Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
GTX 980 (flashed), genuine MID 2010 cMP 5,1 on latest High Sierra 10.13.6 and successfully updated BootROM to 144.0.0.0.0, but no boot after that with GTX 980 - not even a chime.

Hi, I hope some owner of a flashed GTX can share his experience.
First off, thank you @tsialex and all you other competent contributers in this helpful thread.
I am not a computer pro and after seraching for some hours I feel pretty much stranded.

My apologies if this is has been already asked.
I searched this thread but could not find a solution.

To be clear from the beginning:
the MP is not bricked after the BootROM update, well, it doesn't seem to be.
And, I am not interested to install Mojave.

Like it reads in the first line of this post, I succesfully updated to BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 on my cMP 5,1 thanks to tsialex's instructions. I managed to do so with running the latest Mojave Installer (only for the firmware update) and having installed a flashed GTX 980.
No other PCIe slot is in use.

The system is installed on a 2.5" SSD (Anglebird "Apple SSD") which resides in the first HDD bay thanks to a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.

What I missed to do before the firmware update is to unplug the DisplayPort cable that connects the graphics card to an ultra wide Dell monitor with a lower-than-4k 3440x1440 resolution.
And there was a Wacom tablet attached over USB.

The Mac Pro was and is still on latest High Sierra 10.13.6.
It boots fine after I switched to an old ATI Radeon HD 4870 and connecting it to a 23" Apple Cinema HD display.
In the meanwhile I reset 3 times nvram after I read a comment about doing so in another post.
But there is still no boot when the GTX 980 is installed. I switched between Radeon and GTX a couple of times. The GTX card gets powered, a click and some lights on the mb, some drives spinning up.
No chime, no boot. With the Radeon, immediate booting.

I am writing this post from my MP5,1 with BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 on the latest HS.
Is there any chance that I will get my GTX 980 back to work ?

Thanks for any comment.
Mat

View attachment 884864

View attachment 884851
Maxwell NVIDIA GPUs that are not flashed with Mac EFI will only work with web drivers correctly installed, you need to reinstall the web drivers. Without the web drivers correctly installed and with the NVIDIA NVRAM setting enabled, your GPU won't work and you won't see a screen on your display.

Btw, every time you clear the NVRAM, you will need to re-enable the NVIDIA NVRAM setting again booting with a working GPU, or using screen sharing/ssh/etc, and then opening Terminal:

Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"

The correct thread for help with NVIDIA drivers is FAQ - Nvidia Web Drivers, your problem is off-topic here and not related to MP5,1 firmware.

Last edited:

Puriwat Kaewkrathok

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
This is not the correct thread for this.

Start reading here #928, read all my posts from there. Mojave has the generic MP51.fd firmware image inside the full installer, it's enough for boot but not for iCloud/iMessage/FaceTime.

Code:
Install\ macOS\ Mojave/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/Firmware/MP51.fd

It's not possible to read or write while soldered on the MP5,1 backplane. ch341a will work for reprogramming after the SPI is desoldered.

If you did all the steps starting from #928 correctly, your problem is not the SPI flash and you have to replace the backplane.
I managed to successfully flashed but got a new problem. When pressed the DIAG button and GPU OK light started to flashing. Do you have any idea about this? and still no boot sound

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I managed to successfully flashed but got a new problem. When pressed the DIAG button and GPU OK light started to flashing. Do you have any idea about this? and still no boot sound
If you did the process correctly, you would boot without a problem. Or you did something wrong or your backplane is damaged elsewhere.

Btw, don't use any NVDIA GPU that need the web drivers to work for your tests, it won't show a screen until you re-enable the web drivers.

Last edited:

matmilano

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
Maxwell NVIDIA GPUs that are not flashed with Mac EFI will only work with web drivers correctly installed, you need to reinstall the web drivers. Without the web drivers correctly installed and with the NVIDIA NVRAM setting enabled, your GPU won't work and you won't see a screen on your display.

Btw, every time you clear the NVRAM, you will need to re-enable the NVIDIA NVRAM setting again booting with a working GPU, or using screen sharing/ssh/etc, and then opening Terminal:

Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"

The correct thread for help with NVIDIA drivers is FAQ - Nvidia Web Drivers, your problem is off-topic here and not related to MP5,1 firmware.

Thanks, tsialex.
I will try with re-installing the web driver and setting the boot argument and post the outcome. I posted my question here because this morning before doing the BootROM update the GTX 980 worked fine which makes me suspect a correlation.

BTW, when the Mac won’t boot and not even chime can this still be web driver software related ?

Could the firmware update change how power distribution is handled from the PSU to PCIe and other components like memory banks ?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
BTW, when the Mac won’t boot and not even chime can this still be web driver software related ?
GTX 980 is a Maxwell GPU and only works if the web drivers are correctly installed and activated.

Could the firmware update change how power distribution is handled from the PSU to PCIe and other components like memory banks ?
No. Your problem is that you cleaned the NVRAM and removed the "nvda_drv=1" boot argument.

Your problem is not related with MP5,1 firmware at all and the firmware updates didn't change anything related to your GPU not working.

Danzagoonie

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
Hi all,
I currently have a MP 5.1. Current only running Sierra. I want to install Mojave, but i know i must install high Sierra first, but that also requires the firmware update to proceed.
I'm currently running a GTX660, i have no EFI GPU.
Below are the hardware details.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 24 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 2047 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x11c0

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.06.28.00.66

Metal: Supported

I was going to buy one of these cards in hoping i could simply plug it in, run the high sierra installer and do the firmware update process which involves holding down the power button and hoping it will allow me install the firmware update and also high sierra, followed by Mojave.

Is there any issues anyone can see here?

Or should i just by the GT120 to install high sierra and continue using the current GTX660 thats in the mac pro?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi all,
I currently have a MP 5.1. Current only running Sierra. I want to install Mojave, but i know i must install high Sierra first, but that also requires the firmware update to proceed.
I'm currently running a GTX660, i have no EFI GPU.
Below are the hardware details.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 24 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.39f5

SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 2047 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x11c0

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.06.28.00.66

Metal: Supported

I was going to buy one of these cards in hoping i could simply plug it in, run the high sierra installer and do the firmware update process which involves holding down the power button and hoping it will allow me install the firmware update and also high sierra, followed by Mojave.

Is there any issues anyone can see here?

Or should i just by the GT120 to install high sierra and continue using the current GTX660 thats in the mac pro?

An Apple OEM GPU or a Mac EFI GPU is required, you won't upgrade to MP51.0089.B00 without one.

Danzagoonie

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
An Apple OEM GPU or a Mac EFI GPU is required, you won't upgrade to MP51.0089.B00 without one.

Hi,
Thanks. Is there any better or prefered option?
If i get one of these 680 / 770s or the K5000, i'll still be able to do the upgrade?
Or just get the Apple GPU/GT120 to do the upgrade.
I'm more leaning towards GTX680/770
or even going for the RX580

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,
Thanks. Is there any better or prefered option?
If i get one of these 680 / 770s or the K5000, i'll still be able to do the upgrade?
Or just get the Apple GPU/GT120 to do the upgrade.
I'm more leaning towards GTX680/770
or even going for the RX580
These eBay prices for used 2012 era NVIDIA GPUs are just stupid.

K5000 and GTX 770 are not flash yourself GPUs, GTX 680 is if the card you buy follow the eVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition reference, try to find one like 02G-P4-2680-KR and flash yourself. This is the best instructions Step-by-Step Instructions for Flashing GTX680.

AMD RX 580 needs to be 3rd-party flashed or won’t work for the first upgrade requirement, this you can't flash and have to buy already flashed. You can enable Mojave x264/H265 hardware acceleration with a RX 580.

Last edited:

Danzagoonie

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
These eBay prices for old NVIDIA GPUs are just stupid. K5000 and GTX 770 are not flash yourself GPUs, GTX 680 is if the card you buy follow the eVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition reference, try to find one like 02G-P4-2680-KR and flash yourself.

AMD RX 580 needs to be 3rd-party flashed or won’t work for the first upgrade requirement, this you can't flash and have to buy already flashed.

I've read through the instructions and I guess I was trying to see if I could get one card that i'd be able to install to allow me to do the firmware update as well as upgrade up to Mojave.
The cards that are being sold have been flashed to be Apple EFI cards. The price is in AUS, so it is what it is.
I can spend the $290 and get the evga card, or spend $100 on a GT120 do the firmware upgrade and I was hoping that the current 660 GTX would work with Mojave even though its not listed as a supported card, it still says in the system details that metal is supported. I though thats all that was required.

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Succeeded in updating 5,1 2009 MacPro!. General regrets about Mojave aside (needed to upgrade for just one reason, otherwise like HS much better. Dark mode is nice though)…

Wondering if anyone has seen some strange display problems with very old Apple Displays?

I have a 22" Apple Cinema Display with ADC connection and a DVI adaptor, in turn connected to AMD Radeon HD 7950. I use it as a secondary side monitor so not crucial. However, the right 2/3 of the screen diplays faint vertical lines every other pixel it seems. Like pinstripes. I've tried rebooting, SMC & PRAM resets, unplugging connections, etc.

Anyone else? Better yet, any solution? (I know get a new monitor! too cheap when it works well enough)

It's a bit hard to see but:

Mojave Video Glitches (1).jpg

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Try swapping in a different monitor and se if there are similar issues. Less likely but worth a shot - try swapping in different DVI adapter.

Can you boot to another version of the OS, like HS, and see if the issue is still present?

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Try swapping in a different monitor and se if there are similar issues. Less likely but worth a shot - try swapping in different DVI adapter.

Can you boot to another version of the OS, like HS, and see if the issue is still present?
I'm sure it's Mojave + this monitor + this connection + this card. This same physical configuration on High Sierra a month ago (and for years before, with original graphics card) was just fine.

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Hello Guys,

Got my metal card (RX580 with EFI Boot) and ready to switch to Mojave my CMP5.1 2012 (then maybe Catalina later). Before the switch, I was willing to upgrade a current drive in Sierra to High Sierra. So, I am fighting since hours with an error: the 10.13.6 image from Apple is corrupted! 1 year ago, I downloaded successfully and kept on my Mac. Any bootdrive with it will fail. Launching it directly from application section fails too. I just downloaded again from Mac Apps store, and got same error (picture attached).

I started to run of ideas. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

ps: I want to keep a drive in HFS+ with graphic card drivers still compatible with my 580, to switch back from bootcamp simply.

Attachments

• High Sierra_Failed.png
    High Sierra_Failed.png
    939.1 KB · Views: 190

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018

As @IndioX suggests above, resetting the date on your MP (and turning off network time) should enable this to proceed.

Many thanks as well as to Indiox. I was feeling it was a kind of intended limitations...
But the error message got is really (....)!! No words about certificate. Once it can be downloaded by the official channel, this do need to be explicitly written somewhere in my opinion.

Gonna try as soon as possible.

JCGamble

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
Just took my mid-2010 Mac Pro from Yosemite to High Sierra in the hopes to going to Mojave. Boot RAM is MP51.0089.B00 and High Sierra 10.13.6. I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 but no idea if it is flashed. One thing the has happened is that Wi-fi is no longer functioning - "Wi-Fi: No hardware Installed" error. I am now basically scared to move forward and considering resorting back. Anyone else experience this issue?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Just took my mid-2010 Mac Pro from Yosemite to High Sierra in the hopes to going to Mojave. Boot RAM is MP51.0089.B00 and High Sierra 10.13.6. I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 but no idea if it is flashed. One thing the has happened is that Wi-fi is no longer functioning - "Wi-Fi: No hardware Installed" error. I am now basically scared to move forward and considering resorting back. Anyone else experience this issue?
Maybe you have one of the now unsupported AirPort Extreme cards, Apple removed support for several old cards with Mojave. Boot a macOS version where it worked and check the model.

You can use this command to show the PCIe ID (manufacturer and model) when macOS don't support the AirPort, then you search for it.
Code:
ioreg -r -n ARPT | grep IOName

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.25.42.png

This table for Atheros models will help:
Code:
pci168c,2a AR9281 
pci168c,24 AR5418/5133
pci168c,2a AR9280 
pci168c,30 AR9380 
pci168c,34 AR94621 
pci168c,2a AR9283 
pci168c,2b AR9285 
pci168c,2e AR9287 
pci168c,2b AR9285 
pci168c,2e AR9287 
pci168c,2a AR9280 
pci168c,30 AR9380 
pci168c,32 AR94851 
pci168c,32 AR94851

I'll add one for Broadcom models later.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Wouldn't it be easier to go to "Wi-Fi" In "System Information" and read the card information from there?

Lou

MacForumsUser

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2012
This is the Apple Support page where you can get the link for the 10.13.6 Mac App Store Installer (you need this even if you already are on 10.13.6). see the image below. Note, if you never used Mac App Store before, you need to validate your account first and download a free app before trying to get High Sierra View attachment 793503

First of all, apparently I missed all this manual firmware update nonsense, so thanks a BAZILLION for all your help to help us squeeze the last bits of life from our Mac Pros!

Secondly, I'm running Catalina 10.15.2, and I am trying to download the High Sierra 10.13.6 installer, and I cannot.

I clicked your link above, found the link to "Get macOS High Sierra," and it took me to the App Store. When I clicked the "Get" button, it launched System Preferences > Software Update utility and started downloading. I let it go overnight. When I came back this morning, I received a message saying the update couldn't run because it was too old.

Is there a way I can download the installer and bypass the Software Update utility, perhaps via Terminal? Or, when the download finishes, where is the file kept? I see nothing in the /Applications or /tmp folders.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
First of all, apparently I missed all this manual firmware update nonsense, so thanks a BAZILLION for all your help to help us squeeze the last bits of life from our Mac Pros!

Secondly, I'm running Catalina 10.15.2, and I am trying to download the High Sierra 10.13.6 installer, and I cannot.

I clicked your link above, found the link to "Get macOS High Sierra," and it took me to the App Store. When I clicked the "Get" button, it launched System Preferences > Software Update utility and started downloading. I let it go overnight. When I came back this morning, I received a message saying the update couldn't run because it was too old.

Is there a way I can download the installer and bypass the Software Update utility, perhaps via Terminal? Or, when the download finishes, where is the file kept? I see nothing in the /Applications or /tmp folders.
You can always use installinstallmacos.py, download it from here https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts, you need to download the 17G66 build.
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 15.38.09.png

MiguelAnge

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2018
Many thanks as well as to Indiox. I was feeling it was a kind of intended limitations...
But the error message got is really (....)!! No words about certificate. Once it can be downloaded by the official channel, this do need to be explicitly written somewhere in my opinion.

Hi.

A short follow-up: modifying date worked perfectly! I have now High Sierra in HFS+ allowing to get out from bootcamp easily.
I have upgraded twice the bootrom and I am now under Mojave 10.14.6 with all running smooth.

Thanks for the KEY hint and a big (...) to Apple who did not reply me and put 0 indications in the official downloading page.
Link on App Store is pointing to HS 10.13.6 while after the download, it is only 10.13.3. Not a big deal, but what a mess in terms of information sharing...

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi.

A short follow-up: modifying date worked perfectly! I have now High Sierra in HFS+ allowing to get out from bootcamp easily.
I have upgraded twice the bootrom and I am now under Mojave 10.14.6 with all running smooth.

Thanks for the KEY hint and a big (...) to Apple who did not reply me and put 0 indications in the official downloading page.
Link on App Store is pointing to HS 10.13.6 while after the download, it is only 10.13.3. Not a big deal, but what a mess in terms of information sharing...
I don't know where you got 10.13.3. Apple offers only 10.13.6 for download and the re-issued version released last October don't need the change of date at all.

Btw, 10.13.3 BootROM version is MP51.0084.B00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.