confirm the HGST 8TB Deskstar 7200rpm does not show on warm/soft reboot unless it's connected via an external enclosure or drive dock.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You'll need to find one that does not promote as network, NAS, Cloud, etc. The majority of those are the ones with the reboot issue. Can 100% confirm the HGST 8TB Deskstar 7200rpm does not show on warm/soft reboot unless it's connected via an external enclosure or drive dock.

Damn it! :) I was just about to order one of those HGST 8TB Deskstar 7200rpm drives.

Whats a drive dock?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
How do they compare over USB 3 to the original internal setup? Are they slower, faster?

For single-drive, it's around the same read/write performance via USB 3.0 and when connected directly via SATA sled for that particular drive. The read/write of the drive is the limiting factor, not the connection. If you're running RAIDs with the drive then you'll see a performance hit. If you're just using it for storage you may not notice much of a difference.

Not all USB 3 PCIe cards are the same. Do not have your exact card, so there may be bandwith limitations if using multiple USB 3 devices at the same time.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
For single-drive, it's around the same read/write performance via USB 3.0 and when connected directly via SATA sled for that particular drive. The read/write of the drive is the limiting factor, not the connection. If you're running RAIDs with the drive then you'll see a performance hit. If you're just using it for storage you may not notice much of a difference.

Not all USB 3 PCIe cards are the same. Do not have your exact card, so there may be bandwith limitations if using multiple USB 3 devices at the same time.

Ok thank you Sir for the reply, for now I will continue to search for a 6Tb + 7200rpm drive for use inside the SATA sled.

I am running a couple of Apple 512 SSD's in Raid in there are its fast, my spinning drives are raid too so really need them inside and powering up on a warm boot.

Please if anyone knows an unaffected drive let me know.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Search the forum for the info on the "tape" fix that some have tried. Basically tape over a pin on the connection. It did NOT work well with the HGST Deskstar but believe works well for other drives.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Believe its a combination of Apple not releasing a specific update to address this (close to "EOL" for these machines) and drive manufacturers not releasing firmware to properly support. Not aware of any physical reason this should be happening, but it happens across brands with the larger drives.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Here's another data point.

Last night I slid a new 6TB WD Blue into the machine went to DU tried to format it and got an error that there wasn't enough space and the drive wouldn't mount after that. So I pulled it out tape modded it tried again and got the same error and got the same problems. So on the third boot I formatted via the terminal so I could at least get some information on what was going on and the drive formatted and mounted fine. So if you're having issues with the drive try dealing with the drive from the command line instead of the GUI.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Here's another data point.

Last night I slid a new 6TB WD Blue into the machine went to DU tried to format it and got an error that there wasn't enough space and the drive wouldn't mount after that. So I pulled it out tape modded it tried again and got the same error and got the same problems. So on the third boot I formatted via the terminal so I could at least get some information on what was going on and the drive formatted and mounted fine. So if you're having issues with the drive try dealing with the drive from the command line instead of the GUI.

Is this drive showing up for you after either cold or warm reboots?

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I haven't tried a warm reboot but it is showing up cold.

==edit==

Just tried a warm reboot and yes it's there and mounted

Hi lowendlonux, just a cordial check to see if your drive is still behaving on both warm and cold reboots?

May I confirm, you have a WD Blue 6TB, have done the pin mod, and had to format by Terminal?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Hi lowendlonux, just a cordial check to see if your drive is still behaving on both warm and cold reboots?

May I confirm, you have a WD Blue 6TB, have done the pin mod, and had to format by Terminal?
It's been fine in the few months that I've been using it but I generally don't warm boot so I'll check that. Yes I pin modded and formatted it in the terminal because disk utility gave me errors trying to format it in the GUI.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If using Disk Utility, make sure View > SHOW ALL DEVICES and SHOW SIDEBAR are set so you can access the top level physical disk. This is NOT the default view. Solves many disk formatting issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.