Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
None.

Be aware that a lot of people bought flashed GPUs from MVC thinking that was gonna get a brand new GPU and then got an used one. Use the search and read about that, if you are interested.

I ordered my video card from Newegg after reading your suggestion in post #1434 - just waiting for it to arrive. I have not yet decided if it is worth sending off to MVC.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I suspect you may already know if you need boot screens. If this is something you use with regularity, then you probably need it. But I installed my stock RX580 over a year ago and haven't missed boot screens. Not once. This is through several OS upgrades and several rounds of AMD Hardware acceleration.

Reactions: Dayo and choreo

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Me neither. Seeing the Apple logo on boot was nice, and Boot Manager was awesome, but I've just adapted and evolved. I am lucky that I see the tail end of the Apple logo and status bar just prior to the login screen showing. But I'm very interested in the amazing work being done to develop OpenCore, which I understand now has text boot pick-list capability for some.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
This 16AWG Dual Mini 6 Pin To 8 Pin PCI-e For Mac Pro Video Card Power Cable GTX1080 is the one I use on all my Mac Pros and recommend to my friends, it's well made and reliable.

The only problem is the time to arrive.
I ordered this cable above for my new Sapphire Pulse 580RX, but looks like it will be over a month to get here. Would this cable on Amazon work?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Reactions: choreo

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

[automerge]1581133421[/automerge]
Wrong link for first, this is the dual mini 6 to standard 8 from ModDIY:

Last edited:
Reactions: kohlson and choreo

Kangopop

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
MacPro 5.1, 6-Core, mid 2010, Mojave 10.14.3 (140.0.0.0.0), Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, Radeon RX 580.

The thread, Updating my MacPro 5.1 from 140.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0 does not work.
Dare I update to 144.0.0.0.0 and is it easy to brick the MacPro?

I've done this before but I’m more afraid that I might fail to update from 140.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0, so you are welcome to explain every step clearly so I'm not making any mistake.

Have read through the information but I still feel unsure.

I do these steps?

1 Download the full Mojave 10.14.6 installer from Mac App Store.

2 Open the full installer and do the firmware upgrade. I shutdown the computer and start it by holding the finger on the button and releasing it after the sound stops.

3 After the reboot I check if BootROM is 144.0.0.0.0.

4 Upgrade full Mojave to 10.14.6 from App Store.

I don't have Air Display installed so no black screen for me?

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I am currently waiting to receive my new Sapphire Radeon RX 580 flashed video card back from MVC. Once it comes in, my plan is to install it in PCI Slot #2, which I think would give me plenty of room to add an OWC Accelsior 4M2 PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter Card into PCI Slot #1 as a boot drive (eventually).

Does that sound like a feasible plan?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
would that not blockSlot #2?
Nope.
If you take a look, you'll see that there is extra space between slots 1 & 2. This is to account for cards like the RX580 (double-wide cards). Some GPUs are even wider, aka 2.2 slot cards, and they will cover slot 2.

Note that it can be a tight fit for something in slot 2. Some (like me) have added a very thin spacer/shim to prevent touching. But no issues.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Nope.
If you take a look, you'll see that there is extra space between slots 1 & 2. This is to account for cards like the RX580 (double-wide cards). Some GPUs are even wider, aka 2.2 slot cards, and they will cover slot 2.

Note that it can be a tight fit for something in slot 2. Some (like me) have added a very thin spacer/shim to prevent touching. But no issues.

Spacer/Shim?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Spacer/Shim?

A wedge to keep space between GPU in slot one, and whatever card you put in slot 2.

This works for some, but simply caused heat issues for me. I ended up putting the GPU in slot 2 (blocking slot 3 from use), and my SSD7101A in slot 1. This works best for me.

Last edited:

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Thanks, tsialex, for all of the information.

Do any of these firmware upgrades cause issues if I want to boot into earlier OS's at some point? I use a variety of PCIe cards.

I successfully upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.6 and did that firmware upgrade, and am now ready to go to Mojave with an MSI Radeon RX-560 4GB installed, but am hesitant to do another firmware update, because I can't risk bricking it, and also want to occasionally boot into Mavericks 10.9 for some old projects.

I also don't mind so much not having the boot screen, but if that limits my troubleshooting ability, I think I will just stay on High Sierra and put the original ATI Radeon 5770 GPU back in. The only tested and approved GPU for my Pro Tools system is the Radeon RX-560, and it looks like that one will never get the boot screen.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks, tsialex, for all of the information.

Do any of these firmware upgrades cause issues if I want to boot into earlier OS's at some point? I use a variety of PCIe cards.

I successfully upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.6 and did that firmware upgrade, and am now ready to go to Mojave with an MSI Radeon RX-560 4GB installed, but am hesitant to do another firmware update, because I can't risk bricking it, and also want to occasionally boot into Mavericks 10.9 for some old projects.

I also don't mind so much not having the boot screen, but if that limits my troubleshooting ability, I think I will just stay on High Sierra and put the original ATI Radeon 5770 GPU back in. The only tested and approved GPU for my Pro Tools system is the Radeon RX-560, and it looks like that one will never get the boot screen.
It's on the notes that you still can boot 10.6, or any previous version, if your video card support it. BootROM upgrades have no influence with what macOS releases you can boot.

Upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0, MP51.0089.B00 don't have the current Intel microcodes and don't support a long list of corrections.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I am getting ready to attempt the jump from High Sierra to Mojave now that I have my new Metal GPU installed the past week and it seems tp be working fine. Just wanted to confirm my next steps to see if I have this right?

Currently here is where I am at:
2012 Mac Pro 5,1
High Sierra 10.13.6
Boot ROM MP51.0089.B00
GPU - Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB (flashed by MVC last week)
Boot Drive is Samsung 500 GB 540 EVO installed on PCI Velocity Duo card in Slot#4

From all I have read here is what I "think" I need to do from your original post?

1. Download the full Mac App Store installer for Mojave. If you ever downloaded any previous version of Mojave, have it saved in any of Mac Pro external drives, you have to delete it/move to a offline disk and then restart your Mac. You need the current Mojave 10.14.5 or 10.14.6 full installer from the Mac App Store, no previous version have the needed 144.0.0.0.0 BootROM.
  2. Open the installer, do the firmware upgrade as asked.
  3. After the reboot, open System Information and check if you have BootROM 144.0.0.0.0, if yes, you can do a createinstallmedia USB clean install (read NVIDIA GTX 680/780/Quadro K5000 note) or upgrade your previous High Sierra install.
I have read elsewhere that it is recommended that I perform the three PRAM resets at some point? Is that right?

Am I missing anything?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
is not necessary for the firmware update alone
This is not so simple.

While you can upgrade to a new firmware while running High Sierra over HFS+, Mojave hacked to run from HFS+ won't work for firmware upgrades at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.