Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
I don't know where you got 10.13.3. Apple offers only 10.13.6 for download and the re-issued version released last October don't need the change of date at all.

Btw, 10.13.3 BootROM version is MP51.0084.B00.

Just here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

I downloaded it several times and had always the error about content corrupted, which was finally the date issue.

indeed, I first tried with version I installed last year and got same error and thought wrongly my archive was corrupted. Thus went to download it again, got same error and I ended here where I got the hint about the date.

About the ROM, I followed your instruction and used last year a link pointing to 10.13.6, thus my ROM updated to 0089 (so no alert to update the firmware).

About 10.13.3, once I used originally the 10.13.6 to update my ROM (in prevision to move to Mojave), I never downloaded it.
As I did many many trials, and as I was convinced my local record was bad, I needed to delete it to get ‘Download’ from Apple’s page. So I cannot figure out how I could get 10.13.3 if not from my last downloa

My target was to install HS in HFS+ what I succeeded. Getting the 10.13.3 was unexpected but not an issue to solve, only time matter.

Let me take opportunity to thank you about your detailed procedure allowing me to extend the life from my cMP.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
My 5,1 2012 MacPro is currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 and BootROM version MP51.0089.B00.

Next I am planning to install a Metal enabled card and looking at this possibly:

Would you say that card is a safe option?
Do you happen to know if that card will just consume a single PCI Bay?

Once I get a metal card installed and working with my 3 2K monitors, then I plan to attempt the Mojave/BootROM upgrade.

Does that sound like a smart plan?

Just wish the video card above kept the boot screen!

(BTW I run mostly Adobe CC Suite)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My 5,1 2012 MacPro is currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 and BootROM version MP51.0089.B00.

Next I am planning to install a Metal enabled card and looking at this possibly:

Would you say that card is a safe option?
Do you happen to know if that card will just consume a single PCI Bay?

Once I get a metal card installed and working with my 3 2K monitors, then I plan to attempt the Mojave/BootROM upgrade.

Does that sound like a smart plan?

Just wish the video card above kept the boot screen!

(BTW I run mostly Adobe CC Suite)
2,2 slots wide card.

Sapphire Pulse can be bought for $179 on Newegg, cable for less than $10 on eBay.

Besides the very weak NVIDIA 640 GT, AMD has the WX5100 that is single slot.

Reactions: choreo

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

OWC is notoriously overpriced:

I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus RX 580, 8GB GPU.

Lou

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
OWC is notoriously overpriced:

I'm running a Gigabyte Aorus RX 580, 8GB GPU.

Lou
From the photo the XFX is the same card OWC is selling?
[automerge]1580420514[/automerge]
Well, if these graphics cards take up PCI bay 1 &2, then I guess my ultimate goal of adding something like this SSD tray to fast PCI slot (1 or 2) is out?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
This has been discussed here and other forums. My recommendation is the Sapphire Pulse RX-580 8GB, which are pretty well-priced these days, Lots of others make lots of other cards work. It is a "slot 1 only" card (well, mostly). I have 4 PCIe cards in my cMP, including this one.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
This has been discussed here and other forums. My recommendation is the Sapphire Pulse RX-580 8GB, which are pretty well-priced these days, Lots of others make lots of other cards work. It is a "slot 1 only" card (well, mostly). I have 4 PCIe cards in my cMP, including this one.

So which one of these is the right card?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

It's the same card, the second link has more buying options (Nitro+, Nitro+ SE) that don't work for MP5,1.

Buy this one (no affiliate link):

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018

Hello,

I did it last week with same card suggested by Alex and all went well. My configuration is cMP 5.1 double Xeon. I also started by updated to High Sierra 10.13.6. Card was immediately recognized. Now I am running macOS 10.14.6.

Nevertheless, I took one with firmware flashed to allow boot screen.
With stock ones, screen will only appear after drivers loaded by macOS.

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Where did you get that card pre-flashed?

Well, mine was a second hand, which was the best option as making importation in the country I am living is not so easy.

I could suggest you to check below link

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Well, mine was a second hand, which was the best option as making importation in the country I am living is not so easy.

I could suggest you to check below link

Looking at their site it says: "A card flashed with a Mac BIOS will be able to work at PCIe 2.0 speeds, supporting twice the data rate".

Does that mean that flashing it cripples the PCI Express 3.0 advertised on the card itself, or does it matter?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Looking at their site it says: "A card flashed with a Mac BIOS will be able to work at PCIe 2.0 speeds, supporting twice the data rate".

Does that mean that flashing it cripples the PCI Express 3.0 advertised on the card itself, or does it matter?
MP5,1 is PCIe 2.0 and all PCIe 3.0 cards work at full PCIe 2.0 speeds since 138.0.0.0.0. Superseded info from MVC marketing.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
As posted above I have the Gigabyte Aorus RX580 flashed by MVC. it is a one slot card. My Highpoint 7103 card is mounted in slot 2. I highly recommend the Gigabyte card.

Lou

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
As posted above I have the Gigabyte Aorus RX580 flashed by MVC. it is a one slot card. My Highpoint 7103 card is mounted in slot 2. I highly recommend the Gigabyte card.

Lou
The only AMD Ellesmere/Polaris 10/20/30 GPUs that are 1-slot wide are Instinct MI6, WX5100 and WX7100, all workstation/professional GPUs. Gigabyte Aorus RX580 is a 2-wide or more GPU.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^OK, when I say one slot, I mean I am running it in slot one, the double wide slot with the Highpoint card in slot two. Yes, it's a double wide card that allows the use of slot two.

Lou

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
MP5,1 is PCIe 2.0 and all PCIe 3.0 cards work at full PCIe 2.0 speeds since 138.0.0.0.0. Superseded info from MVC marketing.

I know this is a bit off topic, but if I get a Pulse Sapphire 580 flashed at MVC, is it possible for the card to lose the results of being "flashed"? I am totally ignorant of the flashing process and if it is considered somewhat permanent (i.e. is there a chance it could lose the changes since I am "guessing" it is not a hardware modification?

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
I know this is a bit off topic, but if I get a Pulse Sapphire 580 flashed at MVC, is it possible for the card to lose the results of being "flashed"? I am totally ignorant of the flashing process and if it is considered somewhat permanent (i.e. is there a chance it could lose the changes since I am "guessing" it is not a hardware modification?

Hello,

You are misunderstanding. As stated by Alex, for old Mac Pro firmware, without EFI boot, throughput from the PCIE was limited to 2.5GT/s.
With new firmware, the full bandwidth is now available:5.
AMD 580 has a native PCIE 3.0 16x interface. But your MacPRO will be stick to a PCIE 2.0 up to 16x. As PCIE is reverse compatible, AMD 580 will then ‘speak’ to MacPro through the 2.0 interface which now provides full bandwidth by embedded firmware. Argument from MVC now is just marketing.

To make it short, they will only provide you ability to get the boot screen without boosting performances by running latest MacPro firmware (From Mojave).
Now if you look at many benches over the net, performances gap between PCIE 2.0 x16 and 3.0 x16 are no so significant (10~20%).

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,

You are misunderstanding. As stated by Alex, for old Mac Pro firmware, without EFI boot, throughput from the PCIE was limited to 2.5GT/s.
With new firmware, the full bandwidth is now available:5.
AMD 580 has a native PCIE 3.0 16x interface. But your MacPRO will be stick to a PCIE 2.0 up to 16x. As PCIE is reverse compatible, AMD 580 will then ‘speak’ to MacPro through the 2.0 interface which now provides full bandwidth by embedded firmware. Argument from MVC now is just marketing.

To make it short, they will only provide you ability to get the boot screen without boosting performances by running latest MacPro firmware (From Mojave).
Now if you look at many benches over the net, performances gap between PCIE 2.0 x16 and 3.0 x16 are no so significant (10~20%).
Btw, now OpenCore provides a working text boot menu for UEFI GOP GPUs, any AMD GPU after RX 4xx is a UEFI GOP GPU, so no need to flash a GPU anymore for selecting boot drives.
E86B38D1-881A-4F30-80C3-C1E5E6C08737.jpeg

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
How do you get to that screen? Option-Key like before? (Still waiting on my Sapphire Pulse 580 to arrive).
The text boot menu will always open with OpenCore, if enabled. You can define a wait time for you to select the drive and a default drive to boot after the timeout, if you don't select anything.

OpenCore on the Mac Pro

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Other than "cost", is there any downside to having a Sapphire Pulse RX580 flashed by MVC?
None.

Be aware that a lot of people bought flashed GPUs from MVC thinking that was gonna get a brand new GPU and then got an used one. Use the search and read about that, if you are interested.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Other than "cost", is there any downside to having a Sapphire Pulse RX580 flashed by MVC?

I'm now on my third MVC flashed card. The other two were Nvidia cards that got superseded by newer cards and of course the Apple Nvidia Feud. Downside - None that I know of. Everything's an upside thumbsup.gif

My current GPU is a Gigabyte Aorus RX580 that I purchased myself and forwarded to him for flashing. He has a flashing service in addition to selling cards from his inventory.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.