Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Hey y'all. Finally got Mojave installed with this method, some details below. For now main questions are:

1. With this method there is no patching necessary, and all updates can be installed normally, correct?

2. is there a way to make an old menu bar (32-bit) app I love (Meridian) work in dark mode? (text of clock is black on black). I did try (without success) the command below. Maybe there's a way to do it modifying the info.plist of the app?

defaults write com.recurringdream.meridian NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool NO

Background:

Soon after Mojave came out I tried all this on my Early 2009 Mac Pro (upgrades: 6-core intel xenon & Radeon HD 7950 GPU, wifi/bluetooth 4.0). Managed to Flash the ROM to MacPro5,1 and the BOOTROM to whatever it needed to be then (137.x I recall?), but it failed on installation, repeatedly. Gave up, stayed on High Sierra. Anyway, yesterday had reason to try again. Managed to get it working. BOOTROM updated to 140.00.x ok. Disconnected all external USB (drives, hubs, etc.), used Apple keyboard & trackpad only. But again failed install at an error "preparing" the installation, several times. Following some hints, I booted in safe mode, but then couldn't install as it required metal (drivers??). I logged into a clean admin account, and then finally it worked after 2 tries. iSight didn't work with FaceTime at first, but does after reboot (thankfully). Apple Store wouldn't download / update anything, but did after 2 reboots.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hey y'all. Finally got Mojave installed with this method, some details below. For now main questions are:

1. With this method there is no patching necessary, and all updates can be installed normally, correct?

2. is there a way to make an old menu bar (32-bit) app I love (Meridian) work in dark mode? (text of clock is black on black). I did try (without success) the command below. Maybe there's a way to do it modifying the info.plist of the app?

defaults write com.recurringdream.meridian NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool NO

Background:

Soon after Mojave came out I tried all this on my Early 2009 Mac Pro (upgrades: 6-core intel xenon & Radeon HD 7950 GPU, wifi/bluetooth 4.0). Managed to Flash the ROM to MacPro5,1 and the BOOTROM to whatever it needed to be then (137.x I recall?), but it failed on installation, repeatedly. Gave up, stayed on High Sierra. Anyway, yesterday had reason to try again. Managed to get it working. BOOTROM updated to 140.00.x ok. Disconnected all external USB (drives, hubs, etc.), used Apple keyboard & trackpad only. But again failed install at an error "preparing" the installation, several times. Following some hints, I booted in safe mode, but then couldn't install as it required metal (drivers??). I logged into a clean admin account, and then finally it worked after 2 tries. iSight didn't work with FaceTime at first, but does after reboot (thankfully). Apple Store wouldn't download / update anything, but did after 2 reboots.
MP5,1 is officially supported with Mojave. Can’t answer about the other question.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY

Background:

You said you have BootROM version 140. This is old and was included with the full Mojave installer starting with 10.14.1. It’s possible you had so many install problems because you were not using the latest version of Mojave; early versions were quite buggy.

You should update your BootROM to version 144, which is the latest (and presumably final) BootROM available. Delete your Mojave installer and empty the trash, then re-download the full installer (this will be version 10.14.6) using the Mac App Store link found in Step 4 on this page:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190

You don’t need to reinstall Mojave; just run the installer, let it update your BootROM, and you can then quit the installer and reboot.

After you have updated the BootROM, use the Software Update system preference pane to make sure you’re fully updated. Mojave is fully supported on the 5,1 and you should have no problems.

idjego

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Hi, I have a problem with my Macpro 5.1 Dual.
I wanted to upgrade to Mojave and it went wrong.
After pressing the update button from highsierra to mojave, the computer turned off to restart and I have not seen anything on the screen again. The screen has gone black and there is no way to boot or see something on the screen.
I've tried removing all hard drives and trying to boot from a highsierra usb and nothing. Also from a Mojave usb and nothing.
I installed a hard drive with HighSierra from another computer and nothing.
I tried to reset the prm and the start chang never sounds.

The ssd disk was connected to a pcSata3.
The graphics I have and have tried are, Gt120, Gtx680 flashed and an Rx580.
None can see anything on the screen. It is always black screen.

Some help??

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Do you have seen a screen like this:

macos-mojave-firmware-update-required-mac-pro.jpg

and do you have forced an interruption by pressing the power button a long time after the first long press of the button?

then you may got a firmware brick.

idjego

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Green and orange light's
Sys Pg, gpu done. Efi done light is variable,

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Green and orange light's
Sys Pg, gpu done. Efi done light is variable,
Try entering Firmware Programming mode again, if you don't a screen with an Apple OEM GPU like GT120, you have a brick. EFI DONE have to always stay lit when you press DIAG button.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
If it is damaged, can it be repaired?
If you can desolder the SPI flash, reprogram it, solder back and you already have all the equipment needed, I can show what you have to do. If not, it's cheaper to just buy a replacement backplane and install it. eBay sometimes have MP5,1 backplanes for around $75, continental US shipment included.

idjego

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
If you can desolder the SPI flash, reprogram it, solder back and you already have all the equipment needed, I can show what you have to do. If not, it's cheaper to just buy a replacement backplane and install it. eBay sometimes have MP5,1 backplanes for around $75, continental US shipment included.

If I had to desolder and weld I think I would have no problem. The problem would be to program it. Do you sell the programmed chip to be able to change it?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
If I had to desolder and weld I think I would have no problem. The problem would be to program it. Do you sell the programmed chip to be able to change it?
No. You can buy a ch341a programmer for less then $15, install flashrom from brew and program it yourself.

idjego

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Ok, I will need your help for this great task ..
These are the links that I have seen in Amazon Spain to buy the necessary tools.
Please, can you verify that they are correct?
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B081ZMCWDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_bh-9Db1MD5Y01
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B077ZBBMHN/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_wh-9DbZ6CQGGE
I have also seen a chip reader without having to desolder? Can you program without desoldering?
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07BP7S3HD/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_7h-9Db9KYTNDM
How do I inject the code and where is the code?

Thank you!

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Ok, I will need your help for this great task ..
These are the links that I have seen in Amazon Spain to buy the necessary tools.
Please, can you verify that they are correct?
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B081ZMCWDZ/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_bh-9Db1MD5Y01
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B077ZBBMHN/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_wh-9DbZ6CQGGE
I have also seen a chip reader without having to desolder? Can you program without desoldering?
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07BP7S3HD/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_7h-9Db9KYTNDM
How do I inject the code and where is the code?

Thank you!
This is not the correct thread for this.

Start reading here #928, read all my posts from there. Mojave has the generic MP51.fd inside the full installer, it's enough for boot but not for iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime.

Code:
Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/Firmware/MP51.fd

It's not possible to read or write while soldered on the MP5,1 backplane. The linked parts will work for reprogramming after desoldered.

Reactions: MacUser2525

JulianBoolean

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2010
Wow. Amazing thread, much appreciated. I've got a lot of reading to do here, so apologies if my answer is buried somewhere within.

Context: I'm having big difficulty getting my 2012 cMP 5.1, past Sierra 10.12.6. Through support with OWC, I've discovered one (I realize there may be more) of the sticking points is my Boot drive PCIe SDD. Its an old Accelsior E2. The pathway forward is supposed to be finding the original HDD, updating that, then cloning over to the Accelsior SSD Boot. Problem is I dont have the Original boot HDD. I do have HDD backup clones of my Boot PCIE, but I cannot update these either. This PCIe SSD has had a good run, I dont mind replacing if thats one of the issues I have here.

Question 1 : When / If shopping for a PCIe SSD for a cMP 5.1, what are the key specs I need to pay attention to with regards to moving past Sierra to HS -> Mojave -> Catalina?

Question 2 : Any PCie SSD Reccos from those of us on this similar pathway forward?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Wow. Amazing thread, much appreciated. I've got a lot of reading to do here, so apologies if my answer is buried somewhere within.

Context: I'm having big difficulty getting my 2012 cMP 5.1 past Sierra 10.12.6. Through support with OWC, I've discovered one (I realize there a maybe more) of the sticking points is my Boot drive PCIe SDD. Its an old Accelsior E2. The pathway forward is supposed to be finding the original HDD, updating that, then cloning over to the Accelsior SSD Boot. Problem is I dont have the Original boot HDD. I do have HDD backup clones of my Boot PCIE, but I cannot update these either. This PCIe SSD has had a good run, I dont mind replacing if thats one of the issues I have here.

Question 1 : When / If shopping for a PCIe SSD for a cMP 5.1, what are the key specs I need to pay attention to with regards to moving past Sierra to HS -> Mojave -> Catalina?

Question 2 : Any PCie SSD Reccos from those of us on this similar pathway forward?

Thanks!
Your problem with firmware upgrade is answered on the first post, but the questions are off-topic here. Go to the Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread and read the first post.

Puriwat Kaewkrathok

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Hello, I am using Mac Pro 5,1 2010

About a week ago, I wanted to update to Mojave and the programs wanted me to upgrade my Mac Pro firmware. So I did it but shortly power cut occurred. After that I tried to boot up and my Mac Pro won't boot up. I surfed internet finding solution how to fix bricked EFI and decided to buy program called "CH341A programmer" from internet then I tried to flash EFI to the chip nothing happened still bricked Power on but no boot sound. Please share your advise so we can fix this problem Thank you!

Puriwat Kaewkrathok

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Hello, I am using Mac Pro 5,1 2010

About a week ago, I wanted to update to Mojave and the programs wanted me to upgrade my Mac Pro firmware. So I did it but shortly power cut occurred. After that I tried to boot up and my Mac Pro won't boot up. I surfed internet finding solution how to fix bricked EFI and decided to buy program called "CH341A programmer" from internet then I tried to flash EFI to the chip nothing happened still bricked Power on but no boot sound. Please share your advise so we can fix this problem Thank you!

And also, my EFI Done LED is on but still unable to boot nor Flashmode

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
And also, my EFI Done LED is on but still unable to boot nor Flashmode
This is not the correct thread for this.

Start reading here #928, read all my posts from there. Mojave has the generic MP51.fd firmware image inside the full installer, it's enough for boot but not for iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime.

Code:
Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/Firmware/MP51.fd

It's not possible to read or write while soldered on the MP5,1 backplane. ch341a will work for reprogramming after the SPI is desoldered.

If you did all the steps starting from #928 correctly, your problem is not the SPI flash and you have to replace the backplane.

matmilano

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
GTX 980 (flashed), genuine MID 2010 cMP 5,1 on latest High Sierra 10.13.6 and successfully updated BootROM to 144.0.0.0.0, but no boot after that with GTX 980 - not even a chime.

Hi, I hope some owner of a flashed GTX can share his experience.
First off, thank you @tsialex and all you other competent contributers in this helpful thread.
I am not a computer pro and after seraching for some hours I feel pretty much stranded.

My apologies if this is has been already asked.
I searched this thread but could not find a solution.

To be clear from the beginning:
the MP is not bricked after the BootROM update, well, it doesn't seem to be.
And, I am not interested to install Mojave.

Like it reads in the first line of this post, I succesfully updated to BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 on my cMP 5,1 thanks to tsialex's instructions. I managed to do so with running the latest Mojave Installer (only for the firmware update) and having installed a flashed GTX 980.
No other PCIe slot is in use.

The system is installed on a 2.5" SSD (Anglebird "Apple SSD") which resides in the first HDD bay thanks to a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.

What I missed to do before the firmware update is to unplug the DisplayPort cable that connects the graphics card to an ultra wide Dell monitor with a lower-than-4k 3440x1440 resolution.
And there was a Wacom tablet attached over USB.

The Mac Pro was and is still on latest High Sierra 10.13.6.
It boots fine after I switched to an old ATI Radeon HD 4870 and connecting it to a 23" Apple Cinema HD display.
In the meanwhile I reset 3 times nvram after I read a comment about doing so in another post.
But there is still no boot when the GTX 980 is installed. I switched between Radeon and GTX a couple of times. The GTX card gets powered, a click and some lights on the mb, some drives spinning up.
No chime, no boot. With the Radeon, immediate booting.

I am writing this post from my MP5,1 with BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 on the latest HS.
Is there any chance that I will get my GTX 980 back to work ?

Thanks for any comment.
Mat

sysinfo_overview.jpg

sysinfo.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.